The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Commoner

Loved the dress and it suited Katherine, but I felt it could have been more grand, the dress would not have been out of place in the local parish church. That is my feeling about the whole thing, dress, veil, makeup, hair very natural but would have liked a bit more glam for such a magnificent setting. her sister though that was glam, she looked gorgeous holding the hands of the flowergirls.

I am a bit underwhelmed by it all really.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:58 AM

I'm with you on this one spratsmum. Felt like I could be watching any old wedding at times there and I'm not going to lie, I've seen better entrances on My Super Sweet 16.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Royal Highness

I think Pippa stole the show. She was stunning! Definately outshone the bride and that's not a bad thing here.

Kate's dress? Eeehhh. Not spectacular by any means. I did like the way it folded/pleated in the back though.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Serene Highness

Definitely a successful interpretation of Princess Grace's dress, than say Marie-Chantal's attempt. Granted, Catherine had the height, went for a sexier neckline (but still appropriate neckline, and didn't wear a overly ornate/heavy weight too far high and up on her forehead to make it look like a habit.
Since they all fall into the Princess Grace-style lace-illusion gown, Catherine's reminded me more of Princess Marie of Denmark's recent dress. However, I like Catherine's is much more flattering, especially neckline, sleeves and color of the lace. Marie's made her look like she was wearing a push-up bra and her cleavage was spilling out; the white did not look good against her tan, and I think it looks funny whenever sleeves are cut right ABOVE the elbow. While Marie's dropped waist and weird pleating (what's up with the Danish princesses and weirdly pleated wedding dresses?) make her look short and the gown look awkward, the waist was nipped at just the right place to show off Catherine's Princess Grace-like small waist and and the pleats were done just right to give the gown structure and form for the train.
I did think her veil was too short though (think it was fingertip length) and looked kind of flimsy. Would have liked to see a floor or chapel length would have made it more regal, befitting of a future queen.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Gentry

Has anyone mentioned Catherine's puny little bouquet, yet? I really thought they could have done more with that. It didn't have to be BIG, but it could have had some larger flowers in it, and/or some color. Wondering why she made that choice?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Courtier

A wonderful dress, totally fitted HRH the Duchess of Cambridge

A longer train would have been even better, but it doesn't matter now!

Instead of Grace Kelly, I thought there is a resemblance with Princess Marie of Denmark's wedding gown.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Royal Highness

After reading everyone's thoughts and article I've been persuaded it was inspired by Grace as many other Royal gowns and it's grown on me! Thanks guys!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Serene Highness

Love it Love it love it. I would like a bigger train, but looking at Pippa handling those 2 little girls it seems more appropriate.
The lace and the waist was perfect!
Also If you look closely at the bottom of the skirt you can see more details!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Firstly I was a little disappointed by the choice of wedding dress,it seemed too simple for me,even in "Grace Kelly" style.But then I changed my mind and I consider that is unlikely Kate would have made better choice:very classical,neither "virginal" nor tacky
Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

I think Catherine looked absolutely stunning! Her gown was a surprise for many reasons, not least of all because Sarah Burton managed to create a properly ROYAL wedding dress from the amazing techniques used by the Alexander McQueen label - all the structure and details.

I loved the fact that the gown was designed with the Arts and Crafts style in mind. It is fabuloulsy made with instricate and lavishly woven materials. A truly British wedding gown!

The length of the train was perfect for the actual design of the gown, although a couple of extra feet would have been great. The gown is reminicent of Grace Kelly, Marie of Denmark, Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, Princess Claire, Autumn Phillips and even the Queen's own dress.

The deep V-neckline is perfect for kate and the handmade lace using old methods simply makes this gown a complete one-off!

Well done Sarah Burton! Well done and congratulations!!

The bridesmaids look utterly enchanting and Pippa Middleton could not have done a better job as a maid of honour - she looked after the train with such elegant grace and dignity......walking arm in arm with Harry put a smile on her face!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Royal Highness

So, is any royal wedding dress with a lace bodice and sleeve going to be considered an homage to Grace Kelly's wedding gown?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Aristocracy

The bouquet looks just like Brooke Shields to Andre Aggassi when they got married. I think that she wanted a smaller bouquet because of the detail on the bottom of the gown it couldn't be a long cascade bouquet or it would cover that. I had a replica of Princess Diana's and I have to say when it was handed to me I about died how heavy it was. I wanted to pass it off to anyone that would take it at all times!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Aristocracy

Oh and did you hear the something borrowed was lace from one of Diana's dresses put into the waist of the Duchess of Cambridges gown? I thought that was very nice!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I think Kate looked almost sad compared to glowing Victoria last summer. Maybe she should've gotten the small wedding she wished for. I wish she would've chosen an updo to frame her face. Now she looked flat-headed. I also wish she would've chosen a professional make up artist. She could've done without the sad panda eyes.
I didn't see her as sad but as regal. She stepped into her role as The Duchess of Cambridge today with perfect poise, grace and mannerisms fit for a future queen. I think perhaps that Victoria, last summer, with growing up in the role probably felt more at ease to express emotion. Remember how she kept rubbing Daniel's hand with her thumb in kind of a reassuring gesture? Both William and Kate are relatively new on the royal scale so far so they both adhered to the royal protocol.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Courtier

I'm a little dismayed by the amount of critism in Kate's dress, her bouquet and everything else. I thought she looked absolutely stunning. If you looked closely, you can see the nod to former famous wedding dresses. Princess Grace, Queen Elizabeth and a touch of victorian with the bustle. I think it was absolutely perfect for her, and although Pippa's dress was sweet and pretty, it wasn't a wedding dress and in no way eclipsed Kate. If Kate had presented herself in the dress that Pippa wore, she would have been critized for it not being grand enough for a royal bride. She didn't want a huge bouquet to carry. After all she is the bride. As to all the other petty comments..... really? I don't understand what it is that some of you want?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat
I'm a little dismayed by the amount of critism in Kate's dress, her bouquet and everything else. I thought she looked absolutely stunning. If you looked closely, you can see the nod to former famous wedding dresses. Princess Grace, Queen Elizabeth and a touch of victorian with the bustle. I think it was absolutely perfect for her, and although Pippa's dress was sweet and pretty, it wasn't a wedding dress and in no way eclipsed Kate. If Kate had presented herself in the dress that Pippa wore, she would have been critized for it not being grand enough for a royal bride. She didn't want a huge bouquet to carry. After all she is the bride. As to all the other petty comments..... really? I don't understand what it is that some of you want?
We are allowed our opinions- everyone is as long as respectful
Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by spratsmum View Post
Loved the dress and it suited Katherine, but I felt it could have been more grand, the dress would not have been out of place in the local parish church. That is my feeling about the whole thing, dress, veil, makeup, hair very natural but would have liked a bit more glam for such a magnificent setting. her sister though that was glam, she looked gorgeous holding the hands of the flowergirls.

I am a bit underwhelmed by it all really.
I'm sorry, but her name is Catherine with a "C". Not "k". Since my name is also Catherine I have a thing about that. Sorry!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
We are allowed our opinions- everyone is as long as respectful
Yes, you are And so am I.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

The bridesmaids look utterly enchanting and Pippa Middleton could not have done a better job as a maid of honour - she looked after the train with such elegant grace and dignity......walking arm in arm with Harry put a smile on her face!!!

Pippa's dress looked perfect, imo. It was a sophisticated dress suitable for a 27 year-old, yet not too revealing.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant View Post

I don't think it is forgettable. It suits her well and I think she's beautiful in it.
I could not agree with you more! I loved everything about the way Catherine looked! I loved it that her hair was down so that she looked like herself instead of some unreal, unusual version of herself! Her natural beauty shone through today!!!

I loved the veil, which I first saw after she and William had signed the register and, was, therefore, already off her face. It looked as if she might have on a Julliet cap except that she was wearing that lovely, delicate tiara. The effect was ethereal and breathtaking. I couldn't have loved the veil more!

Catherine's slender figure was perfect for the gown. Princess Grace couldn't hold a candle to her given her tall, willowy frame. I loved the lace; I loved the drape. I don't think she set a foot wrong in her appearance.

I never saw a lovelier bride!!!

rawsilk

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding