Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding tiaras for Kate; Princess Diana nor Sarah donned one of the Queen's tiaras for their weddings. My opinion is that HM will have one made for Kate as she did for the Duchess of York.

More recently, however, HM had a tiara made from the royal collection for Sophie. I can't see HM buying a tiara right now. Buying expensive jewels and tiaras would be seen as too extravagant and against the stated intention of this wedding to reflect as much as possible "austere times."

IMO, Miss Middleton should not wear a tiara at all - she is not royal or even aristocratic. If she lonas one it should be the Spencer tiara.
And I dont think she needs an acceptance symbol from the Queen as she has already granted her permission.

She will be made Royal on her wedding day. And not just any Royal. but a future Queen. She most certainly does have the right to wear a tiara.

The Spencer Tiara belongs to the current Earl Spencer. Diana as the daughter of the former Earl Spencer had the right to wear it just as her sisters wore it for their weddings. The only other women that may wear it are the current Earl Spencer's daughters and/or any woman marrying the Earl or his heir.

The Spencer Tiara belongs to the current Earl Spencer. Diana as the daughter of the former Earl Spencer had the right to wear it just as her sisters wore it for their weddings. The only other women that may wear it are the current Earl Spencer's daughters and/or any woman marrying the Earl or his heir.

Going by the track record of Charlie Spencer, it may well be a few more of his brides who get the opportunity to wear the Spencer tiara.

Much as we would like the evening on 29 April to be a tiara event, I highly doubt that would be the case. Any thoughts?

The private dinner Charles is hosting that evening is just that -- private. Whether it's a tiara event or not (highly unlikely), we won't see any photos of it.

The private dinner Charles is hosting that evening is just that -- private. Whether it's a tiara event or not (highly unlikely), we won't see any photos of it.

You are right, we are unlikely to see any photos unless some are released, but we may see photos of people arriving and leaving.

Interesting.... but the wedding is also a symbolic gesture of granting sovereignty and therefore, a tiara is most expected regardless of her common status, which at the point they say "I will" defines the transition point.

Yes, it is almost sad to think it gets passed around. I'd want my own, really.

No, when wearing a hat or even a tiara, one must design the rest of the wardrobe around IT. Definitely.

I doubt the private evening event will be tiara - very unlikely. But I would expect the royal church guests to wear tiara, like in Sweden, Denmark etc - do we already have dresscode information at all?

I doubt the private evening event will be tiara - very unlikely. But I would expect the royal church guests to wear tiara, like in Sweden, Denmark etc - do we already have dresscode information at all?

It's a morning service, so no tiaras - hats will be worn.

No, when wearing a hat or even a tiara, one must design the rest of the wardrobe around IT. Definitely.

You don't wear a yellow hat with an orange suit. ;)

No tiaras, only hats. We could see a tiara at the private evening dinner, as gowns might be worn. :)

The Obamas invitation or lack thereof

I read sometime back that the American President and First Lady have some of the most intense security requirements of any head of state in the world and having them at the wedding would cost the British government a great deal in additional security -- and take up a number of valuable seats in the Abbey. Also and (my own thought) they would likely distract attention on a day that belongs to The Prince and Miss Middleton.

The attention issue, it's their wedding, people will be their to see them. The guests are just extras in the whole game. William and Catherine will be the stars of the show. Not inviting the Obamas is probably because they have no reason to be their other than for political relations, IMHO.

I read sometime back that the American President and First Lady have some of the most intense security requirements of any head of state in the world and having them at the wedding would cost the British government a great deal in additional security -- and take up a number of valuable seats in the Abbey. Also and (my own thought) they would likely distract attention on a day that belongs to The Prince and Miss Middleton.

Yep, our President is very heavily guarded, and even if he and the First Lady were invited, I'd guess they'd decline it so not to distract from the big day.

Besides it isn't a state occasion anyway, so no reason to go anyway, unless they were personal friends (which I doubt they are, and even so, they might still not go anyway due to security).

Does the President need anymore security than that of 40 royal families, which will no doubt include numerous heads of states? I don't expect him to go, I don't see any reason for him to go.
But reasons such as overshadowing and security are flawed.

Where is the rule for this? HM wears whatever gown she wants with whatever jewelry she wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne

The president and first lady would have their own security detail. The only way they could detract from the wedding would be if they did the Hustle down the aisle after Kate.

Last edited:

It would only be the American media that would have any real interest. However, the security has nothing to do with not being invited. It's not a state occasion and heads of state are not invited. Period.

The Obamas would have Secret Service details that would travel with them to England, but according to the article I was reading a few days ago, England's taxpayers would have to foot the bill for additional security just because of their presence, which is wholly unnecessary. Why make the taxpayers pay for more than they need to?

I'm so tired of hearing about the Obama's and Sarah Ferguson apparent snubs. As far as Sarah goes, by her own camp she never expected an invitation, and has her own engagements to attend to on the day of the wedding. She has said previously she hasn't had a relationship with William or Harry in years. It's not a snub, it's media over reacting.

William and Kate have never met the Obama's, there is no personal relationship, and as it's been stated a million times, this is not a state affair. The majority of their guest list is being made up by friends and family. Protocol seems to loosely dictate more as William is one day slated to become King, other have been invited. But since it is VERY unlikely that William or Kate will have much to do with the Obama's, I see no point in inviting them. Again, I see this as nothing more than the media making a mountain out of a molehill.

Kate is supposed to have worked in a pub at one time. I wonder whether Mr. Haley is her former boss?:)

Zonk;1208490John Haley said:
invitation[/COLOR] at the weekend.]

I'm so tired of hearing about the Obama's and Sarah Ferguson apparent snubs. As far as Sarah goes, by her own camp she never expected an invitation, and has her own engagements to attend to on the day of the wedding. She has said previously she hasn't had a relationship with William or Harry in years. It's not a snub, it's media over reacting.

William and Kate have never met the Obama's, there is no personal relationship, and as it's been stated a million times, this is not a state affair. The majority of their guest list is being made up by friends and family. Protocol seems to loosely dictate more as William is one day slated to become King, other have been invited. But since it is VERY unlikely that William or Kate will have much to do with the Obama's, I see no point in inviting them. Again, I see this as nothing more than the media making a mountain out of a molehill.

Agreed! Likewise the media reporting it as if it's some personal snub by William and/or Kate is feintly ridiculous to me, with almost 2000 people attending I suspect William and/or Kate had little personally to do with deciding each & every guest & who to invite or not invite. Some specific people, sure, they probably wanted & asked if they could attend but I suspect a majority of guests William and Kate had little real choice/preference over. Not that I know for sure of course but I highly doubt William & Kate sat down somewhere & said something along the lines "no way that US President's coming to my wedding, let's snub them!". :p

Yep, our President is very heavily guarded, and even if he and the First Lady were invited, I'd guess they'd decline it so not to distract from the big day.

I not sure about the President but The First Lady has told all of us if she was on the guest list she would be there...but wasn't invited..

Michelle Obama: "I Wasn't Invited" to Royal Wedding - Celebrity News - UsMagazine.com

Im sure if they where invited..the Queen would have proper seucrity for even the US President and Frist Lady:whistling: It is not like they would be the first to attend such an event....and Im sure HM could handle it ...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
At the end of the day, the Obamas weren't invited, and I don't see it as a particularly big deal. Would I have thought it nice to see Mrs. Obama there? Sure. (I don't think the President would've attended even if invited). But, as Michelle herself said, it's their day and it's up to them who they want to invite. So, to me (and likely to them), no big deal. I'm just looking forward to seeing William and Kate on their big day.

At the end of the day, the Obamas weren't invited, and I don't see it as a particularly big deal. Would I have thought it nice to see Mrs. Obama there? Sure. (I don't think the President would've attended even if invited). But, as Michelle herself said, it's their day and it's up to them who they want to invite. So, to me (and likely to them), no big deal. I'm just looking forward to seeing William and Kate on their big day.

I agree :flowers:

I just read that they are serving mini pizzas at the reception? And Kate picked out the toppings? Anyone know if this has been reported-

Really hoping they are not the type of mini pizzas I am picturing :( If they are- IMO that's sort of tacky for a Royal wedding (sorry)

MRSJ said:
I just read that they are serving mini pizzas at the reception? And Kate picked out the toppings? Anyone know if this has been reported-

Really hoping they are not the type of mini pizzas I am picturing :( If they are- IMO that's sort of tacky for a Royal wedding (sorry)

Mini pizzas?. I would have thought canapés would be served. I recall they've been served at previous royal wedding receptions.

I guess it all depends on how it's done as well. If it's less pepperoni and mozzarella and more spinach and feta mini pizzas might be fine :shrugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom