The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Ana, I also watch the show, but must be missing the ones with similar dresses to Catherine's!

I , even before the wedding, liked long sleeves and can clearly remember complaining to myself after watching every episode "why they always go with the mermaidy strapless one, argh?!".
I must be really behind the episodes cause covered arms is a rarity on that show!
No, you're not missing anything. I think that almost every episode that's why I was so excited to see Kate's dress it's just the sort I would want for myself. Please let this be the return of sleeves!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Music is generally not written in such a way that it can be played at a faster or slower pace to such an extent that it will make any difference. You practice your paces prior to the actual ceremony and then both music and bride will be in harmony.

Catherine would have had "music "rehearsals at the Abbey. I had the same prior to my wedding, not at the Abbey, but at a very large parish church.My processional music was the march from Waltons "Crown Imperial", the middle section from Catherine and Williams recessional music. The organist, who was a close friend , had me practice walking slowly, I'm naturally a quick walker !

Old 05-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I always thought that the Bridal party were the one's who had to match the music, not the other way around. The musicians just play and the bride etc. have practiced how to keep pace with what is being played. I think it went very well at W*Ks wedding because it was so great when she arrived at the climax of the music.
I don't want to be annoying about this; but if anybody does know the reason as to why Kate held the hand of her father and William as opposed to linking arms, I would really like to know. It's not a huge deal, I have just never seen that done before.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I don't want to be annoying about this; but if anybody does know the reason as to why Kate held the hand of her father and William as opposed to linking arms, I would really like to know. It's not a huge deal, I have just never seen that done before.
This was done at Sophie and Edward's wedding too.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I always thought that the Bridal party were the one's who had to match the music, not the other way around. The musicians just play and the bride etc. have practiced how to keep pace with what is being played. I think it went very well at W*Ks wedding because it was so great when she arrived at the climax of the music.

I would like to know why the held hands and not linked arms too.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Nobility

IMHO, this hand ceremony and no arm linking was dated back to the middle ages Ancient..I could b wong, if I am , someone will chime in.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
IMHO, this hand ceremony and no arm linking was dated back to the middle ages Ancient..I could b wong, if I am , someone will chime in.
Are you referring to the instance when the Archbishop had their hands under a part of his robe (I don't know the correct name for that part of the vestment, so I apologize in advance)? I think that was the binding of the hands, and that does date back to the Middle Ages, if not before. I know that that particular ritual was big in Ireland in that time period, and have no idea if it carried on from there. I apologize if I just totally confused you.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Nobility

Are you thinking of 'handfasting'?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think that is the correct term, but shouldn't these posts be in the Wedding Service thread rather than in this Wedding Dress one?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Yes! Thank you for giving the correct term.

On that note, back to topic.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Duchess of Cambridge's McQueen wedding gown to go on show at Buckingham Palace | Mail Online
Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Serene Highness

Now that will be a big line.
It would be nice if Sarah Burton showed the drawing made for the dress.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Nobility

The article says that the cake will be part of the display. The actual cake?! Didn't they eat it? If not, won't it be rather nasty by October?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswhitham View Post
The article says that the cake will be part of the display. The actual cake?! Didn't they eat it? If not, won't it be rather nasty by October?
Most likely it would be an artificial version of the original cake or something but not the actual sponge and icing as it wont last for 4 days
Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

The cake could last forever --- it was fruitcake!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Most likely it would be an artificial version of the original cake or something but not the actual sponge and icing as it wont last for 4 days
If they'd had sponge that would be true, but they had a traditional English fruitcake. Those are made well in advance (think a month or more) and steeped in spirits. They literally last for ages. My mother in law makes her Christmas fruitcakes in October, and my husband will make his last until his birthday in February. As an American, it grosses me out, but that's apparently normal.

As someone who makes (american style!) cakes myself as a small business, I can say that the icing will solidify and remain stable for quite a long time. Most of the cakes you see in the windows of bakeries are icing and fondant applied to molds (fake cake forms) but the icing and fondant are real and will last for a long time. You wouldn't want to eat it, of course, but it looks fine.

I don't know exactly what they will be displaying - certainly part of the cake was cut and served at the wedding reception. It may be part of the cake (some upper layers?) or it could be a replica that the baker made. Hard to say, I'm curious to learn more!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Aristocracy

I wish I could get to this. I always wish they would do a tour of royal wedding gowns.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:06 AM
Aristocracy

In British countries some families have the tradition of keeping the top layer of the wedding cake to be eaten on the first anniversary. As it is fruit cake steeped in spirits and the icing is fondant it could last for even longer than that. But in this case I should imagine it is a replica made when a choice was being made as to which cake the couple wanted.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I also want to see the sketch,and her putting on the dress on the wedding day like Mette Marit.

Some weeks before the wedding someone on TV said on the day of the wedding they were going to show who the wedding dress designer is and the sketch.I guess she was wrong!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Aristocracy

Very stylish dress...it reminds me of the dress of Grace Kelly with a little diference.....modest,but stylish and pretty !

The important thing is not to be bitter over life's dissapointments.Learn to let go of the past and recognise that every day won't be sunny.But when you find yourself in the darkness of despare,rememmber that it is only in the black of night you can see stars,and those stars will lead you home!So don't be afraid to make mistakes,to stumble and fall,cause most of the time the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most!!! :)

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding