The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's probably why I like it, it looks like a standard veil from the renaissance and medeival times and the beautiful one's worn by high class widows; there are some things that are considered modern that don't necessarily qualify as better. When I see a beautiful veil like Kate's that touches the hair and hangs beautifully over the face I think of a throw back to more beautiful style days. Well that's the kind of veil I like along with the veil that only goes down the back like Mary and Victoria, and the one's that start farther back on the head like Charlene's.
When I think of a bunched up veil I see Maxima's, which was beautiful when flowing down her dress and along the floor, but close ups of the crown has the veil looking messy and like there was no style plan.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I think Kate deliberately chose elements from olden times (as would I, if I were stepping into the role of Future Queen).

Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
That's probably why I like it, it looks like a standard veil from the renaissance and medeival times and the beautiful one's worn by high class widows; there are some things that are considered modern that don't necessarily qualify as better. When I see a beautiful veil like Kate's that touches the hair and hangs beautifully over the face I think of a throw back to more beautiful style days. Well that's the kind of veil I like along with the veil that only goes down the back like Mary and Victoria, and the one's that start farther back on the head like Charlene's.
When I think of a bunched up veil I see Maxima's, which was beautiful when flowing down her dress and along the floor, but close ups of the crown has the veil looking messy and like there was no style plan.
I loved the veil for the same reason - because it looked medieval/renaissance-ish and it also reminded me of veils worn by widows in the past (might sound a bit odd, but I always found they looked very elegant and graceful). For such special events I like such things more - timeless elegance and timeless beauty - than modern trends which might look boring or even cheap/silly after a few decades. The Cartier Halo tiara was a great match IMO and the loose hair also worked nicely. I really think Kate looked beautiful at her wedding.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah, it is ironic to bring in what is worn by widows; but their veils are just so pretty. I remember thinking that when I watched Gone With The Wind and clips of the Kennedy funeral. It's one of those timeless styles that always works.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I actually really liked Kate's veil. To me it seemed that she was going for understated elegance and timelessness. When I first saw her, I had to look twice as I thought perhaps she was wearing a lace mantilla. The veil really gave her a madonna (and I don't mean traffic cone Madonna) aura.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes,her veil is very beautiful.She looked so beautiful behind the veil.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I actually really liked Kate's veil. To me it seemed that she was going for understated elegance and timelessness. When I first saw her, I had to look twice as I thought perhaps she was wearing a lace mantilla. The veil really gave her a madonna (and I don't mean traffic cone Madonna) aura.
LOL!!! She had both: that ethereal bride's countenance and Madonna's cones, now known as the "Cambridge Cones." She had cones on her evening reception gown too. Too bad.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Brazilian model Caroline Trentini tied the knot at the weekend in a gown remarkably similar to the Duchess of Cambridge's. See link for pic:

Top model Caroline Trentini takes a leaf out of Duchess of Cambridge

I think she looks wonderful.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Aristocracy

My first comment on seeing Catherine's wedding gown was how similar in style it was to that worn by Princess Elizabeth when she married Philip Mountbatten. It seemed to have a style which trancended time and fashion.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are there any better pictures of her dress? To me it looks like another bad copy of Kate's dress, one that doesn't fit well.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Courtier

I'm going wedding dress shopping this weekend and will be trying on a replica of Catherine's gown.

Long Sleeved Satin and Lace Ball Gown - David's Bridal

As I'm 5' I seriously doubt it will look good on me, but I want to try it on anyway. :big grin:
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I'm going wedding dress shopping this weekend and will be trying on a replica of Catherine's gown.

Long Sleeved Satin and Lace Ball Gown - David's Bridal

As I'm 5' I seriously doubt it will look good on me, but I want to try it on anyway. :big grin:
You never know. With high enough heels you might make it work...lol. I'm completely jealous of you. It is one gorgeous dress.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
LOL!!! She had both: that ethereal bride's countenance and Madonna's cones, now known as the "Cambridge Cones." She had cones on her evening reception gown too. Too bad.
Oh, wow - thank you, KittyAtlanta! The "Cambridge Cones". That is priceless - and so true! I never did understand that with all the intricacy and care put into that gown's creation that they didn't make sure Kate had a more, shall we say, natural look? She has a lovely figure and that was a real distraction. Gosh, I can't stop laughing!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Courtier

Thought I'd share this picture of me in a replica of Kate's dress. I can assure you the Duchess of Durham will not be wearing the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress, or rather a replica of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duchess of Durham in DoCa's dress 0324.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	284288  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thought I'd share this picture of me in a replica of Kate's dress. I can assure you the Duchess of Durham will not be wearing the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress, or rather a replica of it.
Well, I think the bodice looks lovely on you. The skirt needs to be more A-line with fewer gathers, or no gathers.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Well, I think the bodice looks lovely on you. The skirt needs to be more A-line with fewer gathers, or no gathers.
You are absolutely right, which is why I did chose a dress that offers all you mentioned and does not overwhelm me like this one.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
You are absolutely right, which is why I did chose a dress that offers all you mentioned and does not overwhelm me like this one.
Now you'll have to post a picture of the dress you actually chose (maybe after the wedding in case your groom is a Royal Forums user)! You can't keep us in suspense forever!

Congrats by the way
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Now you'll have to post a picture of the dress you actually chose (maybe after the wedding in case your groom is a Royal Forums user)! You can't keep us in suspense forever!

Congrats by the way
Hear, hear! Congratulations!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
You look so beautiful and so radiant that I'm sure that THE dress you've chosen will be absolutely perfect!! I echo the congratulations of all us posters and my wish for you is that all your troubles of married life be little ones!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Thank you for all the congratulations!

The future Duke of Durham, who does not even look at TRF, and I have been together for almost 7 years. I am so excited to marry him.

Here is the dress, and veil, I did get. The veil will be worn a little further back on my head, and my hair will be pulled back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Dress 0324.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	284366  

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding