Wedding of William & Catherine: Royal Fashions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you:flowers:
Love the hat and the details on the dress.

i wonder the fashion trend of the royals will bring the fashion for us upcoming!
can u imagine if all of us start wearing hats?

I use to wear hats a lot when I was younger but I'm going to start wearing them again. The problem is I don't think I've ever seem a millinery over here.

I had to laugh when I recalled Vivenne Westwood's comment about Catherine not wearing her clothes ... something about fashion "maturity". Well ....... everytime I have seen her designs I get sick. First Helena Bonham Carter at the film awards and now Eugenie. IF that is fashion maturity I think I'd prefer to remain in my adolescence. VW's designs, IMO, are ghastly. Simply wearing a famous fashion designer does NOT a fashion icon make. One wonders if these people EVER look in the mirror. The same goes for Philip Treacy hats, some may be lovely but some are just plain weird, maybe OK for Ascot but not a wedding.

Along with that awful hat Beatrice has on too much black eyeliner she just looks terrible. I get that she is young and experimenting with fashion but come on you have to look in the mirror at some point.

Pippa reminds me of Emma Pernald.

I absolutely agree. To bad, Carl Philip wasn't there, huh? :whistling:;)

OK, it's late already but I do have to make a comment on some of the ladys:

HM: Just beautiful. Nice color and just her kind of hat. Wonderful gesture with Queen Mums brooch

Camilla: Nice. I really liked the color for her. The hat was okay.

Carol Middleton: Perfect mother of the bride. Beautiful hat.

Beatrice: Well, beautiful color, elegant style dress. And the "antlers" / "TV antenna" on her forehead was just her. I mean, she's known for weird hats/fascinators (just remember that butterfly thing a while back). So I would have been disappointed if she would have worn something like what she wore this easter. That said, I don't say I like like what she was weariung, but I don't dislike it either. It's just ... special ... very Beatrice. And it makes me wonder what she would be wearing at her own wedding. :ROFLMAO:

Eugenie:
Oh. My. God!!! What was that? The only thing that was okay was the color. It goes wonderful with her dark hair. But everything else was just plain wrong. It was to tight in the upper region, the square cleavage looked just plain wrong with so much bosom and the balloon skirt looked just ... I don't know how to put it nicely ... it looked like it had was a long skirt which she folded in half, tugged it under and then came lose somewhere along the way. And if her hat would have had a dark green style she could have easily gone for Robin Hoods wife. :lol:

Zara: Still searching for her. Has anyone a pic posted somewhere? OK, I just found her. But I'm still missing out on her lower half. Her upper half looked kind of silver-gray. Nice dress from what I can see. And impressive, interesting hat. No wonder I had problems finding her. That hat I remember but I didn't bother to look at the woman who's wearing it properly. Now I understand why I didn't see Zara all the time. :whistling:

Maxima: Wonderful dress, nice color for her ( even if her dress was paler than Letizias, Maxima didn't get invisible in it like Letizia got in hers). But I'm not really fond of her hat. (But what was it with her marching into Westminster Abbey like a soldier on a mission? It looks like she was nearly running. Was she afraid to be late?)

Letizia:
The dress was nice but the color was to pale. I couldn't see where her dress ended and her skin started. Nice hat.

Victoria: Nice color, beautiful hat and shoes, but the dress looked to tight wrapped to really look good on her.

Mathilde: Nice color, but to shiny.

Charlene: Classic. Wonderful. The perfect woman to step into Gracias shoes.

Chelsey: She looked somehow not complete. As if something was missing. Almost invisible hat / fascinator (whatever it was). But nice color.

Victoria Beckham:
Can a dress for a pregnant woman be any more boring? There were more pregnant woman but none of them wore something that resembled a hospital gown more than a wedding guest dress. And why this dark color? Couldn't there at least not have been some color? And I don't even talk about this "bump" on her forehead. It looked like she run into a wall yesterday evening. All in all completely BLAH to me.

Tara Palmer-Tomkinson:
Great color. But somehow she reminded me of this years background singers of our Eurovision contestant Lena. Only those singers wear silver and not such a bright blue. And her hat make me think of a rhino. It always makes me giggle.

Catherine: Wonderful. I liked her hair and was glad she didn't do it up. It wouldn't have been her. I really liked the lace at her cleavage and arms. It reminded me of Letizias wedding dress a lot. But I was a little disappionted in the veil. It was to empty somehow. It would have liked it better if there would have been a little lacy hemline around. At least to the part that she didn't have before her face at the beginning. Everything else was lovely. And I really like her bouquet. Small but really sweet and with a lot of (not so) hidden meaning in it.

Pippa: One word: Perfect! She couldn't have worn something better. And she also wore her hair almost down (or half up. whatever you may call it). It looked fresh and free but elegant at the same time.

The flower girls:
Can anyone wrapped them up and sent them pver to me, please? I mean, honestly, couldn't those little girls have been any cuter? And what's the most beautiful thing in their dress is, is their names and the wedding date embroided on their dress. How cute is that?

And a little extra on the guys:

David Beckham: Perfect! His wife was a disaster but he did everything right.

Harry: Whoa!!! I was never a big fan of him but can a man look any better in uniform than he? He really impressed me today.

William: The man in red. And it looked wonderful on him. Something different from all those dark uniformed royal grooms everywhere. But I had a little giggle moment nontheless. It was when there was a view from when he and Harry walked up the aisle from very high above. He almost got invisible in his red uniform on the red carpet and I was like "What's that? A camouflage groom?" :ROFLMAO:

The page boys:
Little boys is historic uniforms. So cute. Did you see the shoes? Usually girls want to have those kind of shoes but now the boys got them. Wonderful. Those two boys really wore this uniforms and not the other way around. But I wonder if they have their names and the wedding date of the wedding somewhere on their uniform too like the girls have. DOes anyone know something about that? On their cuffs maybe?

Last edited:
I know it is late in the day but some of those hats were really dangerous to people's eyes, pointy feathers and satellite dish brims. I felt bad about the people sitting around those hats. I heard a lot of worry that folks couldn't see for the imported trees in the Abbey, but there was no warning about the hats! As usual HM did her usual elegant thing. I envy her ability to wear ANY color with grace and distinction. What a LADY!

What a wonderful wedding! What a wonderful day! How nice to be able to feast our eyes on all that happiness- the bride and groom, the parents, the friends, the people!
I thought that Letizia, Victoria and Marie Chantal were beautiful, so was Maxima.
Horrible outfits of the York girls Ugh!
The wedding dress was perfect , classical and simple - the groom, gorgeous in his uniform, so was Harry.
Give me monarchy any time!!!! Can´t think of anybody waking up at 5am me here in Rio) not to speak of two biliion people, to watch a President´s daughter´s wedding!:D

The poor York girls. I WISH someone would take them in hand. Beatrice's dress was nice but that HAT... Her clothes so often wear her rather than the other way around. And Eugenie... dear Eugenie... Shall I count the ways?

Poor dears, they look like the ugly stepsisters at Cinderella's ball

Poor dears, they look like the ugly stepsisters at Cinderella's ball
I suppose they wanted to look extravagant,but they hurried.It is better to wear classical outfits than be wrong in the clothes' choice.Not everybody does have a gift of gothic fashion like Vivienne Westwood and Dita Von Teese

Does anyone have a picture of Lady Sarah Chatto? I saw walk into Westminster but I 've not seen a still photo of her. I really liked her dress...gunmetal grey with a 50s style I believe (unless I was looking at someone else).

I'd like to see her as well. I can't find anything.

I know it is late in the day but some of those hats were really dangerous to people's eyes, pointy feathers and satellite dish brims. I felt bad about the people sitting around those hats. I heard a lot of worry that folks couldn't see for the imported trees in the Abbey, but there was no warning about the hats! As usual HM did her usual elegant thing. I envy her ability to wear ANY color with grace and distinction. What a LADY!

So true.

Please lets go back to a hat that is a hat!!!

I don't think Bea's outfit was bad, just that hat! Or whatever you want to call it.

Some more musings from me.

-I liked Tara Palmer-Tomkinson's dress, but her fascinator reminded me of Tashi, and the gloves were too much

-Chelsy Davey chose her shoes and fascinator well, but that dress was just wrong

-Carole Middleton looked fit to be a member of The Royal Family, herself

-Pippa Middleton, looked serene, and the bridesmades and pageboys were adorable :flowers:

-Crown Princess Victoria chose her shoes badly, but I liked her hat and dress

-Samantha Cameron needed a hat or fascinator, but her dress looked good

Can anyone pictures of Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Helen Taylor, Ella Windsor (who I only caught for a second) or Princess Alexandra?

The network I was watching on didn't show them at all.

Last edited:
Crownprincess Victoria looked fantastic imo both today and last night and i love the tight dress today - she looks sexy but in an understated way that i find appropriate.

Beatrice dress is good but the "hat" is pure horror and totally destroys it all as it´s all you look at... Her sister is not much better with both horrible blue dress and "hat"

Nice to see letizia in a hat but i don´t like her outfit (or the hat) so much, but i loved her dress last night - it was fab!

I´m dissapointed that BBC choosed to ignore the foreign royals and showed cars that you couldn´t see into anyway - they could atleast have shown the royals once, i mean we got to see Elton John, Ian Thorpe and the Beckhams atleast 4-5 times... But it was a beautiful wedding.

I agree, CP Victoria looked lovely at the wedding. That peach color was beautiful on her.

Beatrice's hat and Eugenie's dress were appalling bad. Chelsy Davy looked awful too.

I loved Victoria Beckham's hat.

Last edited:
I don't think Bea's outfit was bad, just that hat! Or whatever you want to call it.

Agreed. Her dress was nice. It was the hair, the eye makeup, and the antlers that ruined the look.

Her Sister was almost the complete opposite. her hair and makeup were nice, but that dress and hat looked like something that would be worn to a pirate costume party.

They also need to learn how to move in a more elegant way. It's time someone gave the poor girls some help.

Very late here in Rio, so I'll be quick: a day to remember! Gorgeous bride, dapper groom and an enchanted audience. British people should be proud! As I've said in another thread, in my humble opinion, in the "closest" Royal Family the more elegants were Her Majesty (also "dressed" in very good spirits, as we could see), who is always so distinct, noble, and has her own style, and HRH Sophie, Countess of Essex. Glad to see others from Brasil at the Forum.

VW's designs, IMO, are ghastly.
I must disagree with that. Vivienne Westwood is not responsible for the way her creations are worn and from whom. She is one of the most talented fashion designers in her unique way and should not be badmouthed for the lousy taste of some of her customers.

That said, the dress is really not good for Eugenies body type and especially uncalled-for at such an event.

I was disappointed by the (lack) coverage of the European royals in the US media, but not surprised.
As for fashion: the Bride and Groom looked amazing, in every sense of the word!
Sorry, but I thought Pippa wearing white was wrong. Call me old-school but only the bride is supposed to wear white to her wedding. A nice pastel color on Pippa would have looked nice. Also, I thought her dress was way too tight and clinging. I found it inappropriate for the event and the venue.
Lalla Salma could wear a coffee bean sack and look elegant. She is so beautiful and regal, no matter what she wears.
I thought Zara looked great!
I also thought Camilla looked great.
Not a fan of the yellow on HM, a bit too bright.
It's a shame Chelsy didn't turn out better. She's a very pretty girl and could have been ravishing. I agree w the person who said she appeared to have been up all night and just rolled into her outfit.
Victoria B. was stylish as ever.
Mrs. Middleton looked very nice as well.
The York girls . . . let's not go there.
I liked the color and design of Marie-Chantal's dress, but it was a bit too short.

Some more musings from me.

-I liked Tara Palmer-Tomkinson's dress, but her fascinator reminded me of Tashi, and the gloves were too much

-Chelsy Davey chose her shoes and fascinator well, but that dress was just wrong

-Carole Middleton looked fit to be a member of The Royal Family, herself

-Pippa Middleton, looked serene, and the bridesmades and pageboys were adorable :flowers:

-Crown Princess Victoria chose her shoes badly, but I liked her hat and dress

-Samantha Cameron needed a hat or fascinator, but her dress looked good

Can anyone pictures of Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Helen Taylor, Ella Windsor (who I only caught for a second) or Princess Alexandra?

The network I was watching on didn't show them at all.

I do believe this is the lovely Princess Alexandra in the blue hat behind Beatrice's 'antlers'! http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/29/article-1382086-0BD53A7A00000578-57_634x418.jpg
and again just behind Princess Michael, still not a good view I'm afraid..
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/29/article-1382086-0BD46F7C00000578-15_306x516.jpg

Edit: Found Lady Sarah Chatto! http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/11...9F9EB07E8FA4AB621890B359BA6B3BB263DE7D585E6D7 It's odd..when I saw her on the BBC I liked her outfit but it doesn't look so good to me in the photos..

Edit again: Found Princess Alexandra! http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/11...2FB0822FF79E8B621890B359BA6B34DEEDF27202FEC09

Last edited:
I was disappointed by the (lack) coverage of the European royals in the US media, but not surprised.

The coverage came from BBC so every foreign TV station couldn't show they european royals more. I wasn't surprised to be honest. It's british style to show only their own royals and celebrities and ignore that their are royal guests from other countries too. Foreign royals aren't important enough for them.

And before I get yelled at now, I just want to make sure that I didn't want to anger the british people. Just stating a fact. It's simply the british way of living. But it's sad all the same that we didn't see the foreign royals more. Until I found a pic of Victoria and Daniel hours after the kiss I wasn't even sure they were there.

This is a British morning wedding and it's the wedding on the second in line not the first, it doesn't require tiaras and gowns.

Could I provide a little supplemental information to help with this one, please?

The Tiara issue isn't affected by the fact that Williams is second line to the throne; The strict British protocol [ I can't speak for other jurisdictions] is that a bride is permitted to wear her tiara at her daytime wedding, but so far as female guests are concerned, Tiaras can ONLY be worn if the dress code for the Occasion is deemed to be 'White Tie'. So far as this wedding was concerned, the Dress code was given as 'Lounge Suit or Morning Dress'.

The other strict rule about Tiara wearing is that ONLY married women [or the bride on her wedding day] are permitted to wear tiaras.

The only daytime occasion when Tiaras are worn en masse is the State Opening of Parliament.

So far as Evening events are concerned, it it not correct to wear Tiaras if the dress code is 'Black Tie'. There was a famous incident when Princess Michael of Kent sat for some formal photographic portraits; in one, she was wearing evening dress with a Tiara, and behind her, Prince Michael was dressed in Black Tie. According to strict protocol, he should have been in White Tie to 'match' Princess Michael's tiara. Poor Princess Michael, the Press [not just the unkind tabloids] had a field day laughing at the faux pas!!

Having set out the strict position above [which was formulated historically in the rules for dress and insignia worn at Court, and is constatly re-stated by Geoffrey Munn, managing director of Wartski, one of the 'By Appointment' Jewellers to members of the Royal Family and regarded as the pre-eminent expert on Tiara Protocol] I also have to say that there was one occasion when the Queen announced a variation to this usually very strict protocol, and that was back in 1990 when Her Majesty threw what is regarded as one of the very best 'Royal' celebration parties in the whole of her reign.

This was to celebrate the birthdays of The Queen Mother [aged 90], Princess Margaret [Aged 60], The Princess Royal [aged 40] and Prince Andrew [Aged 30]. It was a HUGE party, and the guest list was very, very diverse indeed with people from all walks of life - with guests ranging from Royal and Princely families right down to jockeys who rode the BRF's racehorses. [There was a lovely story at the time that a very young guest, who considered himself from a very 'ordinary' background, was so startled to receive his invitation that his immediate reaction was that there must have been a mistake and the invitation was meant for someone else; on making further enquiries he was told he was indeed the intended recipient] The dress code was deemed to be 'black tie' and also [from memory] 'lounge suit'.

However, The Queen, who is ever practical, realised that many ladies would love the chance to wear their tiaras [Royal and otherwise - remember, ANY married lady, royal or otherwise, is permitted to wear a tiara] and therefore decreed that they could do so even though the event was [only] 'black tie'. The reason for her relaxation of the rules was that she realised that not all of her [male] guests - because of the diverse guestlist- would have 'White Tie' and she certainly didn't want some of her guests declining the invitation because they HADN'T got 'White Tie' dress, and accordingly she announced a relaxation to the strict protocols for that night.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Last edited:
the material of Victoria's skirt pulls a bit like if it some sort of stretch fabric, which makes it informal

Oh thank you, thank you! Best dressed Royal for me (aside from bride)!!!!!!!

I liked what Sarah Chatto was wearing but I am a fan of her style and Camilla looked pretty too, loved the colour combination and the 2 flower broches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom