Wedding of William & Catherine: Royal Fashions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look back at the pictures from all the royal weddings since (and including 1947) you will see that the bridesmaids dresses are always white or cream. Diana's bridesmaids had a yellowy coloured belt/sash at the waist but were the same colour as her wedding dress.

White/cream for the young girls is okay, but I think Pippa's, as the Maid of Honor, should have been a different color. Not white or cream or anything close. That is reserved, imo, for the bride.

I have to say I like Princess Anne's oufit especially the color. Eugenie's and Beatrice's outfits weren't too bad. I think Eugenie's outfit might have looked slighly better without the bows and a different hat. (great colors though). I am debating on whether or not I like the Countess of Wessex's outfit.

Why can't anyone wear a normal hat, though a few did wear a nice normal hat. (though kind of interesting it was the older adults who did that).

White/cream for the young girls is okay, but I think Pippa's, as the Maid of Honor, should have been a different color. Not white or cream or anything close. That is reserved, imo, for the bride.

It is a tradition... I also find very strange, but it's not for them.

Did anyone catch Zara P. pop a piece of gum in her mouth after the ceremony?? The Queen must have seen it on a screen, because they panned to her, and she was frowning?!?! Loved Zara's outfit...stylewise...but might have put her in another color.
Andrew's girls looked horrid and disrepectful in the Abbey....maybe still angry mamma wasn't invited!

Not in a royal wedding. That's a rule that we commoners tend to follow - although I daresay, we could take a page from the royal book. Pippa's echoing of her sister's dress made her presence graceful rather than distracting.

I find the arbitrary choice of color for bridesmaid's dresses to be one of the most perilous aspects of a wedding - so perhaps, I have royal tastes. :D

Did anyone catch Zara P. pop a piece of gum in her mouth after the ceremony?? The Queen must have seen it on a screen, because they panned to her, and she was frowning?!?! Loved Zara's outfit...stylewise...but might have put her in another color.
Maybe she was subtly showing support for the mother of the bride, after Carole Middleton got all the flack in the media for chewing gum at William's passing out parade at Sandhurst.

Did anyone else think Victoria's waitline ruching might be hiding an incipient pregnancy?

I just wanted to find somewhere to say how delightful and lovely I thought HM's outfit was. The color was not only fabulous, it matched the primrose/golden braids on the men's red suits perfectly and complemented those red coats so well.

The colors of the wedding turned out to be scarlet and primrose, I think - true British colors, and that was a good choice.

The Queen stood out, complemented her husband's uniform - and the two of them looked wonderful together.

I thought the color was fab too. She brought sunshine to the abbey.

I almost wonder if it was a good move on Beatrice's part to wear such an outrageous hat. We've seen that the media was focused on the Middleton women, the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall, and Victoria Beckham. None of the commentators pointed out the Countess of Wessex and the Princess Royal, plus the minor family members and foreign royals were largely ignored.

By wearing such an incredible hat, Beatrice pretty much assured that people would be talking about her the next day.

By wearing such an incredible hat, Beatrice pretty much assured that people would be talking about her the next day.

But thats nothing new, the York girls seem to dress with exaggerate hats at quite a few events. They don't seem to have a great sense of style. I guess they are still young & finding what suits them & what doesn't.

Okay I have to say never was simultaneously impressed and appalled by some of the get ups that I saw on some of these people who can trace their family back a billion years. It made me wonder what exactly is the point of having all that high-born money and no taste to go with it?

I'll start with my best dressed favs:

I thought Victoria Beckham was my favorite. She looked so elegant and classy with her loosely fitted navy dress and matching accessories and she didn't over do it on the hat. I think she and David were the best dressed couple.

I liked what Princess Michael of Kent was wearing. Love that turquoise colour on her and she has the sass to pull it off. Some one said she was the Zsa Zsa Gabor of the BRF. I disagree.

The Countess of Wessex also turned a fine figure. I thought she and CP Victoria of Sweden were the best dressed Royals along with Zara Phillips who's ensemble was head to toe perfect.

I loved the hats that the Ladies Amelia, Eliza, and Kitty (the Diana's nieces via the brother) and also that beautiful hat Princess Ameerah had was lovely. It was pink and really complimented her beautiful hair.

Worse Dressed:

Pardon moi francais, but what the hell were Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie thinking? I liked what Eugenie wore, but that hat was trifling. And her sister, she just looked very cheaply turned out. Like something a seventh grader makes in home economics.

Tara Palmer-Thompkinson...what she wore was so disgraceful to the day. Understated and elegant was the point. Everyone except for her and Beatrice seemed to get the memo on this. That dress would be find for a night out hanging in the drag queen district in some NYC night life event, but to a wedding. She didn't need to worry about her coke nose at all. Her attention should have been on her over all appearance.

And I didn't care for Letizia's look either. She seemed very hungry.

I almost wonder if it was a good move on Beatrice's part to wear such an outrageous hat. We've seen that the media was focused on the Middleton women, the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall, and Victoria Beckham. None of the commentators pointed out the Countess of Wessex and the Princess Royal, plus the minor family members and foreign royals were largely ignored.

What I found kind of amusing was the photos of the dress that Eugenie wore to the evening party. First photo I saw of it was from a side view and she had the "trainers" on (I did ask when the photo was taken and at that time of the morning I most likely would have been barefoot). Then I saw the back view of the dress and just glancing at it, it would bring to mind the most horrible thing that could happen after leaving the ladies room, the dress got caught tucked in. Somehow i really have to believe that both of the York girls are never going to set the world on fire for fashion.

. Somehow i really have to believe that both of the York girls are never going to set the world on fire for fashion.

Well, on the evidence to date, I think there are many who would agree with you. In my very humble opinion, I think that one of the difficulties that both girls face is that their mother Sarah has little inherent fashion sense, and if you have a fashion-aware mother, you can often be guided in your choices. What the Princesses really needed before setting off for Westminster Abbey [and preferably before they even purchased their dresses and THAT HAT] was a stylish mother to say ' Oh, not that Dress', or 'Eeeeek you can't wear that hat'. And as I have said elsewhere in this forum, I think that the the Designers and Milliner let the Princesses down very badly as well.

By mentinoning Sarah's lack of early style, I particularly want to stress that I do NOT want this statement to be seen as 'Sarah-bashing'. Instead, please let me try to put this remark into context.

When Sarah joined the Royal Family, many of her outfits were, quite frankly, a disgrace to the Designers who sold them to her. Both 'The Times' and 'Tatler' magazine highlighted the 'Droopy Flower Print frocks' that Sarah appeared in. The important point however was that whilst Diana was the 'stick-thin [which we now know was in part due to her eating disorders] fashion plate', 'Fergie' was big, bouncy and good fun. She joined in very enthusiastically with all the activities the BRF love [horses, country life at Balmoral, weekends at Windsor Castle where the Duke of Edinburgh taught her Carriage Driving].

In the early days of her marriage, the RF quite obviously adored Sarah, praising the way that she joined in with everything and how she was learning to fly etc. [Prince Charles is also rumoured at one point to have said to Diana 'Why can't you be more like Sarah?' A remark quoted in the broadsheets, not just the tabloids.

It was also at that time that people were starting to become a little jaded with the apparent vanity of the Princess of Wales - it was not only the tabloids that published the enormous sums that Diana was apparently spending on clothes and at a time of increasing national austerity, to the general dismay of many royal 'Royal Watchers' including many of the RF's loyal fans; the INITIAL effect of all this was put Sarah's lack of fashion sense 'on the back burner', as it didn't seem to matter so much.

Having obviously been guided well in the choice of her wedding dress, it seemed that after the wedding Sarah started to 'do her own choosing with no guidance', and her lack of fashion-savvy soon showed, but at first, it didn't seem to be important - whereas fashion and charity was Diana's 'thing', Sarah had a host of other activities in addition to her her charity work and fashion was a bit of an irrelevant facet of her life.

Ultimately, when the criticism started to become vocal, Sarah began to take good and sensible advice from professionals who really knew what they were talking about, and when she did so, she often looked very good. The problem however was that when she was not guided well, or when she had taken poor advice, her dressing faults always showed. In my very humble opinion, it is my view that left to her own ideas, Sarah has no inbuilt fashion-radar. Develop this idea further, and let us assume that if the Princesses ever ask their mother for an opinion as to how they look or what suits them, Sarah is not necessarily going to be the best person to advise them. Extrapolate this idea a little, and think what would have been the case if Diana had both lived and had had the daughter she always wanted. With Diana's fashion sense, one would imagine that there would not have been so many fashion mistakes sported by her little Princess.

Only my views,

Alex

Last edited:
Alex,

A very good analysis and observation on the York girls lack of fashion. Obviously it's inherited, LOL but I suppose in the long time is not a crime against humanity, just a sight for sore eyes!

I know that Bea and Eugenie are not the most genetically blessed, looks wise. But couldnt they get a stylist to help them choose clothes that are more flattering to their shape and coloring? Not everyone is 6' tall and 120 lbs.

That's exactly what they reminded me of. The wicked stepsisters.

Did anyone else think Victoria's waitline ruching might be hiding an incipient pregnancy?

I don't think so; if she'd been trying to conceal a pregnancy, I think she'd have worn something less clinging.
The red dress looked wonderful.

(Strange, I always had the impression Victoria was a tall girl, at least as tall as the Duchess of Cambridge. But I read she's only 5'7" which is average height).

however i thioght about a fith pregnancy for princess mathilde

For all we know they may have a stylist who is telling them that they look fabulous.

Philip Tracey made 36 hats for the wedding including Beatrice's. Now some of themm looked fantastic but which is the one people are talking about? From a business point of view that wouldn't be a good advertisement so what was he thinking in making that monstrosity - badly advising Beatrice as well. If that was me and she insisted on that hat I would have refused to make it and told her to go elsewhere.

I must admit I watched the Sky News coverage of the wedding last night and their fashion person actually thought Beatice looked fantastic and that the hat was brilliant. I am paraphrasing here but the gist is right - it was what she said when Beatrice first emerged from the car and before she could finish - or comment on Eugenie's the coverage crossed to the Queen leaving the Palace.

IMO Lady Frederick Windsor and her sister in law Lady Gabriella were immaculate.

lady frederick windsor, sophie winkleman lord frederick windsor and lady gabriella windsor - Camera Press - 20293607-029 - Agence Photo - Fotoagentschap - Banque d'Images - Image Bank - Paparazzi - Videos | Isopix.be | Belgique, Belgie

On the other hand I thought the Duchess of Gloucester looked old and frumpy, so unlike her usual self

duchess of gloucester - Camera Press - 20293985-018 - Agence Photo - Fotoagentschap - Banque d'Images - Image Bank - Paparazzi - Videos | Isopix.be | Belgique, Belgie

As far as the Yorks are concerned I actually think they really crossed the line. All laughing aside, I would actually be quite angry if someone turned up at my wedding looking as ludicrous as they did.

Last edited:
Well, now, I feel much more charitably towards them. They were both wearing couture (Vivienne Westwood and Valentino)and both took fashion risks.

Beatrice's outfit was elegant in my opinion and her headpiece was obviously designed to complement the detail at the top of her coat. Do I think that it suited her face - no. Do I think that she should be ridiculed for being somewhat outré -no. Do I think that she 'offended' anyone - of course not. If her family were concerned about it she would have been asked,or given, a substitute; she dressed and left from the palace,after all.

Eugenie's choice of Westwood would always have suggested that her outfit would be unusual. Whereas I don't think that it really suited her, I also think that there was nothing wrong with clothes which harked back to an earlier historical age, particularly on such a regal and historic occasion in the most ancient and historic church in the realm.

In sum, there's nothing untoward about two young women enjoying flirting with fashion. Whether or not we agree with their choices or fashion nous isn't really the issue. I applaud their efforts to be original and strike out on an independent and individual course.

Undoubtedly, the two of them, from experience,will make many more fashion faux-pas, but I feel that if their grandmother isn't concerned enough to intervene then perhaps we should be allow ourselves to be similarly tolerant and/or amused.

Philip Tracey made 36 hats for the wedding including Beatrice's. Now some of themm looked fantastic but which is the one people are talking about? From a business point of view that wouldn't be a good advertisement so what was he thinking in making that monstrosity - badly advising Beatrice as well. If that was me and she insisted on that hat I would have refused to make it and told her to go elsewhere.

In the clip I saw online, Beatrice and Treacy were hand in hand and looked very at ease together.
She mentioned how much she loved hats, and I noted that Treacy called her Beatrice; it was apparent they were on the friendliest of terms.

I think Beatrice loved the hat and deliberately chose it to be provoking.

I have tried to be charitable toward Beatrice and Eugenie in the past, but I am running out of patience. Unless Beatrice has a sight problem, she must know that that hat was absolutely awful. I think she likes to draw attention with her ghastly hats and costumes because it's a way to get noticed around more glamourous young women. Her eye-makeup looked like she lost a bet! As for Eugenie...I have no idea what the hell is going on there.:bang:

The three Spencer girls are breathtaking...I am going to start calling them The Three Graces.:whistling: But those tight, tarty outfits were sooo not appropriate for a wedding at Westminster Abbey, imo.

The guests who stood out to me as overall best dressed at the wedding were:

CP Victoria of Sweden
CP Letizia of Spain
Charlene Wittstock
Lady Frederick Windsor
Joss Stone
CP Maxima of the Netherlands
Carole Middleton

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back