Wedding of William & Catherine: Royal Fashions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Desperate for attention

I completely agree. I think they make those outrageously awful fashion choices on purpose to get attention. So far, it seems to be working for them.

Like mom; like daughter. To some, any attention (positive or negative) is better than none.

I understand your opinions but I don't support them. To me, they're simply young women currently influenced by their circumstances (university students) and if their fashion sense, or lack of it, is the worst that can be said against them then they're not doing too badly, in my opinion.

Actually, I'm at home with an unwell teenager and I asked her her opinion of the two princesses outfits - 'cool', was the response. Apparently, the Yorks dress age-appropriate, and, as I've intimated, if the palace were worried about it we'd see a change.

Nor do I think it appropriate to use them to gratuitously attack their mother in this instance.

With the exception of CP Victoria and Joss Stone I like your list of best-dressed, Moonmaden23. To my mind, CP Victoria's outfit was a little too tight and casual and Joss Stone was too conservative. And therein lies the expectations underlying difference of opinion.

To me, CP Victoria seemed too informally dressed for a Crown Princess at such an event and Joss Stone seemed too conservative for a young, trendy songstress. Whereas I wouldn't have expected her to imitate Lady Gaga, for instance, I did expect something more contemporary and youthful.

My personal favourite was CP Letizia, as she so often is. Many of the women in attendance were ultra-stylish and looked wonderful, but none more so that Mrs Middleton and the Queen.

I for one refuse to agree that someone looks "fabulous" just because they are wearing couture. First of some people are just not proportioned correctly (to be polite) to wear those kinds of dresses. Clearly there are reasons why runway models look like coathangers. To some people wearing couture automatically makes it great and I do not agree with that philosophy. It may be daring, it may be edgy but it can still be very ugly. Apparently Beatrice and her Treacy creation are the joke of the internet. I do realize that not everyone commenting may exhibit the greatest taste, but THAT many people can't be all wrong. I fully agree that these girls delight in the attention ... obviously learned at the "Motherly knee".

I have nothing against Beatrice and Eugenie personally, nor do I believe that they dress like that for attantion (they would have to get it wrong more consistantly, for me to believe that) but The Palace should be worried about these:

Princess Beatrice Wedding Hat Also Rans | The Brainsoaker

Beatrice's hat takes viral crown | Stuff.co.nz

GANDER

boogersareyum's Profile - Dashboard - Cheezburger.com

Parody should be allowed, but The York Princesses, have not picked up many Royal duties yet (something I hold nothing against them for. They are students) and they need to be as respectable as possible, before they start the Royal work. When I was watching the service with my Parents and Sister, my Parents were talking about how Beatrice and Eugneie "don't dress appropriately", and "don't move elegantly". I know that The York Princesses are of a similar age to me, not my Parents, but The Defence Forces, and The Royal Police Forces, will sniff at them if they are best known for their gobsmacking fashion choices. People on this site say how they "don't do any work", and claim that "the forces would never want them", despite the fact that they have done nothing worse than anything William and Henry have done.

This is a serious image problem for the Sisters.

Last edited:
As for Princess Beatrice's outfit, the shoes, dress and coat were all right but as for that funny-looking thing sticking up out of it, is it a lobster? Is it a giant Pretzel? Is it a spider? I wasn't mad about her sister's skirt, but I liked the colour combination.

Princess Anne had a striking colour combination for her outfit but I'm not sure that purple and lurid lime green worked all that well together.

I understand your opinions but I don't support them. To me, they're simply young women currently influenced by their circumstances (university students) and if their fashion sense, or lack of it, is the worst that can be said against them then they're not doing too badly, in my opinion.

Actually, I'm at home with an unwell teenager and I asked her her opinion of the two princesses outfits - 'cool', was the response. Apparently, the Yorks dress age-appropriate, and, as I've intimated, if the palace were worried about it we'd see a change.

Nor do I think it appropriate to use them to gratuitously attack their mother in this instance.

With the exception of CP Victoria and Joss Stone I like your list of best-dressed, Moonmaden23. To my mind, CP Victoria's outfit was a little too tight and casual and Joss Stone was too conservative. And therein lies the expectations underlying difference of opinion.

To me, CP Victoria seemed too informally dressed for a Crown Princess at such an event and Joss Stone seemed too conservative for a young, trendy songstress. Whereas I wouldn't have expected her to imitate Lady Gaga, for instance, I did expect something more contemporary and youthful.

My personal favourite was CP Letizia, as she so often is. Many of the women in attendance were ultra-stylish and looked wonderful, but none more so that Mrs Middleton and the Queen.

What I liked about Victoria's Westminster Abbey outfit is that(at least from the front!) it showcased her curves gracefully and dramatically. I know some people found it too tight...I did not.

And that deep red gown she wore to the pre-wedding dinner at the Mandarin was just breathtaking.

I loved the color of Joss Stone's Westminster Abbey outfit!:whistling:

My list for best dressed:

Lady Frederick Windsor - OMG...STUNNING, sleek, chic, in Chanel.
Princess Michael of Kent - Classy - much better than her son's wedding..haha
Princess Mathilde of Belgium - Is that her wedding tiara as a necklace?
Princess Letizia of Spain - LOVED the color
Zara Phillips - I loved her hat and that gray color
The Countess of Wessex - Loved it all
Carol Middleton - PERFECT, not one thing wrong. Classy.
Pippa - WOW!
The Duchess of Cambridge - Perfection of romance and understated elegance
The Crown Princess of Sweden - I loved the orangish/tangerinish color, sleek, and her hat.
Charlenet Wittstock - LOVED the whole ensemble.

Added to the best-dressed list IMO should be Lady Sarah Chatto.

She was visible on TV for a nanosecond, and photos of her are scarce as hens' teeth, so hopefully this Getty images link will work

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

some people are just not proportioned correctly (to be polite) to wear those kinds of dresses.

Nothing impolite about it, it is indeed a matter of proportion, and no matter whether you're fat or thin there's nothing that can be done about it. It helps a bit if you're tall, but when your bust is too close to your waist, it's much harder to find clothes that don't make you look dumpy, even if you're slim. I am short-waisted myself, and have always had this problem,.

I agree, Lady Sarah is a vision in mid-century modern.

Added to the best-dressed list IMO should be Lady Sarah Chatto.

She was visible on TV for a nanosecond, and photos of her are scarce as hens' teeth, so hopefully this Getty images link will work

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Nothing impolite about it, it is indeed a matter of proportion, and no matter whether you're fat or thin there's nothing that can be done about it. It helps a bit if you're tall, but when your bust is too close to your waist, it's much harder to find clothes that don't make you look dumpy, even if you're slim. I am short-waisted myself, and have always had this problem,.

I thought Lady Sarah's skirt was horrible, and it did make her look dumpy! The skirt was too full and was an awkward length; I didn't like it at all.

I agree that CP Victoria's dress was too tight, and did you see the rear view? Not a bit flattering.

Sarah's outfit makes her look dumpy. Victoria looked teriffic from the front, but not from the back. Maxima looked great. Sophie's outfit lovely, hat terrible. Charlene and Zara incredible.

I love Lady Sarah's outfit.

And yes, Mathilde was wearing her tiara as a necklace! Brilliant! She managed to wear a tiara and a hat!

Is there a picture of Joss Stone?
I didn't realize she was invited.

Could it be that Beatrice and Eugenie have really bad taste? Perhaps they don't realize how ridiculous they look. I'm just trying to make up some excuse for their lack of fashion foresight and ability.

"
Actually, I'm at home with an unwell teenager and I asked her her opinion of the two princesses outfits - 'cool', was the response. Apparently, the Yorks dress age-appropriate, and, as I've intimated, if the palace were worried about it we'd see a change."

I agree with some of what you are saying. I don't think they are doing it for attention either. I think they just have bad taste in clothing. They hardly ever get it right, like you said, that doens't make them bad people if that's all we can say about them at the very least.

Here is where I disagree. Those girls were not age appropriately dressed. I don't know any young lady their age, whether she has a designer wardrobe or shops second hand that would put on a look like that and call it fashionable. Well, in Beatrice's case, her ensemble was actually quite beautiful and looked great on her and a bit sophisticated for her age, but she pulled it off well. It was that hideous fascinator that I drew the line at. It was such a beautiful day and all anyone can remember is that horrible hat. LOL

But Eugenie. Princess, Princess, Princess. I don't know what she was thinking. They both have beautiful healthy, non-twig like bodies and while the color was dashing on her skintone, the shape of the dress made her look ten years older and not in a good way.

I like tha Joss did something different because she is usually dressed in a funky outfit. She was very careful to respectful of the day and I loved it!

CP Victoria, I thought this was one of her better outfits. She is often attacked in her fashion thread for not wearing color and not doing something a little daring. Baby steps for her, I said. She must have been reading the thread because there she was in color! And I say for her, the outfit was a little risque with the color and the fit. She looked amazing, though I would have loved to see her with a different hat hat so she could something fabulous with her hair!

P.S. Earlier I got the two mixed up in another post. Beatrice had the cream coloured dress which is the one I liked and Beatrice had that hideous outfit.

Last edited:
I thought Lady Sarah's skirt was horrible, and it did make her look dumpy! The skirt was too full and was an awkward length; I didn't like it at all.

That's your privilege. You would have been heavily outnumbered where I was watching. :lol:

As many people here know I teach high school students and the girls thought the York girls looked 'cool' as well. The boys felt that they were fine but didn't like Beatrice's eye makeup - thought the hat was 'interesting'.

That was the older kids view anyway - the 16 - 18 year olds. The 12 year olds - only girls here though - thought Beatrice looked 'old' but thought Eugenie was dressed great and would love to wear something like that to a wedding or party.

Couldn't agree more.

Yet none of the fashion or gossip blogs that skew towards women their age thought they looked good.

Beatrice's coat was made for somebody much older but at least it was elegant. Her ghoul eyes and the hat, well everything has been said that needs to be said about that part of her look.

Eugenie's skirt looked like it was sewn by drunk 13 year olds in home ec class. I know it was meant to look 'different' but if you look at the seams on the upper side of the skirt, they don't even look straight. People point out how tight her jacket was over her boobs and waist, the poor girl's upper arms were being pinched in by the fabric. IMO it's really shoddy craftsmanship on Vivienne Westwood's part to send her out in that outfit.

I do really feel sorry for the York girls. They're pretty girls who 90% of the time look like a mess. At their age especially with the resources available to them and the circles they travel in, they should be better dressed. There are no excuses really.

My list for best dressed:

Lady Frederick Windsor - OMG...STUNNING, sleek, chic, in Chanel.
Princess Michael of Kent - Classy - much better than her son's wedding..haha
Princess Mathilde of Belgium - Is that her wedding tiara as a necklace?
Princess Letizia of Spain - LOVED the color
Zara Phillips - I loved her hat and that gray color
The Countess of Wessex - Loved it all
Carol Middleton - PERFECT, not one thing wrong. Classy.
Pippa - WOW!
The Duchess of Cambridge - Perfection of romance and understated elegance
The Crown Princess of Sweden - I loved the orangish/tangerinish color, sleek, and her hat.
Charlenet Wittstock - LOVED the whole ensemble.

Yes, that probably was the Duchess of Brabant's(Princess Mathilde's) wedding tiara used as a necklace. Believe it or not, this lovely and most aristocratic of Princesses only has ONE tiara, because her father-in-law's stepmother the late Liliane de Rethy auctioned off most of the Belgian Crown Jewels to finance her rather luxurious lifestyle.:bang:

So the Belgian Royal women(with the exception of Queen Fabiola who is almost never seen at formal events anymore) have a really meager amount of bling to choose from. :sad:

Last edited:
I was initially fairly critical of both Beatrice and Eugenie, but after reading more about them and looking at their past choices, I am now singularly amused by them - and they have become a highlight of this event, for me. And why not? It's their cousin's wedding and I think they both have a sense of fun and humor. They would have gotten attention no matter how they dressed, so why not make it memorable (Beatrice especially accomplished that).

There's something whimsical, Wonderlandish about their take on themselves as Princesses. So now I rather like what they wore (Eugenie's dress isn't as poorly fitted as I first thought - she doesn't need to be ashamed of her body). The only thing I still wish could change is Beatrice's eye makeup - just a tad less would have been better, but I'm guessing she's making that her trademark look - it sure is easy to pick her out in a crowd, that's for sure.

I was initially fairly critical of both Beatrice and Eugenie, but after reading more about them and looking at their past choices, I am now singularly amused by them - and they have become a highlight of this event, for me. And why not? It's their cousin's wedding and I think they both have a sense of fun and humor. They would have gotten attention no matter how they dressed, so why not make it memorable (Beatrice especially accomplished that).

There's something whimsical, Wonderlandish about their take on themselves as Princesses. So now I rather like what they wore (Eugenie's dress isn't as poorly fitted as I first thought - she doesn't need to be ashamed of her body). The only thing I still wish could change is Beatrice's eye makeup - just a tad less would have been better, but I'm guessing she's making that her trademark look - it sure is easy to pick her out in a crowd, that's for sure.

ITA, while I didn't love what either princess wore. I wasn't among the folks really taking them to task for what they wore. I thought they went to the wedding with a sense of humor, especially Beatrice. The hats were fun and silly and outlandish. Ithought the reaction was way over the top because it was just an odd hat to be so mean-spirited. I also agree about Bea's makeup, just a tad less and it would have been fine in my oppinion.

Last edited:
The reason I don't think the outlandish hats/outfits were done in a spirit of humor instead of just their usual hideous taste in fashion?

Because they almost always dress that way!:bang:

Besides...why pick the your cousin's(who also happens to be heir to the Throne)wedding to draw attention to yourself like that??

Victoria was my best dressed.But honestly this was a very boring royal event for fashion.I liked Victoria and Marys weddings better because they let the women wear gowns and tiaras.Am I right?

The wedding was in the morning so the dress was appropriate for the service.

:previous: Oh but I really couldn't abide it if they changed. Each BRF wedding is a symphony of hats. Hat's that are gorgeous and hats that are worn by gorgons, hats that are to die for and hats that look like something died, hats that are heinous and hats that are hilarious.

Come on, the tradition of the BRF wedding is unique and as for this last one? Well I gasped and I gaped, I winced and I whined, I snickered and I choked, I would have rolled on the floor laughing, if I hadn't thought I might miss something magnificent.

Some made me jealous and some made me just plain bilious. And others, a very few others? Well they just made me sigh at their sheer perfection.

Now where else in the world could you get that all in one place on one day?

I do love the hat 'show' that the Windsors put on for so many British royal events :)

Judging by my personal taste, Marie-Chantal of Greece, Beatrice of York, with the exception of the unflattering headpiece, and Mrs Carole Middleton were the best-dressed of all the ladies.

Victoria of Sweden and Letizia of Spain were rather underdressed for such an important occasion. The Duchess of Gloucester should have worn blue or black shoes, not white. And her coat needed better tailoring, unfortunately.

Princess Michael of Kent and her daughter looked decent. I would say well-dressed, without anything too exciting for my personal taste. Their hats were rather unflattering, I must note. The daughter-in-law, Lady Frederick got it right, on the other hand. However, the overall look was too serious for her lovely young age.

The Queen's and Camilla's coat were actually nice, but that was all.
The rest of the ladies, that I managed to see, were rather badly-dressed. This unfortunate team was led by Princess Anne, Eugenie of York and Mathilde of Belgium, in my humble opinion.

Victoria was my best dressed.But honestly this was a very boring royal event for fashion.I liked Victoria and Marys weddings better because they let the women wear gowns and tiaras.Am I right?

Those other weddings happened during the afternoon.

Anyways, on the day my focus was totally (to my surprise) on the couple. So for me all the other royals could be wearing black garbage bags that I wouldn't care!

However , now after 1 week I'm curious to see what the ladies wore!

Lady Sarah Chatto is so elegant! Simple, Fresh and still one of the best!
Princess Victoria looked beautiful and shattered any gossip about pregnancy! :sad: :lol:
Eugenie and Beatrice... well they are still young. Eugenie was not at her best at all, sadly. for such a beautiful girl. I'm not impressed. That blue doesn't suit anyone, specially if you have a dead possum in our head.
Beatrice looked better. Just the eye makeup :bang:. The hat? can't decide yet. Crazy? yes but for some reason can't completely hate it

Last edited:
Some headpieces were just out of this world, some were really pretty but not for a wedding and most over not for a royal wedding but then I guess they did get the attention & made a statement.

I really like Marie-Chantal's hat but not for the wedding, would love to see it at royal ascots maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom