Wedding of William & Catherine: Royal Fashion at the Pre-Wedding Dinner

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kate14 said:
No pics of William and Kate?

They didn't attend. She's with her family at the hotel, William is at CH with Charles, Camilla and Harry.

^They didn't attend instead William did an impromptu walkabout at the Mall and Kate's at the Goring Hotel. She had dinner with her family

They didn't attend. She's with her family at the hotel, William is at CH with Charles, Camilla and Harry.

Is this a British tradition? I'm just wondering since in Sweden the couple did take part in the pre-wedding celebrations. I do understand they need some time to relax before the big day but it feels a bit weird they're not there to meet their guests.

I love all the royal ladies dresses! I simply cannot pick a favorite...
Sorry when I said I saw a photo of Maxima earlier, I mixed her up with Mathilde!

Princess Anne looked dowdy as ever, but Zara seem to have some wow to hers. Autumn pretty in blue.

Maybe if we had a better picture of Charlene's we could decide better if we like it or not.

The Queen's outfit did not seem to fit her figure, pretty though.

Letziia's is beautiful, a light chiffon shawl would have been nice.

Lots of pretty red dresses.

The Queen of Denmark raided the costume chest!!

Nice photos of Lady Anson.

Loved Princess Michael's hair and dress.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, I thought Kate doing her own makeup was a joke! Oh my this isn't good.

Any pics of Anne?

Catharina said:
Is this a British tradition? I'm just wondering since in Sweden the couple did take part in the pre-wedding celebrations. I do understand they need some time to relax before the big day but it feels a bit weird they're not there to meet their guests.

I'm not sure if it is a tradition, but my guess is that they perhaps wanted to spend some time alone with their families before the wedding.

These aren't William and Catherine's guests, they're guests of the Queen at William and Catherine's wedding.

I don't know if it's British tradition per se, but maybe this particular couple does things differently. Also, Victoria and Daniel's wedding was a state occasion as she's heir to the throne. William and Catherine's wedding is not a state occasion, and I would guess that if it was, they would have been there.

May I try and help, please?

It is not the custom and practice for Royal Couples to spend the evening before their marriage together. In the case of Charles and Diana, there was a firework party in St James's Park [from memory,don't think it was Hyde Park] at which Charles and other members of the Royal Family were present, but not Lady Diana who was at nearby Clarence House. [At the time she was reportedly watching the fireworks from her window with the Queen Mother and some of her family, but subsequently it has been claimed that Diana was left by herself at Clarence House, eating a meal all on her own off a tray in her room.]

I think that there are two reasons for the party tonight; firstly, Lady Elizabeth Anson often hosts a party at the time of Royal Weddings, although not necessarily on the eve of the ceremony. She gave a large party on the evening of Charles and Diana's Wedding in 1981- from memory it was at the Ritz - at which many of the British and Foreign Royal Families and Crowned Heads were present. I also remember that she organised a party after Andrew and Sarah's wedding in 1986 for friends and family, but that was somewhat controversial because Major Ronald Fergusson and his wife were not invited. The second reason for tonight's party is because it really is the best time for the [greatest] number of guests to mingle - tomorrow would be no good, because [unlike previous recent royal weddings held in the morning] William and Catherine, although marrying in the morning are actually holding a late night reception as well for SOME but not all of the Royal guests. [Sophie and Edward's wedidng was rather different, as it was a late afternoon wedding, and for a much smaller invited guestlist]

Hope this helps

Alex

Last edited:
Wait a minute, I thought Kate doing her own makeup was a joke! Oh my this isn't good.

I agree - it's all part of Catherine's reported 'desire for as little fuss as possible]. She did of course do her own make-up at her pre-wedding engagements with William, [and she has never had a stylist to advise on her wardrobe], but it's a bit different doing your make-up for royal enagements, but to contemplate doing your own for your wedding.....quite an undertaking because it is NOT a 'normal wedding make-up' that is required but actually something akin to photographic make-up, with all those bright hot electric tv lights in the Abbey.

Lighting aside, I think I would be leaving the job to a professional anyway - doing your day make up is ok, but on your wedding day, with the chance of emotions running high...... I also hope that Carole Middleton does not help - although her help would be well-intentioned no doubt, in my own humble opinion, I don't think that Carole Middleton is up to this type of assistance.

Alex

Loved Letizia's dress - she seems to always get it right for the big weddings. Also really liked Victoria's dress and the York girls particularly Eugenie.

Victoria looks so beautiful love the dress and the hair .

I was talking to an elderly lady earlier today, and she was commenting that now that Royals marry for love [rather than the dynastic reasons of the past] there is a very high standard of beauty amongst couples nowadays!

Alex

Maybe if we had a better picture of Charlene's we could decide better if we like it or not.

Nice photos of Lady Anson.

Loved Princess Michael's hair and dress.

Did Lady Anson lose a lot of weight?

I think Charlene looks lovely, feathers and all.

And Princess Michael looks gorgeous.

I have just seen a few pictures, but I want to say before starting this thread that Maria Theresa of Luxembourg, Victoria of Sweden, and Letizia of Spain all look AMAZING and I can't wait to see more! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

ETA: I also really like Charlene's dress. The only dress I don't care for is Sophie's. It looks shapeless and I don't like the bust area.

Last edited:
Letizia looked Stunning! Keep that one in the dress rotation (and throw out the pink ruffled skirt combo...)

Sofia looked like her normal elegant self.

QEII looked lovely, wish I had seen a bigger picture

Eugenie looked soo mature in her dress, at first I thought she was Prince Andrew's date!

Lastly, I didn't like Sophie's dress. The flaps on her chest looked like strange wings- ick.

I liked most of the women's outfits. It's nice to see them all dressed to the cue. They all were so pretty. I liked Charlene's look, I thought Victoria in red was beaming beauty as was the red that brought out the eyes, skin, and hair of gorgeous Sophie. I liked Queen Elizabeth in the blue and gold, I was enamored with the fairytale-like dress of Princess Letizia. Mathilde is often quite the eye catcher so it made me feel awoken somewhat with the red/orange. Eugenie seemed pretty to me. Tatiana is naturally gifted with looks. Good to see Queen Sonja. All in all a great show. Wow. I wish there were more photos but well the festivities will have us given more. Can't wait. Cheers. :flowers:

Gee,
I would like to have seen more coverage of the Windsors period. We didn't get to see any pictures of Princess Anne's family, except for a short BBC clip, and I would have loved to see the Dukes of Kent, Gloucester and their families. It is great to see all the foreign royals in the capital but I would love to see more coverage of the British royals. Maybe tomorrow perhaps?

I am actually surprised at how wonderful everyone looks, about the only two that I dont like very much is Charlene and Princess Beatrice. They look good, but not for this Dinner, a little too glitzy for my taste.

ISOPIX has some photos of Princess Anne, the Duke and Duchess of Kent, Countess of St. Andrews, Lady Marina-Charlotte, Lady Amelia, Lord & Lady Nicholas Windsor, the Duchess of Gloucester...however, for some reason i can't access the site right now...hopefully soon...

Why would you assume if it's true she's doing her own make-up, she's going to walk down the aisle looking like a dog's breakfast? Give the girl some credit, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom