Wedding of William & Catherine: Royal Wedding Miscellania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Kate look like the girl who played Blossom on tv? Wow that is a freaky pic!

Too freaky for my taste..... What's the point of the "swap" ??

Just a bit of fun - what time do you think Kate will be awake on Friday morning to start dressing and preparing for the wedding - I would think some time not much 5 would be a good bet

Just a bit of fun - what time do you think Kate will be awake on Friday morning to start dressing and preparing for the wedding - I would think some time not much 5 would be a good bet

All I know is that for me it would be awfully hard to really sleep with such a big day ahead of me. I'd not be too surprised if Kate and Pippa have an all night gab session the night before with maybe catching a few power naps here and there.

spratsmum said:

Every bride I've known got a maximum of 2 hours sleep before their wedding. I don't think she'll sleep much but she will probably will start with hair and makeup around 7:00 I think.

I just wish commentators would learn how to pronounce "Mall." It rhymes with "Sal" and "pal", people, not "Paul" or "hall"!

I just wish commentators would learn how to pronounce "Mall." It rhymes with "Sal" and "pal", people, not "Paul" or "hall"!

Ever since Mr. Remote watched some of the commentary on CNN with Anderson Cooper and he was taught that to properly address HM, after "Your Majesty"its then Ma'am as in "mom" and not as in "ham", he's been saying "yes mom" to me all week. For some reason I'd always believed it to me as in "ham" here myself.

I think by the time the wedding actually gets here, I just may have company in the wee hours watching this wedding! :D

Well, then both "The Queen" and "The King's Speech" got it wrong, because in both of them people are instructed that "It's 'ma'am' as in 'ham', not 'mahm' as in 'calm'." And that's how I learned it. It's special pronunciation only for HM, as regular ladies are indeed addressed as 'mahm'. Or 'moddom'. :D

Good job :lol:

And here somebody wanted to know how they might look in about 30 years ;)
Google Übersetzer

Ok.. ok... now I KNOW I'm old enough to know better yet young enough to care. Without explanation, this actually took me a few hours to figure out what was done. Sheeeesh... now I KNOW I'm losing it. :bang:

There are so many knock-offs of the ring out there. Has anybody found a really good one? By that I mean most of them don't look quite right. The proportions are off, or the size of the sapphire and number of diamonds is different. I had a copycat ring that the Franklin Mint put out when Princess Diana died (along with the seven-row pearl & sapphire chocker) but they were stolen a few years ago.

I would not count on this as a reliable source but I wouldn't say it could not be possible:

Kate Middleton dreams she is naked before wedding congregation | The Sun |News|Royal Wedding

I think that must be a very common dream brides have before the wedding, along with the dreams about something being wrong with the dress or the wedding in general. I admit I myself often have similar "whoops, lost all my clothes" dreams when I'm nervous before something important. The difference between Kate's alleged dreams and mine is that people stare at her on hers and no-one seems to notice I'm naked in mine. :lol: Hmm... :ermm:

Well, then both "The Queen" and "The King's Speech" got it wrong, because in both of them people are instructed that "It's 'ma'am' as in 'ham', not 'mahm' as in 'calm'." And that's how I learned it. It's special pronunciation only for HM, as regular ladies are indeed addressed as 'mahm'. Or 'moddom'. :D

Yes, the correct pronunciation is like ham with a long "a" because of the English pronunciation of the word "madam" from which ma'am derives. It's simply saying "madam" without the "d" and so there is no need to change the vowel sound. In fact, I'm quite sure that when Americans say something like "sure thing ma'am" they say the word quite correctly.

Yes, the correct pronunciation is like ham with a long "a" because of the English pronunciation of the word "madam" from which ma'am derives. It's simply saying "madam" without the "d" and so there is no need to change the vowel sound. In fact, I'm quite sure that when Americans say something like "sure thing ma'am" they say the word quite correctly.

Well, the problem with English is that you write the words like they were pronounced 600 years ago but you do not pronounce them like that anymore. In other words, the pronunciation has changed but the rules how to write the words have not been updated. This means the word 'madam' would be correctly pronounced something like 'mudum'. The word is derived from the French word 'madame'.

prince william nickname ???

when he was at UNIVERSITY what was his nickname

I would assume Wills, which is the same nickname he's had since he was a child. I doubt they were calling him "Wombat", which is what his mother called him when he was a toddler.

There are so many knock-offs of the ring out there. Has anybody found a really good one? By that I mean most of them don't look quite right. The proportions are off, or the size of the sapphire and number of diamonds is different. I had a copycat ring that the Franklin Mint put out when Princess Diana died (along with the seven-row pearl & sapphire chocker) but they were stolen a few years ago.

I'm certainly no expert in Royal Jewels but I got my knock-off from QVC and I think it is a nice replica. Although it states its only 8.80 carats, its really big. Here's the link: QVC Knock-Off Ring

Who is going to the royal wedding? (abbey, carriage route)

hello everyone!

is anyone going to go and be in the crowds the big day (near the abbey or along the carriage route)?
i'm thinking about going although unsure about where to go exactly as it will be crowded everywhere but it may be worthwhile! where do you recommend placing ourselves? anyone with experience in royal wedding crowd cheering? :flowers:
i thought the carriage route would be the easiest... but again with the rain i'm not sure if it would be great and maybe it's best to stay at home and watch it online. what do you think?

I'm so excited! I just learned John Rutter, my favorite composer had been chosen to write choral piece for the wedding and I know it will be spectacular! And the newlyweds will exit the Abbey to my most favorite composition "Crown Imperial" by Walton! My band has that in our library!

I find "Crown Imperial" to be a strange choice for the recessional. To me, it doesn't have enough "oomph."

KittyAtlanta said:
I find "Crown Imperial" to be a strange choice for the recessional. To me, it doesn't have enough "oomph."

Perhaps, but I've loved when I first heard it and it puts me in mind of royalty whenever I hear it. "Procession of the Nobles" would be good. Both express pagentry and pomp, which might be what they're going for. Anyway, I'm tickled pink! LOL

If this is not the right place for this please feel free to move it-I know my mum and I must be crazy, but we plan on staying up all night tonight to catch the wedding live on the West Coast. We are going to record it in case we fall asleep, but I really hope we don't, because I really want to be awake at the moment the world sees Kate in her dress for the first time! The anticipation is killing me...!

If this is not the right place for this please feel free to move it-I know my mum and I must be crazy, but we plan on staying up all night tonight to catch the wedding live on the West Coast. We are going to record it in case we fall asleep, but I really hope we don't, because I really want to be awake at the moment the world sees Kate in her dress for the first time! The anticipation is killing me...!

Hi roseroyal! I'm going to an English pub down here where a full English breakfast is being served starting at 4:00 am. So if you are crazy, I'm right there with you!

I am reading that the Royal Program states that one of the hymns will be one used at Diana's funeral. Is that right and where do I find the Royal Program?

I'll go check the Royal Circular site, but if anyone knows the actual link to the program, would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom