Prince William and Catherine Middleton: Church Service - April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watching some of the replays, it appeared that as the royals were leaving Westminster Abbey, the Queen allowed Prince Philip to get into the carriage before her. Normally, it's the other way around since she outranks him, but I remember her doing the same with Diana's father, Earl Spencer, because of his health issues. Did anyone else catch that, or was I imagining it?

I saw that as well, I also liked how he helped his wife out of the carriage at the palace.

The emotion WAS there...the stolen glances and smiles, trembling voices and hands, the Archbishop reading the beautiful prayer the couple composed themselves.

It was tasteful and low-key and classy...the way it SHOULD have been.

There are some things that are so private they should not be shared..especially not on TV in front of a global audience.

Philip usually gets in first so that she can get out first.

I just heard that the trees in the church are going to be planted at highgrove.

The emotion WAS there...the stolen glances and smiles, trembling voices and hands, the Archbishop reading the beautiful prayer the couple composed themselves.

There are some things that are so private they should not be shared..especially not on TV in front of a global audience.

I could not have said it better. I thought they conducted themselves with decorum and propriety.

The King of Greece said up close Catherine looked relaxed and radiated love to William ....he said they did exchange many loving glances through out

His marriage advice- if the groom is wrong he should admit it immediatly and if he is right he should never tell ;) Cute advice!

One of the few things I did NOT enjoy about this wedding were the trees in the Abbey. I thought it would look more impressive than it did...but they just seemed out of place to me.

I know I am in the minority, but I wish they had not been there. :ermm:

The wedding service was short and simple - because that is what a normal Anglican service is like. The bride and groom were restrained - but that is what is expected in Britain. I watched it all live, and felt that there was a lot of communication between them in a very subtle way. With the cameras on them from all angles, they had to be very careful in their expressions. In no way did it come across to me that there were any problems between them!!

I also was sorry that more attention was not given to the foreign royals. But other posters are right - the British really do not know who they are, and the media know even less. Actually, the British media do not cover our own RF in much detail, and certainly never cover anything to do with other RFs (well, Grace Kelly's wedding was an exception, and that was because she was GK!). Prince Charles' and Camilla's trip to Portugal, Spain and Morocco recently was almost entirely ignored by the home media - such a pity!

I believe Harry said to William 'Just wait till you see her.' William said 'You're beautiful' to Catherine, and then made Mr Middleton and her laugh by saying 'This was meant to be a small family wedding.'

I thoroughly enjoyed my day - and must now get to bed before I fall asleep at the computer!

Yep. You summed it up perfectly.

I'm looking at photos and there are so many moments that I didn't see (like her father removing the veil). I wish the camera hadn't cut away so much.

I know during the service, quite a few people remarked how this was totally unlike Victoria and Daniel's wedding last year. As much as that wedding was beautiful (and it was), some of it was just schmaltzy and OTT, IMO. I mean, the pop song being sung in the cathedral was just too much for me. She was beautiful, he was handsome, overall it was a lovely wedding, but it was a little too........touchy-feely. I don't think they were trying too hard or putting on an act because I truly believe they're just like that, but it was more like what you'd see at an everyday wedding where the couple writes their own vows or something.

I agree, their secret smiles and playful glances were my favorite part of the wedding aside from her dress. I'm surprised that some people didn't notice it, there were several. There seems to be a true intimacy and friendship between them. It is subtle and very loving in my opinion.

^^ I agree, BritishSwede! Anyone who thinks they were unhappy to be there missed an awful lot of eye contact they had with each other throughout the ceremony. It's not inconsistent to say that they were happy to be getting married and, at the same time, terribly nervous about the circumstances. But happy they clearly were.

I also loved that as they exchanged their vows, they turned and looked at each other. Charles and Diana looked at the officiant.

ETA -- The monarchy got very lucky in finding this young woman. She has not put a foot wrong since the engagement day. Although not born royal, she was born TO BE royal!

Last edited:
Victoria's wedding contrasted with William and Kate's

I know during the service, quite a few people remarked how this was totally unlike Victoria and Daniel's wedding last year. As much as that wedding was beautiful (and it was), some of it was just schmaltzy and OTT, IMO. I mean, the pop song being sung in the cathedral was just too much for me. She was beautiful, he was handsome, overall it was a lovely wedding, but it was a little too........touchy-feely. I don't think they were trying too hard or putting on an act because I truly believe they're just like that, but it was more like what you'd see at an everyday wedding where the couple writes their own vows or something.

Sister Morphine: Here is something with which I can agree with you wholeheartedly! I found V & D's a little lacking in gravitas, although it was lovely, and I agree that it had touches of schmaltz. William and Kate's wedding was full of substance and I also thought the two were very in sync with each other, even if they weren't particularly "touchy-feely," which would have been, IMHO, out of place in a "high church" Anglican ceremony.

^^ I agree, BritishSwede! Anyone who thinks they were unhappy to be there missed an awful lot of eye contact they had with each other throughout the ceremony. It's not inconsistent to say that they were happy to be getting married and, at the same time, terribly nervous about the circumstances. But happy they clearly were.

I also loved that as they exchanged their vows, they turned and looked at each other. Charles and Diana looked at the officiant.

ETA -- The monarchy got very lucky in finding this young woman. She has not put a foot wrong since the engagement day. Although not born royal, she was born TO BE royal!

I love that! Perfect words. :flowers:

If this question has been asked, please forgive me, and send me to the correct place to find my answer. On the carriage ride back to the Palace every time the new Duke would salute, the new Duchess would bow her head, and when the salute was over, she would raise her head. It happened twice. And I was wondering why she bowed her head?

I believe they passed a memorial to fallen soldiers and perhaps the second time was to the men standing guard? IDK about the second but the first was pointed out.

They did not looked bored. As a teacher, I do know bored when I see it. At times, especially during the homily or whatever that was called, Prince William looked very thoughtful.

Great choice of reading, from Romans, I thought - said to the world (and to the couple) exactly what needed to be said; especially the part about not pretending to possess more wisdom than one actually possesses.

I thought the couple seemed properly married: respectful, even awed in the presence of the service, kind, humble and gentle with each other. Helping each other through the service, after undoubtedly several grueling days of getting ready.

I'd also like to say that the British certainly know how to do a wedding, with restraint, dignity and aplomb, all characteristics that many Americans know longer notice or appreciate.

Bravo, it was a marvelous day - and it was wonderful to see the pair gradually unwind and feel more relaxed by the time they got to the balcony.

You know, I loved CP Victoria's wedding...it's one of my top three or four of all time.

But that pop song in the Cathedral rubbed me the wrong way too...I mean come on people, this is a house of worship, not a concert hall!:sad::sad:. They should have saved it for the reception...it didn't seem "right" in church.

It was the one flaw in an otherwise beautiful, romantic Royal wedding.

PrincessKaimi...I completely agree..they didn't look bored at all. They looked reverent and attentive, and they obviously took great care in selecting the readings from Scripture because they couldn't have been more poignant and appropriate.

Sad to agree with you about restraint and dignity becoming unrecognizable in American life...but it's so true.

Last edited:
Mrsbugman,
I think that happened when they passed the Cenotaph, and maybe some other monument likewise. The Cenotaph is a monument to honor those who lost their lives in service during WW I, if I'm not mistaken.
Wonderful day, wonderful occasion, moved people all over the world, even here in Brasil. Gorgeous bride, dapper groom, enchanted audience. A historic day, and a very merry occasion for british people.
Within the closest Royal Family the most elegant was HRH Prince Edwards wife, the Countess of Essex, in my "non expert" opinion. Lovely to see HRH Lady Louise, and a pity the little boy is too small for these occasions.

I confess I was a bit disappointed at the lack of coverage of the arrival of the other Royals. I was looking forward to that part and I don't think it would have hurt to spent five or ten minutes covering them, but hopefully I'll find pics of them somewhere.

I thought Kate looked wonderful. Her dress was elegant and beautiful and I thought she handled it all very well.

Yes, me too! I kept wanting to see the arrival of the other royals, and I barely saw any of them. I felt like the cameras were always focused on William and Kate, which is understandable, but I found that they barely even showed the bridesmaids and page boys. The networks obviously weren't catering to an audience of royal watchers.

Kate's dress was very much what I expected from her - it is "her style": classic. As I'm sure others have written, it reminded me of Queen Elizabeth's wedding gown as well as Princess Grace's.

I thought the wedding service was very nice; the music was beautiful and the avenue of trees was a very English touch. The processional music may be my favourite processional music from any royal wedding.

Other thoughts on the wedding: I thought William was relaxed and really happy. Kate was happy, too, but very reserved in contrast to other royal brides like Crown Princess Victoria. I didn't watch Victoria's wedding, just saw clips and photographs, and I suppose I would prefer understated rather than over-the-top. Still, if the wedding lacked anything, from my perspective, I think it was a show of personality from Kate. I believe she was happy and it did show, but I thought that even Queen Elizabeth (who is a reserved person) seemed to glow on her wedding day in a way that Kate somehow didn't.

I don't really know how to explain it. I feel that Kate knows how to be picture-perfect, almost to a fault, but it means that she loses some naturalness. Her dress was beautiful, but I thought the bodice was a little too tight and she was a little too thin; and I thought she also could have eased up on her makeup. Oh well. I think that's just Kate's personality. Maybe she will become more relaxed in time.

Last edited:
Oh! I mentioned the Countess of Essex as the most elegant in the "closest" Royal Family, but of course with the exception of the Queen! Many can criticize her style, but she is, in my opinion Nobility incarnated: she's regal, noble, but also simple. She has a style of her own, and can do no wrong! Besides all that she's 85, for God sake! Don't expect her to try an spetacular fascinator! Loved her looks and her good spirits at the ceremony.

Another little thing I noticed:

When Kate curtsied, she did not incline her head. She held the Queen's gaze, with a big smile on her face. The Queen did not look displeased. :)

I'm just so in love with how Prince William always tries to make Kate comfortable and always tries to connect with her. Right when she gets up to him, he and Harry say something funny - and nice. What came across to me is the intense love and connection that they have. I love how poised she was (she knew billion people watch her up close in HD), and we know William would rather get married in a small country wedding. But their strong, very special and unique connection shown through. Kate's charm is her smile. And that naturally came out a lot. Her mere presence was engaging. People here in the states like that she's a bit mysterious, poised but with a great warm smile. It's not either of them to be all touchy and feely and I'm so glad they stuck with tradition.

I think the Queen and Phillip really like her.

Back
Top Bottom