The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Now that we know who will participate in the wedding, shall we speculate on the color scheme?
I think cream with blue (the same Saxon Blue that is the color of the Garter sash) would look wonderful.

(I recall that Diana's bridesmaids were in ivory with touches of antique gold in the sash and slippers, and Sarah Ferguson's were in pale peach).

Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
His Best man speech do you mean? I doubt it.
I may be imagining it but I have a vague recollection of reading that British RF weddings don't really do the usual best man or father of the bride speeches etc. They just don't do any speech at all in the reception, regardless of whether the reception is ever shown to the public or not. No idea where I've read that but got a vague memory of doing so at some point.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Nobility

It seems to me that, having been brought up among 'normal' British people (if a little upper class), William is modifying the slighty foreign aspects of previous British Royal Weddings. He has been attending so many weddings of his friends over the past few years that is quite likely that he feels he wishes to follow the same traditional British pattern. Supporters are unknown in normal weddings here. It may, therefore, be the case that there are traditional Best Man, etc., speeches - but probably not until the family party in the evening.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm sure they have speeches, it's not a wedding if you don't hear some emotional words from family. They might be the BRF but they are still human.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Serene Highness

Find it a bit strange that apart from her sister every other attendant seems to come from William's orbit. Dosn't she have any other family members of her own that she would like to have asked?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Now that we know who will participate in the wedding, shall we speculate on the color scheme?
I think cream with blue (the same Saxon Blue that is the color of the Garter sash) would look wonderful.

(I recall that Diana's bridesmaids were in ivory with touches of antique gold in the sash and slippers, and Sarah Ferguson's were in pale peach).
Yes, they were so cute with their little multi-colored flower headpieces. I just watched the wedding again today. It was lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I may be imagining it but I have a vague recollection of reading that British RF weddings don't really do the usual best man or father of the bride speeches etc. They just don't do any speech at all in the reception, regardless of whether the reception is ever shown to the public or not. No idea where I've read that but got a vague memory of doing so at some point.
When I was married (in England) we had no speeches. We did have a toast (given by the Vicar). Of course, I'm not royal, but my mother-in-law guided my mother and I about how things were done and this is something their family didn't traditionally do. I didn't mind at all!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
kudos for catherine to chose to have her sister as a bridesmaid instead of a future cousin in law. what girl wouldnt want their sister to stand up wit them on the most important day in her life?
Agree with you there !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Overall the selection of bridesmaids and page boys is good, but there are two three year olds, having a three year old cousin I can tell you getting them to cooperate will be tough. When my two cousins where flowergirls at my aunts wedding they were 6 and 7 and one of them cried the whole way up and down the aisle, you can never predict with kids... I like that they included the step niece, shows how accepting William is of Camilla and her family. :)
Maybe William is going to be the peacemaker in the family !!!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Courtier

I think it's great that William chose Harry as his Best Man and Catherine chose Philippa as her Maid of Honour!

I would have been very surprised if it hadn't been like this.

The Page Boys and Bridesmaids sound adorable too, I am very curious to see how it will look like.
This is all new for me - I have never seen a Westminster Abbey wedding live although this is by far not my first royal wedding to see.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:

At Charles' second wedding the Queen made a speech - with reference to the Grand National. That was reported by people as they were leaving the reception in the afternoon.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In her book Sarah says there were none and that she wished they had made a "toast" but Diana's bridesmaids said for Di and Charles' wedding there were speeches/toasts
Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Overall the selection of bridesmaids and page boys is good, but there are two three year olds, having a three year old cousin I can tell you getting them to cooperate will be tough.
I thought about this; three years old seems pretty young to participate in a wedding. I know people do it, but it seems to me that such young bridesmaids/page boys are more likely to steal attention away from the bride. Westminster Abbey has a long aisle for such little children to walk across. Prince William was four when he was in Prince Andrew and Sarah's wedding, though, and was mostly well-behaved (I think he made a few faces!)

Quote:
It is bad enough that they have to share that with the world but at least they can have the reception in private.
Why is it bad to have a public wedding? Royals spend their whole lives in public anyway, that is the nature of the job. That kind of constant publicity isn't something most people would want, but why would it be so unpleasant for William and Kate to share their wedding with the public? It's a celebration!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I thought about this; three years old seems pretty young to participate in a wedding. I know people do it, but it seems to me that such young bridesmaids/page boys are more likely to steal attention away from the bride. Westminster Abbey has a long aisle for such little children to walk across. Prince William was four when he was in Prince Andrew and Sarah's wedding, though, and was mostly well-behaved (I think he made a few faces!)

Why is it bad to have a public wedding? Royals spend their whole lives in public anyway, that is the nature of the job. That kind of constant publicity isn't something most people would want, but why would it be so unpleasant for William and Kate to share their wedding with the public? It's a celebration!
A celebration you share with your family and friends not billions of people all over the world who don't know you and never will.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM

From Sofia's (Sofia's Royalty) Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/SofiasRoyalty

Quote:
Neue Presse Coburg says no member of the Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha family will attend William & Kate's wedding, they're simply not invited

Disappointing that Hereditary Prince Hubertus of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha & wife Kelly are not invited, like they were to Victoria's wedding

Very strange choice/decision to by Prince William, Kate and the rest of the Windsors, if they have indeed not invited their ancestral family

Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Nobility

Bridesmaids etc

I think Louise and Margarita (?) will be adorable. The other girls might be a bit young, but they have both done it before. I'm surprised they didn't have some bridesmaids around the 10 year mark.

As to Kate's family being under represented. She might not have any relatives of the right age. She doesn't have any neices or nephews. Her cousins might be too old. Besides, William and Kate have been together for years. I'm sure she considers his friends her friends. I'm sure she's know all the non relatives for most of their lives if not all.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Nobility

I know that Lady Louise is happy to be apart of the wedding but with saying that I wonder if William and Kate had to beg Sophie and Edward to let her??
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
From Sofia's (Sofia's Royalty) Twitter:

Twitter
Hardly strange to not invite someone to whom you are now only very distantly related. Prince Albert of Saxe Coburg Gotha was after all Williams great great great great grandfather. The Coburgs are more closely related to the Swedish Royal family and have more regular contact with them since the Kings mother was born a Princess of Saxe Coburg
Old 02-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Edward and Sophie don't seem to have a problem with Louise and James being photographed when they're on vacation or in local events such as fairs. Lady Louise has also been at Trooping the Colour and both children have been seen boarding the yacht for the cruise in Scotland for the past couple of years. The children haven't been as exposed to the media as William and Harry or Beatrice and Eugenie, but that's fine because the chances of them becoming working members of the RF isn't very likely. Being a flower girl is different IMO than being seen going to and coming from school as her cousins were. The press is much less intrusive about the Wessex family than they've been about other RF members, and hopefully this will mean that Lady Louise and Viscount Severn will have a more private upbringing and adult life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Felicity M View Post
I know that Lady Louise is happy to be apart of the wedding but with saying that I wonder if William and Kate had to beg Sophie and Edward to let her??
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Nobility

What about Louise's brother James? He's just as cute as her and he would have made a great page boy
Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
A celebration you share with your family and friends not billions of people all over the world who don't know you and never will.
I still think William being who he is does understand the level of interest. I'm sure both he and Kate are flattered. Yes they are very private people but I'm sure he knew when this day came people would want to see every aspect of the wedding not cause they want to intrude but because like me they almost feel part of his family what not seeing him grow up and such.

I have heard there is a possibility of getting some coverage from the reception but no idea to what extent and certainly nothing on the level of Victoria and Daniel. I did like what Princess Margaret did though allowing the camera's into BP to film the arrivals of the wedding breakfast IMO for me that would pretty much be icing on the cake good way to end the day. IMO I won't be totally crushed if we don't hear anything from the reception but judging by recent royal wedding if nothing is shown I think we'll atleast get some details in the paper the next day. Though if she does have a second dress I'll be dying to see it, I am a girl after all my fave part of the day will be seeing the dress!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I still think William being who he is does understand the level of interest. I'm sure both he and Kate are flattered. Yes they are very private people but I'm sure he knew when this day came people would want to see every aspect of the wedding not cause they want to intrude but because like me they almost feel part of his family what not seeing him grow up and such.
Its all part and parcel of the royal family being so representative of Great Britain with all its pomp and circumstance and historical traditions. Its something that the entire nation can celebrate and identify with and take pride in the fact that around the world, billions of others are very much interested in something like this. I don't think there really has ever been such a world wide interest in anything such as there is when there is a royal wedding. It was said that 750 million people watched the wedding of Charles and Diana and the expected audience for William and Kate's is around 3 billion people. Its definitely a time for the BRF to shine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I have heard there is a possibility of getting some coverage from the reception but no idea to what extent and certainly nothing on the level of Victoria and Daniel. I did like what Princess Margaret did though allowing the camera's into BP to film the arrivals of the wedding breakfast IMO for me that would pretty much be icing on the cake good way to end the day. IMO I won't be totally crushed if we don't hear anything from the reception but judging by recent royal wedding if nothing is shown I think we'll atleast get some details in the paper the next day. Though if she does have a second dress I'll be dying to see it, I am a girl after all my fave part of the day will be seeing the dress!
Oh yes.. the dress, Will's uniform, the hairdos, the JEWELS, the flowers!
For the reception that Prince Charles is hosting, I really don't expect too much to become public from that at all. The wedding breakfast is more for the VIPs and guests from different patronages and such. The party later on I think will be strictly family and close friends and will be more of a "let your hair down and have FUN" celebration well away from the public eye.
After such a long, tiring day of protocol and behaving oneself, Will and Kate surely deserve to let go and enjoy a part of their wedding day.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding