Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little surprised that the name of the designer of the wedding dress is still a secret. Surprised because quite frankly it must be so difficult keeping this key piece of information private - the press must be constantly watching the movements of all the likely designers/ trying to find out what they're busy working on during the whole of April etc. I think it's brilliant that at the moment we are still guessing. But how long is it likely to remain under wraps? Is there likely to be an announcement / have any royal brides kept this information secret right up until the big day?

I'm getting confused. Is it or is it not a "done deal" that Sarah Burton is designing The Dress?

I'm going to have to think about this. Burton's designs certainly are different from anyone else's:

Kate Middleton's Royal wedding dress: Sarah Burton unveils collection for Alexander McQueen | Mail Online

That link has a few pictures I hadn't seen yesterday or earlier today.

I can picture Kate in the style of the sapphire/chipped porcelain dress, but any of these styles would be a departure (IMO) from what Kate usually wears. Of course, that's what many want on their wedding day.

None of them look "princess-like" to me, but I'm of a different generation. What do younger women think?

The dress she designed for Sarah Buys was nothing like the runway gowns. And

By princess like I hope you don't think Diana or Sarah or even Sophie. We need no cupcakes please, well Sophie's wasn't too bad.

It isn't official Burton is the designer, any more than when everyone said Oldfield. It will never be confirmed by designer on RF. It won't be confirmed till the wedding day and we see the dress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little surprised that the name of the designer of the wedding dress is still a secret. Surprised because quite frankly it must be so difficult keeping this key piece of information private - the press must be constantly watching the movements of all the likely designers/ trying to find out what they're busy working on during the whole of April etc. I think it's brilliant that at the moment we are still guessing. But how long is it likely to remain under wraps? Is there likely to be an announcement / have any royal brides kept this information secret right up until the big day?

Maybe that is the point, it isn't a logical designer. Maybe she has gone with an up and coming, or perhaps not even british though I hope not. They probably have purposely let the rumors of Oldfield and now Burton out, to keep people off the track of the real designer.

^^^^
And that was how many years ago? The designers of the most recent royal brides including the minor ones haven't been released I don't believe. That's the way it should stay.

Not sure if this has been posted before. What some Canadian designers would have Catherine wear on her wedding day:

CTV.ca | Princess Bride. What Should She Wear? Canada's top designers weigh in

Jay Godfrey's dress is divine. I think Kate would look stunning in it. If a short shrug or bolero was made to go with it for inside the church during the ceremony, that would take it up to that next level.

Other designs I really liked were Tissh by Gloria Lee and Stema by Stefani Mas. I especially love the fact that Stefani Mas' design looks like vintage Dior. If it lost the poof at the shoulder and some of the volume in the skirt, but kept the overall concept, I think it would be perfect.

I am absolutely floored and trying to understand the connection between Kate's perceived snobbery, her battle with the business machine like operation such as the British Royal institution (and apparently she is winning) as well her desire to keep wedding dress private.

File that post under "Some People Will Say Anything For Attention."

Frankly, I don't want to know who is designing her dress. I'm too interested in this wedding as it is...

I am interested in design, so of course I want to know who the designer is. The dress for Sarah Buys really helps me understand Burton in a different way (thank you melissaadrian, for posting that (although I do think Sarah's foundation garments could have been a bit different; not fond of how her derriere looks in that particular dress - but the dress itself is wonderful).

Umm please tell me Kanye West isn't actually invited? I always took that to just be rumour/a joke. Sorry if anyone here is a fan but I really can't stand him, he just seems so egotistical & self-promoting, he has quite often made big events about himself. :ermm:

I can't imagine them inviting him to their wedding as he might try to steal the spotlight away from them by doing or saying something outrageous. If they did invite him, I hope for their sake, this doesn't happen.

Umm please tell me Kanye West isn't actually invited? I always took that to just be rumour/a joke. Sorry if anyone here is a fan but I really can't stand him, he just seems so egotistical & self-promoting, he has quite often made big events about himself. :ermm:
well, as long as he doesn't grab the microphone during the ceremony and go on about Beyonce's single ladies video being the best video of all time.... then I think he'll be fine :D

It would be a nightmare for the designer if he/she was known before the wedding. It would be hard for them and for the people who work for them because there'd be so much media interest. I'm willing to wait for the wedding to know this.:flowers:

Frankly, I don't want to know who is designing her dress. I'm too interested in this wedding as it is...

But that hasn't been the case in the past- both with Diana & Sarah's dresses we knew the designers.

Exactly!!! Diana's designer was stalked, it became dangerous. People became fanatics about tyring to get a look at the gown.

I am interested in design, so of course I want to know who the designer is. The dress for Sarah Buys really helps me understand Burton in a different way (thank you melissaadrian, for posting that (although I do think Sarah's foundation garments could have been a bit different; not fond of how her derriere looks in that particular dress - but the dress itself is wonderful).

Actually the photo is not Sarah Buy's, but another dress for a British tv celeb of some kind. Yeah the but isn't too good, but the train is beautiful, and would look amazing going down Westminster abbey's aisle.

Once again discussion about the Obamas and the lack of wedding invitation have been deleted.

Jay Godfrey's dress is divine. I think Kate would look stunning in it. If a short shrug or bolero was made to go with it for inside the church during the ceremony, that would take it up to that next level.

Other designs I really liked were Tissh by Gloria Lee and Stema by Stefani Mas. I especially love the fact that Stefani Mas' design looks like vintage Dior. If it lost the poof at the shoulder and some of the volume in the skirt, but kept the overall concept, I think it would be perfect.

I'm sorry but.....huh?

Thanks for the tip about paging, Sister Morphine.

As to the designer: if the name is not released ahead of the wedding, a certain part of the worldwide market share will be lost; people's attention to this entire affair will wane (in America, anyway - and we do still have a few dollars to spend) and the name of the designer will not have been repeated enough times to get it into our American skulls.

At this point in time (6-7 weeks out from the Big Event), the number of names that have been thrown around is too large for anyone to focus (at all) on any one name unless they are actually obsessed with the issue.

So, the designer (whoever he or she may be) might be more "focused" on the task, and will certainly attract a high end clientele afterwards; but overall marketing impact is limited by the secrecy.

I'm curious to see what happens (the business journals will have an analysis) after the wedding. It's an interesting strategy (if it is a strategy - it may be heartfelt or spontaneous; it's hard to say).

I would bet that within 24 hours or less of the wedding dress being seen there will copies for order and for out for sale within a very short time. It is amazing what some of the manufacturers can do just by seeing a dress on television. Of course they will be much lower cost but that would be more suitable world wide anyway. I would doubt that any high end company would dare to try a true knock off.

No offense to Canadian designers, but what are they thinking? This is a Royal wedding. Not a runway show or the Oscars.
Not a far cry from Sarah Burton.....
Sarah Burton is "grand guignol" if she is the one and this is just their Canadian version which they have submitted knowing they will not do the dress.They should not have submitted anything but boycotted this wedding altogether. I hardly understand that Canadian designers cannot differentiate between the Oscars and a runway show.It would appear Kate can no wrong and that no one can do justice to her except Kate herself. Well lets see

Last edited:
They should not have submitted anything but boycotted this wedding altogether.

Oh yes, boycott anything to do with the wedding, even a little harmless fun is just entirely wasted on this lady. I mean, who does she think she is? A prospective princess, a future Queen?

How "dare" she make her own decisions and wear a dress that suits her taste. What a diva!

And to maintain any sense of privacy amongst the media and public interest is just so "selfish".

Whenever will Catherine "learn" that she has no right to withhold information concerning her life from people on internet forums.

Some women!

;):D

Last edited:
So Madame Royale...Just where do I send the bill if my computer screen has any damage to it due to me spewing Chai Tea out at speed at it?

:D ;)

ROTFLOL and nicely done!!

White gowns at McQueen feed Middleton dress rumors

...any evidence that would confirm rumors the label's new creative director, Sarah Burton, has been chosen to design the wedding dress in which Prince William's fiancee Kate Middleton will transform from commoner into royalty...

Full article

According to royalcourt.se Victoria and Daniel will represent Sweden

According to royalcourt.se Victoria and Daniel will represent Sweden

The info from royalcourt.se:

Närvaro vid bröllopet mellan Prins William och Catherine Middleton, London
Deltagare: Kronprinsessan Victoria, Prins Daniel

Attendance at the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton, London
Participants: Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom