Catherine Middleton's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She looked beautiful, and this dress was very much her style. I admit I was a little disappointed. I was expecting a little more....I don't know! Seemed like something was lacking. Having said that, she really did glow and looked so happy. And William did too! She is a beautiful young woman, and I wish them both every happiness.

Has anyone mentioned Catherine's puny little bouquet, yet? I really thought they could have done more with that. It didn't have to be BIG, but it could have had some larger flowers in it, and/or some color. Wondering why she made that choice?

Please could I supplement this with a bit of information?; for Royal Weddings [and indeed many other traditional formal British Weddings], bouquets are meant to be predominantly white, sometimes with a tiny bit of gold, and of course some folliage is permissable.

I liked the dress very much with two very minor reservations, whch I hope that I may be respectfully be allowed to note: I think that the deep V neck was just a shade lower than it should have been for a very formal Westiminster Abbey Royal Wedding, and I also think that she needed another layer of material around the bodice; looking at some of the photos on the web, you can see just a little too much of the outline of what I will discreetly call 'her figure'.

Otherwise, it was a good dress - and at least it did not crease, unlike Diana's!

Alex

I totally agree. The wedding dress had written "This is who I am/This is me" over it. Splendid choice.

I agree with both of you. I said in the musings thread that I might not like Catherine's choice of gown, but that I was sure it would be elegant and in good taste. I am delighted to say that not only did it have the aforementioned attributes, but that I was personally very taken with it as well!

She has good taste!!!

rawsilk

Last edited:
The Duchess looked every bit like the future Queen that she is! Perhaps the haters are looking too critically at some of the individual aspects of the look... I think the overall look was VERY Royal and my boyfriend and I both said "Wow!" when she was getting out of the car, the wind blowing with that stunning veil, and the nod to Grace Kelly... Just amazing...

Please could I supplement this with a bit of information?; for Royal Weddings [and indeed many other traditional formal British Weddings], bouquets are meant to be predominantly white, sometimes with a tiny bit of gold, and of course some folliage is permissable.

I liked the dress very much with two very minor reservations, whch I hope that I may be respectfully be allowed to note: I think that the deep V neck was just a shade lower than it should have been for a very formal Westiminster Abbey Royal Wedding, and I also think that she needed another layer of material around the bodice; looking at some of the photos on the web, you can see just a little too much of the outline of what I will discreetly call 'her figure'.

Otherwise, it was a good dress - and at least it did not crease, unlike Diana's!

Alex

Your point was the first thing I noticed - what I initially took for a poorly done bodice. However, on my tv, and in closer up pictures, I saw it was a lace pattern to resemble rosettes, not anything from the human anatomy. Probably not the best idea to have lace rosettes "right there", I agree. Otherwise, I thought she looked simply fabulous.

Catherine's bouquet was designed to have a lot of meaning:

The bride chose her flowers for their significance to the Royal Family, the Middletons and the language of flowers.
Sweet William means gallantry, lily-of-the-valley means return of happiness, hyacinth symbolises constancy of love, while myrtle is the emblem of marriage and love.
There is also ivy for fidelity; marriage; wedded love; friendship and affection.

Catherine's bouquet was designed to have a lot of meaning:
Someone said a lot of thought went into this wedding and I think it shows. It was exactly what they wanted as they wanted. And the more I see the Duchess's (I love that!!!) wedding gown, the more I love it. My mom said she want's her next wedding gown to look just like that!!!:lol:

Last edited:
The understated simplicity of the dress, the tiara and the bouquet are all in keeping with the young couple's values. They do not want elaborate, elevated, over-the-top, haute couture, which obviously some onlookers did fantasize about and did want.

It was said that Catherine was very aware of the economic times, and how it would look if she went for some sort of world record bouquet or even a huge bouquet. How odd it would have looked had she worn something avant-garde after years of wearing her own simple, tailored style. She was in keeping with what her family wore, she was herself. Bringing her own true self to the altar to marry was the most important thing she could have done on this day.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's good to think beyond the surface of the clothes into what is actually going on, worldwide and in England, and in that Abbey. The service was dignified, somewhat austere - and the living trees instead of cut flowers signal a change in the way even Royals are looking at resources.

Every single person there could be critiqued on some aspect of what they wore (Prince William could have worn a different uniform and the Queen didn't have to wear primrose, etc., etc.) but the overall effect was of a unified and modest Royal Family, rather than a bunch of nouveau riche millionaires throwing their money at the world. The service itself was lovely, the reading was well-chosen, the music was wondrous, and the young couple took it all very seriously.

England should be proud of its young Royals, and particularly of the new Duchess of Cambridge, whose intelligence, discernment, inner confidence and regal bearing won the day. That's what it was about, for me, the total effect. Of course, I was in favor of that dress style (couldn't have hoped for more in the detailing of the back of the dress, it was perfectly proportionate to the Abbey, especially when she was kneeling) and the fact that some people think it looked like it could have been in a "country church" is exactly what Kate was going for - hence the trees.

She wanted a wedding that suited her. I am so proud of her for choosing the right white, the delicate but not overwrought lace, the simple sleeves, the neckline that suits her best, the veil that did not overwhelm. She looked so much more beautiful than anyone else there (including Pippa, who was darling).

And lastly, I was so glad there were no blue bridesmaid's dresses, and that she had the simple cream and white theme (with those little page's uniforms echoing those of the Prince of C and the Prince of E).

Bravo, Kate - your dress is anything but forgettable, and you will look back on this day with pride throughout your life, as your look was timeless, elegant and regal, just as it was supposed to be.

The understated simplicity of the dress, the tiara and the bouquet are all in keeping with the young couple's values. They do not want elaborate, elevated, over-the-top, haute couture, which obviously some onlookers did fantasize about and did want.

It was said that Catherine was very aware of the economic times, and how it would look if she went for some sort of world record bouquet or even a huge bouquet. How odd it would have looked had she worn something avant-garde after years of wearing her own simple, tailored style. She was in keeping with what her family wore, she was herself. Bringing her own true self to the altar to marry was the most important thing she could have done on this day.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's good to think beyond the surface of the clothes into what is actually going on, worldwide and in England, and in that Abbey. The service was dignified, somewhat austere - and the living trees instead of cut flowers signal a change in the way even Royals are looking at resources.

Every single person there could be critiqued on some aspect of what they wore (Prince William could have worn a different uniform and the Queen didn't have to wear primrose, etc., etc.) but the overall effect was of a unified and modest Royal Family, rather than a bunch of nouveau riche millionaires throwing their money at the world. The service itself was lovely, the reading was well-chosen, the music was wondrous, and the young couple took it all very seriously.

England should be proud of its young Royals, and particularly of the new Duchess of Cambridge, whose intelligence, discernment, inner confidence and regal bearing won the day. That's what it was about, for me, the total effect. Of course, I was in favor of that dress style (couldn't have hoped for more in the detailing of the back of the dress, it was perfectly proportionate to the Abbey, especially when she was kneeling) and the fact that some people think it looked like it could have been in a "country church" is exactly what Kate was going for - hence the trees.

She wanted a wedding that suited her. I am so proud of her for choosing the right white, the delicate but not overwrought lace, the simple sleeves, the neckline that suits her best, the veil that did not overwhelm. She looked so much more beautiful than anyone else there (including Pippa, who was darling).

And lastly, I was so glad there were no blue bridesmaid's dresses, and that she had the simple cream and white theme (with those little page's uniforms echoing those of the Prince of C and the Prince of E).

Bravo, Kate - your dress is anything but forgettable, and you will look back on this day with pride throughout your life, as your look was timeless, elegant and regal, just as it was supposed to be.

I totally agree with you wonderfully stated.

I think any dress with long lace sleeves is going to be said to be based off of Grace Kelly, no matter what.

I wish she had put just a little more oomph into this. The bouquet was so so small and did not match the grandness of the location. Just a few more blossoms would have been helpful.

I am most disappointed by her veil. One thing that I really love about royal weddings is that the brides wear these fantastic full length veils. I LOVED Victoria of Sweden's full heirloom lace veil. I was so disappointed that C's was so short. Anyone can just buy a tulle fingertip veil. It didn't make her seem very royal today.

Her lace top and sleeves were lovely, and I like that she went medieval for the hair (very Katherine of Aragon to me), but I think there was too much hype beforehand that everyone was starting to expect something amazing and unique and it didn't happen.

AND TOO MUCH EYE MAKEUP!!

Well, at least she did right with you and me ;).

I have nothing to complain, I have a great wedding to look back at.

And me!

(I'm starting to wonder if I watched the same wedding as everyone else, because I thought it was just perfect!)

The look is elegant and timeless. Hopefully the long sleeved will start a new trend.

I'm with you on this one spratsmum. Felt like I could be watching any old wedding at times there and I'm not going to lie, I've seen better entrances on My Super Sweet 16.

I can assure you; this wedding was far classier and far grander than any trash displayed on My Super Sweet 16.

I am very underwhelmed by the dress. For months, both Will and Kate have talked about wanting this wedding to reflect all that is great about BRITAIN and she has a designer update an iconic dress worn by an AMERICAN. I feel bad for the designer of Grace Kelly's original gown. I was expecting something much more original than that. I also thought that her hair should have been up in order to showcase the top of the dress...it was too much for me with the hair, v-neck, lace. Also for some reason the Scroll tiara looked small on her and it looked great on Princess Anne at her wedding. I'm not sure what the cause of that was but it was my observation.

I am very underwhelmed by the dress. For months, both Will and Kate have talked about wanting this wedding to reflect all that is great about BRITAIN and she has a designer update an iconic dress worn by an AMERICAN. I feel bad for the designer of Grace Kelly's original gown. I was expecting something much more original than that. I also thought that her hair should have been up in order to showcase the top of the dress...it was too much for me with the hair, v-neck, lace. Also for some reason the Scroll tiara looked small on her and it looked great on Princess Anne at her wedding. I'm not sure what the cause of that was but it was my observation.

Princess Anne wore the fringe tiara at her wedding.

Oh and did you hear the something borrowed was lace from one of Diana's dresses put into the waist of the Duchess of Cambridges gown? I thought that was very nice!

Has this been confirmed? I hadn't heard of this...Also can you please tell me where you found this information?

Disappointed given the opportunities. The makeup is horrific, too much and severe, no doubt Kate has caked it on herself.
Kate looked old and tired, some colleagues of mine at work were wondering why William chose a much older woman ;)
The dress is not bad but the bust doesnt look well tailored, the hair, well, what could have been! The tiara didnt look professionally fixed either.
The veil looked really cheap and the train was too short.
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/roywed042911/s_r29_RTR2LR83.jpg

I wish we had a thread for just her make-up, but here goes.... I cannot believe she did that to herself!!! :bang: Lined her eyes in black with a black shadow on the lid and what looks like peach in the crease. I'm shocked. With all the resources at her disposal, does no one tell her that makeup does not have to be dark to show up to cameras and people seeing you from faraway.

Her dress so was delicate and lovely, her hair was natural, why do the severe makeup???

Princess Anne wore the fringe tiara at her wedding.

You are right, I was mistaken. But I have seen photos of both Princess Anne and Princess Margaret wearing the tiara on other occasions and indeed the tiara looked great on them.

I think we can be safely certain that the long-dead Helen Rose who designed Princess Grace's wedding dress doesn't give a flying fig about Catherine's dress looking reminiscent of it.

Catherine looked tired, but she seemed happier than William. When she was walking down the aisle, William looked maybe once and turned around. I did not see him excited or wowed by his bride. He seemed tired. Harry looked happier and more animated about the bride. Even when her father is lifting the veil, William is reading or singing...He did not seem excited. Her dress was too simple, but she looked beautiful. It was not like when I saw Diana's dress and thought "wow" what a dress!! The bouquet was much too small for my taste. It looked like she put it together from flowers from her garden. I love Catherine, but I don't think she did what most people expected. All the best in their new life.

Catherine looked tired, but she seemed happier than William. When she was walking down the aisle, William looked maybe once and turned around. I did not see him excited or wowed by his bride. He seemed tired. Harry looked happier and more animated about the bride. Even when her father is lifting the veil, William is reading or singing...He did not seem excited. Her dress was too simple, but she looked beautiful. It was not like when I saw Diana's dress and thought "wow" what a dress!! The bouquet was much too small for my taste. It looked like she put it together from flowers from her garden. I love Catherine, but I don't think she did what most people expected. All the best in their new life.

The bridegroom William wasn't allowed to look back when catherine arrived.

Major designers, interviewed about the dress, are saying it was inspired by both Queen Elizabeth's and Prince Grace's dress, as well as being modern and updated from both. There's an article somewhere that lists like 6 major designers, including Lagerfeld, all saying just about the same thing - and they all liked the dress very much.

Returning to the mid-century notions of dress is not a bad idea at all.

As for Princess Grace being an AMERICAN, she was also a COMMONER, and therefore, there's a connection between Catherine and Grace, both of whom married well above the station of their birth.

It would be really odd if British designers never incorporated looks from outside their own national boundaries (silk is after all, originally Chinese) - and isn't Cartier French? The fact that British designers can look about the world and make a design that works for a home grown British lass is a good advertisement for British design. But total originality? That's not what was wanted or needed here.

The fact that Princess Grace's dress is, in my view, the most iconic of all wedding dresses, was not lost on Sarah Burton or Kate.

There were several of us who said, all along, that emulating that dress would be the perfect choice for Kate. Many of the designs that were speculated over over the past six months here have been interesting and very fashion forward - but I think most people watching the wedding felt as some of us here did - that the dress was perfect.

The makeup is only heavy when in close-up, Kate seems to have a stagey attitude toward her makeup, and she knows how she looks in photos at various distances. This is her look for the public, and I thought she looked beautiful (except in extreme close-up).

It's not Catherine's job to do what we expect. It was her job to do what made her, William, and their friends and family happy. We don't factor into it at all, nor should we.

The bridegroom William wasn't allowed to look back when catherine arrived.

Not even when she is next to him? Don't you turn to receive your bride? Don't get me wrong, I really love both of them, I just noticed that he seemed tired or not as excited as he always is...

I didn't expect a more grand dress simply because it is not Kate's personality & if she did go for one it wouldn't have suited her.
This was just perfect but I wouldn't of mind a bit more volume.
I like the fact there was a thread hoop on the train for her to hold while walking for the reception.

I adore her dress! Its the perfect mix of royal tradition and Catherine. Everything about this wedding said William and Catherine and Britishness. Kate was never going to be an extravagant cutting edge fashionista and I hope now after this, people will accept her for being an elegant young woman and not a trendsetter. And the dress is couture! no doubt sewn together around her body, the craftsmanship is exquisite. I'm very pleased with the Duchess's choice.

I may be the only one but I had no expectations of what she would wear or look like. I hoped to see a beautiful and happy bride and that is what I saw.

Prince William looked serious, because it was a serious religious occasion. At all the CoE weddings I've seen or been to, people are rather serious.

I also think he was very concerned about everything going well. I thought he looked as if he was thinking a bit about security issues when they were in the landau and on the balcony, whereas Kate looked relaxed and protected.

Indeed, I thought Prince Wiliam's demeanor was very much that of a young man who was receiving a wife and taking her into his permanent care and protection. He knows more about lies ahead (and worries a bit about it). I thought he looked as if he was trying to believe all the parts about God and happiness and glory, but that he was also thinking about the scope of his own life, what has happened to him - and how little we might know about the future.

She was radiant and adoring, he looked serious and concerned. Had he been grinning that famous grin, or otherwise "looking excited," it would have been startling to me. He conveyed his love for his bride throughout, in an understated manner which we found very appealing at our house.

Back
Top Bottom