The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

To the people who stayed up or got up early to watch the wedding. Have you also or plan to also buy the dvds?

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
To the people who stayed up or got up early to watch the wedding. Have you also or plan to also buy the dvds?
I got mine from Amazon.co.uk shortly after the wedding. It's not a part of my royalty/history collection.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I would love too. A friend that went to the US recently was able to buy it. but here I still haven't found it.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Nobility

I would love to buy it too! I regretted deeply not recording the event. A young relative was sharing how much she enjoyed the wedding. After watching the event Live and the TV replays - she has now taken to watching on YOU Tube.

After watching the Live coverage of the Monaco Princely wedding on CNN - I can now understand that oft-repeated saying 'No-one does pomp and ceremony better than the British'. The British Royal Wedding is just something else. The spectacular setting, the Majestic music with the sound reverbrating within the walls of the cathedral (unlike being lost in transalation when it is held outside), the wonderful fanfares, the military formations and the overall synchronisation and organization of the whole event is just unbelievable. But then there were the intimate moments between the bridal couple that touched and warmed our hearts. Truly magnificient!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Administrator

I purchased a DVD at Wal Mart. Its okay. I did tape it and deleted it....should have kept it on TiVo but I taped it on the wrong receiver (not the one were I could have transferred it to a DVD).....it was six hours long and I needed the space.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yeah, I got up at 1am to watch it and have seen clips on YouTube but saw it at Target this weekend and picked it up for $6. I couldn't pass it up at the price. If it were $15 or more, I would have likely passed. I'm surprised the price came down so low, so fast. But, it's great for me. That copy (BBC coverage) includes a 50min documentary on the couple through the years. Not all that comprehensive but nice to see footage I hadn't seen in years.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Commoner

They've had it on Amazon for around that price since the DVD came out. I wonder if the BBC were given limits on what they could charge for it. I keep meaning to buy it even though I'm not likely to watch it again.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:13 AM

Spot Tiddles (Free online documentary covering the Royal Wedding April 2011)

Hi all
I made a documentary film with a friend of mine in which we covered the royal wedding earlier this year. It's a combination of seriousness and comedy and we have released it for free on youtube. It really gives you an idea of what it was like to be there on the day. We also spontaneously interviewed many people so you get to see their real thoughts and feelings, their personal anecdotes and what their day was really like, and their real energy levels (as opposed to the stiff interviews you normally get). There was a dazzling array of people from around the world.

Check it out at:

Hope you like it and any comments and criticism would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Uzi
Old 12-24-2011, 10:01 PM

I was watching CNN yesterday and the Erin Burnett show did its Top 11 stories of 2011, and of course the wedding was one of them, listed at #9.

They showed a montage of the wedding, though they cut out the vows and showed only one kiss. But they showed one part that I really liked. When all was done and William and Catherine went back into the palace after the balcony scene, the Duchess briefly glanced back at the crowd with a smile to her face. The way I saw it, she was taking in her new life and happy to share that new life with the British people.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Serene Highness

Yes - the year end round-ups and photo montages are wonderful. Their first kiss on the balcony was a stand-out moment of the entire event. You describe that one moment when she looked back very nicely, Sonjapearl.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Serene Highness

I actually stayed up to watch it from beginning to end! I was awake at 3am(Atlantic time) to watch the royal wedding on the Internet and I loved every bit of it I loved Elton john's song and the royal vows and their kiss on the balcony of Buckingham palace 2x and the driving out of prince charles' car all of it was beautiful and I will always remmember it and people will remember 29 April 2011 when William and Kate are made king and Queen.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Heir Apparent

My favorite moments:

Harry sneaking a peek

When Will first saw Kate

The music-mostly "I was glad"

Eliza and Grace

The two kisses

The smile the queen gave when they bowed
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
From royal weddings to riots: The highs and lows of 2011
From royal weddings to riots: The highs and lows of 2011 | Mail Online

Quote:
William and Kate kiss voted top TV moment of 2011
William and Kate kiss voted top TV moment of 2011 | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

Quote:
Kate and William, Albert and Charlene, Sofia, Emma: All marriages of 2011
Kate et William, Albert et Charlene, Sofia, Emma : Tous les mariages de 2011

Google Google Translate
Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Elton John had a song? The only low point I will say about the day was Kate's hair.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Gentry

On watching the reruns of the wedding this weekend, and having seen various photos of Catherine over the past year, I have to say that I think it is time that she did something with all that hair. She should either have it dressed in a chignon every day, or cut it shorter. Perhaps she could donate it to a charity that makes wigs for cancer patients. She also needs to have her eye make-up softened. I normally like eyeliner, but she really has a heavy hand with it.

She is still a beautiful and classy representative for the BRF, however! She's done a fabulous job her first year out.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Aristocracy

My favourite pics of the day:
http://happyandglorious.net/2012/04/...the-sun-shone/
Old 10-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Part of me does not want to post this because this thread is filled with people expressing what they loved about the wedding, but I don't know where else to post and I'm not sure if a new thread is allowed in this particular sub-forum.

I was watching videos of the wedding on YouTube recently (because Guillaume and Stephanie's made me want to take a look at this one again) and I noticed something that really irked me. Why was Michael placing Catherine's hand in William's more than once during the wedding? To me, that is very archaic and seemed to say that Catherine was property that was being transferred from one male guardian to another. I don't think any of the other European royal weddings had this, not even Guillaume and Stephanie's, Victoria and Daniel's, or Frederik and Mary's.

It just really bothered me and I wonder who's idea was that. The Windsors? Are they that trapped in the past? Was it the Church of England? I thought they were much more progressive than that.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy

It is a traditional part of a Church of England wedding that the father 'gives away' the daughter
Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl
Part of me does not want to post this because this thread is filled with people expressing what they loved about the wedding, but I don't know where else to post and I'm not sure if a new thread is allowed in this particular sub-forum.

I was watching videos of the wedding on YouTube recently (because Guillaume and Stephanie's made me want to take a look at this one again) and I noticed something that really irked me. Why was Michael placing Catherine's hand in William's more than once during the wedding? To me, that is very archaic and seemed to say that Catherine was property that was being transferred from one male guardian to another. I don't think any of the other European royal weddings had this, not even Guillaume and Stephanie's, Victoria and Daniel's, or Frederik and Mary's.

It just really bothered me and I wonder who's idea was that. The Windsors? Are they that trapped in the past? Was it the Church of England? I thought they were much more progressive than that.
I think it is a part of many traditional weddings. My father (now gone) gave all 3 of us girls away. It may be arachic but its a memory we cherish. Sitting around talking the other day we found out he said the same thing to all of us just before we walked down the aisle: you're beautiful, I love you, and if you're having any doubts you don't have to do this -we can leave right now and go fishing( smile).
Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes it is part of a traditional wedding, but certainly not a requirement. In the Luxembourg case, although her elder brother walked her down the aisle, the couple were in fact legally married the previous day in their civil ceremony.