The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Queen Victoria is reported to have worn the first ever white wedding gown in 1840...that's 171 years ago, so it depends on your definition of "fairly recent."
Victoria may have popularized it, but Mary Queen of Scots wore white for her wedding to the French Dauphin long before that.

But white as the universal color for wedding gowns is a fairly recent trend, imo.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I wore a misty pale gray trimmed with silver for my wedding. And I'm not far away!

The ad for that cup cannot be serious. Is it?!!!
My grandmother wore pale grey silk with silver embroidery at her wedding in 1920. We still have the gown, it is lovely.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
Today, the fabulous roster of musicians for the wedding was announced!

Two brass fanfare teams, two choirs, the London Chamber Orchestra! It is going to be fabulous!

Musicians for the Wedding Service at Westminster Abbey

This sounds magnificent..I can't wait!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

The ceremony (including vows, readings and music) will be available on iTunes.

The Royal Wedding - The Official Album by Choir Of Westminster Abbey & James O'Donnell - Preorder The Royal Wedding - The Official Album on iTunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
What ever color, and I don't see her straying from royal tradition of some shade of white, maybe in the under skirts a bit of pink or purple might be found but mainly white, she needs to be her own person. She needs to make a break from being compared to her late soon to be mother in law. No one can compare to Diana, and Kate tries, she will crumble. Let her make her own mark.
Definitely agree. I can't even imagine the fuss that would be made if her wedding dress was inspired by something Diana wore.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

Royal Wedding Charitable Gift Fund

Royal Wedding Charitable Gift Fund

http://www.royalweddingcharityfund.org/
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Victoria may have popularized it, but Mary Queen of Scots wore white for her wedding to the French Dauphin long before that.

But white as the universal color for wedding gowns is a fairly recent trend, imo.
Mary Stuart's white dress had a different reason: in the renaissance white was the colour of the Court in mourning. When she married the Dauphin Francis in april 1558, the Court of France was in official mourning for the Dowager Queen of Francis I., Eleonore of Castile (Leonor de Austria) who had died only 6 weeks before the wedding date. Thus Mary wore white as the colour of mourning for French queens and princesses. She wore white with black applications again on her second wedding to Lord Darnley, because by then she herself was one of the "White Queens" (a "Reine Blanche") of France which was the name for the widow of a French king - a queen in mourning.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The charities include some based in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, to reflect the couple’s close ties to and affection for the three countries following visits by Prince William in the past.
That the reach of selected charitable causes should include Australia, Canada and New Zealand, and at the request of the couple, is particularly heart warming.

William indeed seems to have taken all three countries to heart and I'm sure such gestures of goodwill, encouragement and affection will be heartily reciprocated throughout his life.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Mary Stuart's white dress had a different reason: in the renaissance white was the colour of the Court in mourning. When she married the Dauphin Francis in april 1558, the Court of France was in official mourning for the Dowager Queen of Francis I., Eleonore of Castile (Leonor de Austria) who had died only 6 weeks before the wedding date. Thus Mary wore white as the colour of mourning for French queens and princesses. She wore white with black applications again on her second wedding to Lord Darnley, because by then she herself was one of the "White Queens" (a "Reine Blanche") of France which was the name for the widow of a French king - a queen in mourning.
With all due respect, Mary Stuart chose white on her own, there was no mourning as far as I know. White was highly unusual for weddings at the time. White is the traditional color of mourning in France. When she wed Darnley, she chose a black gown with a great mourning hood.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am presently reading a book on Royal Marriages by Leslie Carroll. It confirms a white gown for her marriage to the Dauphin. It also states that at both her subsequent marriages "Over her weddig gown she wore her deuil blanc, a white sack that covered her from head to toe - the traditional mouring garment for French Queens - emblematic of her status as a widow, and by extension, the Dowager Queen of France".
Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
With all due respect, Mary Stuart chose white on her own, there was no mourning as far as I know. White was highly unusual for weddings at the time. White is the traditional color of mourning in France. When she wed Darnley, she chose a black gown with a great mourning hood.

When Mary married Francis II, it was less than two months after the death of Eleanor of Austria, Francis I's second wife (and dowager queen). So yes, the court would have been in mourning, meaning Mary would have worn the traditional color of white. I don't know how long the prescribed period of mourning was in the French court, but one could safely say more than two months. So her wedding dress would have been white, as that was the color of mourning.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Nobility

Kate was effectively with the Prince of wales and Camilla yesterday evening at the Royal Theatre in Covent Garden to see the last representation of the Ballet "Alice in Wonderland". People just understood the trio was there when they salute at the end of the Ballet. They salute them in the Royal Box and Kate was sat between charles and camilla. Just read that (dont remember in which newspaper) a few minutes ago.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Kate was effectively with the Prince of wales and Camilla yesterday evening at the Royal Theatre in Covent Garden to see the last representation of the Ballet "Alice in Wonderland". People just understood the trio was there when they salute at the end of the Ballet. They salute them in the Royal Box and Kate was sat between charles and camilla. Just read that (dont remember in which newspaper) a few minutes ago.
maybe here
Kate Middleton Attends Ballet with Charles and Camilla : People.com
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
When Mary married Francis II, it was less than two months after the death of Eleanor of Austria, Francis I's second wife (and dowager queen). So yes, the court would have been in mourning, meaning Mary would have worn the traditional color of white. I don't know how long the prescribed period of mourning was in the French court, but one could safely say more than two months. So her wedding dress would have been white, as that was the color of mourning.

I read that that (mourning) was the reason everyone at court did not want Mary to wear white for her wedding; she was urged to dress in blue, instead.
But Mary insisted, and got her way.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Administrator

While the information to past royal weddings is very much appreciated, let's try to focus on William and Catherine's wedding.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
The dress looks like a bad 1980's prom dress. And I think the last thing Kate needs, considering all the other comparisons to Diana especially with the ring, is to have a dress which is inspired by her. She needs to be her own person.

And flowers in the hair? Please tell me you don't mean a wreath like Fergie? Kate is so beautiful and modern, I feel if she wore a dress like the one you posted, and flowers like Fergie, we'd feel like we went back 20 years ago.

Diana was a style icon of her time. But unlike someone like Princes Grace, she was not timeless. Most of her gowns and such were beautiful for the time period, 80's-90's, but are out dated now. There are some beautiful exceptions to the rule.

What ever color, and I don't see her straying from royal tradition of some shade of white, maybe in the under skirts a bit of pink or purple might be found but mainly white, she needs to be her own person. She needs to make a break from being compared to her late soon to be mother in law. No one can compare to Diana, and Kate tries, she will crumble. Let her make her own mark.
Wow, this is getting tiring. I feel like I could have mentioned any dress and you would hate it. As I wrote not a copy of that dress but something dreamy looking like that, modernized. (Yet Kate already seems to wear a lot of 80's inspired outfits though so not really a stretch.)

I am the first person to say I hope she doesn't copy Diana. Yet grand wedding dresses always call to the past in some way, to some era. In fact it is usually the one day women will indulge their romantic fantasies of fashion from the past.

As for a flower "wreath" no. Fresh flowers in her hair which many brides choose now would be very pretty. I mention Fergie as in how she went in single, not royal with flowers, and emerged married and revealing the tiara which was nice and surprisingly humble.

Also I wrote I liked the idea of a fairy princess like, floaty dress in white, not lilac as in Diana's photo. If you want to pick apart my posts relentlessly please read them completely first, and even then give me a break. I come here to have fun and speculate.

Very interesting posts guys about Mary, I didn't realize white was the color of mourning then. Yet, come to think of it, recently I have seen a movie from the Philippines which shows a funeral where the mourners also wore all white.

I hope Kate will choose a dress that is right for her, and for the church occasion, because she will have to live with the photos for years to come. It is fun to speculate on several types of dresses, colors, hairstyles, makeup, etc. We may all be very surprised what she chooses, I hope so. I know the sort of dress I would design for her (more ethereal), and I will enjoy seeing what she does wear because I keep going in circles wondering. At least the wedding is coming soon!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I loved this article haha
Royal Wedding: VIP HELLO! fan Kate checks out royal wedding coverage in her favourite magazine - hellomagazine.com

This one though annoyed me
Matthew Williamson slates Kate Middleton's style - Princess Diana Remembered
Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Royal Highness

It's cute she reads Hello and I know we've heard it before but it is sweet to be reminded that the wedding dress is secret because Kate wants to surprise her husband to be! (not sure why that means they can't announce designer but it's ok )
Old 03-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

The first article is funny thinking of them picking up stuff from the local store must give people a turn to be in line with Prince William picking up a Flake bar or something!

The second article is a little mean. Dishing about public figures on a forum is one thing, but I don't really like when people do it in magazines. Kate isn't thrilling to me either in the fashion department and I roll my eyes when I see her being called a fashion icon suddenly just because they are getting married. Yet I am interested in the wedding dress as I've posted before. He says Kate isn't a "Fashion Bunny", uhhhh, who is? What a weird expression. If he means she's not big into fashion, she does not have to be to look presentable. Also who knows Kate may surprise people as time goes on.

Did he just offer that opinion to get himself some press, etc. or was he asked to comment on Kate?

MRSJ: I also like the keeping the dress a secret from William, that's nice. I guess that means they don't want to announce the designer so not to even suggest the style by their previous designs, or in case there are some press who would target the designer to get secret pics, etc.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Royal Highness

Has to do with wedding but not so much Kate and William-

http://royalwedding.yahoo.com/blogs/...om-or-drag-978
Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

BBC announced international coverage
Prince William, Kate Middleton Wedding to Air on BBC : People.com

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding