The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara04

Seems to me that King Constantin is related to Prince William, while Prince Albert is not related to the BRF at all. This may have had something to do with the seating arrangements.
Is it possible no assigned seats? Bc other guests had no assigned seating so maybe Royals sat in their section wherever they liked too

Constantin is also his godfather

And Albert is related to the BRF through some long ago relative- Ella explains www.royaltywithellakay.com

Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Courtier

I think they were seated alphabetically. Which is strange.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 PM

I agree. She is quite squeletal in that dress. She should have had a jacket or something. Her back looks awful.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
They were informing the British people of the beautiful indiginous flowers on display in the Abbey, the awe inspiring British music being played, the magnificent history of the Abbey itself. All these things are much more relevant in the BBC's mission to 'inform, educate and entertain' than pointing out princesses who do not and will never have any relevance in the lives of the British people in order to satisfy the very small number of people who may be interested.
They could have covered all of it. They could have made more use of split-screens at various points, and they could have recorded more footage of the guests for showing later on.

I echo Diarist's comments on the links between the royal families. Sure, many people are unaware, but this is not to say that they won't find these things interesting when told of them.

Unfortunately the BBC these days seems to be staffed by people with attitudes like yours. Perhaps you're one of them.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

may I ask why the king and queen of sweden or prince carl phillip or madeline attend the royal wedding with victoria and daniel?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24
may I ask why the king and queen of sweden or prince carl phillip or madeline attend the royal wedding with victoria and daniel?
The King and Queen were invited but otherwise busy so they sent Daniel and Victoria as representatives. Madeline is in NY but also they were not choosen by the King and Queen to represent Sweden, just the CP couple were
Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Is it possible no assigned seats? Bc other guests had no assigned seating so maybe Royals sat in their section wherever they liked too
Constantin is also his godfather

Unassigned seating is highly unlikely! King Constantine is still a "Majesty", though being an ex-monarch! The Prince of Monaco is not even a "Royal Highness", but "Serene Highness". So I assume the greek king still ranging before the Prince of Monaco when it comes to seating at a british royal event.
Kinf Constantine is a very close relative (and closest friend of Pr. Charles!)
of the brit. Royal Family - just remember the Duke of Edinburgh being a Prince of Greece before he married Princess Elizabeth in 1947!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Albert is the reigning monarch so I think we'll see a lot of royals at the wedding. At least I hope so:)
I hope the BRF sends someone other than Edward and Sophie Wessex.

Nothing against them, but they seem to be dispatched to all the European weddings. It would be nice to see someone else for a change!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

Nothing against them, but they seem to be dispatched to all the European weddings. It would be nice to see someone else for a change!
Fair point, but I would be surprised if anybody other than Edward & Sophie went.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Especially since the Wessex attended the Entrhonement ceremony of Albert.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Especially since the Wessex attended the Entrhonement ceremony of Albert.
Quite so, and that they have attended most of the European royal weddings in the last decade or so.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel

Who else would go?

Maybe the Duke of York should take his daughters. That would liven things up. A couple more crazy hats and maybe the British media would pay attention to the wedding.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Majesty

The Wessexes go because they are available, not offensive and represent the Queen well. They are also closest in age to the CP couples who have been getting married.

You wouldn't send Andrew as he has no partner.

You wouldn't send Anne and Tim as she will be busy getting ready for her own daughters wedding and her husband isn't HRH.

Charles and Camilla - again too much controversy - some foreign royals I think still have trouble with accepting Camilla.

In time William and Kate could go but at this point in time would be too much for the foreign media.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Courtier

IMO the BBC could easily have spent 30 seconds on foreign royalty without jeopardizing the national integrity of the average Briton! I hope that the well informed Brits (on non- UKroyalty!) on this forum will agree!

Queen Margrethe wore recycled clothes at the Mandarin-dinner as well as at the wedding itself. The evening gown looked like a mix & remake of old gala dresses and it wasn't one of her best moments. The blue coat-and-dress with the Teletubby hat has had its time and needs to be retired. IMO she was pushing her luck by wearing it for the wedding but she knew that the Brits couldn't tell - in case they got a glimpse of her!

Viv
Old 05-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Administrator

It would have been nice if BBC and CNN (the two channels I watched) could have spent some more time on the foreign royals. I think that was one of the best things about Victoria's wedding...you got to see the beautiful gowns and tiaras.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Courtier

Now you mention it; the TV-coverage of the Swedish wedding surpasses everything I've seen in that field so far!

Viv
Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You wouldn't send Andrew as he has no partner.
Erm..why not? The PoW went to several continental weddings alone, such as Norway, Spain and the Netherlands!

Viv
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok Ive heard a lot of complaints about the coverage of the Foreign Royals at this wedding and finally decided to look into what all the fuss was about. Isn't the blame for the lack of coverage more to do with the BBC than the BRF? I was just watching my recording of the wedding from E! and there was no mention of the Foreign Royals at all.
Was it too hard to cover them because they all arrived at the same time?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Ok Ive heard a lot of complaints about the coverage of the Foreign Royals at this wedding and finally decided to look into what all the fuss was about. Isn't the blame for the lack of coverage more to do with the BBC than the BRF? I was just watching my recording of the wedding from E! and there was no mention of the Foreign Royals at all.
Totally agree - any "blame" for the lack of foreign royal coverage should fall on the BBC, it seems almost silly to think otherwise. The BBC for the most part focused entirely on the actual wedding service; there weren't even shots of the entrance of the British royals.

I would have enjoyed to see the footage of when the foreign royals arrived at the Abbey and did their little photo ops outside on the red carpet. There was a very fast shot of the foreign royals were walking down the aisle, when the commentator identified "Princess Lalla Salma of Thailand", so perhaps it was a good thing it happened so quickly! Really, I think the BBC felt that a majority of their audience just wouldn't be interested in hearing a person rattle off the names of various Kings, Queens, Princes and Princesses (Being honest, I doubt they had a commentator who could do that). And it might be fair to say that people who were/are interested in such things could probably identify the foreign royals themselves and pause the wedding to say: hey look it's The Queen of Denmark! Yay Princess Maxima! Damn Prince Felipe...
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
Yup, the beeb probably had free reign on filming with very few restrictions that the royal family would have specified (ie. filmed from a certain distance and can only zoom in so much).
I wish they would have had some moments not seen on the day included on the DVD. Such as Michael Middelton lifting Kate's veil, or stuff like more extensive footage of Will and Harry greeting guests, and more extensive footage of the royal families arriving and chatting with each other in the Abbey.