The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post

You have to admit, the Queen certainly made the right decision regarding his wedding day uniform. The one he wore driving is not a good look IMO

And just for FYI, Monaco does not have an armed forces so Albert wearing a uniform and his father before him is odd to say the least. Apparently Albert served for a time in France's military but I'm not sure if that's true or not...
I quite like the Irish Guards uniform he had on there, it's dark but imposing. I think William feels that bright colours do him no favours, but the dark uniform just would have been too depressing for such a happy day.

I suppose if Monaco don't have an Armed Forces it gave him a free reign to design whatever he wanted to wear for his wedding, he essentially had free reign - which makes it doubly awful that he chose to go with that white thing.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think both albert and William could have chosen better for their wedding attire. I stand by that Harry had the better uniform that day.
But what uniform did he drive out in? I don't want to get my DVD and have to scan through it to find what he wore.
As for this honorary stuff it may look like putting on airs to some people, Americans, because they have done nothing to deserve receiving any military recognition. But I guess you could view it as being similar to colleges that give honorary degrees to people who have not taken classes or graduated from said colleges.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I actually posted a link to the uniform previously, but just for you, here it is again:

Prince William

I personally thought Harry's uniform looked too big for him, and too dark.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree.

Henry's uniform was very ill fitted. It swamped him and the aiguillette was abnormally large so it seemed (on his person, anyway).

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
But I guess you could view it as being similar to colleges that give honorary degrees to people who have not taken classes or graduated from said colleges.
But that is exactly the point. The queen does not want to honour her family members but the regiment. When Catherine hands out shamrocks on St. Patrick's day it is not to honour herself, but to personify the monarchy in this moment and to honour those who receive shamrocks or medals etc. from the hand of a member of the Royal family. A symbol of gratitude from the monarch and a gift to the regiment. So Catherine does the soldiers a service in recognition of their service to the kingdom which is personified by the members of HM's family. While the granting of an honorary degree by an university is an honour granted by the academics for a certain person, they deem worthy of being honoured.

It's a very different concept. One must understand that it is an honour to be recognized by HM so much that she makes one of her own their own. It's the fact that one of the Blood Royal or his spouse (who shares his social position) is willing to become a member of this regiment and thus part of their community. It's anachronistic but it has to do with the chivalrous idea of knighthood: on taking over the honorary command of a regiment the Royal attaches him- oder herself to this regiment and become part of it, thus raising the regiment as part of his or her community up to Royal splendour. Thus the soldiers toast their honorary commander on a visit because on toasting one of their own, they toast themselves.

I hope this is understandible?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I quite like the Irish Guards uniform he had on there, it's dark but imposing. I think William feels that bright colours do him no favours, but the dark uniform just would have been too depressing for such a happy day.

I suppose if Monaco don't have an Armed Forces it gave him a free reign to design whatever he wanted to wear for his wedding, he essentially had free reign - which makes it doubly awful that he chose to go with that white thing.
I'm pretty sure it was white as it was July and countries with tropical summers have white uniforms in the summer. Had he married in April like his father, he would have worn a dark uniform perhaps.

I agree with you about William's dark uniform being depressing, that's why I'm glad he didn't wear it that day, and also agree that Harry's looked way too big for him. It was quite obvious I thought, and a bit distracting.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

William's dark uniform would have looked too grim for a wedding and I can't say I care for the ruffled front, either. I liked the red in comparison and felt the Queen went for a good choice. I could just imagine her holding up the two uniforms against him and telling him emphatically to wear the red!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's not so much the fact that it's white (although it would've been better in ice white rather than cream), but just the cut and design of it looked so awful. It looked fake. White tropical uniforms can really work for some men (hello Harry in the Bahamas).

I can only assume that Harry asked for more room in his uniform for the wedding. The weather had been extremely hot in the lead up to the wedding and his uniform was very dark. Plus, Harry can get a bit red around the gills when he perspires. That seems to me to be the only excuse he had for such an ill-fitting tunic.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
White tropical uniforms can really work for some men.
Now that's what I call debonair. I'd pick a white tropics military uniform anyday! They are divine. Very royal.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Now that's what I call debonair. I'd pick a white tropics military uniform anyday! They are divine. Very royal.
Would you pick it for Albert of Monaco though? That was the opposite of debonair.

Harry in tropical uniform was stupendous, and a perfect fit, unlike what he wore at the wedding.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Hmm, Albert did look like a walking tub of panna cotta I must confess, but to be honest, I think even the Prince Consort of Denmark looks distinguished in his tropical uniform and his expanding girth is notable and some!

It perhaps also depends on the indavidual and how they wear it, or rather, how it wears them. There is a particular stateliness about it that I don't consider to be be shared by the alternative uniform. White is both regal and commanding.

But, I digress..

Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
I actually posted a link to the uniform previously, but just for you, here it is again:

Prince William

I personally thought Harry's uniform looked too big for him, and too dark.
Whoa whoa whoa! That's the one he drove the car in? I could have sworn the one in the car was a dark blue. The black uniform is nice to look at and i love the colors but not too nice to get married in front of billions of people; I can just imagine how people would react. Until that event last year, I admit I have never seen that kind of uniform. I suppose that red just is not William's color and added to that the he uniform didn't appear to fit well that gives me the impression that William could have done better on his wedding day. He wasn't as bad as Prince Albert, I believe no man should get married in all white, least of all one who is Albert's size.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
William's dark uniform would have looked too grim for a wedding and I can't say I care for the ruffled front, either. I liked the red in comparison and felt the Queen went for a good choice. I could just imagine her holding up the two uniforms against him and telling him emphatically to wear the red!
I agree with you. The black would have made one feel one was at a funeral (or the groom wasn't too happy about becoming a husband). The red tunic was very festive, and William looked great in it. I'm with you on the ruffles too. Jus...no .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Courtier

Can anyone tell me the name of the people who sat in the front row with the Middleton's and in the row directly behind them. I'm going to assume it was family members ... but who?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Can anyone tell me the name of the people who sat in the front row with the Middleton's and in the row directly behind them. I'm going to assume it was family members ... but who?
If I'm not mistaken, they were Diana's family. The Spencer family.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
The people with Mike, Carole & James were Mike's 4 brothers and their families. The Spencer were in the next section down across from the foreign royal sections. I assume Uncle Gary was stuck bethind a pillar somewhere
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Did a little bit of checking and found the seating plan for the wedding. :)

Royal Wedding Seating Plan at Westminster Abbey | The Royal Wedding 2011 - Prince William & Kate Middleton
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Majesty

Watch The Royal Wedding 2011 Coverage Again Here:
AP Live coverage of the Royal Wedding

It provides Raw Live Feed of the Royal Wedding.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
Royal Wedding - Wedding Guests And Party Make Their Way To Westminster Abbey

Getty Images - Browser non supportato rilevato

PPE Agency
Getty Image 113272529
The photo of Catherine holding her father Michael's hand is spectacular! Catherine's smile is radiant. Michael was truly the proud father!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Commoner

I came across a wedding picture of Prince William & Catherine and I am totally mystified! Is this a good photoshop or am I missing something? About the only thing that is the same as the real wedding is their faces. Anyone have an explanation?

http://www.totalwraponline.com/2011/...-weddings.html

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding