Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I say she was? She's still Charles' wife, and William's step-mother, which still makes her one of Catherine's in-laws.
Yes. You said that she 'must meet his parents Camilla and Charles'. Camilla is NOT William and Harry's mother, regardless of wishfull thinking.

Meeting your future son-in-law's grandmother, even if she is the Queen, isn't that important right away. It's more important to meet his parents, which would be Charles and Camilla. Catherine's family will have ample opportunity to meet everyone else in William's family, such as his grandparents, aunt and uncles, cousins, etc,. at the wedding proper and then the reception/wedding breakfast/thingamajig where they eat food and cut some cake.
Here is your quote re: Camilla and Charles being William's 'parents'.

Lady Felicity M said:
I wonder if it will be morning jackets suits or uniforms dress for the wedding

I wonder if it will be hats for the ladies, or will they be busting out the tiaras?

Its a morning wedding so I believe hats. The BRF tends to do the hat thing it was like that for Charles/Diana, Andrew/Sarah and Edward/Sophie's weddings.

Its a morning wedding so I believe hats. The BRF tends to do the hat thing it was like that for Charles/Diana, Andrew/Sarah and Edward/Sophie's weddings.
Wasn't Sophie and Edward's wedding a bit later in the afternoon which is why some wore longer dresses though the tiara was still omitted.?

Yes. You said that she 'must meet his parents Camilla and Charles'. Camilla is NOT William and Harry's mother, regardless of wishfull thinking.

What wishful thinking? What in the name of cobswarkin' heck are you talking about? Have I or anyone else here ever said they wished Camilla was William and Harry's biological mother instead of Diana? I've been here going on 6 years now, and haven't seen anything to that affect from anyone, at any time.

Newsflash: Your stepmother (or stepfather) is still your parent, even if they aren't biologically related to you. Otherwise, they wouldn't be called "step-parents."

Wasn't Sophie and Edward's wedding a bit later in the afternoon which is why some wore longer dresses though the tiara was still omitted.?

You are so correct!

I was thinking about the Queen's fascinator that she wore. Now that you mention it...they didn't want hats but the Queen and the Queen Mother (????) couldn't got hatless right?:lol:

Canada will host first visit by Prince William and Kate Middleton | The Sun |News

dont know where to post this link. The canadian government invite officially the coupe to tour canada and this article is written by duncan larcombe so I suppose this is pretty right

*dies then quickly picks self up and starts jumping and screaming all around the house*
omg I so hope this is true I will die of happiness if Wills and Kate come to B.C.!:clap:I've already warned my parents. My mom groaned cause last time with Camilla we froze to death from the cold and got soaked from the rain luckily it'll be in the summer but this time we could boil to death!

Last edited:
You are so correct!

I was thinking about the Queen's fascinator that she wore. Now that you mention it...they didn't want hats but the Queen and the Queen Mother (????) couldn't got hatless right?:lol:

Actually the Queen wore no hat but a feather in her hair as did Pricness Anne. She also wore a long gown. The Queen Mother however wore a shorter gown and a hat.

That's good for Canada, which is such a beautiful country, but I do think that Canada seems to be the primary focus for royal visits because of it's relatively "close" proximity. In my opinion, I don't find that an acceptable reason myself.

The Queen is speculated to be visiting Perth this year for CHOGM, but that's not so much a visit to Australia as Queen of Australia as much as it is a visit as Head of the Commonwealth. It annoys me, I'll gladly confess.

Canada is, afterall, not the only country within the Commonwealth which deserves to be visited regularly by either the monarch, or representation.

The problem is the royals seem eager to show their "concern" during times of crises, a sort of temporary enthusiasm to present a good image, but when recovery is well underway and a sense of 'normality' returns, Australia again seems to fall off the radar unless a presence is necessary.

It doesn't aid the cause of the institution I'm affraid.

Bit of a rant there...haha. Sorry folks ;)

Last edited:
Madame Royale, pehaps we are viewed as a lost cause. We're a lot further away than Canada and I think it's probably perceived by the RF that we're just biding our time till HM's reign is over then we'll become a republic, so William will never be our king, so why bother making the effort? *hunts for Eureka flag among the smilies, but doesn't find one*

Now I'm going to sound like the whiny Canadian but here goes and don't bite me but William was just over there in Australia last year, both the Queen and Prince Charles sent messages of condolences this year and William and Harry both sent messages at that concert(sound relief). IMO Canada is a huge region Diana and Charles made 2 trips to Canada and did not visit the same place's twice while married also despite the fact the Queen did come to parts of Canada last year and 2005(was it?) there are still some regions such as B.C. which have not seen her in years. Plu I'm sure William and Kate will eventually visit. William seems to have genuinely liked Australia so I'm certain he'll bring his new bride to visit and don't forget Diana visited many times during her years. Ok I'm done just had to put my two cents in.

Also considering I've just read they wanted to come to Australia but The Queen's plans for her October visit has sidetracked that prettty much tells you that William will be back and not just because of an unfortunate event but because he wants to and enjoys the people and the country.

ETA: not trying to sound rude, hope it didn`t come off that way. Just trying to show you that some places haven`t seen the Queen in quite a while as well.

Last edited:
Now I'm going to sound like the whiny Canadian but here goes and don't bite me but William was just over there in Australia last year...

With all due respect, for a whole 48 hours. Not quite comparable to a two week stint ;)

I've visited Canada, beautiful place, nice people and it's not Canada I have an issue with.

Madame Royale, pehaps we are viewed as a lost cause.

You are probably right, Roslyn.

We're a lot further away than Canada and I think it's probably perceived by the RF that we're just biding our time till HM's reign is over then we'll become a republic

Wish I could apply the same mentality, if that is what is felt, to my working life. Selective interest would at times make my job alot easier as well..haha.

Not meaning to compare as such, but I wasn't always going to have the previous job I had, but that didn't mean that I didn't show a consistent interest in what it was I had, and should, be doing. Initiative, even when occasionally dismissed, should not be supressed if it's something worth committing too in the meantime.

Last edited:
Was it only 48 hours....It really felt longer haha ooh well my bad! I know you don`t have an issue with Canada just trying to make you feel better though reading back what I wrote I sound kinda rude which is not the way I wanted to come across. Maybe they`re doing a 2 week trip to cover all areas I dunno but I do hope now that Willaim is getting older and getting married and soon finishing up his RAF duties maybe he`ll take an active interest and visit the commonwealth countries more often....idk just trying to make it better :D

The royals certainly do visit Canada way more often than they come down under. It is closer to them and easier to reach. Sure William will come down here at some time with Kate - whether before or after his grandmother passes and before or after we become a republic - but they will come.

There have been 223 visits to Canada since the British took over the place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_royal_tours_of_Canada_(21st_century)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_royal_tours_of_Canada_(18th-20th_centuries)

In comparison there have been 'over 50' to Australia but no where near 200. Royal visits to Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a 4 visits to Canada for every 1 to Australia and that has been the case throughout the history of both countries since the 18th Century.

Can I ask something dumb in terms of hours flying how far is Canada for them compared to Australia. I actually think William and Kate will do the regular rounds of the commonwealth after their married. An article I read a day ago said they were planning to come possibly next year. Anyways if anything perhaps this pattern will change perhaps Australia will begin to be visited more often now that the next generation are old enough to visit. Hey, I`m just trying to look on the bright side of things. Also it`s not always the visit that counts IMO they`ve sent out lots of statements in times of need, which is always a good thing to see from your monarchy. Obviously it`s not the same but still...I don`t think they`re trying to avoid the country or neglect it or anything like that but sometimes it just doesn`t work into the schedule.

:previous: Roughly 3,500 miles between London and Toronto, and roughly 10,576 miles between London and Sydney.

A major factor is, of course, that they can't simply turn up - they have to be invited by the government/s to visit so the Canadia government sends a lot more invitations presumably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince to make three-day Australia visit

"Prince William's visit to Australia has come about at his own request, to enable him to begin to get to know the country and the Australian people," Lowther-Pinkerton said in a statement released on Tuesday.

Governmental involvement is essential, but I don't think it's the only factor which enables them to visit. Clearly if interest is expressed, and their initiative acknowledged then a visit can evidently be facilitated. As was the case with William.

Last edited:
However, if the government hadn't gone along with his request he couldn't have come. He couldn't unilaterally announce he was making a tour. If any of them wish to make a tour here they get their people to contact the Australian government who then issues an invitation. This is what happened with William - he expressed a desire to come so the powers that be approached the government who issued the invitation. The government could invite someone with them expressing an interest first as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, if the government hadn't gone along with his request he couldn't have come.

That goes without saying.

And yes, the government must extend an invitation, but the point I was making was the initiative on the part of royals first and foremost.

His mother is DEAD!
His father is married to Camilla which makes her his Step Mother.
Your dislike of Camilla does not change that.

Lets get back on topic...the wedding musings and suggestions of William and Catherine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom