The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Aristocracy

GhostNight wrote: I've fallen a bit behind on news so dunno if this has been posted
Royal Wedding GE fridge celebrates Prince William and Kate Middleton with class - Princess Diana Remembered

William and Kate will smash glass at wedding - Princess Diana Remembered
Quote:
According to detailed wedding plans, due to be released on Sunday, a small amount of mehendi or turmeric, paste will be smeared on Kate's hand in a Muslim pre-wedding ritual. The couple will then offer each other a morsel of food to express mutual love and affection in accordance with the Hindu practice, and then William will smash a glass with his foot as at Jewish weddings.

Oooh, thanks for posting that! I love including other religions/cultures in wedding preparations and ceremonies when it's nice and subtle. Some brides I have noticed lately are doing some of the henna designs traditionally painted on the palms of the hands (the theory goes that the longer it takes for the henna designs to fade the stronger the love is, marriage will be, etc.). Some not the entire palm but one or two designs, some going up and circling the ring finger.

To me it would be wonderful to see some unique surprises like that, touches that show them as a couple....

As for the charities chosen I am quite impressed. I just hope guests or well wishers do donate instead of (or as well as) gifts to them. The combination of the various charities seems very thoughtfully chosen. Tying it to the wedding can help create a legacy for the couple that is uniquely theirs. This would be a good practice for many people to adopt instead of gifts that go to waste. Who needs another blender anyway!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Ceasar's wife = above reproach.

I will be on an airplane while the wedding is going on. I'll see it later.
Wherever you are I expect to hear what your commentary is even if we differ. You are a fanatstic contributor. Much appreciated.Also I have to agree that it is not appropriate to incorportae other traditions into the religious ceremony.But if they do that includes fasting ;abstinence from sex;except in Sikhism.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Serene Highness

I find it difficult to understand why people appropriate other customs in bits and pieces for their ceremonies (as a gesture of drawing people together, I suppose?) while leaving out so many other traditions (nothing from Africa?)

I believe the custom of lavishing diamonds, emeralds, rubies and sapphires on the bride is probably a thing of the past - although it was not too long ago that it was in place (Diana got jewels).

Queen Elizabeth II was given a stunning diamond necklace by South Africa for her 21st birthday, IIRC, and received other jewels at that time as well (times have really changed).
Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
If that's true, that's really pretty awesome.
It sounds really strange to me. I could understand if they were of different faiths but they are not. A traditional Church of England wedding service does not seem to lend itself to a multi-faith "insert" with any degree of ease. If so, so be it however, is there an "official" press release from either Clarendon House or Buckingham Palace to formally announce what is essentially a very important deviation from the CofE norm?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Courtier

The story I was told about the henna was that as long as it lasted on the bride's hand she did not have to do any housework. :)

After that she was directed in her chores by her mother in law.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Royal Highness

Sorry that's ridiculous... Those are not their religions and I feel it's wrong to practice any religious custom that does not reflect your own beliefs. If that's true , it's pandering to plp IMO and I hope this is not true
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Sorry that's ridiculous... Those are not their religions and I feel it's wrong to practice any religious custom that does not reflect your own beliefs. If that's true , it's pandering to plp IMO and I hope this is not true
I completely agree with you. I don't see a point in practicing something that has no meaning to you. I understand multiculturalism, but this is going a little too far.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S

I completely agree with you. I don't see a point in practicing something that has no meaning to you. I understand multiculturalism, but this is going a little too far.
I think they've recognized that their future roles are as the symbolic figureheads of a very diverse nation- that the monarchy needs to serve in an ambassador capacity at home as well as abroad, and that charity and promoting unity and pride in the UK will be their most important goals. Incorporating that into their wedding is a clear symbol that they recognize that. I think it's lovely and I hope it's true. This couple just seems to be getting it totally right thus far.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
This doesn't sound right to me. They are not Muslim, Hindu nor are they Jewish. These wedding rituals are based on long traditions that have specific meaning to these cultures and religions. If William was Hindu/Muslim and Kate was Jewish, then of course they would want to incorporate these traditions in their union. I can't imagine Kate or William would be think this is a wise decision, nor can I imagine that the Queen would support this. This wedding will be televised around the world.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione

I think they've recognized that their future roles are as the symbolic figureheads of a very diverse nation- that the monarchy needs to serve in an ambassador capacity at home as well as abroad, and that charity and promoting unity and pride in the UK will be their most important goals. Incorporating that into their wedding is a clear symbol that they recognize that. I think it's lovely and I hope it's true. This couple just seems to be getting it totally right thus far.
If that's the case then maybe attend different services to show your open to diversification but to include it in your own wedding ceremony when it is not your religious beliefs is IMO paying lipservice to it and honestly just ridiculous ..... If this article is true and they do that I will lose massive respect, and also isn't it 'wrong' to do in a way since William will be the head of the Church of England? It would be like a rabbi taking confession, no?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat

This doesn't sound right to me. They are not Muslim, Hindu nor are they Jewish. These wedding rituals are based on long traditions that have specific meaning to these cultures and religions. If William was Hindu/Muslim and Kate was Jewish, then of course they would want to incorporate these traditions in their union. I can't imagine Kate or William would be think this is a wise decision, nor can I imagine that the Queen would support this. This wedding will be televised around the world.
Well said!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't agree with the inter-religion practices either, and I hope that the story is simply a rumour. After all, Westminister Abbey is a building that was dedicated for the worship of the God of Christianity. Incorporation of other religious traditions is disrespectful.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I can see it now...

A couture designed burka for the bride, A tallit for the groom, pippa in a wimple and clutching a rosary, Prince Henry in Buddhist garb, the Prince of Wales dressed as a Hindu elder, the Duchess of Cornwall as a Hari Krishna and the Queen as a Protestant nun.

Wonderful!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Well so far there has been a deafening silence on the request for "official verification" of this latest piece of information. The source for the original article is the "Princess Diana Remembered" website: William and Kate will smash glass at wedding - Princess Diana Remembered which includes the words: "According to detailed wedding plans, due to be released on Sunday"!

I'll believe it when I see it on the Official Wedding website!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I can see it now...

A couture designed burka for the bride, A tallit for the groom, pippa in a wimple and clutching a rosary, Prince Henry in Buddhist garb, the Prince of Wales dressed as a Hindu elder, the Duchess of Cornwall as a Hari Krishna and the Queen as a Protestant nun.

Wonderful!
Good one!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I can see it now...

Wonderful!

Oy vey...

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Serene Highness

woh! a lot of things have happended since the last time I checked. But after reading a few post I'm glad! jezzz..

so my input.

I come from a family that is very open minded, but to have all those things into the church ceremony seems to be too forced.
If they'd asked for a "representative" of each one of those religions to share a word about love and marriage that, IMO, would be more appropriate and a nice gesture.
But again for me to say here that this's horrible would be easy ,I wonder what British people who practice those religions will think of that. ??
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Not suggesting the report is accurate, but there appears to me to be no reson to incorporate a number of external faith practices into a Christian wedding service. No matter the couple.

Infact, I find the thought of it incredibly odd if not a little embarrassing, and note with a good deal of bemusement that western culture is at times, so prone to appear eager to pacify peoples or institutions of other faiths. This is by no means a discourteous slight against any other faith which is not my own, but I can all but guarantee that you would not come across an indigenous couple in India or Kuwait (as examples) who would ever contemplate the thought of adding christian practices into their wedding service. And neither should they.

You can appreciate and embrace other cultures and religions but you don't need to observe any of their practices to do so. And really the expression is rather hollow when the people involved are not practicing commitals.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae
woh! a lot of things have happended since the last time I checked. But after reading a few post I'm glad! jezzz..

so my input.

I come from a family that is very open minded, but to have all those things into the church ceremony seems to be too forced.
If they'd asked for a "representative" of each one of those religions to share a word about love and marriage that, IMO, would be more appropriate and a nice gesture.
But again for me to say here that this's horrible would be easy ,I wonder what British people who practice those religions will think of that. ??
That is a very good idea about having reps from different religious traditions speak or maybe give a blessing or whatever. I think we need to wait for the official details before we get too excited about this

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals
Old 03-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Not suggesting the report is accurate, but there appears to me to be no reson to incorporate a number of external faith practices into a Christian wedding service. No matter the couple.

Infact, I find the thought of it incredibly odd if not a little embarrassing, and note with a good deal of bemusement that western culture is at times, so prone to appear eager to pacify peoples or institutions of other faiths. This is by no means a discourteous slight against any other faith which is not my own, but I can all but guarantee that you would not come across an indigenous couple in India or Kuwait (as examples) who would ever contemplate the thought of adding christian practices into their wedding service. And neither should they.

You can appreciate and embrace other cultures and religions but you don't need to observe any of their practices to do so. And really the expression is rather hollow when the people involved are not practicing commitals.
I agree with you, a person in line for the throne can not even marry a Catholic, a faith not so far from their own..I can't see them doing something that is so far off base..

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding