The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Catherine Middleton - The Royal Wedding, 29 April 2011

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I'm betting that the media will continue to use Princess Catherine (or Kate) no matter how often they are corrected!

That's what they did with Diana and they probably won't care if someone informs them that they got the title wrong. JMO.
I don't think it's inevitable. They didn't with Sarah and they don't with Sophie, they were/are pretty much always referred to correctly as Duchess of York and Countess of Wessex.

The difference with Diana was that her title did include the word Princess, so calling her 'Princess Diana' was a natural step, albeit incorrect.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Mystiblue's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 149
Whatever the title, to me she will always be Kate Middleton !
__________________

__________________
"Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all."
~Emily Dickinson
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,726
Doesn't that seem disrespectful, though? It sounds no different than the people who always refer to the Duchess of Cornwall as Camilla Parker-Bowles.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM
abcdxyz's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
You're right of course, but I'm betting that the media will continue to use Princess Catherine (or Kate) no matter how often they are corrected!

That's what they did with Diana and they probably won't care if someone informs them that they got the title wrong. JMO.
The editors of this photo journal, which is fantastic, btw, have it all wrong. They keep referring to the couple as "Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge." Perhaps they were confused by "the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall."

Royal Wedding Ceremony (photos) | OregonLive.com
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Binghamton, United States
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Charles can't create her Princess Catherine of Wales because the "of Wales" denotes the son/daughter of the PoW, and when Charles is King, he will no longer be The Prince of Wales.

SM I am wondering if Charles when he becomes King or even QE2 can give Catherine a title like:

HRH Catherine, Princess of Wales or HRH Catherine Cambridge Princess of Cambridge... or HRH Catherine, Princess Mountbatten Windsor.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
SM I am wondering if Charles when he becomes King or even QE2 can give Catherine a title like:

HRH Catherine, Princess of Wales or HRH Catherine Cambridge Princess of Cambridge... or HRH Catherine, Princess Mountbatten Windsor.

None of those titles make any sense. "Catherine, Princess of Wales" is what her title would be if she divorced William sometime after his creation as Prince of Wales. She would lose the HRH automatically. "Catherine Cambridge, Princess of Cambridge" doesn't even exist. She is not a Princess of Cambridge, she's The Duchess of Cambridge, which is a big difference. There is no such thing as a "Princess of Cambridge" anyway, and her surname is not Cambridge; she no longer has a surname. There is no such thing as "Princess Mountbatten-Windsor" either, as Mountbatten-Windsor is not a place, but rather the surname used by the Queen's descendants who don't have a princely status.

Also, "First name, Title" is the style that divorced women use. Why would Catherine use the style of a divorced woman if she isn't one?
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Binghamton, United States
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
None of those titles make any sense. "Catherine, Princess of Wales" is what her title would be if she divorced William sometime after his creation as Prince of Wales. She would lose the HRH automatically. "Catherine Cambridge, Princess of Cambridge" doesn't even exist. She is not a Princess of Cambridge, she's The Duchess of Cambridge, which is a big difference. There is no such thing as a "Princess of Cambridge" anyway, and her surname is not Cambridge; she no longer has a surname. There is no such thing as "Princess Mountbatten-Windsor" either, as Mountbatten-Windsor is not a place, but rather the surname used by the Queen's descendants who don't have a princely status.

Also, "First name, Title" is the style that divorced women use. Why would Catherine use the style of a divorced woman if she isn't one?

Thanks for the explanation...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,292
We say for all bride's gowns :
Something new : Her earrings
Something old : Diana's ring
Something blu : Diana's ring
Someting borrowed The tiara

Is that correct for Catherin's dress????
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,358
NOPE
The earrings were knew
The tiara was borrowed
The blue was apparently something we couldn't see, and I don't know what the old was.
As for what to call her, I'm calling her Princess Catherine because a) she's married to a prince b) Diana was called Princess Diana so Kate can get the same treatment.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
We say for all bride's gowns :
Something new : Her earrings
Something old : Diana's ring
Something blu : Diana's ring
Someting borrowed The tiara

Is that correct for Catherin's dress????
Almost.....earrings new, something borrowed was the tiara, blue she had a blue ribbon tied into the skirt of her dress and old she had some lace designed into her dress that was old.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,009
Did Kate have a sixpence in her shoe?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
NOPE
The earrings were knew
The tiara was borrowed
The blue was apparently something we couldn't see, and I don't know what the old was.
As for what to call her, I'm calling her Princess Catherine because a) she's married to a prince b) Diana was called Princess Diana so Kate can get the same treatment.
That was all wrong and will always be wrong. Diana was not Princess Diana - she was Diana, Princess of Wales. Diana was not born a Princess, therefore had no Princess title of her own.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
That was all wrong and will always be wrong. Diana was not Princess Diana - she was Diana, Princess of Wales. Diana was not born a Princess, therefore had no Princess title of her own.
Yeppers and to add to this... if one called Diana "Princess Diana" to her face either before or after her divorce, she would have corrected them too!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,269
The blue was a tiny blue bow sewn onto the dress somewhere. I'm thinking of the waist for some reason.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,500
I will always refer to her as Kate - as in "Wills and Kate".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,358
Couldn't her "something blue" have been her wedding ring?
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Grandduchess24's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cambridge, United States
Posts: 1,318
April 29,2011
The Royal Wedding
Westminster Abbey
William & Kate

Something new - the wedding dress
Something borrowed - the halo tiara
Something blue - the engagement ring

I watched it live from the US and it was beautiful and she looked radiant on her wedding day:)
__________________

__________________
" An ugly baby is a very nasty object, and the prettiest is frightful when undressed."
- Queen Victoria
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland pregnancy president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]