Catherine Middleton's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't know what to expect but this dress is STUNNING and Catherine looks gorgeous. Sarah Burton designed beautiful piece and I'm sure that it will be inspiration for many future brides. Kate's style is rather simple and she choosed 'dress of her dreams" I think. Long hair and strong eye make-up are her trade marks and I'm glad that she stay herself today.
I like everything about the dress: lace, cut of skirt, color. Short veil is rather unusual choice of the royal brides but it's perfect.
I only wish to see longer train, for Westminster Abbey could be perfect, more regal. But this one is more comfortable I think.
Now I'm wondering if we will see different gown in the evening :whistling:

I didn't see her as sad but as regal. She stepped into her role as The Duchess of Cambridge today with perfect poise, grace and mannerisms fit for a future queen. I think perhaps that Victoria, last summer, with growing up in the role probably felt more at ease to express emotion. Remember how she kept rubbing Daniel's hand with her thumb in kind of a reassuring gesture? Both William and Kate are relatively new on the royal scale so far so they both adhered to the royal protocol.

Just my thoughts.

One of the most touching and regal things aboutKate today was when they were travelling in the carraiage passed the Cenotaph and the salutes at horseguards parade and Buckingham Palace - she bowed her head for a while with such grace and charm and humility.

I didn't see her as sad but as regal. She stepped into her role as The Duchess of Cambridge today with perfect poise, grace and mannerisms fit for a future queen. I think perhaps that Victoria, last summer, with growing up in the role probably felt more at ease to express emotion. Remember how she kept rubbing Daniel's hand with her thumb in kind of a reassuring gesture? Both William and Kate are relatively new on the royal scale so far so they both adhered to the royal protocol.

Just my thoughts.
She didn't look sad to me either. She might have been a little overwhelmed by the all those people and the idea that millions of people were watching her on television. That's enought to give anyone who is not used to it the jitters. She carried it like a trouper! At the altar, she held her Dad's hand so tight I thought she might have broken his fingers!:lol: She did well. She was lovely. The gown was beautiful. The tiara suited her and the gown. The veil is somthing I would wear, I love it! Her nosegay was pretty. Anything larger would have been out of place, in my humble opinion. :) They did indeed adhere to royal protocol, which is a little stiff, but must be followed.

What I was looking for and did not see, really, was alot of flowers. I thought there would have been more but the trees lining the aisle were very nice.

I think Kate looked almost sad compared to glowing Victoria last summer. Maybe she should've gotten the small wedding she wished for. I wish she would've chosen an updo to frame her face. Now she looked flat-headed. I also wish she would've chosen a professional make up artist. She could've done without the sad panda eyes.
Are we discussing the same wedding?? Catherine looked absolutely radiant to me!! She was smiling and waving all the way to the Abby and was clearly a very happy bride!! Sad panda eyes?? No way!!!

I didn't know what to expect but this dress is STUNNING and Catherine looks gorgeous. Sarah Burton designed beautiful piece and I'm sure that it will be inspiration for many future brides. Kate's style is rather simple and she choosed 'dress of her dreams" I think. Long hair and strong eye make-up are her trade marks and I'm glad that she stay herself today.
I like everything about the dress: lace, cut of skirt, color. Short veil is rather unusual choice of the royal brides but it's perfect.
I only wish to see longer train, for Westminster Abbey could be perfect, more regal. But this one is more comfortable I think.
Now I'm wondering if we will see different gown in the evening :whistling:

What we have to remember with this dress too is that there is a lot of Catherine in the design and planning of the dress. In fact the entire ensemble. After all the mega posts I've gone through here since the wedding and now being up more than 24 hours, my mind is a bit foggy where the details of exactly what was special about her entire wedding outfit are, but it seems that every little detail of what she wore had some kind of meaning to it and was crafted especially for her.

I still think that Kate was very much behind the design and the "look" of her wedding attire and Sarah Burton was the genius that made it all come together into a reality. I just think that this dress had more to it than just being a Sarah Burton design. The dress wasn't inspired by Grace Kelly although the classic beauty of it is reminiscent of that era nor will it ever go up for auction for charity. In years to come, this is going to be a historic dress much like HM's is.

It was a perfect dress.

Well I have already express my opinion and of course she is lovely, elegant, but to me it was something missing...a bit more would be Oka a longer train..the lace part is lovely but just that..the rest is simple and poor, and the bouquet to poor also! But she looked a lolvey bride indeed but the ocassion was far from a simple wedding so...she should have been a bit more...in everything...

Last edited:
My fist impression was.... hmmmm, i don´t know, where is the wow effect..... but the more I am looking at the dress the more I like it. The backside is simply stunning and her waist looks like Sissi in this dress. The wow is coming more and more, the longer I am looking to all the permanent repeats in TV.

The Tiara is simply great, fits PERFECT for her and she can use them for the future, small & delicate but impressive.

The only thing where I am simply not yet fan of, is the veil. Too -- hmmmm -- unspectacular.
BYe Bine

Well I have already express my opinion and of course she is lovely, elegant, but to me it was something missing...a bit more would be Oka a longer train..the lace part is lovely but just that..the rest is simple and poor, and the bouquet to poor also! But she looked a lolvey bride indeed but the ocassion was far from a simple wedding so...she should have been a bit more...in everything...
I think the elephant in the room is a lot of people were looking for more grandure and larger scale, it being the wedding of a heir two heartbeats from the throne of Great Britain. So was I, I admit it. To me, and only to me:), the Duchess took it down a notch. The whole thing just seems to suit her and William, and quite frankly, I thought it was wonderful. They both seem very much in love and very happy, and that was what made it a beautiful wedding.:)

Oh and did you hear the something borrowed was lace from one of Diana's dresses put into the waist of the Duchess of Cambridges gown? I thought that was very nice!
I have heard that the lace was hand crafted and incorporated the National Flowers of the British Isles - The thistle for Scotland, shamrock for Ireland, daffodils for Wales and roses for England. I have yet to find a good clear closeup of the lace to see if I can spot them all. Can anyone help in that respect?

There was an article that said the dress would have a "nod to Diana" but I was unable to spot what that nod might be. Maybe the lace in the waist mentioned?

Last edited:
So, is any royal wedding dress with a lace bodice and sleeve going to be considered an homage to Grace Kelly's wedding gown?

You're right - so I'm going to start seeing today's amazing dress as a 1940's style and similar to the queens!

The dress is beautiful but not as spectacular as I had expected it. But it suited her very well.

There was an article that said the dress would have a "nod to Diana" but I was unable to spot what that nod might be. Maybe the lace in the waist mentioned?
Maybe the bow on her back holding her train ?

She must have asked Sarah Burton to design something like Grace Kellys dress. I think the dress is forgettable unfortunately.
Yes so you have said, of course some said similar things last year about Victoria and her "plain dress and ugly tiara".

These are royal weddings in cathedrals. The brides are not Hollywood starlets being blinged out in borrowed jewels for their weddings in a Beverly Hills hotel.

For European royals the phrase "less is more" has some meaning, and probably never more so than in these tough economic times where grand over the top dresses with all the royal bling brought out would not have public approval. It also would not be in keeping with Caherine and Williams style.

Well, I was so disappointed on Catherine´s dress, make up and hairdo. The tiara was lovely and suitable for her and the lace on the dress looked nice. But...
Did she really do her make up herself? She shouldn´t have used the black-liner so much and her face looked terribly dark. She should have definitely had a proper hairdo with her hair up.
The dress - the top looked ok, but she should have had another bra ...
The low part was too big and heavy for such a thin Catherine.
She didn´t looked really happy at the church IMO. I missed feelings and emotions from the wedding.

The Duchess looked like a dream in that dress. The train was shorter than I thought it would be, but I was by no means disappointed in it. It continued her theme of wearing classic, refined clothes and I knew she wasn't going to wear some upside-down cupcake monstrosity.

The Duchess. We get to call her that now. *squee*

I am sorry but I don't see where she didn't look happy. I am watching it again and she is smiling I think she is a reserved person and not every one is emotional in public.

I liked the dress. Yes we've seen similar wedding dresses before but this one was perfect for Catherine and seemed to fit her personality well. I also liked the veil and it matched the dress perfectly. As for it all being not grand enough, I don't think that's what the bride was going for. Although I will admit that all the media hype had me hoping for a rather more unique/original dress.

The Duchess looked like a dream in that dress. The train was shorter than I thought it would be, but I was by no means disappointed in it. It continued her theme of wearing classic, refined clothes and I knew she wasn't going to wear some upside-down cupcake monstrosity.

The Duchess. We get to call her that now. *squee*

I totally agree. The wedding dress had written "This is who I am/This is me" over it. Splendid choice.

Disappointed given the opportunities. The makeup is horrific, too much and severe, no doubt Kate has caked it on herself.
Kate looked old and tired, some colleagues of mine at work were wondering why William chose a much older woman ;)
The dress is not bad but the bust doesnt look well tailored, the hair, well, what could have been! The tiara didnt look professionally fixed either.
The veil looked really cheap and the train was too short.
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/roywed042911/s_r29_RTR2LR83.jpg

All that matters is that this was what she and William wanted and how they planned it to look and it made them and their family's happy.

Stars such as flashed. Noble, simple, elegant and sympathetic to a royal bride. Bouquet could be a little more beautiful.

Yes I think that what's most important for any bride is that she feel happy and comfortable with what she's wearing, including her makeup. I can see why some people would feel that it looks caked on in close-up shots but if that's what Catherine wanted then that's all that matters. Although I don't see why one can't get help from a professional makeup artist and still get the look they want.

Okay, I guess this is what happens when you write to long thread; people quote your older posts ignoring newer ones on the same issue. I know I said earlier that Catherine seemed perhaps slightly sad but I've had time to think about it and I think she is probably just a shy person. The couple might have at times also remembered William's mother which might have made them a little pensive. Nothing wrong there, they were both smiling and quite adorable at the balcony IMO. :)

Someone here said on page 6 that they were dismayed about all the criticism towards Catherine's dress etc. I haven't seen much criticism at all and certainly no-one has said the dress was bad. I admit it is not something I would like but it is not my dress. As long as she likes it, it is the perfect dress. And it did suit her well and she was beautiful and regal looking.

So I guess everyone's happy?

This was her choice.
This is what THEY wanted.

So her makeup was dramatic. better her makeup then her personality and NO DRAMA!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom