Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by that? A woman of 28 is not supposed to like "lots of lace and sparklies"?

I do agree with your first alinea.

Although I don't think it would ever happen but couldn't you just picture Kate in the regalia Audrey Hepburn wore for the ball scenes in My Fair Lady?
She's definitely got the height to pull it off. That is bling with class if you ask me. :D

I don't see Kate wearing a wide, full ball skirt either. Maybe a fuller A-line skirt? 4 months to go before we know.. its gonna drive me buggy for sure!

Anyone seen this, a few famous designers sketch what they'd design for the wedding dress (basically confirming that none of these people will actually be designing the dress since I doubt if they've been hired for it that they'd be allowed to do this sort of thing for a magazine or whatever ;) )

But anyway, quite nice to look at & see all the various ideas that some people in fashion world have.

Karl, Lacroix, and More Sketch Their Dream Wedding Dresses for Kate Middleton – Fashionista: Fashion Industry News, Designers, Runway Shows, Style Advice

Last edited:
Although I don't think it would ever happen but couldn't you just picture Kate in the regalia Audrey Hepburn wore for the ball scenes in My Fair Lady?
She's definitely got the height to pull it off. That is bling with class if you ask me. :D

I don't see Kate wearing a wide, full ball skirt either. Maybe a fuller A-line skirt? 4 months to go before we know.. its gonna drive me buggy for sure!

Ahhhhh. Audrey hepburn in My Fair Lady. While I love the dress she wears, I can't quite picture that in Westminster Abbey. an A-line skirt would be a good guess though.
Or maybe something along the lines of Princess Grace's wedding dress with lace sleeves and a fitted bodice.

Mette merit's wasn't bad. I didn't like it much at first, but I watched a video of her wedding yesterday and she really did look nice. It must have been the chiffon giving it that light flowing feel. Not many people could carry off that look.

I wish instead something revolutionary,a little break from classical traditions,something in Vivienne Westwood gorgeous gothic style,maybe more classical features

That would actually be great.

I love Vivienne Westwood myself, but I can see where some might consider her designs too extreme.

Everyone is saying Bruce Oldfield has the commission sewed up; it will be so embarrassing for him if someone else is chosen! :ohmy:

Anyone seen this, a few famous designers sketch what they'd design for the wedding dress (basically confirming that none of these people will actually be designing the dress since I doubt if they've been hired for it that they'd be allowed to do this sort of thing for a magazine or whatever ;) )

But anyway, quite nice to look at & see all the various ideas that some people in fashion world have.

Karl, Lacroix, and More Sketch Their Dream Wedding Dresses for Kate Middleton – Fashionista: Fashion Industry News, Designers, Runway Shows, Style Advice
I actually like the Valentino one............ but i am still hopeing for phillipa Lepley

Interesting. The Vera Wang reminds me of Princess Grace.

I like the Lyn Devon. It is different but manages to cover the shoulders. Not formal enough, I don't think, but I like the departure from the norm.

Karl Lagerfeld looks like he was trying to capture the jaw-dropping ruffle-ness of Diana's dress, only more so!

I'm surprised I like the Valentino as much as I do. It might be because I like the drawing style the best! I think the ruffles on this dress work because they are transparent.

Can't wait to see what the real dress looks like!

Yes, the Valentino diaphanous creation, somehow, tugged at my heart. Really pretty, but not for Catherine. The last one, #13, can't remember who it is, would be my bet -- but with a covered back.

your right. she should get married in a plain dress like Queen Silvia or Princess Maxima. :nonono::sick:
If there were a puking emoticon, I would have used it. :D

Yes, because not only is not getting married in a dress Liberace wouldn't be caught dead in a clearly contemptible thing, it's worthy of an emoticon demonstrating involuntary stomach spasms.

Yes, because not only is not getting married in a dress Liberace wouldn't be caught dead in a clearly contemptible thing, it's worthy of an emoticon demonstrating involuntary stomach spasms.

You mean there is no cat-with-hairball emoticon??? LOL

What do you mean by that? A woman of 28 is not supposed to like "lots of lace and sparklies"?

The description "lots of lace and sparklies" makes it sound not like a wedding dress, but more like a costume. Costumes are for Halloween, not a wedding. There's a difference between say, Brussels lace and some jewels sown in strategic places and something that Bob Mackie might design. Bob Mackie is not the go-to guy for a royal wedding dress.

I get the idea that no one around here will be happy unless Catherine's dress makes her look like an upside marzipan cupcake covered in sprinkles.

I must say, I'm by no means fan of J-Crew but that is a stunning dress (and I hate sleeves)

Alberta Ferreti, J. Mendel, Gucci, J-Crew, Rebecca Taylor and Monique Lhuillier have the most potential looking at Kate's style.

The description "lots of lace and sparklies" makes it sound not like a wedding dress, but more like a costume. Costumes are for Halloween, not a wedding. There's a difference between say, Brussels lace and some jewels sown in strategic places and something that Bob Mackie might design. Bob Mackie is not the go-to guy for a royal wedding dress.

I get the idea that no one around here will be happy unless Catherine's dress makes her look like an upside marzipan cupcake covered in sprinkles.
Where have you been? :whistling: If anything is in fashion for the past few years when it comes to wedding dresses, it's lace and sparkles.

I wish instead something revolutionary,a little break from classical traditions,something in Vivienne Westwood gorgeous gothic style,maybe more classical features

Vivienne Westwood makes some gorgeous couture clothes, but none of them would be proper for a royal wedding. Her particular aesthetic is a tad too avant-guard for the BRF, although I would love to see Catherine in a Westwood creation at some other function.

Where have you been? :whistling: If anything is in fashion for the past few years when it comes to wedding dresses, it's lace and sparkles.

I don't pay attention what's "in" and what's "out". I dress for function and what I can afford and what flatters me and makes me look my best, not for labels and what is all the rage. All of the weddings I've been to in the last 3 or 4 years, all the brides wore very modern, sleek, classical-lined dresses. Not one of them dressed like Cinderella Barbie going to the ball.

If I had the chance to design a dress for Catherine to wear for her wedding, it would look similar to CP Mary's dress with slightly shorter sleeves, a longer train (the Abbey has a longer walk up to the altar than the church Mary was married in) and in a brighter white color since she's a bit more tan than Mary was. I would raise the neckline at the shoulders slightly, but keep the overall neckline as a boatneck (I think it flatters all bust sizes) and I would bring the back down a little. Put her hair half up, half down, curl the ends slightly to give movement, pin the veil directly to her hair and hand her a bouquet.

Sister Morphine said:
If I had the chance to design a dress for Catherine to wear for her wedding, it would look similar to CP Mary's dress with slightly shorter sleeves, a longer train (the Abbey has a longer walk up to the altar than the church Mary was married in) and in a brighter white color since she's a bit more tan than Mary was. I would raise the neckline at the shoulders slightly, but keep the overall neckline as a boatneck (I think it flatters all bust sizes) and I would bring the back down a little. Put her hair half up, half down, curl the ends slightly to give movement, pin the veil directly to her hair and hand her a bouquet.

Sounds beautiful.

I like the sound of that. I'm definitely hoping she'll go for something classic and not too over-the-top - which, based on her style so far, I think she will.

Though I think I'd like to see her hair all up . . . but I somehow think it'll be at least part down, as she doesn't seem to like to wear her hair up very often, and when she does, it's loose.

Something about the Valentino, lovely - perhaps a bit young for Catherine, but my favorite. The yellow one done by the writer's 'friend' Benz was it? Puleese, I'd use the spitting furball emoticon for that one. And the Vera Wang - surprisingly unflattering and boring from a designer of her caliber.

My personal preference is the J. Crew. The very simple style could be made special by the choice of fabric or subtle beadwork or sparkles. I don't mind sparkles at all as long as they are subtle. I also find myself drawn to the Valentino though. The drawing is beautiful and the design is fresh and modern yet also beautiful. Though it has ruffles they are large and sheer. The drawing antipates she would have her hair down, and the overall look is quite lovely and would suit her, I think.

I like this the best with a long train, an even longer lace veil, and either the Girls of G. Britain/Ireland, the Scroll tiara, the Teck necklace/tiara or the Starthmore.
If it were me I'd go for Alexander McQueen (RIP) Vivienne Westwood, John Galiano or Stella McCartney. Notice how almost every designer drew a ball gown.

Found another one I like:
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beau...ons-for-kate-middleton-2429393/#photoViewer=8

Last edited:

I actually like CP Mary's dress, although the forum I was on lastnight totally panned it. As far as royal brides go, she took some chances and had a unique dress. I liked the skirt, even though people have referred to it as drapes. It would have been better with more lace showing thru. the sleeves are ok. and the neckline flattering. I disagree though about the higher neckline, or boat neck, on Kate, or about it being flattering on all bust sizes. Kate is not bosomy by any means and would probably look somewhat flat with a higher neckline. I think she must know this and that is why she wears so many V necks. Like her engagement dress.
My only real gripe with CP Mary's dress is the train. Good length, but it looks totally plain (at least in the pics I have seen). since most brides spend the vast majority of the ceremony with their backs to the audience, something to look at is a good idea. Thats why, I think Sarah ferguson's dress was so popular. IMO

I didn't say the neckline should be higher, just raised at the shoulders. Look at the photo below:

The Epoch Times

You can see how the dress is off the shoulder, but supported by some kind of corsetry or boning of some kind to keep the whole thing from slipping off. It doesn't look as pronounced in that picture, but if you look at this one --> Madhattery you can see what I'm talking about more clearly. By lowering the back and raising the neckline only at the shoulders, you create a more fitted look around the arms and shoulders, while still retaining that neckline around the rest of the bodice.

The only thing I didn't like about Mary's dress was the back.

Yes, I would like that.

If so many Royal brides are choosing plain, unadorned styles, why not be different?
Personally I like the Valentino and the Karl Lagerfeld dresses, either would look striking in a setting like the Abbey.
(Though I expect the Valentino would have to be adapted so that the shoulders are covered somewhat).

I love that Valentino sketch. There's something very fashion-forward about it yet still altogether lovely.

Karl's design looks very "Lagerfeld" and not at all "Kate". I quite like the baroque extravagance of it, but it is not at all Kate's style. The Valentino design is very beautiful, but it sill has much more ruffles and fru-fru than Kate usually favours.

I see what you mean, but I think lace and sparkles can look gorgeous when appliqued on the right places and in the right amounts. It doesn't have to be that much. I didn't mean for my description to sound like a Halloween costume :lol:

Bob Mackie will certainly be over the top for a royal wedding dress, his designs are just too much for such an occasion.

And no, I don't expect an upside marzipan cupcake (wouldn't suit her anyway) but I do expect something grand since she is marrying an important person in an important venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom