The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Sounds like she'll keep to the tradition of having child attendants.
I thought maybe she'd have all adults, as we do in the USA.
The child bridesmaids came in with Queen Victoria, and I was hoping she'd get away from that.

(Though I know lots of people think they are just adorable, I never liked having children at a wedding).
Can you tell why? Just curious

Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Not to speak for Mirabel but perhaps she is like Princess Anne, who was in MANY a wedding as a youngster, who is famous for saying something along the lines of "dealing with yards of uncontrollable children." And that is why she (Anne) only had two attendants (Edward and Sarah).

And then I think of myself (in my last wedding as a flower girl) who refused to go down the aisle!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I suppose it's because I am mostly used to evening weddings, and I think the children get bored and cranky and start acting out.
Then too, someone must be deputized to look after them- and there aren't many volunteers! Seriously, even the parents don't seem keen!

I know of many brides who have felt it necessary to put "No Children Please!" on the invitations (yes, some parents often assume their children are included).

As for attendants, in the USA it's customary to have adults with the exception of (optional) a flower-girl and/or ringbearer.
But many people don't even go along with that.

It's not my intention to offend anyone who loves the idea of children at a wedding; tastes differ, and there is no right or wrong about it, I am just explaining my personal preference.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Due to bad weather, I worked from home today and watched a bit of the Rachael Ray Show. One of the guests was David Tutera, host of "My Fair Wedding" on WE tv and apparently they treated him like an expert on the royal wedding. He predicts that Catherine will be "showing more skin" and wear a strapless gown ("a first")!
Rachael Ray Show - On the Show - David Tutera's Royal Wedding Predictions
I just kept rolling my eyes.
He really thinks she's going to go strapless?!

And, what about the "second dress" which looks like another bridal gown? Did Diana do a "second dress"? Will we even know if Kate does?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymphna View Post

And, what about the "second dress" which looks like another bridal gown? Did Diana do a "second dress"? Will we even know if Kate does?

I can't imagine she'd go strapless, why?
I don't think strapless gowns are inappropriate (although the Queen may).
BUT- they have been done to death!
It's at the point where anyone in a strapless gown looks like she's wearing a uniform.

I truly think this is one trend that has been played out for a long time, and it's time to get away from it.

Speaking of uniforms- I hope William decides to wear his Household Cavalry uniform, instead of his RAF dress blues.
I just like it better!
Though I expect him to wear the RAF uniform.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I can't imagine she'd go strapless, why?
I don't think strapless gowns are inappropriate (although the Queen may).
BUT- they have been done to death!
It's at the point where anyone in a strapless gown looks like she's wearing a uniform.

I truly think this is one trend that has been played out for a long time, and it's time to get away from it.

Speaking of uniforms- I hope William decides to wear his Household Cavalry uniform, instead of his RAF dress blues.
I just like it better!
I agree completely agree with you both on the strapless dress as well William's uniform.
I don't think that Kate herself favours strapless dresses. I have seen various pictures of her in evening dresses, but I've never seen her wearing something strapless. It doesn't seem to be her prefered style, so why would she want to have one for the wedding?
The RAF uniform looks boring and and not at all glamorous to me. But he's currently serving in the RAF, so I'm preparing myself for this one.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymphna View Post

He doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. This is a Royal wedding being held in Westminster Abby, not a tacky over the top wedding being held at the local Country Clubor hotel. He even says she will be Princess Catherine after she is married. The entire segment is a joke.

Strapless is not appropriate for Westminster Abby and particularly a Royal wedding. I don't see Kate opting for that style even if it was. It's just not her style.

I agree the strapless style is getting really old and there are very few brides that can wear the style without looking like a squeezed sausage. There is nothing attractive about bulging flesh over the top of a tight dress. Not that Kate would have this issue since she is so thin.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
He doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. This is a Royal wedding being held in Westminster Abby, not a tacky over the top wedding being held at the local Country Clubor hotel. He even says she will be Princess Catherine after she is married. The entire segment is a joke.
Okay, we are talking about a segment of Rachael Ray's show. Doesn't the joke begin with the fact that Rachael Ray has her own daytime TV show?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
Okay, we are talking about a segment of Rachael Ray's show. Doesn't the joke begin with the fact that Rachael Ray has her own daytime TV show?
Unfortunately that show is in its 3rd (4th?) season. I know I was the one that posted the link, but I actually stopped watching that segment when they came out w/ those strapless gowns. That was just ignorant. Everything about that segment screamed typical trendy American wedding. If he really hopes she wears lots of "bling" where is the tiara? I know they don't have access to a real tiara, they could of gotten a cheap knock-off as a place holder. Also ignorant, the concept of Catherine wearing a second dress. The dress Catherine will wear is not some off-the-rack copy or anything you can buy at even an upscale bridal shop. It will be one-of-a-kind custom-designed haute couture gown. You're going to wear that special creation for more than just the ceremony and it's not cost effective to pay for two such gowns.

But given that the BBC America blog totally butchered Catherine's future title and why Camilla is called Duchess of Cornwall vs. Princess of Wales, how accurate did we really expect the RR show to be.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Should the royals have real jobs?

Should the royals have real jobs?

Prince Philip at Wembley in 1948 - the year he almost became a coal miner

To work in the real world or not - it's a question that has troubled members of the British Royal Family for decades. In the week it was reported that Kate Middleton has quit her job at her parents' party supplies company, BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt examines the pros and cons of royals keeping their careers.
To its originator, the idea may have appeared inspired. Once it was exposed to the cold light of day, it withered on the vine of royal non-starters. Back in 1948, someone suggested Prince Philip should spend a month working as a coal miner. The tentative plan was rejected as a "stunt" which would "play to the gallery".
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Also ignorant, the concept of Catherine wearing a second dress. The dress Catherine will wear is not some off-the-rack copy or anything you can buy at even an upscale bridal shop. It will be one-of-a-kind custom-designed haute couture gown. You're going to wear that special creation for more than just the ceremony and it's not cost effective to pay for two such gowns.
I think this brings up a legitimate question, though. (Rachael Ray show aside) Does anybody think that Catherine will have a different dress for the evening festivities? I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility at all. After the wedding & reception, I can see her retiring for a late afternoon freshen-up and then reappearing for the dinner/dance in a different dress and perhaps different hairstyle, too. (That's me hoping for an updo for the wedding and possibly hair down for the evening as she seems to prefer it.) Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Commoner

the dress

Read or heard somewhere that some British toff would like Kate to choose an up and coming British designer for her dress to help launch their career instead of someone like Bruce Oldfield. Now this really makes me mad leave her alone to choose for herself afterall it's going to be one of the last things she can choose for herself without having been advised. Besides she seems to have good dress sense so she'll look lovely.
As for up and coming designers P.Diana chose Elizabeth and David Emanuel and to be honest that dress was too frilly, crinkly and over the top.
I have to agree about the comments about strapless it is done to death and some fuller brides do indeed look like a stuffed sausage bulging over.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl
Does anybody think that Catherine will have a different dress for the evening festivities?
I hope she does, but I doubt we'll see it.

This is a wedding; if Catherine would like 2 dresses she can have them. All the weddings I've been to the bride has had a dress for the service and one for the after do; they haven't been haute couture ones but that didn't matter.
Just because Kates getting a one off wedding dress doesn't mean she wants to dance in it all night, something simple and light to dance in all night seems plausible for any bride.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I just like it better!
Yes, the Household Cavalry uniform is more dashing and formal-looking, being so dark, but you're right in that he will probably go with RAF. Morning suit would be the most surprising, but I really liked Prince Edward in his along with Charles & Andrew as supporters. They all got to wear different colored "accessories" (vest, tie) which made the wedding a bit more colorful, IMO.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Yes, the Household Cavalry uniform is more dashing and formal-looking, being so dark, but you're right in that he will probably go with RAF. Morning suit would be the most surprising, but I really liked Prince Edward in his along with Charles & Andrew as supporters. They all got to wear different colored "accessories" (vest, tie) which made the wedding a bit more colorful, IMO.
But with morning suit he would not wear his Order of the Garter so i expect one of the Uniforms.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Morning suit would not be "official" enough for me, lol. William is 2nd in line to the throne so I expect stately attire from him. And that stately attire will most likely be his RAF uniform, although I agree that the Household Cavalry uniform looks the best.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Lifetime is producing a tv movie about Kate and William that will air the week before the wedding.

I imagine that Kate will have a different dress for the nighttime festivities. I hope we get a glimpse, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Courtier

True, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat lover View Post
...P.Diana chose Elizabeth and David Emanuel and to be honest that dress was too frilly, crinkly and over the top.
I have to agree about the comments about strapless it is done to death and some fuller brides do indeed look like a stuffed sausage bulging over.
...Diana's dress was unforgettable. I can barely remember my own dress, much less those of any of the other brides I've seen. But Diana's dress, regardless of its whipped cream on top of frozen custard style, will never be forgotten!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
...Diana's dress was unforgettable. I can barely remember my own dress, much less those of any of the other brides I've seen. But Diana's dress, regardless of its whipped cream on top of frozen custard style, will never be forgotten!

A lot of people find Diana's wedding dress awful in hindsight. I don't.
Of course one most likely wouldn't wear a dress like that today, but then I always say 'one must not try to place the past in the present. Then was then and now is now'.

That wedding was a fairytale, romantic, young and sort of naive/full of expectations and Diana's appearance totally fit the bill - imo.

I am very curious to see what Catherine will be wearing, along with William.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Aristocracy

Rachel Ray's guest didn't do his homework and the ideas put forth are just plain silly. Ohhh well. The thought of the Life Time courtship film is scary. Hope they amaze us.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding