The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Nobility

I really love this gown, it's very timeless and elegant. It's very much in the style that Catherine wears, and I love the long lace sleeves. I always find it very sad that when I open a bridal book, all the gowns are strapless.
I think Sarah Burton captured Catherine's style perfectly. She wears the gown, it doesn't wear her. Simply Stunning!!

Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

The evening dress is nice but as I look at it more I agree that it should have some color or something.

Both dresses are not in McQueen style IMO.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Courtier

She looked amazing but I think she has the kind of complexion/figure that *anything* would have looked great on her. Would have preferred to see her maybe choose someone like Stella McCartney and do something a *wee* bit edgier and hip but altogether a great look for a future Queen. Pippa's dress made me want to stand up and shout-classy yet not too stiff and formal. Loved the flow of the fabric, the cut, and the color on her as well-she's a beauty too in her own right.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't like the way that today, the press has been saying McQueen this McQueen that. DM has a headline Here comes the McQueen. When I think Sarah Burtons name should be mentioned more often, yes the fashion house is McQueen but Sarah designed the dress.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
I may be the only one but I had no expectations of what she would wear or look like. I hoped to see a beautiful and happy bride and that is what I saw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
It's not Catherine's job to do what we expect. It was her job to do what made her, William, and their friends and family happy. We don't factor into it at all, nor should we.
Hear, hear!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

With wedding gowns, there are only so many variations on a classic style. Just because it had lace does not make it a copy of the late HSH's gowns. I have to say I was more than impressed with the design.

I thought her make up looked great; I guess I'm just out of touch with everything...so I'll just go merrily along my way.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm think she asked Burton to make it sort of like Grace Kellys dress. They do look similiar to me
http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...ng%20dress#i=5
Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Gentry

I loved the Kate's dress, it does remind me of Grace Kelly's dress which I think is a major compliment because Princess Grace's dress in my opinion is not only one of the best wedding dresses in history but will look good today, tomorrow, and 50 years from now.

I understand people wanting something more I guess original but Kate's style has never seemed to me to be anything more than traditional, simple, and classic. Besides she can't exactly go out there with Gwen Stefani's wedding dress, it had to be traditional and classic.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Although I can see why people compare it to Princess Graces dress, the overall impression I get from the bride and the dress reminds me actually of Queen Elizabeths wedding dress. Maybe it is the long, dark hair?The veil worn rather flat? Excellent choice for a country in difficult times.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

There's trousers under that dress!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Courtier

I don't see any trousers just the bottom hem of her dress.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

How can you see trousers?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

When I first heard who the designer was, I was concerned. Not really a fan of the late Alexander McQueen's work. BUT..

That gown was gorgeous. Perfect. Exquisite. I saw a photo of Kate in her gown side-by-side with Princess Grace's and it really is a beautiful variation of that iconic gown, at least from the waist up.

KM's veil even hits her waistline in the front the same way as Grace's did, but of course it didn't have the wide cummerbund.

The decoration on the bottom of the skirt was remniscent of Queen Elizabeth's bridal gown..even the line of the cut. I LOVED the way Kate's gown fell away from her hips in folds...just beautiful!

I am sure that in 20 years, Kate will not cringe when she looks at her wedding photos.....
Old 04-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Aristocracy

I think she is being funny but OMG how cool would that be to have jeans on under a cute little strap less top and the sweater I would think that would be a fun look! The belt is covering the fact it is a 2 piece dress!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23
When I first heard who the designer was, I was concerned. Not really a fan of the late Alexander McQueen's work. BUT..

I am sure that in 20 years, Kate will not cringe when she looks at her wedding photos.....
If you ask me, that was not really in keeping with McQueens work. The dress would have been way more flashy and stunning had Alexander been able to design it.

I think she'll cringe too.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I see Grace Kelly, but I also see Princess Margaret- maybe in the way the waist and skirt are?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

This photo beautifully highlights the lace detailing running along the bottom of the dress! Just stunning!
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk...735jo1_500.jpg

Her waist was fierce! Beautifull
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
This photo beautifully highlights the lace detailing running along the bottom of the dress! Just stunning!
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk...735jo1_500.jpg

Her waist was fierce! Beautifull
I have to agree that detail on the bottom is so beautiful. I think that is my favorite part of the gown I want to see a detailed look at the train.
Her waist is fierce in this and the evening gown too!
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
I see Grace Kelly, but I also see Princess Margaret- maybe in the way the waist and skirt are?
Yes the way the skirt falls back into a train in those gathers reminds me of Margaret's dress and also Mette Marit's. There is also a Spanish feel with the kind of bustle fold at the back and it has a subtle feel of both infantas' dresses. All in all for me it is a triumph of a royal wedding dress.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
With wedding gowns, there are only so many variations on a classic style. Just because it had lace does not make it a copy of the late HSH's gowns. I have to say I was more than impressed with the design.

I thought her make up looked great; I guess I'm just out of touch with everything...so I'll just go merrily along my way.
no you are not, I also was very impressed with the dress. The problem is with others.

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding