The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Majesty

Preparing the Abbey for the service will take a lot more than simply putting down a carpet. There is all the work to be done for the TV coverage and security.

Lost revenue will be an issue. I really don't think they could get too many more visitors than they get now. Every time I have been (at least 5 in the last 10 years) I have had to queue to get in and have found myself jostled to get around the place.

The choir will probably get paid - certainly here choirs are paid to sing at any service other than a normal scheduled one as are the clergy.

They had to close the Abbey for about a week to prepare for the Queen Mum's funeral. I don't remember them saying that more people would visit the Abbey as a result of that funeral or of Diana's funeral. This is one of the 'must sees' for a visitor to London anyway as it has so much history in this one building - more so than St Paul's actually.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
That's a very good idea.
Didn't Diana's dress have lace from Queen Victoria? I know it was antique lace, but I am not sure from where it came.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Lost revenue will be an issue. I really don't think they could get too many more visitors than they get now.
I was there when Andrew and Sarah married in 1986. The Day after the wedding, people were lined around the block to get inside to see the Abbey with all the flower arrangements from the wedding. The wait time was several hours. I think they will recoup any money lost by being closed for a week.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Another thougt. Probably there will be Services on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday who the probably don't want to cancel. So i think the can not close the Abbey before Monday afternoon so they can held a Service in the Morning of Easter Monday. In Sweeden it was the same the Storkyrkan had a Service the Sunday before the Wedding and was then closed from Monday to prepare for the Wedding.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But how was this done at earlier Events? Think the Abbey was also closed to prepare for the funeral of the Queen Mother, the Wedding of Andre and Sarah etc. And i have read that for hte Coronation in 1953 it was closed for a half year because they had to errect all the Galleries etc.
You are quite right. And also the Abbey will be virtually swamped by visitors before and after the wedding. I am sure that the positive publicity of the wedding will increase the number of visiting tourists. So the losses from one week's closing will be easily made up by an increase of visitors over the year.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Aristocracy

One thing about that Abbey article, however much money they lose from having to shut early in preparation for the wedding they can easily make double that after the wedding. Just imagine how many more tourists etc will want to go to see the Abbey in the immediate aftermath of the wedding? And if they really want to make more money they could up the charge for visitors, then add in any & all merchandise/mementos they may make to commemorate the fact that wedding was there & voila! Plenty of money to make up for having to shut the Abbey for a bit before the wedding.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Aristocracy

Agreed, whether it's called a state occasion or not, it shall be, just as Diana's funeral was. I am confident HM will invite the first lady as a personal friend. HM isn't into faking hugs with the wives of world leaders for publicity purposes, it isn't her style and she has never before done it.

Glad to read the Abbey representative say that there were really no issues about lost revenue. The Abbey is closed from time to time for restorations and rennovations anyway. Yes, such a wedding will increase the number of tourists wishing to visit the place.

Entertaining article, thanks Soapstar. No doubt Kate shall surprise us on The Day. I know a lot of people will expect her to wear her hair up and yet I don't think she will because it simply isn't her way. She apparently feels it's more becoming down than up. Then again, she may wear it partially up with most of it down.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this since it's a clip from the interview they did when they announced their engagement but I hadn't seen it before today nor seen it mentioned on here before so thought I'd post it. But it's basically Channel 4 news reporting on the engagement, showing a bit of the interview but the bit I hadn't seen is in the first video on this page:

Prince William to marry Kate Middleton - Channel4 News

At about 4:40mins in they show the ending of the interview & before the cameras have actually stopped recording you see Kate sort of show how nervous she was & William jokingly tells her to breeeeeeathe. It's cute & I hadn't seen it before. :)

Sorry if it's been posted/talked about before.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Gentry

Thanks for posting I've not seen that last bit of the interveiw before, I think it's very sweet!

Please excuse my spelling and gramar, I have dislexiya.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Aristocracy

Awsome I love how caring he is...Thank you so much for that video tidbit, I had never seen it before either She really was nervous but you can see she is really trying to get used to it. Personally I think she was a bit hard on herself, because she did great with that interview... but seeing as she is new to it all, I can see where she would be nervous.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLynn View Post
Awsome I love how caring he is...Thank you so much for that video tidbit, I had never seen it before either She really was nervous but you can see she is really trying to get used to it. Personally I think she was a bit hard on herself, because she did great with that interview... but seeing as she is new to it all, I can see where she would be nervous.
I find it wonderful that quite a few little things are being shown to show the love and affection these two have for each other. It makes me realize how guarded they must have had to be all these years leading up to the engagement and that it was no easy feat. These two are going to be with each other every step of the way as a team.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Serene Highness

That was so cute!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Stocking
Thanks for posting I've not seen that last bit of the interveiw before, I think it's very sweet!
It's not coming up for me :(
Old 12-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
It's not coming up for me :(
Do you mean that you can't see the video? When it is as should be, you should see a screencap of the video with the possibility to play it.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

This probably will get moved but I just wanted to post a small quote that caught my eye
Quote:
Do you know who I am!" William shouted in one conversation to Kate, while denying the affair, according to the author. "No one tells me what to do. I do what I want."
Prince William and Kate Middleton not always a fairytale romance, new book says | Herald Sun

How reliable is this author? I hope he didn't/doesn't shout at Kate like that sheesh
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There is a thread discussing the new books, but I think this is the author.
Christopher Andersen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He has written other royal books.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Ya I just saw the thread now oops sorry bout that but I just find it idk not like William to say those sorts of things. The other parts of the excerpts I read off msn are believable but this seems off some way or another.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSY View Post
I like this the best with a long train, an even longer lace veil, and either the Girls of G. Britain/Ireland, the Scroll tiara, the Teck necklace/tiara or the Starthmore.
Karl, Lacroix, and More Sketch Their Dream Wedding Dresses for Kate Middleton Fashionista: Fashion Industry News, Designers, Runway Shows, Style Advice
If it were me I'd go for Alexander McQueen (RIP) Vivienne Westwood, John Galiano or Stella McCartney. Notice how almost every designer drew a ball gown.

Found another one I like:
Designers sketch their dress suggestions for Kate Middleton - Fashion + Beauty on Shine
J.Crew dress is very sophisticated! I love it!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Ya I just saw the thread now oops sorry bout that but I just find it idk not like William to say those sorts of things. The other parts of the excerpts I read off msn are believable but this seems off some way or another.

Any person is capable of yelling at someone else for a range of reasons. I do see William saying these things but...who was there to report what was said - a member of staff, a 'friend' or was it one of them - William or Kate??? Until we know he reported to the author what was said it is in the category of not reliable.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Courtier

The new range of official commemorative wedding china:

The Royal Collection - Official Royal Wedding china range launched

I like the simplicity of the color combined with the "fancy" design. But then I think I would like whatever they came up with.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding