Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Rundell tiara - George and Mary might have made sure that any wedding gifts would remain in their line of the family but isn't there a possibility that the tiara from that parure had already left the " main " family when Queen Alexandra died? What if Alexandra had gifted the tiara away when she was still alive? I have looked to various close ups of the Norvegian Maltese cross tiara and the bases look so similar to me...

Last edited:
I always thought the Rundell tiara to be particularly unnatractive and a waste of good diamonds, so I very much hope it's been dismantled and the stones put to better use.

About the Rundell tiara - George and Mary might have made sure that any wedding gifts would remain in their line of the family but isn't there a possibility that the tiara from that parure had already left the " main " family when Queen Alexandra died? What if Alexandra had gifted the tiara away when she was still alive? I have looked to various close ups of the Norvegian Maltese cross tiara and the bases look so similar to me...

I created this comparison between the small version of the Rundell tiara worn by Queen Alexandra and the base of the Malteser tiara worn by Princess Märtha-Louise.
http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/21401/2521011920105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
Imo they are not a match.

There was a whole parure, not just a choker associated with the Cambridge name. THe Delhi Durbar and Vladimir tiaras are also associated with that parure.

Last edited:
I think she will wear those tiaras, they would look wonderful on her and I don't see why they should go to Catherine and miss out the Kings wife.

My reason for saying Camilla will not wear The Girls and The Vladimir's is simply because it seems to me that the "signature" tiaras of each Queen appear to skip a generation to be worn again.

As for the picture with the comparison between the small version of the Rundell tiara the base of the Maltese tiara, when I saw it, the first thing that came to my mind was that the base of the Rundell could be Princess Anne's mistery tiara! You see, you devide the circle in two and put the two parts toghether on the front.

Last edited:
Didn't the QM wear them?

No the remained Queen Mary's property how long she was alive and she left them direct to the present Queen. She gave the Girls of GB and I to the opresent Queen as Wedding gift.

Strange, I wonder why she did that.
I don't see QE doing that.

I would think the emerald and diamond parure is one of the pieces Queen Mary specified in her Will as belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it. Some of the gems used to create it were a Durbar gift from the Indian mahrahanis.

I hope I didn't miss where this was mentioned, but does anyone know what parts of Diana's jewel collection went to whom? I thought it was mentioned that Harry had been given Diana's Sapphire ring, but obviously that wasn't the case. Since she had several Sapphire pieces that matched the design of the ring, I wonder if William was given all the Sapphires, and Harry other pieces?

I don't see the Queen parting with the Girls of GB tiara in her lifetime so I don't think she will be gifting it to Kate anytime soon and I really really don't see the Queen leaving any of her personal property to anyone but the very next heir. It wld be too expensive not too. Also, I can't see Kate wearing the Girls of GB till she is Queen Consort herself. Elizabeth has made the tiara too significant to be worn by anything other than a Queen. I'm am really hoping that the Papyrus Tiara and that the Teck Circlet Necklace went back to the crown. These wld make perfect gifts for the wife of the heir of the heir!

I wasn't that familiar with the Rundell tiara and after seeing it I am going to go with No.

I have been checking out the Queen's Jewels by Leslie Field and the Royal Jewels by Suzy Menkes to get some additional ideas...and so far...nothing.

At first, I didn't see Kate wearing Granny's Tiara or the Fringe Tiara but after reading the books I think that it might be either one of them. The Cambridge Lover's Knot would be a nice touch if William becomes the Duke of Cambridge...but I think its tied in the public eye with Diana...and the Queen while respecting the memory of Diana as William's mother.. wouldn't want the wedding to be all about Diana. More of William and Kate.

First of all, I believe the Fringe Tiara was worn by the Queen and Anne on their wedding days. So it might be some nice continuity. Although I think it might be too big for Kate. If not, Granny's Tiara (Girls of Great Britain and Ireland)...Queen Mary decided to leave this to the crown so that it can be worn by future Queens...and unless something happens...after Camilla...Kate is it.

I hope I am not confusing the names...in the books...they are pretty much called different things.

Last edited:
Diana's jewels were her personal property and now belong to William and Harry. The royal pieces, like the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald Choker, were wedding gifts from The Queen and returned to her.

Since William and Harry were both still teenage minors when she died, the jewels were presumbly placed in safekeeping for when they married. But they were each permitted to pick something out as a memento at the time, with Harry choosing her sapphire and diamond engagement ring and William taking her gold Cartier Tank Francaise watch.

William confirmed he asked Harry if he could give Catherine the ring and he took it from the safe they use at Clarence House. So I'm sure they have her other jewels as well.

Thank you branchg! I didn't know William had asked for the ring. I thought perhaps the information was wrong as to whom got what. It obviously meant a lot to Harry to have that ring since he chose it out of all her other jewels. It also shows how much he loves his brother and how special he thinks Kate is to let go of such a special ring rather than saving it for his own future wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
branchg said:
Diana's jewels were her personal property and now belong to William and Harry. The royal pieces, like the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald Choker, were wedding gifts from The Queen and returned to her.

Since William and Harry were both still teenage minors when she died, the jewels were presumbly placed in safekeeping for when they married. But they were each permitted to pick something out as a memento at the time, with Harry choosing her sapphire and diamond engagement ring and William taking her gold Cartier Tank Francaise watch.

William confirmed he asked Harry if he could give Catherine the ring and he took it from the safe they use at Clarence House. So I'm sure they have her other jewels as well.

How do you know this? I've not seen this talked about in any of the official information released!

First of all, I believe the Fringe Tiara was worn by the Queen and Anne on their wedding days. So it might be some nice continuity.

If the fringe is to become the "Wedding Tiara" then I think the next person we will see wear it will be Zara & then Beatrice, Eugenie &, in time, Louise. IMO it would become descendants of the current major line and then be reserved for daughters & granddaughters of the sovereign.

If the fringe is to become the "Wedding Tiara" then I think the next person we will see wear it will be Zara & then Beatrice, Eugenie &, in time, Louise. IMO it would become descendants of the current major line and then be reserved for daughters & granddaughters of the sovereign.

... unless it becomes Catherine's main tiara.

... unless it becomes Catherine's main tiara.

My understanding was that it was part of the jewels designated "for all future Queen's". If that is correct then it will not leave the main line but will be available to brides of the Blood Royal.

As for the picture with the comparison between the small version of the Rundell tiara the base of the Maltese tiara, when I saw it, the first thing that came to my mind was that the base of the Rundell could be Princess Anne's mistery tiara! You see, you devide the circle in two and put the two parts toghether on the front.
I rather believe that the mystery tiara which Princess Anne wore at the state banquett for the Chinese president was the meander tiara which The Queen Mother inheritet from Mrs. Greville: http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/30926/2716741210105578647S600x600Q85.jpg

I don't see the Queen parting with the Girls of GB tiara in her lifetime so I don't think she will be gifting it to Kate anytime soon and I really really don't see the Queen leaving any of her personal property to anyone but the very next heir. It wld be too expensive not too. Also, I can't see Kate wearing the Girls of GB till she is Queen Consort herself. Elizabeth has made the tiara too significant to be worn by anything other than a Queen. I'm am really hoping that the Papyrus Tiara and that the Teck Circlet Necklace went back to the crown. These wld make perfect gifts for the wife of the heir of the heir!
I agree that the Queen will leave her jewellery to the next King, thus avoiding the death duties. But I imagine that Charles and Camilla will lend jewellery to Catherine, so that there will be more than one tiara available for her. Don't forget that Camilla wore the honeycomb tiara and the Delhi Durbar tiara, and we must assume that they are not her personal property but borrowed from HM.

I wasn't that familiar with the Rundell tiara...
Here is a picture of the complete version of the Rundell tiara. http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/36131/2041183370105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
I think it looks much better than the small version, which is really odd with this elements sticking out of the bandeau. But I chose that picture for the comparison because it showed the base best.
Still I think it's too big as a first tiara for Catherine.

About additional ideas: the meander tiara from the Greville inheritance which I posted above might be available. But it looks so severe and geometric! It's certainly do not want to see on the bride. I can imagine this tiara sometime in the 1930's, with the fluffy feather softening the harsh shape. But who knows, maybe a fluffy veil would have the same softening effect?

About the fringe tiara: it made a nice wedding tiara for the Queen and Princess Anne, and it really looks very good with a veil. But as it was designated to the crown it is highly unlikely to become a permanent loan for Catherine.

:previous: Right, but as she is a future queen...not so much out of the question IMO.

I am sure there are more in the vaults and the books for Beatrice and Eugenie. Off hand (not looking at any photos/threads) didn't Autumn wear Anne's tiara...wasn't it the one from Princess Andrew of Greece? I would imagine that Zara would wear that.

Autumn wore the festoon tiara which Princess Anne received from a shipping company. I think tha Zara will choose between the festoon tiara and the greek key tiara which originates from Princess Andrew. And Beatrice and Eugenie most likely will borrow their mother's tiara for their weddings.
Apart from their weddings, will Autumn, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie ever wear a tiara again? Apart from state banquetts there are no white tie events in GB. And they may never attend state banquets, or represent the monarch at foreign events. Maybe the next coronation will be white tie? Anyway, I don't think that HM is reserving tiaras for her granddaughters.

My understanding was that it was part of the jewels designated "for all future Queen's". If that is correct then it will not leave the main line but will be available to brides of the Blood Royal.

Catherine is very much "main line". Irrespective of whether Catherine uses it, I am not sure you will see the fringe tiara become the wedding tiara for princesses of royal blood. Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise are really quite far away from the main line, and their weddings will really be family gatherings as opposed to major royal events.

Much as I would love to see the complete Rundell tiara reappear with either Catherine or Camilla, I personally do not think it still exists. It has been such a long time it has been seen, so it is quite possoble the stones were used elsewhere, just as the Loop tiara and the Nizam of Hyderabad are rumoured to have been broken up.

I know it's probably up to the Queen's discretion to gift Catherine whichever tiara she feels like, but given her closeness with her grandson and that Catherine has not made any major faux pas during all their years of dating, I'm sure she'll try to give Catherine a tiara that Catherine actually likes. Even though it's a beautiful piece, the Cambridge Lovers' Knot tiara is too old-school romantic for Catherine. It was good on Diana during the 80s when she was in her early 20s and wearing all those poofy gowns. I think Catherine needs something more sleek and sophisticated. My favorite would be the Meander (even though it's probably belongs to Princess Anne now). It's a very ancient motif but can pass for a very modern design at the same time. Same goes for the fringe and kokoshnik tiaras.

I do not think HM will give Catherine any of the tiaras she actively uses. So that rules out the Kokoshnik, GGB&NI and the Grand Duchess. I also think these are quite substantial pieces, and probably more suitable for a more mature lady, potentially Camilla.

Increasingly, I think the selection will be drawn from the Strathmore Rose, the Fringe and the Teck Crescent. I do not think the Rundell still exists, and I think the Scroll has probably been given to either Margaret or Anne.

I really hope the Lovers Knot does not end up being Kate's wedding tiara. It is far too closely identified with Diana, and I think Catherine can do without any more of the obvious comparisons in her earlier years than she will already have to contend with.

How do you know this? I've not seen this talked about in any of the official information released!

I also read that William and Harry had said whom ever got married first would get the ring.. I don't remember who printed the article...

Hello, Lemon Lyman.
Maybe this will be helpful. The ring actually belonged to both boys.

Both Prince William and Prince Harry inherited their mother's estate. Indeed, Prince Harry selected his mother's sapphire and diamond engagement ring as a memento (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1330366/Prince-Williams-engagement-ring-Kate-Middleton-sapphire-diamonds.html) when they visited Kensington Palace four months after Diana's death. Even though it was with Prince Harry, this ring remained the property of both brothers. According to this article (http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20443190,00.html), the brothers had an agreement that whoever got engaged first would present their mother's engagement ring when they proposed marriage.
Diana's Rings

I think she should get a new tiara or a one-time loan for the wedding as it has been reported that they are not even going to be full-time royals after the wedding. I think the big pieces should be saved until you are ready to do the full-time job.

Cambridge Lover's Knot

I totally agree about the Lover's Knot being too associated with Diana to be a fair choice/burden for Kate. It should emerge down the road as an alternate for state functions....give it another decade at least. I wrote a blog post with a rundown of the tiara's that are "in play" and I received a lot of grief for placing the Lover's Knot so low in preference. I left off the "Meander" tiara as it was definitely given to Princess Anne in the early 1970s. I included the "Scroll" because it has the lightness and sweetness of the "Strathmore Rose" and was likely only on loan to Margaret and Anne. I attached my post below if you are curious...

AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom