Prince William and Catherine Middleton: Church Service - April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
You have to admit, the Queen certainly made the right decision regarding his wedding day uniform. The one he wore driving is not a good look IMO :lol:

And just for FYI, Monaco does not have an armed forces so Albert wearing a uniform and his father before him is odd to say the least. Apparently Albert served for a time in France's military but I'm not sure if that's true or not... :whistling:

I quite like the Irish Guards uniform he had on there, it's dark but imposing. I think William feels that bright colours do him no favours, but the dark uniform just would have been too depressing for such a happy day.

I suppose if Monaco don't have an Armed Forces it gave him a free reign to design whatever he wanted to wear for his wedding, he essentially had free reign - which makes it doubly awful that he chose to go with that white thing.

I think both albert and William could have chosen better for their wedding attire. I stand by that Harry had the better uniform that day.
But what uniform did he drive out in? I don't want to get my DVD and have to scan through it to find what he wore.
As for this honorary stuff it may look like putting on airs to some people, Americans, because they have done nothing to deserve receiving any military recognition. But I guess you could view it as being similar to colleges that give honorary degrees to people who have not taken classes or graduated from said colleges.

I actually posted a link to the uniform previously, but just for you, here it is again:

Prince William

I personally thought Harry's uniform looked too big for him, and too dark.

:previous: I agree.

Henry's uniform was very ill fitted. It swamped him and the aiguillette was abnormally large so it seemed (on his person, anyway).

Last edited:
But I guess you could view it as being similar to colleges that give honorary degrees to people who have not taken classes or graduated from said colleges.

But that is exactly the point. The queen does not want to honour her family members but the regiment. When Catherine hands out shamrocks on St. Patrick's day it is not to honour herself, but to personify the monarchy in this moment and to honour those who receive shamrocks or medals etc. from the hand of a member of the Royal family. A symbol of gratitude from the monarch and a gift to the regiment. So Catherine does the soldiers a service in recognition of their service to the kingdom which is personified by the members of HM's family. While the granting of an honorary degree by an university is an honour granted by the academics for a certain person, they deem worthy of being honoured.

It's a very different concept. One must understand that it is an honour to be recognized by HM so much that she makes one of her own their own. It's the fact that one of the Blood Royal or his spouse (who shares his social position) is willing to become a member of this regiment and thus part of their community. It's anachronistic but it has to do with the chivalrous idea of knighthood: on taking over the honorary command of a regiment the Royal attaches him- oder herself to this regiment and become part of it, thus raising the regiment as part of his or her community up to Royal splendour. Thus the soldiers toast their honorary commander on a visit because on toasting one of their own, they toast themselves.

I hope this is understandible?

I quite like the Irish Guards uniform he had on there, it's dark but imposing. I think William feels that bright colours do him no favours, but the dark uniform just would have been too depressing for such a happy day.

I suppose if Monaco don't have an Armed Forces it gave him a free reign to design whatever he wanted to wear for his wedding, he essentially had free reign - which makes it doubly awful that he chose to go with that white thing.

I'm pretty sure it was white as it was July and countries with tropical summers have white uniforms in the summer. Had he married in April like his father, he would have worn a dark uniform perhaps.

I agree with you about William's dark uniform being depressing, that's why I'm glad he didn't wear it that day, and also agree that Harry's looked way too big for him. It was quite obvious I thought, and a bit distracting.

William's dark uniform would have looked too grim for a wedding and I can't say I care for the ruffled front, either. I liked the red in comparison and felt the Queen went for a good choice. I could just imagine her holding up the two uniforms against him and telling him emphatically to wear the red!:lol:

Last edited:
It's not so much the fact that it's white (although it would've been better in ice white rather than cream), but just the cut and design of it looked so awful. It looked fake. White tropical uniforms can really work for some men (hello Harry in the Bahamas).

I can only assume that Harry asked for more room in his uniform for the wedding. The weather had been extremely hot in the lead up to the wedding and his uniform was very dark. Plus, Harry can get a bit red around the gills when he perspires. That seems to me to be the only excuse he had for such an ill-fitting tunic.

White tropical uniforms can really work for some men.

Now that's what I call debonair. I'd pick a white tropics military uniform anyday! They are divine. Very royal.

Now that's what I call debonair. I'd pick a white tropics military uniform anyday! They are divine. Very royal.

Would you pick it for Albert of Monaco though? That was the opposite of debonair.

Harry in tropical uniform was stupendous, and a perfect fit, unlike what he wore at the wedding.

Hmm, Albert did look like a walking tub of panna cotta I must confess, but to be honest, I think even the Prince Consort of Denmark looks distinguished in his tropical uniform and his expanding girth is notable and some!

It perhaps also depends on the indavidual and how they wear it, or rather, how it wears them. There is a particular stateliness about it that I don't consider to be be shared by the alternative uniform. White is both regal and commanding.

But, I digress..

Last edited:
EIIR said:
I actually posted a link to the uniform previously, but just for you, here it is again:

Prince William

I personally thought Harry's uniform looked too big for him, and too dark.

Whoa whoa whoa! That's the one he drove the car in? I could have sworn the one in the car was a dark blue. The black uniform is nice to look at and i love the colors but not too nice to get married in front of billions of people; I can just imagine how people would react. Until that event last year, I admit I have never seen that kind of uniform. I suppose that red just is not William's color and added to that the he uniform didn't appear to fit well that gives me the impression that William could have done better on his wedding day. He wasn't as bad as Prince Albert, I believe no man should get married in all white, least of all one who is Albert's size.

William's dark uniform would have looked too grim for a wedding and I can't say I care for the ruffled front, either. I liked the red in comparison and felt the Queen went for a good choice. I could just imagine her holding up the two uniforms against him and telling him emphatically to wear the red!:lol:

I agree with you. The black would have made one feel one was at a funeral (or the groom wasn't too happy about becoming a husband). The red tunic was very festive, and William looked great in it. I'm with you on the ruffles too. Jus...no :eek:.

Can anyone tell me the name of the people who sat in the front row with the Middleton's and in the row directly behind them. I'm going to assume it was family members ... but who?

Can anyone tell me the name of the people who sat in the front row with the Middleton's and in the row directly behind them. I'm going to assume it was family members ... but who?

If I'm not mistaken, they were Diana's family. The Spencer family.

The people with Mike, Carole & James were Mike's 4 brothers and their families. The Spencer were in the next section down across from the foreign royal sections. I assume Uncle Gary was stuck bethind a pillar somewhere:ROFLMAO:

Poor photoshop of their faces onto Peter and Autumn Philips

It is not like its hard to find a picture from their actual wedding day. Other than the outfits being totally wrong. William didn't have that much hair left when he got married .

I like the fact that Prince William and Catherine wrote their own prayer for the service.
The prayer began: "God our Father, we thank you for our families, for the love that we share and for the joy of our marriage."

The Right Reverend Richard Chartres, in his address declared:

"It is good that people in every continent are able to share in these celebrations because this is, as every wedding day should be, a day of hope."

Catherine and William's wedding day was absolutely a day of hope!! :tudorrose::tudorrose:

Catherine and her father Michael walked down the nave of Westminster Abbey to the hymn I Was Glad.
The hymn was composed for the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902.
I Was Glad was sung at the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer in 1981.

In People magazine, the following statement was written:

"I felt a deep spirit of prayer," Scotland's Cardinal O'Brien says of the traditional, hour-long service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's shown on the video but I wondered if Prince Harry and Pippa Middleton bowed/curtseyed to the Queen after William and Catherine.

Back
Top Bottom