The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 AM
Nobility

Canada will host first visit by Prince William and Kate Middleton | The Sun |News

dont know where to post this link. The canadian government invite officially the coupe to tour canada and this article is written by duncan larcombe so I suppose this is pretty right

Old 01-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru
Canada will host first visit by Prince William and Kate Middleton | The Sun |News

dont know where to post this link. The canadian government invite officially the coupe to tour canada and this article is written by duncan larcombe so I suppose this is pretty right
As a Canadian, I'm chuffed to bits!!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post

*dies then quickly picks self up and starts jumping and screaming all around the house*
omg I so hope this is true I will die of happiness if Wills and Kate come to B.C.!I've already warned my parents. My mom groaned cause last time with Camilla we froze to death from the cold and got soaked from the rain luckily it'll be in the summer but this time we could boil to death!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
You are so correct!

I was thinking about the Queen's fascinator that she wore. Now that you mention it...they didn't want hats but the Queen and the Queen Mother (????) couldn't got hatless right?
Actually the Queen wore no hat but a feather in her hair as did Pricness Anne. She also wore a long gown. The Queen Mother however wore a shorter gown and a hat.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent

That's good for Canada, which is such a beautiful country, but I do think that Canada seems to be the primary focus for royal visits because of it's relatively "close" proximity. In my opinion, I don't find that an acceptable reason myself.

The Queen is speculated to be visiting Perth this year for CHOGM, but that's not so much a visit to Australia as Queen of Australia as much as it is a visit as Head of the Commonwealth. It annoys me, I'll gladly confess.

Canada is, afterall, not the only country within the Commonwealth which deserves to be visited regularly by either the monarch, or representation.

The problem is the royals seem eager to show their "concern" during times of crises, a sort of temporary enthusiasm to present a good image, but when recovery is well underway and a sense of 'normality' returns, Australia again seems to fall off the radar unless a presence is necessary.

It doesn't aid the cause of the institution I'm affraid.

Bit of a rant there...haha. Sorry folks

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Madame Royale, pehaps we are viewed as a lost cause. We're a lot further away than Canada and I think it's probably perceived by the RF that we're just biding our time till HM's reign is over then we'll become a republic, so William will never be our king, so why bother making the effort? *hunts for Eureka flag among the smilies, but doesn't find one*
Old 01-31-2011, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Now I'm going to sound like the whiny Canadian but here goes and don't bite me but William was just over there in Australia last year, both the Queen and Prince Charles sent messages of condolences this year and William and Harry both sent messages at that concert(sound relief). IMO Canada is a huge region Diana and Charles made 2 trips to Canada and did not visit the same place's twice while married also despite the fact the Queen did come to parts of Canada last year and 2005(was it?) there are still some regions such as B.C. which have not seen her in years. Plu I'm sure William and Kate will eventually visit. William seems to have genuinely liked Australia so I'm certain he'll bring his new bride to visit and don't forget Diana visited many times during her years. Ok I'm done just had to put my two cents in.

Also considering I've just read they wanted to come to Australia but The Queen's plans for her October visit has sidetracked that prettty much tells you that William will be back and not just because of an unfortunate event but because he wants to and enjoys the people and the country.

ETA: not trying to sound rude, hope it didn`t come off that way. Just trying to show you that some places haven`t seen the Queen in quite a while as well.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Now I'm going to sound like the whiny Canadian but here goes and don't bite me but William was just over there in Australia last year...
With all due respect, for a whole 48 hours. Not quite comparable to a two week stint

I've visited Canada, beautiful place, nice people and it's not Canada I have an issue with.

Quote:
Madame Royale, pehaps we are viewed as a lost cause.
You are probably right, Roslyn.

Quote:
We're a lot further away than Canada and I think it's probably perceived by the RF that we're just biding our time till HM's reign is over then we'll become a republic
Wish I could apply the same mentality, if that is what is felt, to my working life. Selective interest would at times make my job alot easier as well..haha.

Not meaning to compare as such, but I wasn't always going to have the previous job I had, but that didn't mean that I didn't show a consistent interest in what it was I had, and should, be doing. Initiative, even when occasionally dismissed, should not be supressed if it's something worth committing too in the meantime.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Was it only 48 hours....It really felt longer haha ooh well my bad! I know you don`t have an issue with Canada just trying to make you feel better though reading back what I wrote I sound kinda rude which is not the way I wanted to come across. Maybe they`re doing a 2 week trip to cover all areas I dunno but I do hope now that Willaim is getting older and getting married and soon finishing up his RAF duties maybe he`ll take an active interest and visit the commonwealth countries more often....idk just trying to make it better
Old 01-31-2011, 04:32 AM
Majesty

The royals certainly do visit Canada way more often than they come down under. It is closer to them and easier to reach. Sure William will come down here at some time with Kate - whether before or after his grandmother passes and before or after we become a republic - but they will come.

There have been 223 visits to Canada since the British took over the place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._(21st_century)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...20th_centuries)

In comparison there have been 'over 50' to Australia but no where near 200. Royal visits to Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a 4 visits to Canada for every 1 to Australia and that has been the case throughout the history of both countries since the 18th Century.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Can I ask something dumb in terms of hours flying how far is Canada for them compared to Australia. I actually think William and Kate will do the regular rounds of the commonwealth after their married. An article I read a day ago said they were planning to come possibly next year. Anyways if anything perhaps this pattern will change perhaps Australia will begin to be visited more often now that the next generation are old enough to visit. Hey, I`m just trying to look on the bright side of things. Also it`s not always the visit that counts IMO they`ve sent out lots of statements in times of need, which is always a good thing to see from your monarchy. Obviously it`s not the same but still...I don`t think they`re trying to avoid the country or neglect it or anything like that but sometimes it just doesn`t work into the schedule.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Roughly 3,500 miles between London and Toronto, and roughly 10,576 miles between London and Sydney.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow really, I had no idea it was that much of a difference!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:03 AM
Majesty

A major factor is, of course, that they can't simply turn up - they have to be invited by the government/s to visit so the Canadia government sends a lot more invitations presumably.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince to make three-day Australia visit

"Prince William's visit to Australia has come about at his own request, to enable him to begin to get to know the country and the Australian people," Lowther-Pinkerton said in a statement released on Tuesday.

Governmental involvement is essential, but I don't think it's the only factor which enables them to visit. Clearly if interest is expressed, and their initiative acknowledged then a visit can evidently be facilitated. As was the case with William.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 AM
Majesty

However, if the government hadn't gone along with his request he couldn't have come. He couldn't unilaterally announce he was making a tour. If any of them wish to make a tour here they get their people to contact the Australian government who then issues an invitation. This is what happened with William - he expressed a desire to come so the powers that be approached the government who issued the invitation. The government could invite someone with them expressing an interest first as well.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
However, if the government hadn't gone along with his request he couldn't have come.
That goes without saying.

And yes, the government must extend an invitation, but the point I was making was the initiative on the part of royals first and foremost.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Yes. You said that she 'must meet his parents Camilla and Charles'. Camilla is NOT William and Harry's mother, regardless of wishfull thinking.
His mother is DEAD!
His father is married to Camilla which makes her his Step Mother.
Your dislike of Camilla does not change that.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Serene Highness

Anarchists plotting to cause chaos at the Royal Wedding with smoke bombs and roadblocks

Read more: Royal Wedding: Network X group plotting chaos with smoke bombs and roadblocks | Mail Online
Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Lets get back on topic...the wedding musings and suggestions of William and Catherine.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding