The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Aristocracy

I looked it up and someone has clips of it on youtube. and it looks like she waited for him.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Serene Highness

What!? didn't know that..... definitely prefer the other way around
Grace did look sad and tired at her wedding but I always associated that with the amount of press she had to deal with when she arrived at Monaco (I remember a friends of hers talking to the A&E' Biography about the wedding day).

There is another post asking which royal wedding gown was your favorite, and my first choice was Grace's Kelly so I really was happy with Catherine's choice. I love lace and was really please to see it.

Sorry, but Catherine didn't had ANY difficulty walking down the abbey. She did slowly but no time to rush, people. You know, with millions watching, I would take my time, besides remember behind her was Pippa walking with 2 small girls.
Also, go back and pay attention to the music. It's soo precise they must have practiced many times.

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Aristocracy

Are you not supposed to walk slowly when you are going up the aisle, well you are walking with someone. So that would make it a little difficult to skip to the groom. I didn't think either bride (Grace or Catherine ) had trouble walking to the front. I think Catherine's dress was prettier. Her dress seemed to have more detail.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Royal Highness

At about 3:22 you can see Grace & Ranier leaving the church and it looks like she has difficulty with her dress. This is the image that has always stuck in my mind, and to which I was refering to in an earlier post. Upon watching the whole video I see she had a much easier time in the dress, and maybe just moved slowly for the sake of the cameras. (And I love how the announcer pronounces 'Monaco' - is that the right way?).
Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Aristocracy

I've never seen that video, indeed it looks like Grace was being very serious and solemn in her wedding day.

Also, the announcer pronounces Mona'co in an English way... The correct form, in French, would be with the accent in the last "o", like Monaco'.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I concur that Catherine didn't have difficulty walking down the aisle. From what I have learned, all the royal brides, Diana, Sarah, and Catherine, had to walk at a certain pace so as to get to the alter at the right time with the music. Kate got to William's side right at the time of the climax of the music. Plus about 95% of her guest would not get to see the actual ceremony unless on tv, so the bride has to walk slow so they can see her.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's not the bride's job to get to the altar when the music ends, it is the job of the musicians/organist to pace with them as they walk.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
It's not the bride's job to get to the altar when the music ends, it is the job of the musicians/organist to pace with them as they walk.
Music is generally not written in such a way that it can be played at a faster or slower pace to such an extent that it will make any difference. You practice your paces prior to the actual ceremony and then both music and bride will be in harmony.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

The current issue of Hello has numerous photos from the wedding and the gown looked absolutely lovely. The photos show more detail than even my high resolution, big screen computer does. Well worth the time to browse the magazine.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The current issue of Hello has numerous photos from the wedding and the gown looked absolutely lovely. The photos show more detail than even my high resolution, big screen computer does. Well worth the time to browse the magazine.
Tnks for that info. I was trying to decide which magazine I should buy (here the currency makes it 4x more expansive than the actual price so...). I was wondering if Life special issue was a god one also, they tend to have great pictures.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
In past times, what is now called a "blusher" was called a veil. You can't veil your face unless you are wearing a veil. Blusher is simply an evolution in vernacular and I like it.
In England the whole thing is still called a veil, whether or not it's used to cover the face. I've never heard the term 'blusher'. Must be an Americanism.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm quite sure you are correct. On this board was the first time I heard of "blusher," but it could be a regional description.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

When I first saw the dress I liked it,but then I didnt.I realised that it was unoriginal,because everyone was comparing it to Grace Kelly.And also Ive read somewhere that many women say she "copied" their dress.

Im am very disappointed that her dress was not original even though she did look beautiful.

I cant wait until I see Charlenes dress.I hope its original.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

As many of us have said, there's only so much you can do with a traditional wedding dress. This was a traditional dress and was original. None of those other women had a piece of lace belonging to Wills' mother incorporated into it. Also, the lace was specially made: original. The silk was woven specially for the gown: original. The designer had never designed/fashioned for a royal wedding til now: original.

In any case, it didn't have to be original.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Nobility

I didn't know that a piece of Diana's lace was incorporated into the dress.

The more I look at pictures of the dress from various Commemorative
Issues it becomes even more beautiful

It didn't seem to be show well on camera, from what we seen anyway.

Such exquisite detail and the corset part with bustle, absolutely gorgeous.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
My sister was gushing to me about the Hello pictures earlier tonight. I'm thinking this is the magazine I'm going to get. I'm hoping to get a book someday too.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottestreasures View Post
The more I look at pictures of the dress from various Commemorative
Issues it becomes even more beautiful

It didn't seem to be show well on camera, from what we seen anyway.

Such exquisite detail and the corset part with bustle, absolutely gorgeous.

I agree it didn't translate as beautifully on camera as it did in the photos. You couldn't see the embroidery at the bottom of the gown, etc.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Serene Highness

One thing that you couldn't see that well was the color of the dress. Once she arrived at the abbey it seemed so white and once you see the pictures you can see it has a more creamy color to it. actually I still am not sure about this. Anyways I'll try to buy my copy today to see.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post

At about 3:22 you can see Grace & Ranier leaving the church and it looks like she has difficulty with her dress. This is the image that has always stuck in my mind, and to which I was refering to in an earlier post. Upon watching the whole video I see she had a much easier time in the dress, and maybe just moved slowly for the sake of the cameras. (And I love how the announcer pronounces 'Monaco' - is that the right way?).
It looked to me as if one of the little attendants might have stepped on her dress a bit and she was looking back to make sure she was free. If that's what happened she covered it well I think she moved very elegantly.

Actually, after watching this video, I love her dress even more than before.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Commoner

A blusher is a term used for the part of the veil that covers the bride's face. I know it has been in use for over 50 years, because my mother's veil was described that way in the newspaper account of her wedding. I did not use one as my veil was fingertip length like Catherine's. I had a sister wear a fancy hat which was vastly becoming and another sister with a fingertip veil. I thought the look was very nice. Must be an Americanism because I have lived her most of my life and seen several veils described this way over the years.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding