The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #4061  
Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Lady Deborah's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Laceyville, United States
Posts: 80
What a great bit of
Research on the commonwealth flowers! Fascinating!
But I do hope she doest include leeks, somehow...LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals
__________________

__________________
  #4062  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Do you think the wedding cake is for the reception and the chocolate one is for the diner offered at the evening par the prince of wales ? or both for the reception?

The article I read said both are for the reception.
The one wedding cake is (horrors!) our old friend the fruitcake; the chocolate one has been designated "the alternative cake."

(I know which one I would choose!)
__________________

__________________
  #4063  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Deborah View Post
What a great bit of
Research on the commonwealth flowers! Fascinating!
But I do hope she doest include leeks, somehow...LOL!
perhaps they could add it to the fruit cake' recipe, making "extra" yummy......



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The article I read said both are for the reception.
The one wedding cake is (horrors!) our old friend the fruitcake; the chocolate one has been designated "the alternative cake."

(I know which one I would choose!)
after me, you can take the second piece :P
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
  #4064  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Actually Diana did get closer to Raine after her father's death. That being said, I can't imagine why Raine would be invited. I don't believe she has a relationship with William.
you never know. There are a lot of people being invited for other reasons than "close relationship to the couple". anyways, we'll have to wait and see
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
  #4065  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 423
Fruit cake is delicious beleive me, I taste many at weddings in cornwall and near london each time I found it really tasty and marvellous. You add fresh fruits with it and the combination is extra.
__________________
  #4066  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
you never know. There are a lot of people being invited for other reasons than "close relationship to the couple". anyways, we'll have to wait and see
That is true. But they are either government officials, heads of state (or their representatives), friends of the parents (Charles, Diana, Camilla, Michael and Carole) and of the grandparents. In everyday weddings, it is customary for parents of the bridal couple to invite some friends to their children's wedding.

Where does Raine fit into that? She definitely hasn't been seen in public with them, which means nothing. They could have met in private, but even than you would have heard a whisper.

Raine doesn't appear to have a relationship with her stepkids, why would she with her step grandchildren?
__________________
.

  #4067  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The article I read said both are for the reception.
The one wedding cake is (horrors!) our old friend the fruitcake; the chocolate one has been designated "the alternative cake."

(I know which one I would choose!)
CNN had a segment this morning on the cakes and interviewed the bakers too. Just looking at what that chocolate biscuit cake will resemble has had me in a drooling for chocolate mode all day so far. Quite yummy looking!

You can watch the segment at: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...eLoggedIn=true
__________________
  #4068  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
That is true. But they are either government officials, heads of state (or their representatives), friends of the parents (Charles, Diana, Camilla, Michael and Carole) and of the grandparents. In everyday weddings, it is customary for parents of the bridal couple to invite some friends to their children's wedding.

Where does Raine fit into that? She definitely hasn't been seen in public with them, which means nothing. They could have met in private, but even than you would have heard a whisper.

Raine doesn't appear to have a relationship with her stepkids, why would she with her step grandchildren?
Perhaps she could be invited just to show a nice gesture. 1900 seats, they could fit her there
William Hill would have so many different ideas after checking this thread

on another note

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-Street.html

the local councils sure know how to make it way more complicated! that must put a lot of people off
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
  #4069  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
CNN had a segment this morning on the cakes and interviewed the bakers too. Just looking at what that chocolate biscuit cake will resemble has had me in a drooling for chocolate mode all day so far. Quite yummy looking!

You can watch the segment at: Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li...e1svo1_400.jpg

Queen Victoria’s 1898 wedding fruit cake is still moist 113 years later. The icing is discolored due to improper storage and is cracked from a WWII bombing. Displayed in the bakery’s window for many years, the baker’s daughter finally donated it, as she had never been married and worried someone would find it in her attic and think she had been left at the altar
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
  #4070  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,379
Shockingly I don't believe they dont' have enough seats. If the reports in the Daily Mail are true, they aren't even inviting all of their friends. But find a space for Raine Spencer?
__________________
.

  #4071  
Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
Does anyone know if Raine, the Dowager Countess Spencer is invited for the Royal Wedding?
She is, ofcourse, the step-grandmother of Prince William.
It certainly would be a very gracious gesture if she was invited. Raine nursed Diana's father, Williams's grandfather, back to health after a devastating stroke. I remember reading that no one thought he would be able to walk Diana down the isle for her wedding but Earl Spencer himself said that without the determination and care of Raine it did happen. It must have meant a lot to Diana to have her dad recouperate enought to be able to do that.

Extended families are more than the people you hang out with on a frequent basis.
__________________
  #4072  
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li...e1svo1_400.jpg

Queen Victoria’s 1898 wedding fruit cake is still moist 113 years later. The icing is discolored due to improper storage and is cracked from a WWII bombing. Displayed in the bakery’s window for many years, the baker’s daughter finally donated it, as she had never been married and worried someone would find it in her attic and think she had been left at the altar

Queen Victoria didn't get married in 1898, she got married in 1840. So whoever wrote that needed to do some fact checking.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #4073  
Old 03-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The article I read said both are for the reception.
The one wedding cake is (horrors!) our old friend the fruitcake; the chocolate one has been designated "the alternative cake."

(I know which one I would choose!)
Ha Ha - most people seem to prefer an alternative to the fruit cake. As I love fruit wedding cake, there is always plenty left for me at weddings!
__________________
JACK
  #4074  
Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,197
It's nice to see that we have confirmation about Mathilde and Phillipe.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #4075  
Old 03-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Queen Victoria didn't get married in 1898, she got married in 1840. So whoever wrote that needed to do some fact checking.
oh my! sorry, but I found this at tumblr and now can't found the original source.
anyone would still fancy a bite?
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
  #4076  
Old 03-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,285
I hope that those squatters in the tents in front of the Abbey will be gone before the wedding. That tent city is an awful eyesore.

What is up with that?

I don't understand why people are permitted to pitch tents in a public area and just live there for years and years! How is that possible?

Doesn't the U.K. have any trespassing laws?
__________________
  #4077  
Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
sproketti's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Baltimore, United States
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Here's what I found about wedding cakes:

The Groom's Cake is a tradition that was prevalent in early American ceremonies, but seems to have fallen from favor in most contemporary weddings. The groom's cake was usually dark (e.g., chocolate) to contrast with the bride's cake.
The groom's cake still pops up in some American weddings, especially in the south. I think that some people don't bother with them due to price constraints because the main cake is so expensive now that instead of being considered the bride's cake, it now represents the couple.

The groom's cake often has something to do with an interest the groom has. They can also be kind of wacky. Anyone who saw Steel Magnolias would remember the grooms cake that looked like a dead armadillo.
__________________
  #4078  
Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I hope that those squatters in the tents in front of the Abbey will be gone before the wedding. That tent city is an awful eyesore.

What is up with that?

I don't understand why people are permitted to pitch tents in a public area and just live there for years and years! How is that possible?

Doesn't the U.K. have any trespassing laws?
Better than living on the street and under bridges. Although homelessness is an eyesore the reality is that everyone needs a dry place to sleep. The tents will most likely be gone by the time the wedding takes place but the homeless will still be homeless. All cities are dealing with the homeless issue, including Philadelphia.
__________________
  #4079  
Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by sproketti View Post
The groom's cake still pops up in some American weddings, especially in the south. I think that some people don't bother with them due to price constraints because the main cake is so expensive now that instead of being considered the bride's cake, it now represents the couple.

The groom's cake often has something to do with an interest the groom has. They can also be kind of wacky. Anyone who saw Steel Magnolias would remember the grooms cake that looked like a dead armadillo.
Off topic but I so remember that scene. I remember when she cut of the butt and gave it to the bride's father.

Don't want that to happen at the royal wedding!
__________________
  #4080  
Old 03-27-2011, 04:59 PM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,545
Is this fruitcake a tradition?
I can't imagine anyone picking that for their wedding cake. The chocolate biscuit cake now that sounds delicious...yummy:)
__________________

__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]