Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate Middleton’s Tiara: Jewelry Designers Sketch Dream Tiaras

Kate Middleton

the Royal Asscher is my favorite, even if not for the wedding

Last edited:
Does anyone have a feeling that she may opt to wear flowers in her hair on the way into the wedding, and emerge from the vestry wearing a tiara?

Sarah Ferguson did that as an homage to Queen Victoria.

There are also many rumours on the net that she wont wear a veil over her face.

The Strathmore Tiara, even fully reset with D quality diamonds, is no way worth $10.5 million. That's crazy.

I hope it's not the Strathmore Tiara. It's pretty ugly in my opinion.

Probably not in "sensible" terms. But how often have we seen a piece with a unique provenance fetch a ridiculous amount of money? This would be the most unique you could get. Only ever worn by the Queen Mother and gifted to her by her father as a wedding present.

I think it is a really pretty & delicate piece.

The Strathmore Tiara, even fully reset with D quality diamonds, is no way worth $10.5 million. That's crazy.

I hope it's not the Strathmore Tiara. It's pretty ugly in my opinion.

I agree with you. The strathmore is pretty sparse as far as royal tiaras go. The Fringe tiara with it's multitude of high quality rounds, would be closer to that mark IMO. But the Strathmore? Ummm...no.

I also don't care for the Strathmore. It was worn as a bandeau in the style of the 20's by the Queen Mother which was appropriate for it's sparse delicate design. As a tiara worn on the top of your head....it lacks grandeur and substance. Kate is tall and elegant with beautiful abundant hair. She can carry off a larger tiara and IMO will need one for Westminster Abbey.

I can see the Strathmore being given to the wife of Harry. But Catherine needs something more substantial befitting her rank after marriage as the wife of the second in line to the throne.

Does the Strathmore tiara belong to the royal family now, or was it lent to the Queen mother for her wedding as her family's tiara?
The Spencer tiara was lent to Diana, and very beautiful it looked on her too.
If I am not mistaken it is now the property of her brother.

Kate Middleton’s Tiara: Jewelry Designers Sketch Dream Tiaras

Kate Middleton

the Royal Asscher is my favorite, even if not for the wedding

I like the Judith Ripka and Tacori designs. How great would it be to see those come to life!

Before her marriage, she borrowed the Scroll Tiara from The Queen or wore the Papyrus Fan Tiara that was a gift from her mother, which she also used for many years.
That Papyrus Tiara would also be a great choice for Kate. Its a very pretty tiara. Is that still in QEII's collection?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Strathmore Tiara belongs to HM now it was gifted to the QM on her wedding day by her father the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.

Note: The QM did not wear the Strathmore on her wedding day. she had a simple headpiece of mryth(sp) and flowers (roses I believe) ...

How about The Duchess of Teck Circlet tiara..(I think it is also a neckless) does anyone know some history or if HM still has it? It is wonderful and is much more grand!
http://coloreddiamond.info/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2804.0;attach=23227
http://coloreddiamond.info/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2804.0;attach=23228

That Papyrus Tiara would also be a great choice for Kate. Its a very pretty tiara. Is that still in QEII's collection?

It belongs to either Viscount Linley or Lady Sarah now. The tiara was a gift from The Queen Mother to Princess Margaret.

I do like the scroll tiara..its small enough and not overbearing..

The tiara worn by Sarah, Duchess of York following her marriage [she walked up the aisle wearing flowers, with the tiara actually 'hidden' below her veil, to be quickly subsituted for the flowers whilst she was signing the register] has an interesting story.

The Ferguson family did not have their own family tiara, and so the one which Sarah wore at her wedding had initially been hired by her family from Garrard, who were then the Crown Jewellers. [hiring tiaras is not unknown in the UK even among titled families, because death duties etc have often meant that family tiaras have had to be 'sacrificed' to pay the bills etc]. It was then that the queen decided to buy the tiara for Sarah. Many Royal watchers took that to be a common sense decision (as well as a generous one) on the part of Her Majesty - had she not bought the tiara for Sarah, it would have been returned to Garrard, with the chance that in due course they would have hired it out to another person. One occasion when tiaras are worn is during the State Opening of Parliament - imagine the fun that certain sections of the British Press would have had saying 'Oh, look at Lady XYZ in all her borrowed finery - she is wearing the tiara that the Duchess of York wore a few months ago at her wedding'.

Whilst this observation probably belongs more properly on another thread, Sarah Feguson actually 'did quite well' with the jewels she was given. Many presents made to The Princess of Wales by the queen were in fact 'Royal' jewels, which would always be understood to revert to the Queen / The Crown after her death [which indeed was the case]. Even when her marriage was strong, The Duchess of York received no such 'Royal Jewels' if you see what I mean. The Queen very generously made lots of presents of jewellery to Sarah, which she retains. No doubt people here remember the jewels that were stolen from Sarah's luggage at New York airport - they were all 'personal gifts' she had received.

Alex

Last edited:
I really like the Strathmore Tiara and would love to see it on Catherine!

I really like the Strathmore Tiara and would love to see it on Catherine!

I don't think the Strathmore will do much for Catherine as she has a lot of hair. It's too small and old-fashioned. Same thing with the Scroll Tiara, although that is a nice one that might work.

She needs a higher profile tiara, but not too wide for her narrow head.

It belongs to either Viscount Linley or Lady Sarah now. The tiara was a gift from The Queen Mother to Princess Margaret.

Thats too bad. Not really any opportunities to see it then.

I don't think the Strathmore will do much for Catherine as she has a lot of hair. It's too small and old-fashioned. Same thing with the Scroll Tiara, although that is a nice one that might work.

She needs a higher profile tiara, but not too wide for her narrow head.
I suggest your visit the "Photoshopping Royal Tiaras and Jewels" thread with particular attention to Madame Royale's exquisite offering on page 40, post number 782.

I defy anyone to call that "Small"!

I think the Strathmore looked "sparse" in its original "across the brow" wearing. Closed up a little and worn in the customary fashion it would not look so.

Whatever Tiara is chosen, I do hope that Catherine is practising wearing one to get the feel of it on her head.

Has anyone here ever worn a tiara?

I have. And believe you me, they are VERY heavy! Before the Coronation, Her Majesty used to practise wearing her crown for a couple of hours. Catherine won't be used to how heavy tiaras feel...and so I hope that the 'Royal Training' that she is allegedly undergoing includes a bit of practice in this respect.

Alex

I have heard that they can be quite heavy and wasn't it also said that the Lover's Knot tiara gave Diana headaches? I've never worn one myself but I'm the type of person that wearing anything at all on my head gets uncomfortable.

All I've read so far about Kate's wedding training is that she has been practicing getting in and out of the carriage as that can prove tricky with a wedding gown and train and also getting used to the feel of the carriage in transport as the motion can sometimes cause nausea. With so much attention given to these details, I would imagine that the weight of a tiara wouldn't be overlooked. Perhaps she has a faux tiara similar in weight that she's wearing around the home in Anglesy while she dusts, vacuums and cooks dinner. :ROFLMAO:

I suggest your visit the "Photoshopping Royal Tiaras and Jewels" thread with particular attention to Madame Royale's exquisite offering on page 40, post number 782.

I so agree.. I went and took a look after reading your post it is wonderful on her ......

i really loved this picture, most professionals cant take such a great pic. i really hope she does wear her hair up.

You're right....it does look wonderful on her! She has a small head and the Strathmore might be perfect (assuming they can restore and re-set the diamonds).

The Lover's Knot Tiara looked good on her too, but I do think a smaller tiara is best.

If Camilla can be dressed up in the delhi durbar and the boucheron tiara and QEQM's engagement ring (no one shouts how abnormal he's marrying his grandmother') then I really fail to see what the problem would be for the wife of Prince William to wear the Lovers Knot tiara. There are some here that would do anything < ed Warren > to make sure that Diana is as dead as King Tut and NEVER mentioned again. I am eagerly anticipating the wedding!

Last edited:
I know we've discussed Charles buying Kate a tiara but is it possible Camilla could lend Kate a tiara of hers? Does Camilla have any of wife of POW?

She could, but I doubt that will happen. Catherine will either be wearing a new one purchased as a wedding gift or one given to her by The Queen. I think the odds are strong it will, in fact, be the Lover's Knot Tiara.

The "Girls of Britain and Ireland" tiara needs to be on Kate's head for that wedding. Nothing else will suffice, unless of course it's the Lover's knot. However, I think that would burden Catherine with the memory of Princess Di.....as much as I love her.

I think Diana would want Kate to have her own jewelry, her own reputation, and not to be burdened by significant elements of Diana's ill-fated marriage to Prince Charles. Let's introduce something new and vibrant. As much as I would LOVE to see the Lover's Knot tiara in public again....I think Catherine deserves something beautiful of her own with an opportunity to have a fresh start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom