The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They won't be 'King and Queen of the Commonwealth'. The Commonwealth doesn't have a monarch. 16 nations within the Commonwealth had the present Queen as their monarch but the vast majority of the countries of the Commonwealth are republics although a couple have their own monarch e.g. Malaysia.

Currently the monarch is Head of the Commonwealth but that is not a given to continue after the death of the Queen and there have been many reports over the years that they won't choose Charles in that position when the time comes.

Australia's national flower is the Golden Wattle not the eucaplytus tree - Golden Wattle - Australia's Golden Wattle - National Flower

1st September is officially 'wattle day' here in recognition of this flower and its national significance.
I meant the commonwealth realms, reflected by naming the sixteen countries that make up the commonwealth realms, which the queen does serve as monarch of.

A few countries have more than one national symbol. I put the eucalyptus as it was the one people would recognize for Australia. But you're right the wattle is the national flower.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

According to the Belgian media the palace confirmed the presence of prince Philippe and pricesss Mathilde at the wedding.

Source

Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

It is great that Belgian Crown Princely couple will attend the wedding. I am looking forward to seeing their photos.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the flower pictures - what an interesting diversion while waiting.

I too have been wondering what the PoW would wear. I suspect he'll wear the same uniform he wore at his own wedding, so that the two men are more distinctive appearing - I'd love to know if these men discuss such things or not. But whichever uniform it is, the PoW will look dashing.

I've been showing a recent video of him to some of my classes, and they find him a very interesting and intelligent man - not quite "charming," but definitely "princely," and are able to understand his English, even though they speak "American."
Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Royal Highness

What color does anyone think Pippa's maid of honor dress might be?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
What color does anyone think Pippa's maid of honor dress might be?
based on past royal bridesmaids, I can see something like creamy yellow or lilac.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
based on past royal bridesmaids, I can see something like creamy yellow or lilac.
I hope not. The dress usually suits the flowers, and I am hoping for something a bit more bold in flower colors. There has been so much talk of making it more modern. I'd love a red, or deep shade of blue or such. But just like the flowers, I have a feeling I'll be disappointed, and you'll be right on lilac or yellow, with the usual royal flowers of pale lillies, roses and such.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
I meant the commonwealth realms, reflected by naming the sixteen countries that make up the commonwealth realms, which the queen does serve as monarch of.

There are over 50 'commonwealth realms' though and the Queen is only the monarch of 16 of them.

The term Commonwealth simply doesn't apply when discussing the concept of King or Queen of the Commonwealth - especially now that nations that were never connected to Britain can join the Commonwealth - e.g. Mozambique, Cameroon and Rwanda.

Although the 16 nations of which the Queen is the monarch are all members of the Commonwealth there are 39 nations in the Commonwealth of which she isn't the monarch and 3 of them have no connection to Britain having been Portuguese, French and Belgian colonies.

There is no requirement that the British monarch will continue to be the Head of the Commonwealth after the death of the present monarch. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Charles doesn't become Head of the Commonwealth at all - as the respective nations don't all agree with the idea of one person, by right of birth, being the Head of the Commonwealth anymore - reflecting Britain's reducing role on the world stage.

Quote:
A few countries have more than one national symbol. I put the eucalyptus as it was the one people would recognize for Australia. But you're right the wattle is the national flower.
Certainly many countries have more than one national symbol but most only have one national flower and ours it the wattle - a flower - not a tree which has small flowers that most people don't even see due to the leaves being what we associate with the eucalyptus tree.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Let's stay on topic.

All posts regarding the Commonwealth after Elizabeth II should be posted here The Commonwealth and Commonwealth Realms post Elizabeth .

Old 03-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Courtier

The wedding cake designer has officially been announced via Clarence House Twitter and the Royal Wedding website.

Leicestershire-based Fiona Cairns

ClarenceHouse Clarence House
Royal Wedding cake designer is announced - Royal Wedding cake designer is announced #rw2011

Royal Wedding cake designer is announced

I know the fruitcake bit had already previously been reported on, but they also add that William made a special request for a "Chocolate Biscuit" for the Buckingham reception.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness

http://m.usmag.com/v/CelebNews/Princ...5b4ed23b025044

Another article....unfortunately cream colored cake doesn't give much hint towards wedding colors for flowers/dresses
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I hope not. The dress usually suits the flowers, and I am hoping for something a bit more bold in flower colors. There has been so much talk of making it more modern. I'd love a red, or deep shade of blue or such. But just like the flowers, I have a feeling I'll be disappointed, and you'll be right on lilac or yellow, with the usual royal flowers of pale lillies, roses and such.
as I stated I chose based on previous occasion, but we never know. As long as it is not black or white, it won't be a big deal to me.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
The wedding cake designer has officially been announced via Clarence House Twitter and the Royal Wedding website.

Leicestershire-based Fiona Cairns

ClarenceHouse Clarence House
Royal Wedding cake designer is announced - Royal Wedding cake designer is announced #rw2011

Royal Wedding cake designer is announced

I know the fruitcake bit had already previously been reported on, but they also add that William made a special request for a "Chocolate Biscuit" for the Buckingham reception.
"Chocolate Biscuit" or as we call here in Brazil, "Pave de Chocolate" it's one of my mom's favorite recipe, but I never though as a wedding cake choice. Interesting .... better then fruit cake, I guess.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Thanks for the flower pictures - what an interesting diversion while waiting.

I too have been wondering what the PoW would wear. I suspect he'll wear the same uniform he wore at his own wedding, so that the two men are more distinctive appearing - I'd love to know if these men discuss such things or not. But whichever uniform it is, the PoW will look dashing.

I've been showing a recent video of him to some of my classes, and they find him a very interesting and intelligent man - not quite "charming," but definitely "princely," and are able to understand his English, even though they speak "American."
I suspect he'd wear his primary/default uniform, the Naval one (which I think is the best looking uniform there, IMHO). I've never cared much for the RAF one, but since that's PW's 'primary' service, I expect he'll be wearing that one.

Regardless of what he wear, he'll look great!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Us Mobile - Celebrity News - Prince William and Kate Middleton Chose Cake Designer

Another article....unfortunately cream colored cake doesn't give much hint towards wedding colors for flowers/dresses
we'll see her website Our Products: Weddings - Fiona Cairns
Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
I suspect he'd wear his primary/default uniform, the Naval one (which I think is the best looking uniform there, IMHO). I've never cared much for the RAF one, but since that's PW's 'primary' service, I expect he'll be wearing that one.

Regardless of what he wear, he'll look great!
I am confident William will be RAF, it's not simply his primary, it's his active. It's note like Prince Charles who has not been in the military for years, except royal appointments. William is actively serving in the RAF for another two years, and I'd think it customary to wear. I'd expect to see Charles in his naval, as like Andrew, that was his primary service. I don't think him wearing RAF would be showing support to his son. I think being there for his son as he marries the woman he loves, is support enough.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
What ever the flavor she makes beautiful cakes.A lot of cakes are simple white or cream, and than use the flowers from the wedding for decoration. I am so hoping for reds or blues, some color.

It seems she has been a favorite of the extended family before. I noticed this quote.

"Fiona Cairns make cakes that taste superb and look amazing. They’re handmade and elegantly decorated."
Tom Parker Bowles
Night and Day Magazine
The Mail on Sunday.

William's stepbrother.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Serene Highness

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertai...0323_xwide.jpg

so perhaps something like that?

Quote:
What ever the flavor she makes beautiful cakes.A lot of cakes are simple white or cream, and than use the flowers from the wedding for decoration. I am so hoping for reds or blues, some color.

It seems she has been a favorite of the extended family before. I noticed this quote.

"Fiona Cairns make cakes that taste superb and look amazing. They’re handmade and elegantly decorated."
Tom Parker Bowles
Night and Day Magazine
The Mail on Sunday.

William's stepbrother.
It would be very nice to see something more bold like the colors used by other CP's bridesmaid. I guess because the BRF will use so many little ones, I'm having a harder time picturing something more bold color-wise.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Royal Highness

http://m.people.com/newsitem.rbml?item=20476816

Way more detail here- the baker sent 4 samples to K and W, and the cake will have their initials on it plus apparently Sweet Williams will be used and 4 flowers ( Irish Shamrock, Tudor Rose, something from Scottland and one more)representing the 4 areas of the UK, and Kate is in the drivers seat per cake baker....

' Kate has clear ideas about the 16 different blooms – including one called 'Sweet William". Says Cairns, who also makes a cake every Christmas for Paul McCartney and has created delicious baked goods for rock band Pink Floyd: "She knew very much what she wanted, and she brought us mood boards and told us what influences she would like us to use on the cake."
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe it's the shamrock, Tudor rose, thistle from Scotland and I believe something from Wales (not a leek, I hope!).

Somebody here called the Sweet Williams, I think! Good call. :)

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding