The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,161
That's probably why I like it, it looks like a standard veil from the renaissance and medeival times and the beautiful one's worn by high class widows; there are some things that are considered modern that don't necessarily qualify as better. When I see a beautiful veil like Kate's that touches the hair and hangs beautifully over the face I think of a throw back to more beautiful style days. Well that's the kind of veil I like along with the veil that only goes down the back like Mary and Victoria, and the one's that start farther back on the head like Charlene's.
When I think of a bunched up veil I see Maxima's, which was beautiful when flowing down her dress and along the floor, but close ups of the crown has the veil looking messy and like there was no style plan.
__________________

__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Reply With Quote
  #642  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,319
Yes, I think Kate deliberately chose elements from olden times (as would I, if I were stepping into the role of Future Queen).
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #643  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
That's probably why I like it, it looks like a standard veil from the renaissance and medeival times and the beautiful one's worn by high class widows; there are some things that are considered modern that don't necessarily qualify as better. When I see a beautiful veil like Kate's that touches the hair and hangs beautifully over the face I think of a throw back to more beautiful style days. Well that's the kind of veil I like along with the veil that only goes down the back like Mary and Victoria, and the one's that start farther back on the head like Charlene's.
When I think of a bunched up veil I see Maxima's, which was beautiful when flowing down her dress and along the floor, but close ups of the crown has the veil looking messy and like there was no style plan.
I loved the veil for the same reason - because it looked medieval/renaissance-ish and it also reminded me of veils worn by widows in the past (might sound a bit odd, but I always found they looked very elegant and graceful). For such special events I like such things more - timeless elegance and timeless beauty - than modern trends which might look boring or even cheap/silly after a few decades. The Cartier Halo tiara was a great match IMO and the loose hair also worked nicely. I really think Kate looked beautiful at her wedding.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #644  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,161
Yeah, it is ironic to bring in what is worn by widows; but their veils are just so pretty. I remember thinking that when I watched Gone With The Wind and clips of the Kennedy funeral. It's one of those timeless styles that always works.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Reply With Quote
  #645  
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,442
I actually really liked Kate's veil. To me it seemed that she was going for understated elegance and timelessness. When I first saw her, I had to look twice as I thought perhaps she was wearing a lace mantilla. The veil really gave her a madonna (and I don't mean traffic cone Madonna) aura.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #646  
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 PM
IloveCP's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Palm Springs, United States
Posts: 4,837
Yes,her veil is very beautiful.She looked so beautiful behind the veil.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #647  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I actually really liked Kate's veil. To me it seemed that she was going for understated elegance and timelessness. When I first saw her, I had to look twice as I thought perhaps she was wearing a lace mantilla. The veil really gave her a madonna (and I don't mean traffic cone Madonna) aura.
LOL!!! She had both: that ethereal bride's countenance and Madonna's cones, now known as the "Cambridge Cones." She had cones on her evening reception gown too. Too bad.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #648  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Brazilian model Caroline Trentini tied the knot at the weekend in a gown remarkably similar to the Duchess of Cambridge's. See link for pic:

Top model Caroline Trentini takes a leaf out of Duchess of Cambridge

I think she looks wonderful.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #649  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 194
My first comment on seeing Catherine's wedding gown was how similar in style it was to that worn by Princess Elizabeth when she married Philip Mountbatten. It seemed to have a style which trancended time and fashion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #650  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,161
Are there any better pictures of her dress? To me it looks like another bad copy of Kate's dress, one that doesn't fit well.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Reply With Quote
  #651  
Old 03-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 536
I'm going wedding dress shopping this weekend and will be trying on a replica of Catherine's gown.

Long Sleeved Satin and Lace Ball Gown - David's Bridal

As I'm 5' I seriously doubt it will look good on me, but I want to try it on anyway. :big grin:
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #652  
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I'm going wedding dress shopping this weekend and will be trying on a replica of Catherine's gown.

Long Sleeved Satin and Lace Ball Gown - David's Bridal

As I'm 5' I seriously doubt it will look good on me, but I want to try it on anyway. :big grin:
You never know. With high enough heels you might make it work...lol. I'm completely jealous of you. It is one gorgeous dress.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #653  
Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Aliza's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
LOL!!! She had both: that ethereal bride's countenance and Madonna's cones, now known as the "Cambridge Cones." She had cones on her evening reception gown too. Too bad.
Oh, wow - thank you, KittyAtlanta! The "Cambridge Cones". That is priceless - and so true! I never did understand that with all the intricacy and care put into that gown's creation that they didn't make sure Kate had a more, shall we say, natural look? She has a lovely figure and that was a real distraction. Gosh, I can't stop laughing!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #654  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 536
Thought I'd share this picture of me in a replica of Kate's dress. I can assure you the Duchess of Durham will not be wearing the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress, or rather a replica of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duchess of Durham in DoCa's dress 0324.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	284288  
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #655  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
Thought I'd share this picture of me in a replica of Kate's dress. I can assure you the Duchess of Durham will not be wearing the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress, or rather a replica of it.
Well, I think the bodice looks lovely on you. The skirt needs to be more A-line with fewer gathers, or no gathers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #656  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Well, I think the bodice looks lovely on you. The skirt needs to be more A-line with fewer gathers, or no gathers.
You are absolutely right, which is why I did chose a dress that offers all you mentioned and does not overwhelm me like this one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #657  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
You are absolutely right, which is why I did chose a dress that offers all you mentioned and does not overwhelm me like this one.
Now you'll have to post a picture of the dress you actually chose (maybe after the wedding in case your groom is a Royal Forums user)! You can't keep us in suspense forever!

Congrats by the way
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #658  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 AM
monkeyfish's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, United States
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Now you'll have to post a picture of the dress you actually chose (maybe after the wedding in case your groom is a Royal Forums user)! You can't keep us in suspense forever!

Congrats by the way
Hear, hear! Congratulations!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #659  
Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
Thought I'd share this picture of me in a replica of Kate's dress. I can assure you the Duchess of Durham will not be wearing the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress, or rather a replica of it.
You look so beautiful and so radiant that I'm sure that THE dress you've chosen will be absolutely perfect!! I echo the congratulations of all us posters and my wish for you is that all your troubles of married life be little ones!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #660  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 536
Thank you for all the congratulations!

The future Duke of Durham, who does not even look at TRF, and I have been together for almost 7 years. I am so excited to marry him.

Here is the dress, and veil, I did get. The veil will be worn a little further back on my head, and my hair will be pulled back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Dress 0324.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	284366  
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catherine Middleton Wedding Dress suggestions and musings Catherine Helvin Prince William and Catherine Middleton - The Royal Wedding, 29 April 2011 562 04-29-2011 05:52 AM
Catherine Middleton Wedding Tiara suggestions and musings Duchessmary Prince William and Catherine Middleton - The Royal Wedding, 29 April 2011 1392 04-29-2011 05:52 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander picture thread pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]