The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by debby1965

Forget all the stuff about the Ring, Tiara's etc.
I am talking about people and their feelings.
I don't care if they are the Royal Family or paupers .... when you marry someone you marry into BOTH sides of their family.
I class myself as family with both sides of my husbands family just as he does with mine. And I would be very hurt if whoever marries my children does not do the same.
I agree with you in a way- regardless of protocol/job/title her husband is half Spencer so she marrying a Spencer and into that family (if that's how William sees it) .....William's mother's sister will be her aunt in laws so I see what you mean! I married into both sides of my husbands family as well even if we spend more time with the one over the other- so in that way I understand what you mean....

As for the tiara, I do hope she doesn't wear the Spencer one and really doubt she will....

Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
I could see Kate wearing the Spencer tiara as a way to honor Diana's memory throughout the ceremony. It would be a nice gesture.
I doubt very much she will wear anything of Diana's, for her wedding or in the near future.
Yes it would be a nice gesture/homage to Diana, but I think that has been done with the Engagement Ring.
Maybe she will appear in some of Diana's jewels in years to come once she has established herself or maybe not.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree so much with you, MARG! The Age of Diana is past. The Age of Catherine is beginning. I have lots of nice memories of the Diana years, but I don't want those memories brought into the present and forced on our newest princess. The past is the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I emphatically do not want to see a palid immitation of Lady Diana Spencer walking up the aisle, I don't want to say "oh look, she's stlyed her hair like Diana, ohhh look she's wearing Diana's tiara, ohhh her veil as well, wow her gown is a tribute to Diana's, etc. ad nauseum.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Agree we now begin anew
Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Courtier

About the tiaras - The Queen gave The Cambridge Lovers' Knot to Diana as a wedding gift. Upon Diana's death it was returned to the Palace. I wouldn't be surprised if it remains there for another decade or so.

I recall hearing recently (not sure where, now - sorry) that soon after the engagement announcement, Catherine was invited to Buckingham Palace where the Queen had instructed that every tiara, along with other dazzling jewels from the royal vaults, be laid out for Catherine's inspection in one of the ballrooms. This was when Catherine chose the tiara she will wear on her wedding day. The British royals have a substantial collection of priceless heirloom jewels and tiaras, and the general public has only seen a mere fraction of what is in those vaults. There are, apparently, very many pieces of historic provenance that haven't been seen or worn by members of the royal family in decades.

Catherine's wedding gift may not, of course, be the one she wears on her wedding day. I'd be surprised if Catherine chose the Cambridge Lovers Knot as it's so closely associated with Diana (although she may well be Duchess of Cambridge, soon) and because Diana complained about it, saying often that it was too heavy for her and always gave her a shocking headache.

Whatever she chooses, I'm sure that Catherine, a lovely natural beauty, will look absolutely spectacular on her wedding day. As I don't much like most of the tiaras which today's royalty wears (as distinct from the beautiful jewels they contain), I hope that Catherine chooses something dainty and elegant. She's displayed impeccable taste so far.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Fruitcake is awful, i'd prefer a less traditional wedding cake.
I'm finding the comments about fruit cake illuminating. I have never encountered a wedding cake that is not a fruit cake.

No, on reflection, I have. It was a croquembouche, and I thought it was very strange thing to do, but they were a very wealthy and trendy couple and did novel things like that. Perhaps it's noteworthy that they've divorced now, and he went bankrupt. That's what happens when you don't have a traditional wedding cake.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'm finding the comments about fruit cake illuminating. I have never encountered a wedding cake that is not a fruit cake.
Funny... I have never seen a fruitcake... I had to Google it.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel
I don't envy any of the guests who'll have to eat fruitcake! I know it's traditional, but some traditions have had their day. Does anybody really like fruitcake?
I actually love fruitcake. In Canada fruitcake is mostly a Christmas thing, though I've been to weddings where the groomscake have been a fruitcake. Yummy, but you can't have too much of it cuz they are really sweet!!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Royal Highness

With regard to fruitcake, for those who have never tried it, it is a very heavy cake made of dried fruits such as raisins, sultanas, currents, mixed fruit peel and glace cherries with the addition of normal cake ingredients such as flour, butter, sugar and eggs and is flavoured with various spices such as nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon etc and finally rum or whisky or brandy. Before putting marzipan and icing on the top, more booze is sprinkled over. I personally absolutely love it, but it most people I know don't!
William and Kate are obviously going down the traditional route with a fruitcake!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

No, on reflection, I have. It was a croquembouche, and I thought it was very strange thing to do, but they were a very wealthy and trendy couple and did novel things like that. Perhaps it's noteworthy that they've divorced now, and he went bankrupt. That's what happens when you don't have a traditional wedding cake.
I have seen many cakes that aren't fruitcake. The most recent one had three layers, chocolate sponge - vanilla sponge - fruitcake (to satisfy the mum-in-law)
Croquembouche is delicious.

Perhaps they'll go traditional for the wedding breakfast, then non-traditional in the evening.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Has anyone seen this?
Prince William Pictures - Estivalis Georgina Chavez Guzma on a Hunger Strike for Invite to British Royal Wedding - Zimbio

This girl has been on 7 day hunger strike to get an invite to the wedding.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Has anyone seen this?
Prince William Pictures - Estivalis Georgina Chavez Guzma on a Hunger Strike for Invite to British Royal Wedding - Zimbio

This girl has been on 7 day hunger strike to get an invite to the wedding.
Not seen, did read about it. And 'only' because she (or her mother, I am not sure about that part) was a huge fan of his mother.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Now that really is a no-brainer. I think the engagement ring was a lovely gesture but as was said before, this is Catherine's wedding to Prince William not an action replay of 1981!

This is Catherine's "Moment", the one we will all look back on and remember, hopefully with great joy, that this was the first time we saw her in her own right, her own character, her own style. Catherine, Duchess of ?

I don't know about you, but I would love to say . . . "oh I love how she had her hair, the way her tiara sat, the fall of the veil, the elegance of the gown . . . . wow, did we just see a future Queen walk up the aisle"

I emphatically do not want to see a palid immitation of Lady Diana Spencer walking up the aisle, I don't want to say "oh look, she's stlyed her hair like Diana, ohhh look she's wearing Diana's tiara, ohhh her veil as well, wow her gown is a tribute to Diana's, etc. ad nauseum.

And no, she is not marrying into the Spencer family, she is marrying into the BRF! And if Diana were alive I think she would cringe at the pathetic attempts to turn her future daughter-in-law into her clone. She wore her family tiara, Catherine's family do not have one so a gift or loan from her future family is in order and she would be heading the charge for just such a one for her darling Wills.
Marg beautifully written observation on Catherine's wedding day.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I have seen many cakes that aren't fruitcake. The most recent one had three layers, chocolate sponge - vanilla sponge - fruitcake (to satisfy the mum-in-law)
Croquembouche is delicious.

Perhaps they'll go traditional for the wedding breakfast, then non-traditional in the evening.
The article said that the top layer would be fruitcake, and the other layers different types of cake. I guess that is the new trend in wedding cakes.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here in the United States, I have never been to a wedding where the wedding cake was a fruitcake.
That's something you usually have around Christmas, where you'll often get one as a gift (and in my case, promptly pass on to someone else. I had an uncle who was the recipient of all the family fruitcakes; he must have had a year's supply after the holidays!)

But I've seen wedding cakes that were white, chocolate, marble, red velvet, etc.
Never fruitcake!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

I remember reading that wedding cakes (used to) often have 1 layer of fruitcake because if properly kept, it can stay good for a long time, i.e. for your 1st wedding anniversary or for the christening of your first child.

PR
Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

That's very true. And it depends on the alcohol content in the fruitcake which acts as a preserver and how it is stored.

I myself have eaten fruitcake two, three years old and I have to say it's wonderful. I'm not the biggest fan of this type of cake but on occasion it can be quite lovely.

Here in Australia, fruitcake is traditionally used for wedding cakes, but there has been a shift to mud cake and layered sponge for some time now.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

My wedding cake was fruitcake. At that time (don't know about now) this was the traditional wedding cake. I balked a bit, but my mother and I followed the lead of my mother-in-law. It was delicious and, more importantly, all our guests loved it too. Long live fruitcake!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

As a child I would edge the almond icing away from the cake, eat the icing and give the cake to someone who wanted it

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Serene Highness

Kate wearing Queen Mary's 'Cambridge Lovers Knot' tiara
Kate wearing Diana's Cambridge Lovers Knot' tiara - Princess Diana Remembered

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding