Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. There is not much of real substance in the article and if she is wrong, she can always clam that William changed his mind.

As for the dress: Catherine has reportedly been to many weddings of friends during the last years. So I guess she had time and opportunity enough to ponder her own choices and observe wedding dresses in the making. I wonder why we don't get to see pics of the wedding dresses Catherine in reality saw during the last months - maybe there is the clue to her own dress?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see some of the dresses W&K friends have worn.
When I was in the UK last I saw 3 weddings and all the dresses were rather plain. that was 6 years ago. so I hope the trend for more ornate gowns has spread across the pond.

I thought Diana left from BP to go to St. Paul's. Am I wrong in this?

There's no valid why Michelle Obama shouldn't attend the W & K wedding if she is invited.

Because she isn't close to the BRF, stories about a "friendship" between her and the Queen or most likely done to increase the supposed "special friendship" we have with the US.

If this is true, I find it quite upsetting that they are letting the Abbey struggle to pay for the wedding.

I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see some of the dresses W&K friends have worn.
When I was in the UK last I saw 3 weddings and all the dresses were rather plain. that was 6 years ago. so I hope the trend for more ornate gowns has spread across the pond.

Yes you are wrong. But Diana and Sarah travelled from Clarence House to St Pauls/Westminster Abbey. And Charles and Andrew both left from Buckingham Palace. but the difference is that their home was Bucking Palace and for William it's Clarence House.

If this is true, I find it quite upsetting that they are letting the Abbey struggle to pay for the wedding.

But how was this done at earlier Events? Think the Abbey was also closed to prepare for the funeral of the Queen Mother, the Wedding of Andre and Sarah etc. And i have read that for hte Coronation in 1953 it was closed for a half year because they had to errect all the Galleries etc.

"The wedding
It was the day the entire nation had been waiting for. On July 29, 1981, Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer were married in St Paul's Cathedral in an iconic wedding watched across the world. By now 20, the beautiful bride travelled from Clarence House in a glass coach with her father Earl Spencer in time for the 11.20am ceremony, which was conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury. "
Iconic weddings: Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer - hellomagazine.com

Just had an interesting thought re dress designer. I wonder if Catherine is working with HM "In House" design team for something really special, perhaps with antique fabric that HM has available. This would really be something special and would be well in line with the current financial austerity in the UK.

Just had an interesting thought re dress designer. I wonder if Catherine is working with HM "In House" design team for something really special, perhaps with antique fabric that HM has available. This would really be something special and would be well in line with the current financial austerity in the UK.

That's a very good idea. :flowers:

But how was this done at earlier Events? Think the Abbey was also closed to prepare for the funeral of the Queen Mother, the Wedding of Andre and Sarah etc. And i have read that for hte Coronation in 1953 it was closed for a half year because they had to errect all the Galleries etc.

The Daily Mail is stating catagorically that the Abbey is struggling / will struggle to cope with teh cost of the Wedding and reeading through the article the ABbey spokesman states that it is not true. As such the article is a load of rubbish. The Abbey need only charge William and Kate however much they normally charge for a wedding. They can actually make more money from this if they charge TV stations use of the interior in order to film the wedding. The choir will sing free of charge. The clergymen and abbey staff will be basically carrying out thir normal duties - afterall it's what they are there for. After the wedding, the Abbey will be utterly inundated with extra visitors being charged a fortune and so I can't see the problem.

I am not sure why the Abbey will need to be closed for a week just to put a carpet down along the aisle (which could be done the night before) and florists usually start their decorations the day before too. Security can sweep the Abbey each evening and seal off the Abbey from the public the day before.

Bearing in mind how rich the Church is, they should get on with it all free of charge!

For the coronation, seating galleries were erected along with a large platform covering the trancept area - now that would indeed warrant the Abbey being closed for a good few months.

Preparing the Abbey for the service will take a lot more than simply putting down a carpet. There is all the work to be done for the TV coverage and security.

Lost revenue will be an issue. I really don't think they could get too many more visitors than they get now. Every time I have been (at least 5 in the last 10 years) I have had to queue to get in and have found myself jostled to get around the place.

The choir will probably get paid - certainly here choirs are paid to sing at any service other than a normal scheduled one as are the clergy.

They had to close the Abbey for about a week to prepare for the Queen Mum's funeral. I don't remember them saying that more people would visit the Abbey as a result of that funeral or of Diana's funeral. This is one of the 'must sees' for a visitor to London anyway as it has so much history in this one building - more so than St Paul's actually.

Lost revenue will be an issue. I really don't think they could get too many more visitors than they get now.
I was there when Andrew and Sarah married in 1986. The Day after the wedding, people were lined around the block to get inside to see the Abbey with all the flower arrangements from the wedding. The wait time was several hours. I think they will recoup any money lost by being closed for a week.:)

Another thougt. Probably there will be Services on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday who the probably don't want to cancel. So i think the can not close the Abbey before Monday afternoon so they can held a Service in the Morning of Easter Monday. In Sweeden it was the same the Storkyrkan had a Service the Sunday before the Wedding and was then closed from Monday to prepare for the Wedding.

You are quite right. And also the Abbey will be virtually swamped by visitors before and after the wedding. I am sure that the positive publicity of the wedding will increase the number of visiting tourists. So the losses from one week's closing will be easily made up by an increase of visitors over the year.

One thing about that Abbey article, however much money they lose from having to shut early in preparation for the wedding they can easily make double that after the wedding. Just imagine how many more tourists etc will want to go to see the Abbey in the immediate aftermath of the wedding? And if they really want to make more money they could up the charge for visitors, then add in any & all merchandise/mementos they may make to commemorate the fact that wedding was there & voila! Plenty of money to make up for having to shut the Abbey for a bit before the wedding.

Agreed, whether it's called a state occasion or not, it shall be, just as Diana's funeral was. I am confident HM will invite the first lady as a personal friend. HM isn't into faking hugs with the wives of world leaders for publicity purposes, it isn't her style and she has never before done it.

Glad to read the Abbey representative say that there were really no issues about lost revenue. The Abbey is closed from time to time for restorations and rennovations anyway. Yes, such a wedding will increase the number of tourists wishing to visit the place.

Entertaining article, thanks Soapstar. No doubt Kate shall surprise us on The Day. I know a lot of people will expect her to wear her hair up and yet I don't think she will because it simply isn't her way. She apparently feels it's more becoming down than up. Then again, she may wear it partially up with most of it down. ;)

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this since it's a clip from the interview they did when they announced their engagement but I hadn't seen it before today nor seen it mentioned on here before so thought I'd post it. But it's basically Channel 4 news reporting on the engagement, showing a bit of the interview but the bit I hadn't seen is in the first video on this page:

Prince William to marry Kate Middleton - Channel4 News

At about 4:40mins in they show the ending of the interview & before the cameras have actually stopped recording you see Kate sort of show how nervous she was & William jokingly tells her to breeeeeeathe. It's cute & I hadn't seen it before. :)

Sorry if it's been posted/talked about before.

Thanks for posting I've not seen that last bit of the interveiw before, I think it's very sweet! :wub:

Awsome ;) I love how caring he is...Thank you so much for that video tidbit, I had never seen it before either ;) She really was nervous but you can see she is really trying to get used to it. Personally I think she was a bit hard on herself, because she did great with that interview... but seeing as she is new to it all, I can see where she would be nervous.

Awsome ;) I love how caring he is...Thank you so much for that video tidbit, I had never seen it before either ;) She really was nervous but you can see she is really trying to get used to it. Personally I think she was a bit hard on herself, because she did great with that interview... but seeing as she is new to it all, I can see where she would be nervous.

I find it wonderful that quite a few little things are being shown to show the love and affection these two have for each other. It makes me realize how guarded they must have had to be all these years leading up to the engagement and that it was no easy feat. These two are going to be with each other every step of the way as a team.

Blue_Stocking said:
Thanks for posting I've not seen that last bit of the interveiw before, I think it's very sweet! :wub:

It's not coming up for me :(

It's not coming up for me :(

Do you mean that you can't see the video? When it is as should be, you should see a screencap of the video with the possibility to play it.

Ya I just saw the thread now oops sorry bout that but I just find it idk not like William to say those sorts of things. The other parts of the excerpts I read off msn are believable but this seems off some way or another.

I like this the best with a long train, an even longer lace veil, and either the Girls of G. Britain/Ireland, the Scroll tiara, the Teck necklace/tiara or the Starthmore.
Karl, Lacroix, and More Sketch Their Dream Wedding Dresses for Kate Middleton – Fashionista: Fashion Industry News, Designers, Runway Shows, Style Advice
If it were me I'd go for Alexander McQueen (RIP) Vivienne Westwood, John Galiano or Stella McCartney. Notice how almost every designer drew a ball gown.

Found another one I like:
Designers sketch their dress suggestions for Kate Middleton - Fashion + Beauty on Shine

J.Crew dress is very sophisticated! I love it!

Ya I just saw the thread now oops sorry bout that but I just find it idk not like William to say those sorts of things. The other parts of the excerpts I read off msn are believable but this seems off some way or another.

Any person is capable of yelling at someone else for a range of reasons. I do see William saying these things but...who was there to report what was said - a member of staff, a 'friend' or was it one of them - William or Kate??? Until we know he reported to the author what was said it is in the category of not reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom