The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Martine View Post
Is it confirmed that Crown Prince Pavlos will attend the wedding? What about his wife Crown Princess Marie-Chantal?
Isn't it customery for a couple to be invited? I mean for an invitation to be for husband and wife. I'd assume Marie-Chantal is invited, and would come unless she had some reason she is unable to attend.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Queen Victoria is reported to have worn the first ever white wedding gown in 1840...that's 171 years ago, so it depends on your definition of "fairly recent."

I believe she will wear white of some hue. I don't think we'll see a pale blue, pink, yellow, green...all of which were popular when I married in 1970. This was when second and third weddings were becoming "Normal" and the bride wanted to have a(nother) big church wedding, where white (of any hue) would have been considered gauche.
This reminds me of an old saying: -

Married in White, you have chosen right,
Married in Blue, your love will always be true,
Married in Pearl, you will live in a whirl,
Married in Brown, you will live in town,
Married in Red, you will wish yourself dead,
Married in Yellow, ashamed of your fellow,
Married in Green, ashamed to be seen,
Married in Pink, your spirit will sink,
Married in Grey, you will go far away,
Married in Black, you will wish yourself back

I hope Kate's dress is white!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Ah, the shades that lie in between beige and bright white!

Champagne, oyster, pearl, eggshell, bisque, porcelain, cream, vanille...

Princess Grace's dress..is not bright white or even pure white. And it is lovely and perfect for a princess.

Those who are about to be princesses should, above all, remember that they should follow their own desires - and I trust Kate to choose something whitey-like but not blinding. (Although if it is bright white, those Burton dresses come into play in an interesting way - many of those dresses make the best of fabric and construction in the white domain, like swans do).

I'm guessing that if it is Burton, it will be white (but not blinding). There will be folds and shirring and such, so that the overall affect is not one big blob of whiteness.
Well said PrincessKaimi! I agree an all white dress can be beautiful when it works with how the shadows and lights play off the folds, etc. in the dress.

There are many shades that are not pure white but that does not make them brown as people think of the color brown (being quite darker). People don't look at off white, cream, beige, etc. and say it's brown.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Does anyone think it possible that Kate will wear a dress that is NOT white or some shade of ivory?

White is a fairly recent trend for weddings, so it would be possible.
(I don't think it is likely).

However, I remember the first wife of Earl Spencer chose gold; I thought it was really unique.
The late Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester wore a very pale pink gown
Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
Any photo of this dress so the rest of us know what you are speaking of?
(I hope it's okay to post a link here of the dress). In this photo Diana was feeling ill from her soon to be announced pregnancy so her eyes are closed!

This dress is lilac colored, but I like the overall image it gives, dreamy, etc. An updated dress inspired by something like this could be quite pretty, and a departure from the usual styles Kate wears. When Diana was walking, moving in this dress it sort of floated around her and downplayed Diana's height, etc. I am a designer and I could easily imagine taking inspiration from this image, modernizing it, it would look quite lovely I think making the long walk down the carpet at the wedding. It will be the main day she has to be able to play the fairy princess with a dress that can be a little bit over the top. (I also hope she wears flowers somehow in her hair as Fergie did, revealing a tiara later when she was married.)

MelissaAdrian wrote: "And again I doubt McQueen would be insulted to be compared to Oldfield as was insinuated, any more than Oldfield would be to be compared to Mcqueen. They are both incredible designers, whose talents have allowed them to be given the title of a courture designer."

I agree too, that it is doubtful Alexander McQueen would be insulted, mostly for the reason he passed away over a year ago....

Kate of course is free to wear whatever color she likes, style she wants, designer she chooses, etc. and it certainly is not negative to speculate on that, and give opinions. Isn't that the point of this forum, to discuss the subjects of the threads, and not to be "negative" and speak down to other posters?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ithWilliam.jpg

There used to be the trend that women would marry in whatever was considered their best/finest dress whatever the color. I find that interesting how wedding dresses have changed over the decades.

That rhyme about the dress colors is familiar to me too. It would make a superstitious person nervous to wear much other than white or blue! Despite that though I would encourage most women to wear whatever color they like, and looks well on them. Of course Kate also has the challenge of the big church wedding where her dress should look well on camera, in person, and not fade into the background of such impressive surroundings (which could be why a lot of royal brides choose an impressive train too as it makes a big impression just by sheer size)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
The late Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester wore a very pale pink gown
Apparently, the material used in Princess Alexandra's gown was tinted a shade of magnolia - I assume this is amongst the many shades of off-white or cream!?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

I wore a misty pale gray trimmed with silver for my wedding. And I'm not far away!

The ad for that cup cannot be serious. Is it?!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
Isn't it customery for a couple to be invited? I mean for an invitation to be for husband and wife. I'd assume Marie-Chantal is invited, and would come unless she had some reason she is unable to attend.
I think this question was asked before.

Needless to say, it is customary to ask the husband and wife to a wedding, especially if the groom is godfather to their son.

That being said, Marie Chantal must have another engagement, I can't imagine her not being invited. Unfortunately, I don't think we will get an official reason if she doesn't attend.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Gentry

New to this thread but it's exactly what I craved!
Love that poem about the colors of wedding dresses!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

@SPerryPeoplemag UK
"A night out for Kate with her (future) in-laws. #katemiddleton joined Charles and Camilla at the ballet in London this evening"

waiting for pictures
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae
@SPerryPeoplemag UK
"A night out for Kate with her (future) in-laws. #katemiddleton joined Charles and Camilla at the ballet in London this evening"

waiting for pictures
Ooh! I hope that's accurate. Formal event so it'll be exciting to see if she's sporting any engagement present jewelry.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
(I hope it's okay to post a link here of the dress). In this photo Diana was feeling ill from her soon to be announced pregnancy so her eyes are closed!

This dress is lilac colored, but I like the overall image it gives, dreamy, etc. An updated dress inspired by something like this could be quite pretty, and a departure from the usual styles Kate wears. When Diana was walking, moving in this dress it sort of floated around her and downplayed Diana's height, etc. I am a designer and I could easily imagine taking inspiration from this image, modernizing it, it would look quite lovely I think making the long walk down the carpet at the wedding. It will be the main day she has to be able to play the fairy princess with a dress that can be a little bit over the top. (I also hope she wears flowers somehow in her hair as Fergie did, revealing a tiara later when she was married.)

MelissaAdrian wrote: "And again I doubt McQueen would be insulted to be compared to Oldfield as was insinuated, any more than Oldfield would be to be compared to Mcqueen. They are both incredible designers, whose talents have allowed them to be given the title of a courture designer."

I agree too, that it is doubtful Alexander McQueen would be insulted, mostly for the reason he passed away over a year ago....

Kate of course is free to wear whatever color she likes, style she wants, designer she chooses, etc. and it certainly is not negative to speculate on that, and give opinions. Isn't that the point of this forum, to discuss the subjects of the threads, and not to be "negative" and speak down to other posters?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ithWilliam.jpg

There used to be the trend that women would marry in whatever was considered their best/finest dress whatever the color. I find that interesting how wedding dresses have changed over the decades.

That rhyme about the dress colors is familiar to me too. It would make a superstitious person nervous to wear much other than white or blue! Despite that though I would encourage most women to wear whatever color they like, and looks well on them. Of course Kate also has the challenge of the big church wedding where her dress should look well on camera, in person, and not fade into the background of such impressive surroundings (which could be why a lot of royal brides choose an impressive train too as it makes a big impression just by sheer size)
The dress looks like a bad 1980's prom dress. And I think the last thing Kate needs, considering all the other comparisons to Diana especially with the ring, is to have a dress which is inspired by her. She needs to be her own person.

And flowers in the hair? Please tell me you don't mean a wreath like Fergie? Kate is so beautiful and modern, I feel if she wore a dress like the one you posted, and flowers like Fergie, we'd feel like we went back 20 years ago.

Diana was a style icon of her time. But unlike someone like Princes Grace, she was not timeless. Most of her gowns and such were beautiful for the time period, 80's-90's, but are out dated now. There are some beautiful exceptions to the rule.

What ever color, and I don't see her straying from royal tradition of some shade of white, maybe in the under skirts a bit of pink or purple might be found but mainly white, she needs to be her own person. She needs to make a break from being compared to her late soon to be mother in law. No one can compare to Diana, and Kate tries, she will crumble. Let her make her own mark.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
@SPerryPeoplemag UK

waiting for pictures
Can't wait to see these pictures. First I've heard of Kate and any interest of Ballet.

I'm just not looking forward to another comparison to Diana. Here we go again...
Old 03-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Can't wait to see these pictures. First I've heard of Kate and any interest of Ballet.

I'm just not looking forward to another comparison to Diana. Here we go again...
Wow! excited to see these photos as well. Omg so wait is this as in like a public function was this visit by Charles and Camilla a public engagement or was it a personal trip.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Wow! excited to see these photos as well. Omg so wait is this as in like a public function was this visit by Charles and Camilla a public engagement or was it a personal trip.
Now thinking about it I believe it wasn't an "engagement" but rather a private affair. So I guess pictures should be unlikely
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Now thinking about it I believe it wasn't an "engagement" but rather a private affair. So I guess pictures should be unlikely
You never know, we might see one. The lunches were private too, but there is always a photographer around somewhere.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Dang! that sucks maybe we'll get lucky and get some of them departing? There had to be some journalists/photographers there otherwise how would they know where they were. Hoping it's something like the lunch where we got pics of them leaving.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Royal Highness

I wish she would chose something inspired by the Abbey, the surroundings of the first time William will see her in all the pomp of his position. After al these years he has probably seen her in all kind of situations and in all kinds of clothing but she surely never dressed like a real princess to avoid comments. Even her evening dresses were quite conservative. But that is her chance! Go for it, Catherine and wear a dress fit for a future queen in the place where the queens are crowned!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Nobility

Music for the Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton

Today, the fabulous roster of musicians for the wedding was announced!

Two brass fanfare teams, two choirs, the London Chamber Orchestra! It is going to be fabulous!

Musicians for the Wedding Service at Westminster Abbey
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Royal Wedding: Prince Charles' golden girl Claire Jones to play harp | Mail Online

Royal wedding: Kate Middleton's former piano teacher writes song as gift | Mail Online

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding