Catherine Middleton's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I first heard who the designer was, I was concerned. Not really a fan of the late Alexander McQueen's work. BUT..

That gown was gorgeous. Perfect. Exquisite. I saw a photo of Kate in her gown side-by-side with Princess Grace's and it really is a beautiful variation of that iconic gown, at least from the waist up.

KM's veil even hits her waistline in the front the same way as Grace's did, but of course it didn't have the wide cummerbund.

The decoration on the bottom of the skirt was remniscent of Queen Elizabeth's bridal gown..even the line of the cut. I LOVED the way Kate's gown fell away from her hips in folds...just beautiful! :whistling:

I am sure that in 20 years, Kate will not cringe when she looks at her wedding photos.....

Last edited:
I think she is being funny but OMG how cool would that be to have jeans on under a cute little strap less top and the sweater I would think that would be a fun look! :ROFLMAO: The belt is covering the fact it is a 2 piece dress!

Moonmaiden23 said:
When I first heard who the designer was, I was concerned. Not really a fan of the late Alexander McQueen's work. BUT..

I am sure that in 20 years, Kate will not cringe when she looks at her wedding photos.....

If you ask me, that was not really in keeping with McQueens work. The dress would have been way more flashy and stunning had Alexander been able to design it.

I think she'll cringe too.

I see Grace Kelly, but I also see Princess Margaret- maybe in the way the waist and skirt are?

I see Grace Kelly, but I also see Princess Margaret- maybe in the way the waist and skirt are?

Yes the way the skirt falls back into a train in those gathers reminds me of Margaret's dress and also Mette Marit's. There is also a Spanish feel with the kind of bustle fold at the back and it has a subtle feel of both infantas' dresses. All in all for me it is a triumph of a royal wedding dress.

With wedding gowns, there are only so many variations on a classic style. Just because it had lace does not make it a copy of the late HSH's gowns. I have to say I was more than impressed with the design.

I thought her make up looked great; I guess I'm just out of touch with everything...so I'll just go merrily along my way.

no you are not, I also was very impressed with the dress. The problem is with others. :p

Major designers, interviewed about the dress, are saying it was inspired by both Queen Elizabeth's and Prince Grace's dress, as well as being modern and updated from both. There's an article somewhere that lists like 6 major designers, including Lagerfeld, all saying just about the same thing - and they all liked the dress very much.

Returning to the mid-century notions of dress is not a bad idea at all.

As for Princess Grace being an AMERICAN, she was also a COMMONER, and therefore, there's a connection between Catherine and Grace, both of whom married well above the station of their birth.

It would be really odd if British designers never incorporated looks from outside their own national boundaries (silk is after all, originally Chinese) - and isn't Cartier French? The fact that British designers can look about the world and make a design that works for a home grown British lass is a good advertisement for British design. But total originality? That's not what was wanted or needed here.

The fact that Princess Grace's dress is, in my view, the most iconic of all wedding dresses, was not lost on Sarah Burton or Kate.

Agree with you PrincessKaimi. Here is a article and photos on the two brides. I really think Catherine told Sarah Burton what see wanted and the designer designed it. I love everything-dress, lace, veil and train. I think the lace's forms symbolized love and England just like the beautiful wedding cake frosting forms. Catherine again had input.

BTW I see a little in the dresses of parts from Queen Elizabeth and Princesses Grace, Margaret and Anne. I am one of the few who didn't like Pippa's dress. What I mean is Pippa's just didn't go with the rest of the bridal party. I loved all of the other attendants clothes.

Kate Middleton's wedding dress similar to gown worn by Grace Kelly; Actress married Prince in 1956

??? I was born into a well off family in America too, but that doesn't make me anything more than a commoner. We don't have aristocracy in America, even if you are born wealthy and into a well-established family.

As for being a movie star -- even less "aristocratic"!

While we don't have aristocracy in America, there is no denying that society views someone from your background to be more established than say mine as I was not born into a well-off family. It may not be a traditional aristocracy but there is a divide between rich, middle class and poor. That's why people made mean comments about her family because they have new money but I digress. But technically yes she is a commoner. This was a response to a comment written about my post that said Kate and Grace Kelly are on the same level. My point was that Kate was not born into money as Grace Kelly was so she and Kate are not on the same level. So I see no reason why channeling her makes any sense. That was my distinction...

So I guess the question is whether or not the dress should have been original or should it have been more of a copy? There are of course some differing opinions and I've made mine clear. I also agree with the posters that say that Kate had her fair share of input and in my opinion blame for the design of the dress.

Last edited:
With wedding gowns, there are only so many variations on a classic style. Just because it had lace does not make it a copy of the late HSH's gowns. I have to say I was more than impressed with the design.

I thought her make up looked great; I guess I'm just out of touch with everything...so I'll just go merrily along my way.
I'll be out of touch along with you, cause I definitely agree with your post.

I thought Kate looked wonderful. The design of the dress fit her style perfectly - simple but elegant. I love the detailing on the bottom of the dress.

Catherine looked tired, but she seemed happier than William. When she was walking down the aisle, William looked maybe once and turned around. I did not see him excited or wowed by his bride. He seemed tired. Harry looked happier and more animated about the bride. Even when her father is lifting the veil, William is reading or singing...He did not seem excited.

He seemed happy to me. I noticed he kept sneaking glances at her throughout the ceremony and when she got to the altar, he told her she looked beautiful. I think they were both just really overwhelmed and nervous during the service. At one point you could see Catherine's hands shaking. They seemed to really loosen up when they got in the carriage.

Last edited:
I see the nod to GK I also see Queen Elizabeth's dress. But to me, it is definitely not a copy of Grace Kelly's dress. It is different enough. My only wish would be to add some pearls or sequins and maybe a different shade of lace from the dress so it stood out more. Also, another 3 to 6ft of train.
I didn't notice anything wrong with her make up, and I watched on a huge high def TV. I would think she wouldn't want to look washed out under the camera's. Going more natural would not have appealed to me on such a grand occasion or with 2 billion people watching!

The evening dress is nice but as I look at it more I agree that it should have some color or something.

Both dresses are not in McQueen style IMO.

The corsetry and flared/structured hip are classic McQueen.

I really love this wedding dress. It was exactly the kind of style I was hoping to see - very elegant and understated with all the details finished to the highest degree, (the description of the work that went into the lace alone almost made me swoon. :) ). First of all, it fit, which should be a no brainer but, looking back at pictures of more than a few previous royal brides it seems that ensuring the dress actually fits the bride isn't as obvious a starting point as I would have thought. I loved the overall design, from the lace work to the way the whole thing did such a good job at setting off Kate's figure and silhouette. I think the dress is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship at the highest level, in addition to just looking good on the bride.

I have to eat crow on all of this as when I first heard that Sarah Burton might be designing the dress I was kind of worried based on some of her previous work which is beautiful but completely inappropriate for the occasion we had today. But she and Kate really knocked it out of the park.

I personally would have been kind of horrified if she'd have tried to pull off something edgy or quirky or fashion forward. Those kinds of looks are great in plenty of situations, (and maybe at some point we'll see Kate start to do more of that kind of thing), but not, IMO, when you're walking down the aisle of Westminster Abbey to marry the second in line to the British throne.

I like the dress and angora sweater. She looks lovely!

Personally for me had she stepped on of the car in the second dress she wore tonight I would have been blown away but that being said her dress was lovely! And it was a very nice wedding .....

I've been lurking here for a bit and am finally posting. I thought she looked absolutely stunning. The cut of the bodice was modern and the classic lace was a beautiful touch. The whole effect was absolutely lovely.

Kate's dress was timeless. It's still going to look good thirty some odd years or so from now when we're watching highlights of their wedding at the time of William's coronation.

I can see lots of Princess Margaret's dress in the design as well as the Queen's dress and Princess Grace's dress. Kate's dress has a softness to it that Grace's dress doesn't have though.

(longtime lurker, finally had to join today to discuss W & C!)

Here is a lovely gallery of Catherine's dress on InStyle magazine's site: Photo Gallery : InStyle.com What's Right Now

The second picture in particular is interesting, it explains that the flowers in her lace are a nod to the national flowers of the UK.
progress.gif

I was surprised and letdown with choice of dress, not what I thought she would choose. Going by her usual style I thought something along the lines of the wedding dress Mette Marit wore (imho the most fabulous wedding dress I've ever seen). Classic, clean lines, elegant but understated allowing the real beauty of the bride to shine also. That said, I loved the veil, and tiara, loaned by the Queen and just perfect. Cartier halo tiara from 1936. Indeed a beautiful bride, William as shy and lovely as his Mother. Oh and hi, new to the forums :)

All the hoopla and overwhelming coverage made the dress a let down for me. I expected something beautiful and showstopping. Her dress was pretty. No where close to Princess Grace. Grace's dress is forever show-stopping and the best royal dress of all time.

Kate's will be forgettable IMO. She made a pretty bride and looked pretty but her overall look isn't one I think will flash in memory 20 years from now as a gorgeous bride.

I expected the guests to be more dressed up. I think I had Victoria's wedding from last year on the brain so I expected the guests to be decked out in gowns and looking their royal best and stuff and not hats and suits looking like Easter service.:ermm:

Everyone looked so normal. I could have sworn I've seen that yellow suit on the queen before. I just expected everyone to look different than just any old day/event because this was a royal wedding. But is that a British thing? Suits for the wedding over gowns and stuff?

Last edited:
I thought Katherine's wedding gown was absolutely gorgeous. It reminded me so much of Grace Kelly's wedding gown. I thought Katherine looked lovely. I thought the evening gown was a nice, but a bit plain. Maybe some more embellishment, or a slimmer silhouette would have been nicer, but overall Katherine looked lovely on her special day.

i noticed something on the evening and morning gown. I thought it wasnt detachable...and thought that theres laces at the bottom of the gown and might be different from the evening one. But I somehow noticed that shes actually wearing a top? and the skirt for the evening instead of the full piece?
If u look carefully, noticed that u can slightly see through the top at her waist area?

article-1382015-0BD6BDF000000578-969_634x958.jpg

article-1382015-0BD6BE3C00000578-13_306x950.jpg

I must say that Sarah Burton is really terrific! She might even change the concept of wedding dresses for future! hiding it so well!

I'm just guessing hehe after some of u thought and suggested its same piece :p
but then looking at the hard works of sewing i think maybe its two gowns haha! the royals doesnt need to save on one gown!
i dont know!

Last edited:
When I 1st saw the dress, I thought, hmm...pretty, but nothing spectacular. But once I started reading about the lace and it being hand sewn, the amount of time to make it, the thought that went into it, ect. ect. it made it very beautiful to me. I was suprised at the length of her veil. I thought for sure it would have been the same length as her train, but I'm sure that is just my preference rather than hers.
Overall, given the background of the dress, it is a simply stunning effect.

i noticed something on the evening and morning gown. I thought it wasnt detachable...and thought that theres laces at the bottom of the gown and might be different from the evening one. But I somehow noticed that shes actually wearing a top? and the skirt for the evening instead of the full piece?
If u look carefully, noticed that u can slightly see through the top at her waist area?

article-1382015-0BD6BDF000000578-969_634x958.jpg

article-1382015-0BD6BE3C00000578-13_306x950.jpg

article-1381930-0BD4345100000578-996_470x660.jpg

Hmm looking at the waist area of the day gown..

Maybe I'm wrong..if we can take a look at the back pic of her in evening gown probably see if its same design :p or theres a wrap up lace thingy..or the hooks behind, but owell Sarah Burton is smart enough cos Kate wears a coat over it and just covered on the right area on her back!
I think if it is indeed detachable, I must say that Sarah Burton is really terrific! She might even change the concept of wedding dresses for future! hiding it so well!
My guess: silk strapless top > tuck in lace long sleeves see through > wrap detachable skirt..
and for evening, slip on skirt..
I'm just guessing hehe after some of u thought and suggested its same piece :p

A friend of mine thinks that those are Kate's hip bones that you can see on the evening dress. I think I agree with you that she's wearing a top and a skirt.

I'm not that loopy, really~~!!:ROFLMAO: The pics of them coming out of CH the light was behind them and the skirt of Catherine's reception dress was transparent. You could see soft trousers.

Back
Top Bottom