The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Administrator

I think Sofia will come. Charles, Diana and the boys used to visit the SRF for summer vacations.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
Sorry to be a spoil sport, but I think there is absolutely no way Catherine will wear a strapless dress. The only strapless dress in the British Royal family was worn by Claire Booth when she married the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester's son. While it was a Vera Wang dress, this wedding was decidedly "un-royal" with almost none of the pomp and formality that we see at British Royal weddings. While strapless dresses might be in style, if we look back at Royal brides we will see that many of them have chosen dresses (with their designers) that led trends, rather than followed them. Both Diana and Sarah's dresses, while linked to the fashion of the times (those horrible 1980s!), influenced wedding dresses for years after.

I think we will see Catherine choose something just like Princess Victoria did this summer- something much less "mass produced" or "trendy", but something wonderful that has been custom-designed to compliment not only her figure and personal style, but also the location and the occasion itself. If it is a full royal occasion at Westminster Abbey, for example, we're likely to see a full train, a tiara and a dress with sleeves. Princess Victoria's dress would not be found on any of the mainstream wedding dress websites prior to her wedding- and that's what made it work so well. I really think Catherine will do the same.
I agree about the strapless dress thing and I hope that she won't wear one. I hate those things, imo they are way too bare and not how a bride is supposed to look on the big day. I think the same of what Claire Booth wore on her wedding day - not pretty at all and why, just why a bouquet of red roses? Doesn't fit at all.
And I don't care that it's a design of this or that designer - Vera Wang herself is tiring of strapless dresses (she said so herself).

I hope Catherine will choose something classic, covering and elegant.

Adding: Claire Booth wasn't the only one wearing strapless. Autumn Philips did as well (although she wore a bolero) and Sophie Winkleman (Freddie Windsor's wife) too and she too wore a bolero (although in my opinion an unfitting one compared to the material of her dress).

Old 11-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

To Shelo:

Your observations are in line with mine. IMO, there are very few wedding gowns designed these days for church weddings. Everything I see are designed for hotel, beach or home weddings where a bride can feel free to wear anything she wants (dislike those beach weddings where the bride is in a bridal dress and the groom in a Hawaiian shirt and bare feet). They are more like ball gowns than wedding gowns.

I think Catherine will keep to her own style with a bit less chest exposure and a lot of subtile, elegant beading and/or embroidery.

I do hope she chooses, rather than white, a candlelight color as it would be very complimentary to her skin tone.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Your observations are in line with mine. IMO, there are very few wedding gowns designed these days for church weddings. Everything I see are designed for hotel, beach or home weddings where a bride can feel free to wear anything she wants (dislike those beach weddings where the bride is in a bridal dress and the groom in a Hawaiian shirt and bare feet). They are more like ball gowns than wedding gowns.

I think Catherine will keep to her own style with a bit less chest exposure and a lot of subtile, elegant beading and/or embroidery.

I do hope she chooses, rather than white, a candlelight color as it would be very complimentary to her skin tone.
I suppose I agree with you on this one. Although today beach brides rarely wear shoes either. Or they wear slippers.
Why is getting married on a beach so popular anyway? I guess I am an old-fashioned romantic who loves to see a church wedding.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think Sofia will come. Charles, Diana and the boys used to visit the SRF for summer vacations.
I just found out this photo
hellomagazine
little, shy Will
Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
I just found out this photo
hellomagazine
little, shy Will
Yes, how adorable. Love the matching clothes Harry and Wills!

So I think like most people who marry, and their parents friends come. We should expect to see Sofia, some of Diana's old friends. Rosa Monckton perhaps. Not a lot just the important ones.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Isn't that King Juan Carlos in the picture with William? Maybe we will see the Spanish royals at the wedding.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Yes it is 4Pam. When the boys were little (and Diana and Charles were still obviously married) they would spend a couple of days with the Spanish on holiday. At least 2 to 3 times, I believe.

And as already mentioned, Charles did attend Felipe's wedding. Did he attend the Infantas...or did they send the Wessex's.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Commoner

Hello all.. Newbie here

For Kate, I love the designs of Caroline Castigliano
'Electra' is one of my fave designs(first dress in the 'indulgent' collection)
I think maybe a little less revealing around the chest and a longer train and it would be perfect for her modern romantic style

I think the Fife tiara or the Girls of Great Britain & Ireland Tiara would be very regal but they are probably unlikely choices
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Isn't the Fife tiara with the present Duchess of Fife? Though if we had a tiara event, she might wear it. The Fife's and the Harewoods were present at Charles and Diana's wedding. Of course that was 30 years ago in a much bigger venue.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not everyone is religious. For example, I'm not. So I won't be getting married in a church, whenever that does occur. You have to design dresses that fit all brides, of all walks of life and backgrounds. Some brides are more modest or would prefer less revealing designs, so you have those. Some brides want outrageous dresses, so you have those. Some brides want dresses that are conservative for religious ceremonies, so you have those.

Getting married at the beach is popular because it's fun and romantic. Not every wedding must be this cold, austere function in a 900 year old church. As an atheist myself, I like the fact that I have literally hundreds of thousands of different options where I can get married.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Yes it is 4Pam. When the boys were little (and Diana and Charles were still obviously married) they would spend a couple of days with the Spanish on holiday. At least 2 to 3 times, I believe.

And as already mentioned, Charles did attend Felipe's wedding. Did he attend the Infantas...or did they send the Wessex's.
He attended Elena's but at Cristina it was Prince Edward as it was only a few weeks after Diana's death.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Not everyone is religious.... Not every wedding must be this cold, austere function in a 900 year old church. As an atheist myself, I like the fact that I have literally hundreds of thousands of different options where I can get married.
Not an option, I'm afraid, for the future head of the Church of England!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The more I think about the potential savings insecurity costs, the mosre I think that the Guards Chapel might be a really serious contender. Given the proximity to BP, the route to secure will be very short, just down Birdcage Walk (as opposed to Whitehall + The Mall), and any public appearance of the groom and bride will be from the balcony.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
Not an option, I'm afraid, for the future head of the Church of England!

We weren't talking about places Catherine or William will marry. We were talking about wedding dresses and how a couple people here think no one makes wedding dresses for church weddings anymore.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Shelo is right - the Church of England is the "official" church in England.

I'm one of about 10,000 or so ministers, and we had to swear the Oath of Allegiance to HM the Queen before Ordination, so one can see how Monarchy and Church are bound up with each other.

I think this will change in the future .....
Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Shelo may be right about that point, but the point had nothing to do with the conversation they replied to.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The more I think about the potential savings insecurity costs, the mosre I think that the Guards Chapel might be a really serious contender. Given the proximity to BP, the route to secure will be very short, just down Birdcage Walk (as opposed to Whitehall + The Mall), and any public appearance of the groom and bride will be from the balcony.
The only other way to reduce security costs would be to use cars instead of carriages and in the event of a security problem a car can zoom off alot quicker than a carriage and horses I would imagine!

The usual route from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey is down the Mall, through Admiralty Arch, past Trafalgar Square and all teh way down Whitehall. A slightly shorter route would be to cut through Horseguards Parade.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Not everyone is religious. For example, I'm not. So I won't be getting married in a church, whenever that does occur. You have to design dresses that fit all brides, of all walks of life and backgrounds. Some brides are more modest or would prefer less revealing designs, so you have those. Some brides want outrageous dresses, so you have those. Some brides want dresses that are conservative for religious ceremonies, so you have those.

Getting married at the beach is popular because it's fun and romantic. Not every wedding must be this cold, austere function in a 900 year old church. As an atheist myself, I like the fact that I have literally hundreds of thousands of different options where I can get married.
Oh, absolutely. Not everyone is religious, I am not either, so I probably won't marry in a church. The only reason why I would do that is when my future fiancé would appreciate that.

I just think that most/too much wedding dresses today display the "let's have a fun day and dress accordingly" thought. I suppose I can see the fun part in a beach wedding but not the romantic part - I guess I'll say I am too serious for that kind of wedding. I find it sloppy.

I prefer a modest wedding dress with at least a bit of sleeve and I didn't mean one MUST marry in a church, I just intend to say that most of today's brides seem to think it's just a fun party. Almost like dressing up. And those dresses usually cost a fortune too, sorry but I can't see it. I am starting to think that most brides wear strapless because it's easy. Then I think: it's your wedding day, make a bit of an effort to look nice. Perhaps it's because I am traditional, I have seen the times where brides wore as much clothing as the groom and sometimes more. That made for a nice view..

I find a wedding a serious event that should be considered as such and it can be made as cheap/expensive as any individual wishes.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Courtier

I hope that Royal Families who have members around the same age as William, will send those members. It would be nice to see the young ones together represent their countries.
For example: Guillaume, Felix and Louis of Luxemburg, Madeleine of Sweden, the Casiraghi's for Monaco, the children of Queen Noor for Jordan.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding