Prince William and Catherine Middleton: Church Service - April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there a reason why Samantha Cameron did not wear a hat?
I thought that was very disrespectful.
someone said that she dosent like to wear hats but the barette wasnt the best choice

…Who in the world is Tara Palmer?

Tara is the daughter of Charles Palmer-Tomkinson, a longtime friend of Prince Charles. In 1988, Tara's mother, Patti, was skiing with the prince at Klosters when they were caught in an avalanche. She was injured but survived while another friend was killed.

I have to agree on the lip reading. There IS no way to let it be verifiable and true. Even if you ask the person who was speaking- they could easily lie. Therefore- its not anything you can trust.

I think privacy is something that should be considered when we are dealing with public figures- too much public attention isn't healthy and can be quite damaging I think. A person can't live in the public eye 100% of the time and not be seriously affected by it in a bad way. As a result they find some way to deal with it- and quite a bit of the time that source of stress relief is not a positive way of dealing with stress.

I have to wonder- it is considered rude for a man to wear a hat indoors however its expected that women will wear theirs and keep it as part of their outfit.

I also just find myself wondering how the difference came about. I can't say I run into any circumstances personally wear a hat is required for myself (aside from when it is snowing or very sunny!)

While I would normally say that the family should have a reasonable expectation of privacy, I remembered that Prince Philip's mother was an excellent lip-reader! She reportedly could read lips in a couple different languages and could pick up on conversations from across the room just by watching the speakers.

Thank you very much Osipi. Those photos are spectacular. One even shows some of the embroidered detail on the train, and the intricate folds of the gown.

I see that Mrs Cameron was in a back row so any hat wouldn't have obscured another's view. Still,she probably didn't know that.

Beatrice is wearing a pink crab on her head. thats what I first thought it resembled,
lol red lobster called and they lost a crab...anyone seen a pink crab lately (just a
groaner of a joke)

The middle finger.

Actually a Bronx cheer as I understand it is also known as a raspberry. A big "plbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbts". Archie Bunker in the old sit-com "All in the Family" was a master at it.

I have to wonder- it is considered rude for a man to wear a hat indoors however its expected that women will wear theirs and keep it as part of their outfit.

I also just find myself wondering how the difference came about. I can't say I run into any circumstances personally wear a hat is required for myself (aside from when it is snowing or very sunny!)

I'm not very informed about the Church of England but I grew up in the Roman Catholic Church and it was a MUST that women wore head covering of some sort. I think this went the way of a lot of outmoded ideas during the 60s or 70s.... I really don't remember.

William's job is to be a Search and Rescue Pilot.
He probably needs to gain further training, and the Falkland Islands are bound to present more challenges than at RAF Valley, Anglesey.

W&K are living in the same way as thousands of couples/families in the Armed Forces.

It was always said that his unit of the SAR was due to be rotated to service in the Falklands this year so this isn't a surprise.

I have to agree on the lip reading. There IS no way to let it be verifiable and true. Even if you ask the person who was speaking- they could easily lie. Therefore- its not anything you can trust.

I agree that it is an invasion of their privacy to have professional lip readers do this but must admit that I have tried to do it myself - and probably fail massively but it is fun to guess - but to have someone paid to do it - no way.

I think privacy is something that should be considered when we are dealing with public figures- too much public attention isn't healthy and can be quite damaging I think. A person can't live in the public eye 100% of the time and not be seriously affected by it in a bad way. As a result they find some way to deal with it- and quite a bit of the time that source of stress relief is not a positive way of dealing with stress.

I agree totally - privacy needs to be respected but in this day of mobile phones and all those other social media and networking sites etc it will be harder and harder to either ensure privacy or to stop someone who wants to make it public e.g. a person passes through the town where William and Kate live and takes a photo which they then send to their family but it is then in 'cyberspace' and we all know how secure that is.

My grandmother always taught me that the etiquette was that a lady wore a hat indoors until such time as she had access to a mirror to check her hair and face were done properly.

As men don't need to care about these things they don't wear hats inside.

It was always said that his unit of the SAR was due to be rotated to service in the Falklands this year so this isn't a surprise.
William's job is to be a Search and Rescue Pilot.
He probably needs to gain further training, and the Falkland Islands are bound to present more challenges than at RAF Valley, Anglesey.

W&K are living in the same way as thousands of couples/families in the Armed Forces.

I'm not saying for him not to do but just so early in the marriage couldn't it have been later on. It's prob not Wills fault he prob didn't choose when it was going to happen. Also I'm not saying this situation is special to Wills and Kate I'm very aware other families go through it but thank you very much they don't have the world watching their every move nor do they have the weight of the monarchy's future on their shoulders. It's just that after everything we heard this past weekend I was so positive and now I'm just a bit scared just with everything we know with what happened with Andrew and Sarah when Andrew was sent to Falklands. Not that the same will happen to Wills and Kate but it's still a tricky thing and IMO I think it's normal to feel nervous for them since the early months/weeks are very critical part in the marriage. If this is true will Kate be allowed to see Wills at all? I mean 2 months is a long time!

Oh for Pete's sake,it's the Sun,the biggest rag around!And then still some fall for their nonsense!

Not true.Not a single syllable!Tamam!?:whistling::p

In light of the most recent events that's even led to some discussion and speculation on here of why William and Kate delayed their honeymoon (see the honeymoon thread for a really bad pun by yours truly), I would say that everything is up in the air right now.

I assume if this is true the palace will have to announce it since 2 months is a long time and if we didn't know any better it would have probably turned out be another "where's Harry"? fiasco. If they don't deny it then it's prob true and will be announced at a later date.

I'm not saying for him not to do but just so early in the marriage couldn't it have been later on. It's prob not Wills fault he prob didn't choose when it was going to happen. Also I'm not saying this situation is special to Wills and Kate I'm very aware other families go through it but thank you very much they don't have the world watching their every move nor do they have the weight of the monarchy's future on their shoulders. It's just that after everything we heard this past weekend I was so positive and now I'm just a bit scared just with everything we know with what happened with Andrew and Sarah when Andrew was sent to Falklands. Not that the same will happen to Wills and Kate but it's still a tricky thing and IMO I think it's normal to feel nervous for them since the early months/weeks are very critical part in the marriage. If this is true will Kate be allowed to see Wills at all? I mean 2 months is a long time!

Had Andrew even met Sarah when he went to the Falklands? He went there in 1982 - during the war and while Diana was pregnant with William.

William would have known that this was coming as it was made public knowledge a couple of years ago - including how upset Argentina was about the prospect of William being stationed there at all so William would have known that this was coming when he proposed and set the date. These events even point to the timing to coincide so that she could be protected better by the family rather than left to fend for herself while he was gone - and the inevitable press intrusion to how she was coping without him.

My bad Andrew wasn't in Falklands at the time but Sarah specifically mentioned that it was the seperation in the early years of marriage that hurt them the most. The seperation being due to his job. Was it confirmed years ago? I had heard it was just a rumour and they felt it was dangerous for William to even go there. I dunno what Kate's relationship is with the family but judging by Sarah's book when Andrew wasn't home she used to throw herself into more charity work to make herself feel better. I don't think she mentioned the family. I think she said something like the nights were the worst. William will be back obviously it's not as intense as Andrew when he was in the navy(right he was in navy wasn't he? I'm not messing up the brothers' careers am I?) but still it's prob not easy either on the marriage itself.

Does anyone know why the duchess dips her head while Prince William was saluting while in the carriage procession? Why did both Prince William and Harry not wearing their sword throughout the ceremony?

Does anyone know why the duchess dips her head while Prince William was saluting while in the carriage procession? Why did both Prince William and Harry not wearing their sword throughout the ceremony?

She bows her head out of respect as he salutes.

I personally have no worries for William and Catherine when he goes on his 10 week stint to the Falklands. I think/would like to think that Catherine is level headed enough to throw herself into getting on with it and doing as much as she can to fill her time so the stint goes by quickly. She has a very supportive family and friends and she's a strong woman.

I know that Sarah, found it very difficult to cope with Andrew being away. On the one hand, it was not as if she didn't know about his job and time away before she married him, but on the other hand he was away constantly an awful lot of the time. She also had to deal with the pressure of carrying on official engagements and adjusting to her new life that a year previously she knew nothing of. Catherine has sort of been in "royal circles" and royal way of life for many years so the adjustment may well be less of a shock to the system!

Times have changed and expectations of Catherine are different to how they were 25 years ago. And of course, she has the example to look to of all the other forces wives who do a wonderful job "keeping the home-fires burning".

Why did both Prince William and Harry not wearing their sword throughout the ceremony?

Weapons are not allowed in churches. In Sweden the "entrance" to the church is called "the weapon house" (porch) because that was the place where the visitors to the church left their swords or similar before entering the "holy room"... I guess its the same in GB

wow! after this weekend of royal wedding euphoria i have to say that i'm more than delighted. kate was a lovely bride. i love her dress, her choice of designer couldn't have been better (modern and forward thinking yet british and young). it was great the queen lent her the halo tiara, i was hoping it was something hidden in the vaults for such a grand day.
the ambiance in london was absolutely dynamic and everyone was clearly having a special day.

i was just checking the videos and you can see that in the videos (YouTube - KATE MIDDLETON LEAVING THE GORING HOTEL.ROYAL WEDDING DAY) a lady gets in the car to photograph catherine when she gets into the car. i wonder who she was? what about the lady who rides the car with them and the driver? was she a security officer?

it's a shame details on the wedding speeches didn't appear, i would have loved to hear michael middleton's or harry's!
and how did pippa do? it seems that everyone is talking about her now :)

Last edited:
...a lady gets in the car to photograph catherine when she gets into the car. i wonder who she was? what about the lady who rides the car with them and the driver? was she a security officer?

The first lady mentioned is probably their personal photographer, taking pictures for their private album. As for the lady sitting in front, next to the driver, yep, that's her personal bodyguard--she has been seen in other pictures with Catherine in the past. If you look at other royals in their cars, the person riding shotgun in front is usually their bodyguard. Also they had a Range Rover behind them which I assume are additional security folks just in case.

Tara is the daughter of Charles Palmer-Tomkinson, a longtime friend of Prince Charles. In 1988, Tara's mother, Patti, was skiing with the prince at Klosters when they were caught in an avalanche. She was injured but survived while another friend was killed.

While I would normally say that the family should have a reasonable expectation of privacy, I remembered that Prince Philip's mother was an excellent lip-reader! She reportedly could read lips in a couple different languages and could pick up on conversations from across the room just by watching the speakers.

It was quite normal for Philip's mother to be an excellent lipreader since, as far as I know, she was congenitally deaf. Lipreading was a needed skill for her.

Back
Top Bottom