Catherine Middleton's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I didn't think it looked like Grace Kelly at all! Grace's dress was high-necked and tight-buttoned and not see-through lace.
Actually, Grace's lace overlay was see-through (see Mad for Monaco: THE Wedding of Monaco
and linked pictures in my previous post). I think because Grace's skin was so translucent and white, it's hard to tell from most of the black and white pictures of the wedding.
Oh, and yes, MAJOR MISTAKE on the BBC's part not to show her father lifting the veil. I saw a still photo of the moment and though I hate the symbolism (bride as chattel, being "given") it looked very sweet. Did Earl Spencer do that for Diana? I can't remember...
Diana still had her blusher (the part of the veil that covers the face) during her vows. I think the blusher was cut away, off-camera, during the signing of the registry.

Catherine's dress and veil suited her perfectly. I hope she does not get stylists that try to change her personal style. I know that she will need help for her public life, but she should remain herself.

These pictures are stunning.... I've never seen some of these angles, especially the ones of her curtesy ......

All I can say is WOW!! This has got to be the best collection of photos I've seen yet from the Abbey. You can really see the intricate detail of Kate's lace, the glances between the couple and just about every nuance we could have easily missed. That one photo of Kate's father lifting her veil is totally awesome! Again.... WOW!

Diana still had her blusher (the part of the veil that covers the face) during her vows. I think the blusher was cut away, off-camera, during the signing of the registry.

Yes, the Emmanuels had to very carefully cut the blusher off. Diana wore her blusher under her tiara so it couldn't just be flipped back or removed.

Some of the coverage (at least the American ones) showed a glimpse of Michael Middleton helping push back Kate's veil, she kind of knelt down so he could get it easily. And he managed to do it perfectly, the veil was smooth, not bunched up- a wedding pet peeve of mine!

I loved the fact that her veil just flowed over her head like that. It looked very Gothic and medieval.

One thing I noticed and really liked is that if you look at both gowns that she wore, the bodices with the tiny waist do kind of give the illusion of a heart. :D

Hence the term, "sweetheart neckline"?

All I can say is WOW!! This has got to be the best collection of photos I've seen yet from the Abbey. You can really see the intricate detail of Kate's lace, the glances between the couple and just about every nuance we could have easily missed. That one photo of Kate's father lifting her veil is totally awesome! Again.... WOW!
My favorite thing about the dress is the precise pleating to create the structure of the structure. Reminds me of the attention to form that Givenchy couture was known for. Alexander McQueen headed the House of Givenchy for 5 years because creating his own label. Hubert de Givenchy was best known for his designs for Audrey Hepburn and also favored by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Princess Grace. He approved of the gown, too. Kate Middleton wows crowd in McQueen dress | Reuters

I think Kate looked almost sad compared to glowing Victoria last summer. Maybe she should've gotten the small wedding she wished for. I wish she would've chosen an updo to frame her face. Now she looked flat-headed. I also wish she would've chosen a professional make up artist. She could've done without the sad panda eyes.

I agree that she looked sad...and almost bored throughout the ceremony.

This dress was timeless, it is just what I hoped she would do, loved the lace sleeves. During the wedding I could not see all the lace and detail of the bottom of the dress( must likely because I had not slept in 20 hours, lol) but after looking at the pictures the work and detail of the dress was breath taking.

These pictures are stunning.... I've never seen some of these angles, especially the ones of her curtesy ......
Yes! saving all the pictures!
This selections of photo was marvelous done (except for William' bald spot :p)

Last edited:
I don't see why Kate needs a stylist; every time I have seen her, she has been attractively and more important, appropriately dressed.

It's been said that she is careful not to wear too many designer outfits; I actually think this is a good thing, since it allows more people to relate to her.

I hope that, even if she does use a stylist, she continues to choose clothing that appeals to her personal sense of style. (Sometimes It's a mistake to try to be too trendy).

agreed. she has her own style and always make fabulous fashion choices. I read somewhere that she even did her wedding day makeup herself. how cool is that

This dress was timeless, it is just what I hoped she would do, loved the lace sleeves. During the wedding I could not see all the lace and detail of the bottom of the dress( must likely because I had not slept in 20 hours, lol) but after looking at the pictures the work and detail of the dress was breath taking.

What amazed me was not so much the timelessness of the dress nor the fashioning of it nor the material but the thought that went into the dress to make so uniquely one of a kind. The detail of the lace, the tradition of something blue sewn into it somewhere (I imagine we'll never know exactly where) and that a piece of Diana's lace was sewn into the bodice (?) of the gown. None of these details were focused on though but just really added to the overall unique meanings to Kate of her wedding dress.

I am *still* recovering from being up so many hours in a row. Oh to be a spring chicken again! :D

I loved the fact that her veil just flowed over her head like that. It looked very Gothic and medieval.

I so agree. I thought there were Tudor, Gothic, medieval and art nouveau details (at least) - brilliant.

I think both dresses were very beautiful...we have to remember she is a princess and can't wear anything too over the top, usual Alexander McQueen clothes. She has to remain elegant at all times.

That's just my opinion!

My favorite thing about the dress is the precise pleating to create the structure of the structure. Reminds me of the attention to form that Givenchy couture was known for. Alexander McQueen headed the House of Givenchy for 5 years because creating his own label. Hubert de Givenchy was best known for his designs for Audrey Hepburn and also favored by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Princess Grace. He approved of the gown, too. Kate Middleton wows crowd in McQueen dress | Reuters

Me too! I'm still salivating over the pleating of the skirt. I want to see some really great pictures and close-ups of the dress, especially at the waist, so that I can try and figure out how it was done as I'm a self-taught seamstress. I LOVE how the pleating of the skirt falls, creating this illusion of a far slimmer skirt than what is really there. It makes my heart pitter-patter, lol. Everything about this dress and the veil was a grand slam to me.

The more I look at this dress the more I love it. I really hope Catherine's gown marks a return to classic 50s style elegance and understatement in bridal fashion. I, for one, would definately welcome that.
On a side note, why is it that so many people are intent on the Duchess becoming more fashion forward and pushing the envelope, when that is clearly not her personal style? Is it because they feel she must do that as a young royal or because they are hoping she will fill the void left by Diana. And if it's the latter is that really fair to HRH?

The more I look at this dress the more I love it. I really hope Catherine's gown marks a return to classic 50s style elegance and understatement in bridal fashion. I, for one, would definately welcome that.
On a side note, why is it that so many people are intent on the Duchess becoming more fashion forward and pushing the envelope, when that is clearly not her personal style? Is it because they feel she must do that as a young royal or because they are hoping she will fill the void left by Diana. And if it's the latter is that really fair to HRH?

I so agree with you. Above all, she should remain herself - and that is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. I find it a bit weird to call her that, I still have to get used to it.

This is whom William fell in love with, this is how the people have come to know her. That should be the most important.

But it's her wedding day and her second wedding dress so why not white....that's what you were when you're the bride, no matter how many dresses :)

I agree - she was the bride - white is entirely appropriate. She looked great.

I so agree with you. Above all, she should remain herself - and that is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. I find it a bit weird to call her that, I still have to get used to it.

This is whom William fell in love with, this is how the people have come to know her. That should be the most important.

This. I've read a bit of criticism on other non-Royal forums saying they were disappointed in Catherine's 'safe' choice, saying it wasn't glamorous enough, not cutting edge, too plain, too 'housewifey', too old fashioned etc. What utter nonsense. What I loved most about the dress is that it perfectly summed up her personality as we have come to know her - classic, sleek, elegant, graceful, stylish and above all, British!! She was true to herself on HER day, and I really hope she will find the strength to stick to this resolve and not be swayed by the likes of Vivienne Westwood (of all people, honestly :whistling:) slating her dress choices. The best quote I have read about the dress is that Catherine wore 'it' rather than 'it' wearing her.

I like both outfits. The second dress looks very comfortable and she is ready to party and dance, which I thought was the purpose of the second party.

The first dress, I loved. Everyone keeps saying it looks like Grace Kelly's dress. I see a little of that, but I see many more influences of Maria's dress from The Sound of Music.

This. I've read a bit of criticism on other non-Royal forums saying they were disappointed in Catherine's 'safe' choice, saying it wasn't glamorous enough, not cutting edge, too plain, too 'housewifey', too old fashioned etc. What utter nonsense. What I loved most about the dress is that it perfectly summed up her personality as we have come to know her - classic, sleek, elegant, graceful, stylish and above all, British!! She was true to herself on HER day, and I really hope she will find the strength to stick to this resolve and not be swayed by the likes of Vivienne Westwood (of all people, honestly :whistling:) slating her dress choices. The best quote I have read about the dress is that Catherine wore 'it' rather than 'it' wearing her.

I totally agree, it is rather nice to see someone wear something that they like. Not something that some so called fashion designer or some fashion host saids they should wear. There are has been quite a few things they say are in (hairstyles, dresses, colors etc) that I frankly think look like crap.

I have to say I love the dress, and it would be something I would want to wear.

Last edited:

I agree with everything you say here Kellydofc. For a number of years now the style of wedding dresses available seem to have been very similar - especially the bodice always being strapless/sleeveless and very unflattering to most brides'sizes. A return to a classic 1950's style (or any style using sleeves and necklines!) will allow brides to have a multitude of choices in the styling of their dress - there is definately a limit to what you can do with a corset!

I absolutely love and adore Catherine's straightforward style. She doesn't try too hard, she isn't trying to prove anything, she plays safe with ideas that she knows and is comfortable with. The styles themselves may well occassionally be seen to be abit boring or not daring enough or abit too safe. But her simple style maintains her identity and allows her to experiment in a more successful way. It certainly avoids shocks, surprises and fashion victim labels!

Well let's try to remember that people are entitled to have different opnions. So my opnion is that they are crazy and blind. JK .....:cool:
Cutting edge is not the style you would like to try right on your wedding day. Who knows what she will choose to wear during the wears, but at her wedding she needed to wear something timeless, and that dress definitely is .
Also "housewifey"! strapless and the same fabric from the top to the bottom that's what I define as a that. Impeccable lacing and embroilment are NOT!

If anyone is going to be judgmental about the dress, they have to consider all of it's pieces. If you just see as lace on top of a corset than you clearly miss half of the dress and therefore should not have your opnion considerd :lol:

Funny is a lot of these fashionistas are the same that in 15 years will look at their photos and think "WTH was I thinking". Kate won't have to worry about that :)

The model of the dress is definetly classic - which you basically expect from a duchess-to-be - but it's not original, inovative or what so ever. Those who say the dresses are basically strapless and such haven't been following the latest bridal fashion, which I have been for a year. Lace and classic, tradional styles are back in Bridal Fashion. You can see similar styles at any catalong of a respected brand, such as Pronovias.
The little details and quality of materials could be the responsible for making this dress more different from others, but unfortunately some of them don't pop out to eyes this much.

Back
Top Bottom