Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure once William takes on royal duties full-time, we'll see him interacting more often with foreign royals. The same might go for Kate. I'd love to see her chatting with Mary, Mett-Marit, Maxima and Daniel about the challenges of adapting to royal life.

I'm sure once William takes on royal duties full-time, we'll see him interacting more often with foreign royals. The same might go for Kate. I'd love to see her chatting with Mary, Mett-Marit, Maxima and Daniel about the challenges of adapting to royal life.

We hardly ever see his father, or his grandmother, doing this so why would he start doing something that hasn't been done for generations within the BRF?

Isn't pre marriage counseling part of getting married in Church of England? It is if you marry in the US Episcopelian churc.
If you marry in the NZ Anglican church or even The Roman Catholic church, you get the same deal. Both of you just as both Kate and William will be getting pre-marital counselling. It is not just for her as his military service may force them to spend time apart, it's about marriage and what it means to both parties. In this they are no different to thousands of other engaged couples although I see it is already being lauded as special in view of the marriage failures of his parents, uncle and aunt. What rot, this is about William, Kate and their marriage!

Well the two most recent large gatherings of royals would be Victoria & Daniels and Charles' 60th.
They may have met privately, but i'm sure we would have seen some pictures of european royals arriving in the UK. William IMO, doesn't seem to have much time for anyone outside the UK.

Yes most heirs in Europe are around the same age range, however Victoria being the youngest heir at 33 and Phillipe being the eldest besides Charles at 50. There is a 5 year age gap between Victoria and William, and a 17 year age gap between Victoria and Phillipe who are quite good friends.

Victoria, Haakon and Frederik have always been close friends for some times, due to their countries being close. But Frederik is 9 years older than Victoria and Haakon is 4.

Age IMO has nothing to do with it, it is the fact that William hasn't been bothered or has seen no reason to make friends with foreign royals.
Once again you are comparing apples and pears. Charles is the "contemporary" of the above mention "Heirs".

As to the relationship between the Crown Prince of Denmark, Crown Prince Haakon of Norway and Crown Princess of Sweden, they are not just friends. All three of them are protectors of the International Polar Year in their respective countries, and in that capacity, visit Svalbard and the areas around the islands, together on a regular basis.

We hardly ever see his father, or his grandmother, doing this so why would he start doing something that hasn't been done for generations within the BRF?

For all we know HM and/or Charles may chat by telephone or email on a weekly (or even daily) basis with any or all of the European monarch's and/or heirs. Put simply we do not know so we should not assume that it does not happen.

Can I ask a question without starting a huge argument Ok so I re-read the piece about Kate getting counseling and the thing that stood out to me was they said like Diana she and William will spend alot of time apart as full time royals. Now considering at the time his father was not only hier to the throne but Prince of Wales as well do you think they'll be apart as much as Charles and Diana were but tbh I don't even know how much they were apart after the wedding it felt like we always saw them together.
No need to worry about Catherine.

She is either that "lazy Waity Katie" girl she was seen by many over the years: then she is very well used to being alone doing nothing but waiting for William while staying demurely and decorously in the background. All will be fine then for her.:D

And if she is not and really worked hard helping her parents (and that's what I believe), she'll find enough to do once she is safely married. She can work on her photography, she can work for charities, she can further her academic knowledge about history of art with help from all those top-class historians the BRF employ. So she could assist in planning the Royal exhibitions or cataloguing the Royal vaults... There's enough to do. Especially as this time "the firm" is only too happy to assist her in plannng her working hours around being with William...

I recall reading in several books about Diana that she was already bored with Charles on their honeymoon on board Britannia. I can't see Catherine who has spend countless weekends alone with William in more or less rustic huts at Balmoral or Wales or Africa being bored with her new husband in similar tete à tete-situations. Maybe both are readers (Diana complained about Charles who read on their honeymoon) and enjoy talking about the books they read. Or they do whatever when alone together.

That said, I don't see Catherine become bored like Sarah and Diana were when without their spouses. She'll find something to do.

He did another gap year after finishing at uni.

He didn't do a Gap Year after finishing uni, William graduated in June, went to New Zealand with the rugby team, had a holiday and then spent time in various work placements. He did work experience in the finance sector, (news report on him being late on first day as he got stuck in notorious London traffic!), he also did work experience on a large estate, the Chatswood estate and also some Foreign Office work experience. In January he entered Sandhurst.

2. University - 3 years.
William attended a Scottish university and his degree course was 4 years unlike the English universities undergraduate courses. He and Kate do hold MAs rather than BAs from the English unis, although apparently they are comparable.

He didn't do a Gap Year after finishing uni, William graduated in June, went to New Zealand with the rugby team, had a holiday and then spent time in various work placements. He did work experience in the finance sector, (news report on him being late on first day as he got stuck in notorious London traffic!), he also did work experience on a large estate, the Chatswood estate and also some Foreign Office work experience. In January he entered Sandhurst.

A 'gap' year doesn't mean doing nothing but rather doing things that are different to what one intends on doing with their career and thus his time after uni was a gap as he didn't go into paid employment. Even though it wasn't a full year it is called a 'gap year' not a 'gap six months'.

He spent 5.5 years after leaving school before entering the military - 4 at uni and the rest on gaps doing other things of interest to him.

Once again you are comparing apples and pears. Charles is the "contemporary" of the above mention "Heirs".

But you would think that because William is rather closer in age to those heirs than his father. He would IMO make the effort?

The purpose of this thread isnt to talk about the relationship or lack of one that William has with other European royals.

william went to university for just three years?? i thought ti was from 2001-2005.

I really think pearls are the most suitable for any wedding, royal or not. They have a soft glow that looks better than colored stones, imo.

Also, I think they should get away from the trend of child attendants, and have all adults. (I read where one of Diana's child bridesmaids sold her wedding garments to Earl Spencer, and I thought that rather tacky).

william went to university for just three years?? i thought ti was from 2001-2005.

Scottish universities are four years so you are right - he was at uni for four years.

English universities are three years so his cousins, Beatrice and Eugenie will have three years with Beatrice graduating next year.

Which uniform will William wear for the wedding? Since he is affiliated with a few of then services already, can he choose the most dashing? I am not a fan of the Air Force dress uniform which is why I ask.

I like seeing the child attendants. They look so sweet in their little dresses and suits.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Which uniform will William wear for the wedding? Since he is affiliated with a few of then services already, can he choose the most dashing? I am not a fan of the Air Force dress uniform which is why I ask.

As he will be a currently serving officer in the Air Force at the time I would expect the Air Force.

Charles, Andrew and Philip all married in Navy uniforms but both Andrew and Philip were still active serving officers and it was in that service that Charles did most of his service.

I like seeing the child attendants. They look so sweet in their little dresses and suits.:flowers:

Yes, I also think, little children HAVE to be there (as a kind of sweet tradition).
Nevertheless, who could it be? Just the 2 children of the Duke of Wessex may be in an appropriate age. But no other nieces, nephews around.... Or are there some more from Anne´s children? Beatrice/Eugenie and Catherine´s sister may fill the "adult fraction" :lol: then.... to make everybody happy.
BYe Bine

Yes, I also think, little children HAVE to be there (as a kind of sweet tradition).
Nevertheless, who could it be? Just the 2 children of the Duke of Wessex may be in an appropriate age. But no other nieces, nephews around.... Or are there some more from Anne´s children? Beatrice/Eugenie and Catherine´s sister may fill the "adult fraction" :lol: then.... to make everybody happy.
BYe Bine

Albert Windsor, the son of Lord Nicholas, perhaps one or both of the daughters of lady Helen, the children of Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah and as senior bridesmaid perhaps Lady Amelia Windsor. Think Viscount Severn is too young as he will only become 3 this month.

I think it might be ok if Catherine did not wear a tiara-considering what hard times the world is facing globally and that the wedding is toned down.I think these two Wills and Catherine will shine no matter what.

I think it might be ok if Catherine did not wear a tiara-considering what hard times the world is facing globally and that the wedding is toned down.I think these two Wills and Catherine will shine no matter what.

No TIARA at a Royal Wedding! :eek: But, but, but.....that is unacceptable! :angry: Besides, it's technically recycling since the tiara would be an existing one or one modified from the Queen's personal collection. It's a waste to have all those lovely sparkley jewels gathering dust in an underground vault. :sad: She MUST have a tiara!

No TIARA at a Royal Wedding! :eek: But, but, but.....that is unacceptable! :angry: Besides, it's technically recycling since the tiara would be an existing one or one modified from the Queen's personal collection. It's a waste to have all those lovely sparkley jewels gathering dust in an underground vault. :sad: She MUST have a tiara!

You said it and I totally agree with you. If I am expecting a tiara somewhere, it is at a British Royal Wedding.

With the episode that happened to Charles and Camilla I hope that Kate and Wills have plenty of security and are conscious individuals of what is happening in the world.
Looks like Catherine is aware and sensible as she has chosen Bruce Oldfield to design her wedding gown.

According to that article, it's just a rumor that Oldfield has been chosen. Nothing has been confirmed, especially not from the designer himself. I'd think we wouldn't find out anything about the dress until closer to the wedding date.

According to that article, it's just a rumor that Oldfield has been chosen. Nothing has been confirmed, especially not from the designer himself. I'd think we wouldn't find out anything about the dress until closer to the wedding date.

your most likely right .... I just posted the article because it was musing...that he may be doing it ..I did not write the title of the article.:)

Nothing has been announced officially. This looks like just more speculation rather than a confirmation. I really hope she doesn't go with Oldfield since I don't think his design style suits her at all. Personally, I haven't seen anything he has designed that I like.

My hopes are on Philippa Lepley.

The only royal wedding dress by Bruce Oldfield (if I am correct) that I remember is that of Queen Rania of Jordan. And I do not find it a pretty dress but that can also be because of the jacket.
For any other royal examples, if they exist, feel free to point them out to me :D

I have no preferred designer for Catherine's wedding dress, I am not much into that territory. I can only hope that she covers up (aka not strapless).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom