The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Nobility

Hi again, KittyAtlanta: Then you know that until twenty or so years ago, instrumental only processionals were not so common in high church weddings in the U.K. In America, instrumental processional/recessionals seem to me more common, I think due in part to the fact that it's getting hard to find more than a few high caliber church choirs in the U.S. like those that are (even still) fairly common throughout the U.K. And I suppose that, outside of the more traditional Anglican churches, few people in the U.S. have experienced sung processionals. Sorry I assumed you did not know the I Was Glad, since with your background, I'm sure you do. I just adore that whole "grand sung processional thing." I'm also looking forward to the new John Rutter piece. Look forward to exchanging thoughts and reactions with you!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I agree. The trees look amazing. I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

I'm glad that William got a chance to go out and greet some of the crowd.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Royal Wedding: 1000s camp outside Westminster Abbey in time for event of the year | Mail Online

Anyone still hoping they can get close to the action outside Westminster Abbey better think again because the area opposite the historic church has turned into a camp site full of Royal fans desperate for the best spot for tomorrow's wedding.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Nobility

I was hoping we'd see William in the Irish Guards RED uniform. Be still my heart!

I also read that the Prince of Asturias will be in his uniform, so perhaps some of the other royals will be as well.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

So far, it looks like there won't be any ugly canopy up over the entrance to the Abbey. (I've been having visions of that hideous white tent-like monstrosity that went up at Andrew and Sarah's wedding in 1986 ever since they announced Westminster Abbey as the venue.)

I suppose there's still half a day left to put one up, though.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
So far, it looks like there won't be any ugly canopy up over the entrance to the Abbey. (I've been having visions of that hideous white tent-like monstrosity that went up at Andrew and Sarah's wedding in 1986 ever since they announced Westminster Abbey as the venue.)

But with rain it would be difficult for Kate to come in the Abbey as they can not drive direct before the West Door because of the gates before it.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Nobility

I'm guessing the Duke of Edinburgh will also be in uniform! LOVE all the uniforms! If we can't have tiaras, at least we'll have uniforms and sashes -- and at least three Garter Stars! FABULOUS!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

That might be weather dependent.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Courtier

I'm liking William's uniform. At least it did look good on Mark Phillips when he married Princess Anne, cannot be worse on William. Call me crazy but I'm just a little bit disappointed Prince William won't have the beard and mustache he had earlier on since he looked better that way.

I love the trees! For some reason it reminds me of the French court during Louis XIV and Louis XV. It is just the sort of romantic thing that could have been done in their times.

Now let's just hope Catherine's dress will be as beautiful as Princess Anne's was, or better yet - more beautiful! And I'm still hoping for a tiara on her.

As for weather, slight drops of rain would be permitted during the church ceremony maybe but I hope the couple will be able to ride on an open carriage so not too much rain and thunderstorms please!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
That's surprising -- I'd think Charles would wear morning dress. Hmm.
I too am surprised- I also thought he would be in morning dress. The royal men all in military uniforms adds a level of formality to the wedding, don't you think?

And I'm agree with your statement about the decor- the trees and flowers we have seen so far look just beautiful. It is going to be lovely.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Aristocracy

I had Jerusalem sung at my wedding and Crown Imperial was the music I walked into church to I am looking forward to hearing them performed in the Abbey.
" I was glad " is one of my favorite pieces of choral music, however I am a little disapointed that they are not having Widor's Toccata to come out to, but they wanted British music ,and I think Widor was French. It was my recessional music ,and hard work for the organist to play.

What a great visual and musical treat we are in for tommorow ! I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is wearing , and seeing the magnificent uniforms the men will wear, in fact I think any man not in uniform will look distinctly dowdy !!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Courtier

Is it absolutely true that William will wear his Irish Guards Red uniform? Is it not just another story?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have never heard I Was Glad before, so I looked it up on YouTube, and it seems a bit underwhelming for a bridal processional. I'm hoping that the good people who will be playing/singing it tomorrow morning put some oomph into it, because that's a long 4 1/2 minute walk up to the altar for Catherine, and you need sweeping music behind you for it.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But with rain it would be difficult for Kate to come in the Abbey as they can not drive direct before the West Door because of the gates before it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristineML View Post
That might be weather dependent.
I realize that practically it's a good idea...but I can't help viscerally feeling that her dress isn't going to be made of pulled sugar and that it can stand a sprinkle or two.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Aristocracy

SisterMophine , "I Was Glad " was written for a coronation, Edward VII I think, it is a glorious peice of music . I can assure you that it will be well sung , the majesty of this peice will sweep Catherine and her father up the aisle.

Where ever you are Enjoy !!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I'd have been very surprised if Prince Charles worn morning suit. I know he's no longer on active service, but his Dad (DoE) wasn't active when he worn his full naval uniform to Prince Charles's wedding. Also Prince William is wearing a uniform, so why not join and wear his uniform. I'm assuming the DoE will wear his uniform too tomorrow? I'd be shocked otherwise.

I really like the red uniforms, but had thought he'd go with RAF uniform since he's actively serving. Hopefully his RAF colleagues (especially in his team who are all attending the wedding) will understand his decision. And to be honest, the RAF uniform is pretty bland compared to Naval or the red Army uniforms). I have read somewhere that many RAF folks don't care for their dress uniforms either, so maybe it's all good?

Can't wait to see the wedding!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
I'd have been very surprised if Prince Charles worn morning suit. I know he's no longer on active service, but his Dad (DoE) wasn't active when he worn his full naval uniform to Prince Charles's wedding.
I'd be surprised too. Everyone who had a uniform wore one to Andrew's wedding in 1986 as well (which is the last big wedding that wasn't officially a state occasion).
Old 04-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Nobility

A couple of things:

Uniforms: It occurred to me that Pr. Andrew and Pr. Edward may wear uniforms as well. And since Pr. Charles wore one for his 60th birthday "official photograph" (a mighty fine image of him, I might add), I'm guessing he would WANT to wear one. It does add to the formality of the occasion.

I Was Glad: Lady of Hay, you are so right! It is a fabulous piece, a spine-tingler in a great cathedral/abbey, and with the brass, orchestra, and organ, it will be very inspiring...
Old 04-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Nobility

Prince Edward probably won't wear a uniform. He did not serve very long with the Royal Marines and typically wears a suit even at events where his brothers are in uniform.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I think Filipe is also going to wear his military uniform with the Victorian Order embellishments (can't remember the real name).

Quote:
I have never heard I Was Glad before, so I looked it up on YouTube, and it seems a bit underwhelming for a bridal processional. I'm hoping that the good people who will be playing/singing it tomorrow morning put some oomph into it, because that's a long 4 1/2 minute walk up to the altar for Catherine, and you need sweeping music behind you for it.

I'm with you on this one.

Quote:
I said before that I would wait until I could see some pictures of what the trees in the Abbey looked like before I'd pass final judgment.....and I have to say they look great! I love the look of it -- very dreamy.

OK, I concede. It does NOT look like Westminster Abbey, but it does look strangely nice! Hooray!!! It's not hideous, as my mind's eye saw it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
Hi again, KittyAtlanta: Then you know that until twenty or so years ago, instrumental only processionals were not so common in high church weddings in the U.K. In America, instrumental processional/recessionals seem to me more common, I think due in part to the fact that it's getting hard to find more than a few high caliber church choirs in the U.S. like those that are (even still) fairly common throughout the U.K. And I suppose that, outside of the more traditional Anglican churches, few people in the U.S. have experienced sung processionals. Sorry I assumed you did not know the I Was Glad, since with your background, I'm sure you do. I just adore that whole "grand sung processional thing." I'm also looking forward to the new John Rutter piece. Look forward to exchanging thoughts and reactions with you!
There are plenty of high-caliber church choirs in the States.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding