Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if Earl Spencer and his fiancee will be invited, after all he is William's uncle..

I am sure they will be invited, as will be Charlie Spencer's children.

I see no reason why Earl Spencer wouldn't be invited? His children as well.

Infact, I'm sure all his maternal aunts, and his uncle along with their respective partners and children will be in attendance at the abbey. They are afterall, family.

I see no reason why Earl Spencer wouldn't be invited? His children as well.

Infact, I'm sure all his maternal aunts, and his uncle along with their respective partners and children will be in attendance at the abbey. They are afterall, family.

Quite right.

Confirmation?
Google Translate

We can confirm that the royal couple have received the invitation, and that they will be present at the wedding 29 April, "said communications manager Marianne Hagen at the Palace of the NTB. King and Queen will be the only one from the Norwegian royal family are invited.

A little less certain...
Google Translate

Harald and Sonja will represent the Norwegian royal family at all three events at the 29th wedding anniversary April

So it seems only the heads of states will be there and no crown princely couples?

So it seems only the heads of states will be there and no crown princely couples?

Whilst the exact position is unclear, I suspect the "royal houses" have been invited - in some cases, the monarch and spouse will attend, in some cases, other family members (including the crown prince couple) could attend.

If what has been translated is accurate in Norway only the Queen and King invited so maybe it's just heads of state (?) or would it be heads of RFs because the other younger couples don't know William really personally and it's more of a sign of respect (admiration?) towards QEII and the BRF- ? That's my gues....

If true...

I admit I'm rather bored by the idea of seeing Europes crowned heads at the wedding. Infact, I see it to be more of a PR 'exercise', though I understand that any invitation from the Court of St James should first and foremost be extended to it's continental affiliations.

However, it clearly suggests that even the heir to the heir apparent (be it in the name of the Queen) can muster Europes ruling elite. Yet again, the House of Windsor reigns supreme in the preferential stakes as their relations and counterparts seem only too eager to attend at the highest level. A courtesy which is selectively extended by the Windsor's.

I'd have much rather seen the heir's apparent and their respective spouses attend in representation of each sovereign.

Last edited:
If what has been translated is accurate in Norway only the Queen and King invited so maybe it's just heads of state (?) or would it be heads of RFs because the other younger couples don't know William really personally and it's more of a sign of respect (admiration?) towards QEII and the BRF- ? That's my gues....

CH announced that they will not be making public the list of invitees at this stage. It is, therefore, difficult to tell with any certainty as to whether it was only the monarchs and their spouses who were invited, or others were invited as well - and therefore, it is difficult to tell with any level of certainty whether the translated article represents the actual position.

I admit I'm rather bored by the idea of seeing Europes crowned heads at the wedding. Infact, I see it to be more of a PR 'exercise', though I understand that any invitation from the Court of St James should first and foremost be extended to it's continental affiliations.

However, it clearly suggests that even the heir to the heir apparent (be it in the name of the Queen) can muster Europes ruling elite. Yet again, the House of Windsor reigns supreme in the preferential stakes as their relations and counterparts seem only too eager to attend at the highest level. A courtesy which is selectively extended by the Windsor's.

I'd have much rather seen the heir's apparent and their respective spouses attend in representation of each sovereign.

I don't particularly want to be drawn into whether attending the royal wedding will be a PR exercise for the other European royals or not. However I think you are right in that invitations from the Court of St James' are not turned down willy-nilly, and despite all the "apparent" snubs from the BRF who tend to only send junior menbers to the weddings of other royal houses, I suspect you will see a lot of senior European royals in London on 29 April.

will be a PR exercise for the other European royals or not.

I meant for the House of Windsor. A sort of 'flexing' of influence which would boast well for coverage, and recollection, dare I say. The British love a good performance and dusting off those European cousins for a good ole show of pomp and ceremony, at the highest level, is just too good to refuse.

If theres one thing the British royal family isn't lacking, it's a sense of self importance (collectively speaking).

Though, I am fond of them...

Last edited:
As for the sleeves Vs. no sleeves........ I could care less as long as the dress is not a snooze fest. I suspect a V neckline, but can only hope for a full skirt with lots of sparklies and a super long train.

As for the sleeves Vs. no sleeves........ I could care less as long as the dress is not a snooze fest. I suspect a V neckline, but can only hope for a full skirt with lots of sparklies and a super long train.

I for one hope she has long lace sleeves...with a full skirt..and a long trian (not 25 ft of course).....hold the sparkiles...lol..

Last edited:
muriel said:
CH announced that they will not be making public the list of invitees at this stage. It is, therefore, difficult to tell with any certainty as to whether it was only the monarchs and their spouses who were invited, or others were invited as well - and therefore, it is difficult to tell with any level of certainty whether the translated article represents the actual position.

I realize CH will not be announcing but it's fair to say if other Royal house are annpucing they are going they probably are.... Maybe someone who speaks Norweign can hopfully verify that the official palace spokesperson did say they were going.... I for one will believe they are since it comes from the palace....

I also hope some CP couples go, if only for the fashion :)

Okay, I'm going back to what Kate will be wearing. I'm voting for a dress with sleeves and also for The Queen Mary Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara. I think that William will want to work his mother in somehow and that is the easiest way, either that or the Spencer Tiara, to work in Diana's family, but I think more than likely the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara.

William doesn't have the right for his wife to wear it. It belongs to the Earl Spencer, his Uncle. The wife or daughters of the Earl are permitted to wear the tiara for their wedding. That is why Diana and both her sisters wore it during their wedding. Catherine is not the Earl Spencer's daughter. I guess William could ask his Uncle for special permission but with all the family tiaras I doubt it. He already gave her his mother's ring. I think he needs to move away from comparisons to his mother. Catherine is her own person, and she will crumble under the weight, if she is constantly forced to be compared to Diana.

I for one hope she has long lace sleeves...with a full skirt..and a long trian (not 25 ft of course).....hold the sparkiles...lol..

I agree. If the sleeves are full length, I hope lace, not the full fabric cream puffs of Diana or Sarah, Sophie's were slightly better. If full fabric, perhaps elbow length. I don't think it needs much if at all sparkle, she will have a tiara and jewels from the family, that is sparkle enough.

If not a full train, one of those beautiful cathedral veils, would look nice. Might make it easier for the reception later, without changing gowns. She could take off the veil, and be easier for dancing and such.The trail going down the aisle, as everyone watches, would be as beautiful as a train.

William doesn't have the right for his wife to wear it. It belongs to the Earl Spencer, his Uncle. The wife or daughters of the Earl are permitted to wear the tiara for their wedding. That is why Diana and both her sisters wore it during their wedding. Catherine is not the Earl Spencer's daughter. I guess William could ask his Uncle for special permission but with all the family tiaras I doubt it. He already gave her his mother's ring. I think he needs to move away from comparisons to his mother. Catherine is her own person, and she will crumble under the weight, if she is constantly forced to be compared to Diana.

I agree, I hope she wears either a new tiara or something we have not seen in a very long time....

The Spencer tiara worn by Diana was quite heavy. I read that Diana's brother said it gave her a headache. I think Kate will wear one of the Windsor tiaras.

Last edited:
Emerald said:
The Spencer tiara worn by Diana was quite heavy. I read that Diana's brother said it gave her a headache. I think Kate will wear one of the Windsor tiaras.

I read it was the Cambridge one that gave her headaches not the Spencer
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/03/tiara-thursday-cambridge-lovers-knot.html

Next up, the best known part of our tale: Queen Elizabeth gave the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara to Diana, Princess of Wales as a wedding present in 1981. Diana famously found the piece to be too heavy and headache-inducing, and often opted to borrow the lighter-weight Spencer tiara from her family instead. It was returned to the Queen after the divorce.

Last edited:
I agree 100% well said!

It's so unlikely but I'm still really hoping for Girls of Great Britain and Ireland. It supposedly light weight and would look oh so wonderful with an updo and her wedding dress (which I'm sure will be impeccable). I heard today they're visiting Australia and then going to NZ to see the earthquake devastation. They both seem to be throwing themselves into their new roles with enthusiasm.

HRHHermione said:
It's so unlikely but I'm still really hoping for Girls of Great Britain and Ireland. It supposedly light weight and would look oh so wonderful with an updo and her wedding dress (which I'm sure will be impeccable). I heard today they're visiting Australia and then going to NZ to see the earthquake devastation. They both seem to be throwing themselves into their new roles with enthusiasm.

Just William is ....

HRHHermione said:
Just William is what?

Ah, nevermind. Kate isn't going on the NZ trip. Sorry- a piece I read described it as part of their pre-wedding tour so I made assumptions

Every time we hear about a new King/Queen attending the wedding it's mentioned that they're good friends of the Queen. So, it seems that for this non-state wedding, Granny simply invited some of her friends. ;) That's fun. With regard to the CP couples, if you invite one couple, you have to invite them all, and that just gets unwieldy. Besides, Kate and William said they wanted a British wedding, and that's what they're having.

Tbh, I'm more excited to see the people from Kate's hometown than any foreign royals. Did the shopkeeper find her special sari? Does the butcher meet the Queen? Good stuff.

If it helps, Charlene said that Monaco may send a "representative" if her and PA can't make it. Maybe they'll send a cousin....

I'd like to see Kate in that tiara as well; but as you say, it's unlikely. It's a tiara that the Queen wears, and so I don't expect to see Kate in it for quite awhile.

It's so unlikely but I'm still really hoping for Girls of Great Britain and Ireland. It supposedly light weight and would look oh so wonderful with an updo and her wedding dress (which I'm sure will be impeccable).

Sorry to rain on your parade but all this no divulging of the wedding dress designer; no publication of those who are going; no anything is snobbery and exclusion of the masses to say the least;this is the let them eat cake mentality; or the false snobbery mentality; it truly is becoming a disambiguation . If they said their cake was going to be vanilla and fifteen tiers or just said anything at all it would be more acceptable than this total and utter censorship. By now the menu of the wedding breakfast should have been published and the trouseeau maker divulged. But we do know the bartender is going of Kate's town is attending and we do know other things which appear to paint Kate a gal of the British soil...hope it does not backfire.. I am getting the impression that Kate is a bit of a snob without being a highbrow.because she has not been in the position long enough to know-she assumes she does and I hope for her sake that iit all works out.

Sorry to rain on your parade but all this no divulging of the wedding dress designer; no publication of those who are going; no anything is snobbery and exclusion of the masses to say the least;this is the let them eat cake mentality; or the false snobbery mentality; it truly is becoming a disambiguation . If they said their cake was going to be vanilla and fifteen tiers or just said anything at all it would be more acceptable than this total and utter censorship. By now the menu of the wedding breakfast should have been published and the trouseeau maker divulged. But we do know the bartender is going of Kate's town is attending and we do know other things which appear to paint Kate a gal of the British soil...hope it does not backfire.. I am getting the impression that Kate is a bit of a snob without being a highbrow.because she has not been in the position long enough to know-she assumes she does and I hope for her sake that iit all works out.

Why should they reveal stuff like the truseau? It was mentioned more than once why the designer of the dress isn't named. Diana's designer was literally stalked for months before the wedding, it actually became dangerous at some point, because they let people know the designer. You know paparazi and normal people alike would go mad trying to catch a glimpse of the design, if we knew the designer.

How is not telling every little detail of the wedding like menu being a snob? It is a private ceremony, they don't owe any explanations. The reason we know about the bar tender is he is a blabber mouth and had to brag about getting an invitation.

Except for the issue of the dress designer, I doubt that Kate has all that much to say about what is "divulged" or not. As to concluding that this all has to do with snobbery on Kate's part ...... well, she has been accused of so many other things, why not that one?

IMO, she has behaved impeccably, but clearly there are those who find much to criticize.

Sorry to rain on your parade but all this no divulging of the wedding dress designer; no publication of those who are going; no anything is snobbery and exclusion of the masses to say the least....

We have such a different definition of snobbery. Instead of offering you dress and cake details, Kate has instead released personal photos, a bio with previously unknown info, and taken the time to meet real people so you can get to know her. So snobby.

For safety and security reasons, as well as privacy reasons, you're simply not going to know all the details you wish to know ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom