Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mia_mae said:
@SPerryPeoplemag UK
"A night out for Kate with her (future) in-laws. #katemiddleton joined Charles and Camilla at the ballet in London this evening"

waiting for pictures

Ooh! I hope that's accurate. Formal event so it'll be exciting to see if she's sporting any engagement present jewelry.

(I hope it's okay to post a link here of the dress). In this photo Diana was feeling ill from her soon to be announced pregnancy so her eyes are closed!

This dress is lilac colored, but I like the overall image it gives, dreamy, etc. An updated dress inspired by something like this could be quite pretty, and a departure from the usual styles Kate wears. When Diana was walking, moving in this dress it sort of floated around her and downplayed Diana's height, etc. I am a designer and I could easily imagine taking inspiration from this image, modernizing it, it would look quite lovely I think making the long walk down the carpet at the wedding.:wub: It will be the main day she has to be able to play the fairy princess with a dress that can be a little bit over the top. (I also hope she wears flowers somehow in her hair as Fergie did, revealing a tiara later when she was married.)

MelissaAdrian wrote: "And again I doubt McQueen would be insulted to be compared to Oldfield as was insinuated, any more than Oldfield would be to be compared to Mcqueen. They are both incredible designers, whose talents have allowed them to be given the title of a courture designer."

I agree too, that it is doubtful Alexander McQueen would be insulted, mostly for the reason he passed away over a year ago.... ;)

Kate of course is free to wear whatever color she likes, style she wants, designer she chooses, etc. and it certainly is not negative to speculate on that, and give opinions. Isn't that the point of this forum, to discuss the subjects of the threads, and not to be "negative" and speak down to other posters?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/Princess Diana/DianapregnantwithWilliam.jpg

There used to be the trend that women would marry in whatever was considered their best/finest dress whatever the color. I find that interesting how wedding dresses have changed over the decades.

That rhyme about the dress colors is familiar to me too. It would make a superstitious person nervous to wear much other than white or blue! :eek:Despite that though I would encourage most women to wear whatever color they like, and looks well on them. Of course Kate also has the challenge of the big church wedding where her dress should look well on camera, in person, and not fade into the background of such impressive surroundings (which could be why a lot of royal brides choose an impressive train too as it makes a big impression just by sheer size)

The dress looks like a bad 1980's prom dress. And I think the last thing Kate needs, considering all the other comparisons to Diana especially with the ring, is to have a dress which is inspired by her. She needs to be her own person.

And flowers in the hair? Please tell me you don't mean a wreath like Fergie? Kate is so beautiful and modern, I feel if she wore a dress like the one you posted, and flowers like Fergie, we'd feel like we went back 20 years ago.

Diana was a style icon of her time. But unlike someone like Princes Grace, she was not timeless. Most of her gowns and such were beautiful for the time period, 80's-90's, but are out dated now. There are some beautiful exceptions to the rule.

What ever color, and I don't see her straying from royal tradition of some shade of white, maybe in the under skirts a bit of pink or purple might be found but mainly white, she needs to be her own person. She needs to make a break from being compared to her late soon to be mother in law. No one can compare to Diana, and Kate tries, she will crumble. Let her make her own mark.

@SPerryPeoplemag UK
"A night out for Kate with her (future) in-laws. #katemiddleton joined Charles and Camilla at the ballet in London this evening"

waiting for pictures

Can't wait to see these pictures. First I've heard of Kate and any interest of Ballet.

I'm just not looking forward to another comparison to Diana. Here we go again...

Can't wait to see these pictures. First I've heard of Kate and any interest of Ballet.

I'm just not looking forward to another comparison to Diana. Here we go again...
Wow! excited to see these photos as well. Omg so wait is this as in like a public function was this visit by Charles and Camilla a public engagement or was it a personal trip.

Wow! excited to see these photos as well. Omg so wait is this as in like a public function was this visit by Charles and Camilla a public engagement or was it a personal trip.

Now thinking about it I believe it wasn't an "engagement" but rather a private affair. So I guess pictures should be unlikely

Now thinking about it I believe it wasn't an "engagement" but rather a private affair. So I guess pictures should be unlikely

You never know, we might see one. The lunches were private too, but there is always a photographer around somewhere.:)

Dang! that sucks maybe we'll get lucky and get some of them departing? There had to be some journalists/photographers there otherwise how would they know where they were. Hoping it's something like the lunch where we got pics of them leaving.

I wish she would chose something inspired by the Abbey, the surroundings of the first time William will see her in all the pomp of his position. After al these years he has probably seen her in all kind of situations and in all kinds of clothing but she surely never dressed like a real princess to avoid comments. Even her evening dresses were quite conservative. But that is her chance! Go for it, Catherine and wear a dress fit for a future queen in the place where the queens are crowned!

Queen Victoria is reported to have worn the first ever white wedding gown in 1840...that's 171 years ago, so it depends on your definition of "fairly recent."

Victoria may have popularized it, but Mary Queen of Scots wore white for her wedding to the French Dauphin long before that.

But white as the universal color for wedding gowns is a fairly recent trend, imo.

I wore a misty pale gray trimmed with silver for my wedding. And I'm not far away!:ROFLMAO:

The ad for that cup cannot be serious. Is it?!!!

My grandmother wore pale grey silk with silver embroidery at her wedding in 1920. We still have the gown, it is lovely.

The ceremony (including vows, readings and music) will be available on iTunes.

The Royal Wedding - The Official Album by Choir Of Westminster Abbey & James O'Donnell - Preorder The Royal Wedding - The Official Album on iTunes

What ever color, and I don't see her straying from royal tradition of some shade of white, maybe in the under skirts a bit of pink or purple might be found but mainly white, she needs to be her own person. She needs to make a break from being compared to her late soon to be mother in law. No one can compare to Diana, and Kate tries, she will crumble. Let her make her own mark.

Definitely agree. I can't even imagine the fuss that would be made if her wedding dress was inspired by something Diana wore.

Last edited:
Victoria may have popularized it, but Mary Queen of Scots wore white for her wedding to the French Dauphin long before that.

But white as the universal color for wedding gowns is a fairly recent trend, imo.

Mary Stuart's white dress had a different reason: in the renaissance white was the colour of the Court in mourning. When she married the Dauphin Francis in april 1558, the Court of France was in official mourning for the Dowager Queen of Francis I., Eleonore of Castile (Leonor de Austria) who had died only 6 weeks before the wedding date. Thus Mary wore white as the colour of mourning for French queens and princesses. She wore white with black applications again on her second wedding to Lord Darnley, because by then she herself was one of the "White Queens" (a "Reine Blanche") of France which was the name for the widow of a French king - a queen in mourning.

:previous:

The charities include some based in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, to reflect the couple’s close ties to and affection for the three countries following visits by Prince William in the past.

That the reach of selected charitable causes should include Australia, Canada and New Zealand, and at the request of the couple, is particularly heart warming.

William indeed seems to have taken all three countries to heart and I'm sure such gestures of goodwill, encouragement and affection will be heartily reciprocated throughout his life.

Last edited:
Mary Stuart's white dress had a different reason: in the renaissance white was the colour of the Court in mourning. When she married the Dauphin Francis in april 1558, the Court of France was in official mourning for the Dowager Queen of Francis I., Eleonore of Castile (Leonor de Austria) who had died only 6 weeks before the wedding date. Thus Mary wore white as the colour of mourning for French queens and princesses. She wore white with black applications again on her second wedding to Lord Darnley, because by then she herself was one of the "White Queens" (a "Reine Blanche") of France which was the name for the widow of a French king - a queen in mourning.

With all due respect, Mary Stuart chose white on her own, there was no mourning as far as I know. White was highly unusual for weddings at the time. White is the traditional color of mourning in France. When she wed Darnley, she chose a black gown with a great mourning hood.

I am presently reading a book on Royal Marriages by Leslie Carroll. It confirms a white gown for her marriage to the Dauphin. It also states that at both her subsequent marriages "Over her weddig gown she wore her deuil blanc, a white sack that covered her from head to toe - the traditional mouring garment for French Queens - emblematic of her status as a widow, and by extension, the Dowager Queen of France".

With all due respect, Mary Stuart chose white on her own, there was no mourning as far as I know. White was highly unusual for weddings at the time. White is the traditional color of mourning in France. When she wed Darnley, she chose a black gown with a great mourning hood.

When Mary married Francis II, it was less than two months after the death of Eleanor of Austria, Francis I's second wife (and dowager queen). So yes, the court would have been in mourning, meaning Mary would have worn the traditional color of white. I don't know how long the prescribed period of mourning was in the French court, but one could safely say more than two months. So her wedding dress would have been white, as that was the color of mourning.

Kate was effectively with the Prince of wales and Camilla yesterday evening at the Royal Theatre in Covent Garden to see the last representation of the Ballet "Alice in Wonderland". People just understood the trio was there when they salute at the end of the Ballet. They salute them in the Royal Box and Kate was sat between charles and camilla. Just read that (dont remember in which newspaper) a few minutes ago.

Kate was effectively with the Prince of wales and Camilla yesterday evening at the Royal Theatre in Covent Garden to see the last representation of the Ballet "Alice in Wonderland". People just understood the trio was there when they salute at the end of the Ballet. They salute them in the Royal Box and Kate was sat between charles and camilla. Just read that (dont remember in which newspaper) a few minutes ago.

maybe here ;)
Kate Middleton Attends Ballet with Charles and Camilla : People.com

When Mary married Francis II, it was less than two months after the death of Eleanor of Austria, Francis I's second wife (and dowager queen). So yes, the court would have been in mourning, meaning Mary would have worn the traditional color of white. I don't know how long the prescribed period of mourning was in the French court, but one could safely say more than two months. So her wedding dress would have been white, as that was the color of mourning.

I read that that (mourning) was the reason everyone at court did not want Mary to wear white for her wedding; she was urged to dress in blue, instead.
But Mary insisted, and got her way.

While the information to past royal weddings is very much appreciated, let's try to focus on William and Catherine's wedding.

The dress looks like a bad 1980's prom dress. And I think the last thing Kate needs, considering all the other comparisons to Diana especially with the ring, is to have a dress which is inspired by her. She needs to be her own person.

And flowers in the hair? Please tell me you don't mean a wreath like Fergie? Kate is so beautiful and modern, I feel if she wore a dress like the one you posted, and flowers like Fergie, we'd feel like we went back 20 years ago.

Diana was a style icon of her time. But unlike someone like Princes Grace, she was not timeless. Most of her gowns and such were beautiful for the time period, 80's-90's, but are out dated now. There are some beautiful exceptions to the rule.

Wow, this is getting tiring. I feel like I could have mentioned any dress and you would hate it. As I wrote not a copy of that dress but something dreamy looking like that, modernized. (Yet Kate already seems to wear a lot of 80's inspired outfits though so not really a stretch.)

I am the first person to say I hope she doesn't copy Diana. Yet grand wedding dresses always call to the past in some way, to some era. In fact it is usually the one day women will indulge their romantic fantasies of fashion from the past.

As for a flower "wreath" no. Fresh flowers in her hair which many brides choose now would be very pretty. I mention Fergie as in how she went in single, not royal with flowers, and emerged married and revealing the tiara which was nice and surprisingly humble.

Also I wrote I liked the idea of a fairy princess like, floaty dress in white, not lilac as in Diana's photo. If you want to pick apart my posts relentlessly please read them completely first, and even then give me a break. I come here to have fun and speculate.

Very interesting posts guys about Mary, I didn't realize white was the color of mourning then. Yet, come to think of it, recently I have seen a movie from the Philippines which shows a funeral where the mourners also wore all white. :flowers:

I hope Kate will choose a dress that is right for her, and for the church occasion, because she will have to live with the photos for years to come. It is fun to speculate on several types of dresses, colors, hairstyles, makeup, etc. We may all be very surprised what she chooses, I hope so. I know the sort of dress I would design for her (more ethereal), and I will enjoy seeing what she does wear because I keep going in circles wondering. At least the wedding is coming soon! :p

ghost_night554 said:

It's cute she reads Hello and I know we've heard it before but it is sweet to be reminded that the wedding dress is secret because Kate wants to surprise her husband to be! ;) (not sure why that means they can't announce designer but it's ok )

:previous:

The first article is funny thinking of them picking up stuff from the local store must give people a turn to be in line with Prince William picking up a Flake bar or something! :lol:

The second article is a little mean. Dishing about public figures on a forum is one thing, but I don't really like when people do it in magazines. Kate isn't thrilling to me either in the fashion department and I roll my eyes when I see her being called a fashion icon suddenly just because they are getting married. Yet I am interested in the wedding dress as I've posted before. He says Kate isn't a "Fashion Bunny", uhhhh, who is? What a weird expression. If he means she's not big into fashion, she does not have to be to look presentable. Also who knows Kate may surprise people as time goes on.

Did he just offer that opinion to get himself some press, etc. or was he asked to comment on Kate?

MRSJ: I also like the keeping the dress a secret from William, that's nice. I guess that means they don't want to announce the designer so not to even suggest the style by their previous designs, or in case there are some press who would target the designer to get secret pics, etc. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom