The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
For those people who say Issa is a Brazilian designer, and then say they would have liked Catherine Walker, Catherine Walker was actually French.
Just to clarify- my comment above that "if the dress is made by a Brazilian designer who lives and works in London it would be considered "British designed", yes?" was trying to gently remove distinction between British-born designers and designers who now work in Britain. I think that any designer who has set up shop in Britain can be considered a "British Designer" in the context of this discussion, where there seems to be widespread agreement that Kate's dress should be made by a "British Designer".

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Aristocracy

Certainly Diana Spencer had input on her wedding. She chose the wedding dress designer, which meant that she also chose the designer of the attendants' dresses, and she chose some of the music and the flowers. One of her child attendants was Clementine Hambro, a great-granddaughter of Winston Churchill, who had been a student during the brief period when Lady Diana was a part-time nursery school aide at Young England Kindergarten.

I do not want to insult Diana fans, but the fact is that Diana was very involved, not to say manipulative, in every aspect of her life. What she wanted went, because she knew how to make a great fuss if she didn't get what she wanted. Alas, at the age of only 19/20, she wasn't quite mature enough to grasp how the awful and childish "princess bride" dress would come off, or how badly the heavy tiara would work with her hairstyle.

I do hope that Catherine Middleton will cut her hair a bit shorter. That long, chest-length hair isn't sophisticated and doesn't really work on a woman over 25. A few inches off -- to shoulder-length -- would work wonders, while still allowing her plenty of room for experimentation.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I find her hair quite beautiful myself. Lovely length and rather advantageous for the prospect of tiara wearing.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I loved Sarah's wedding dress. I think it was by far the nicest wedding dress of any of the royal brides within my life time (followed by Anne's and then Sophies - as for Diana's well the less said about that the better IMO).
Of all of those, in my opinion,Sophie's dress was the best!!!!! I really, really hated Di's dress. It was too much for my personal taste. Too big. Over the top.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana's was insanely fussy, Sarah's was plain ugly and Sophie's was very much understated. None of them were what I would call pretty or elegant. But it's all relative to the time. The 80's could never be considered an elegant decade and the late 90's were a kind of 'no mans land' for fashion being on the cusp of change.

Imo, Princess Marie of Denmark's wedding dress is by far the most elegant I've ever seen a royal bride wear.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Gentry

I loved Diana, but I also hated her dress. It was hideous.

I foresee Kate wearing a wedding dress similar to these photo's:

wedding dress,wedding dresses,informal wedding dress,wedding gown

V Neck Wedding Dressses
Second picture

Sheath V-Neck Dropped Waist Tank Wedding Dresses - Style WD0205

http://www.milanoo.com/upen/v/200911...ss-18733-1.jpg

http://www.prlog.org/10775122-vintag...ng-dresses.jpg

Column Wedding Dresses - Chiffon Rouched Bodice with Beaded Halter in Column Skirt and Open Back Designs 2010 New Summer Wedding Dress WD-0271

I dislike pretty much all of these dresses, but I feel they might be close to her style. Modern, unexciting etc.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Diana's was insanely fussy
not to mention unfortunately crumpled

Quote:
As they have already said the wedding will be in London St George's is out as it isn't in London but is at Windsor.
whoops; i meant to say Chapel Royal! I live in NZ; my confusion will surely be understandable.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

The fabric didn't hold well at all. I've never undertsood why the Emmanual's suggested, let alone used, taffeta. It ended up looking like a wilted rose.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Courtier

Dateline tonight: William and Kate: A Royal Love Story | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

US TV station aired a date line special called "William and Kate A Royal Love Story"
it was good, mostlikely nothing any of us had not seen before but a nice round up of the last 8 years.

On a side note Katie Nicholas dress looked familiar...rather oddly familier if you ask me...
Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaristocratx View Post
Yeah, I can see Kate in any of those! esp. the last one! But what about Tomasz Starzewski? He is Polish-British, London-based.
STARZEWSKI
He has a bridal collection.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Serene Highness

Why do some of the British royals who marry wear this very long cathedral veil that requires 3 or 4 attendants to handle it? Is this a tradition? Prince Diana and Sarah Ferguson had this long veil. I can't recall if Sophia had this or not. I know this is sort of off topic but it would be interesting if Kate would wear this type of traditional catherdral veil.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Courtier

I don't care for any of those dresses. They look dresses worn at the Oscars rather than a Royal wedding. I see Kate in something very elegant and classy befitting the occasion and the tradition she is marrying into. She seems to enjoy conservative classic styles, so I can't see her in anything extremely couture or low cut.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Why do some of the British royals who marry wear this very long cathedral veil that requires 3 or 4 attendants to handle it? Is this a tradition? Prince Diana and Sarah Ferguson had this long veil. I can't recall if Sophia had this or not. I know this is sort of off topic but it would be interesting if Kate would wear this type of traditional catherdral veil.

There's different lengths to veils. Usually with the cathedral-length veil, the dress will have a long train, because the veil and the train together looks well not only in motion, but in photographs. Also, it's very dramatic. It's a royal bride's prerogative to be very dramatic.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Administrator

I can see her in something along the lines of Claire of Belgium or Cristina of Spain.

They were somewhat off the shoulder (in lace and silk) that were classic and timeless.

You shouldn't be able to look at a wedding picture and based on the dress of the bride....date the wedding. That is just my opinion but that's how I think.

I loved Diana's dress (it was a mess) but it was very 80's. I thought the hair and the tiara were perfect! Sarah and Sophie looked nice as well. Diana's dress is famous because who she was...almost a billion people watched that wedding or a couple of hundred million. But only Sophie's dress is timeless.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I can't see Kate marrying in a dress that's too modern and I personally would love to see something classic and romantic. I have a feeling that she will choose a regal looking and yet simple dress, perhaps similar to CP Mary's dress.

I'm not the biggest lace fan around, but I think those dresses look quite nice? In the last picture I like the idea of a lace bolero.

http://www.goodweddingdresses.com/bl...ing_dress1.jpg
http://fashionbride.files.wordpress....02/nereida.jpg
http://www.manufacturer.com/cimages/...ding_dress.jpg
Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Administrator

The 2nd reminds me of Claire of Belgium and the last one Autumn Phillips. Great choices either way IMO.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
I can't see Kate marrying in a dress that's too modern and I personally would love to see something classic and romantic. I have a feeling that she will choose a regal looking and yet simple dress, perhaps similar to CP Mary's dress.

I'm not the biggest lace fan around, but I think those dresses look quite nice? In the last picture I like the idea of a lace bolero.

Ooooooh yes! Now those are the style I can see Kate wearing. Definitely in line with her classic taste.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 AM

why can some people be soo lucky while others aren't? life's an irony..
Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post

Definitely not the first one. I have a Simplicity dress pattern that is almost exactly like that which I made a dress out of for my older niece nearly two years ago. And I had to go buy the pattern online because it was out-of-print already, so the concept is at least 5 years old by now. It's a beautiful dress but a few years dated.

Love the second one but it reminds me of a current Vogue pattern that is already a good 3-4 years old also.

I did really like the Phillipa Lepley collection. I could see something in a similar vein to those dresses.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think these dresses would be beautiful on Kate. It's by Elie Saab and it's the Caelum dress (#11) or Nerta (#18)

Elie by Elie Saab 2011 2011 Bridal Collection: wedding gowns and accessories - Pronovias

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding