Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Catherine should have the Rundell tiara and Harry's wife the Strathmore.

The Rundell is a beautiful and "material" tiara, though I query whether it too big for somebody like Kate to wear at her wedding.

The Rundell is a beautiful and "material" tiara, though I query whether it too big for somebody like Kate to wear at her wedding.

It appears that it is quite versatile with elements able to be removed.

I don't think William and Catherine will let their wedding turn into a circus. I think whatever happens, and her wedding attire will be very elegant and classy. The Rundell is a beautiful tiara.

Has anyone seen the Ruby Oriental Circlet since the Queen Mother died? I do not think that I have seen Camille in it yet. I think that would be perfect for Kate, or maybe the George III Fringe. I say the Oriental because we have at least seen it on someone fairly recently, whereas the Rundell has not been seen for many, many years. I think the chances that it has been broken up into something else are very high.

Someone mentioned a long time ago that the Queen was pretty good about who she gave the major pieces of jewels to, so that they would remain in the Family, so there was no need to do something like the Dutch royal family have done, create a trust or foundation that owns all the jewels of the royal family. I still think that is the best solution because if you where to do that then all the women in the family can wear anything in the foundation, with no worry of the pieces being given away when someone dies, and also then anyone can wear anything, without someone saying things such as, well the Queen has be careful because she still needs to wear them, or oh no that is the Duchess of Cornwall's, so and so cannot wear that.
There would be no worry about, well did the Queen "give" that to her, or just "Loaned" it. It would stay in the foundation no matter what.
Plus, then we would not be sitting here wondering what the Queen was going to give her, she would have access to everything and she would not be limited to just one or two tiaras.

Has anyone seen the Ruby Oriental Circlet since the Queen Mother died? I do not think that I have seen Camille in it yet. I think that would be perfect for Kate, or maybe the George III Fringe. I say the Oriental because we have at least seen it on someone fairly recently, whereas the Rundell has not been seen for many, many years. I think the chances that it has been broken up into something else are very high.

The Oriental Cirvlet was one time worn by the Queen ata Commonwealth Gahering i believe at Malta. It can not worn by Camilla atthe moment as it was left to the Crown by Queen Vicotira and therefore only Queens can wear it. The present Queen allowed her mother to use it further after the death of her father because it was a favourite of the Queen Mother.

The Queen has worn the Oriental Circlet once since her Mother passed away. It was in Malta a couple of years ago. Personally, I'd like to see this piece with the original Opal's restored.

They wouldn't know.
She isn't a spencer and she shouldn't wear the tiara.

They wouldn't know.
She isn't a spencer and she shouldn't wear the tiara.

The Spencer tiara and the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara are totally different tiaras. The Lover's Knot was given to Diana by the Queen and is currently being held at BP.

I do think this is all supposition or perhaps journalists trying to make a buck but the thought did occur to me that should William the title of Duke of Cambridge for his wedding day, the Cambridge tiara would be a perfect compliment.

Another afterthought... this tiara was made for Queen Mary back in 1913 and has been in the Windsor family for years before given to Diana. This tiara would have a history on both sides of William's family so maybe it IS the perfect choice?

Last edited:
Osipi has a point but I would rather see the bride with a tiara that has not been seen for a long time, just to know for sure it still exists.

I would rather see her wearing a different tiara, she has to endure enough comparison to Diana already...

How tall is it, does anyone know? She also has lovely long hair and can arrange an elegant up-do to anchor whatever tiara.

That's great, if it is true. I have always thought that the Cambridge Tiara is perfect for a wedding tiara, with heart shapes in it.
I do agree with several other people about the Portland Sapphire Tiara that is up for sale. It is just perfect. It is mostly diamonds and pearls, with just a few sapphires in it. It looks like it was made to go with Kate's engagement ring. and I like how it almost a diadem and not just a tiara It looks fairly light, so maybe it would not give the wearer a headache.
I think the Middletons should buy it for Kate. They are not having to pay for the wedding, probably just the dress. Think about how Kate would feel wearing it. The sense of confidence it would give her, knowing that it came from her family, that she does not have to rely on the Windsors for all her finery. She would put it on with pride every time she took it out of it's case.
But I think the Queen should still give her another tiara, one with the royal past. No one has mentioned the Queen's sapphire tiara, that she had made in 1963 to go with the Sapphire necklace and earrings that her father George VI gave her for her wedding in 1947. She doesn't wear those all too often anymore. Give those to Kate and she would have a full Sapphire Parure.
Then I think Charles should give his new daughter-in-law a brand new tiara from Cartier's, so that she has something fresh and modern, and you know how Charles likes to spend money and you know Cartier will give him something very stylish, maybe not like the Queens attempts at designing new tiaras.
Then she would have three tiaras to start with. One from her family, one from Granny, and one from Papa-in-law. Hell, maybe the Saudi's will give a couple as well.

when she was 21, Princess Anne was photographed in a series of photos taken in front of a painting, almost like she was part of the painting, in a white dress and with a very pretty tiara, similar to Fergie's. That would look lovely on Kate. Anne has never worn it again.

when she was 21, Princess Anne was photographed in a series of photos taken in front of a painting, almost like she was part of the painting, in a white dress and with a very pretty tiara, similar to Fergie's. That would look lovely on Kate. Anne has never worn it again.
I have heard speculations that the mystery tiara from this portrait was supplied by the photographer just for the portrait. Otherwise it I can't imagine why Princess Anne would never have worn it again.
It was a very beautiful piece and would look stunning on Kate. But I would like to see her with a tiara with a longer royal history.

Maybe I'm crazy but I have this feeling that Catherine won't wear a tiara (I admit I will be disappointed). I think she willl have some stunning antique diamond pins in her hair with a gorgeous antique veil. Maybe not what we expect from the BRF but what better way to be modern yet elegant.

Maybe I'm crazy but I have this feeling that Catherine won't wear a tiara (I admit I will be disappointed). I think she willl have some stunning antique diamond pins in her hair with a gorgeous antique veil. Maybe not what we expect from the BRF but what better way to be modern yet elegant.
While I love antique lace veils and would love to see one on Catherine, the Windsors don't seem to have any heirloom lace veils. No British royal has worn one recently, not since the late Queen Mum?

...the Portland Sapphire Tiara that is up for sale...I think the Middletons should buy it for Kate.
I would love for what you said to happen to Kate particularly about her family buying her the tiara... so let's all cross our fingers. I cannot wait to see what jewels the Saudi's will give her. I remember the sapphires they gave to Diana. They were stunning. I'm sure they've started shopping around for jewels for the future Queen Catherine. And it will be stunning. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just walking through Burlington Arcade in London yesterday and saw there were a number of necklaces available that could be put on a frame to create a lovely tiara not dissimilar in style to what Princess Mary of Denmark has. Perhaps Kate's parents could get her something like that as a wedding present, instead of paying thousands for a dress that will never get used again. This would allow her to have a "Middleton" tiara, in addition to any royal tiaras she may receive.

While I love antique lace veils and would love to see one on Catherine, the Windsors don't seem to have any heirloom lace veils. No British royal has worn one recently, not since the late Queen Mum?

Princess Alexandra's veil was of antique lace that had been given to her by Lady Patricia Ramsey (formerly Princess Patricia of Connaught). The design was of acorns & oak leaves.

I would love for what you said to happen to Kate particularly about her family buying her the tiara... so let's all cross our fingers. I cannot wait to see what jewels the Saudi's will give her. I remember the sapphires they gave to Diana. They were stunning. I'm sure they've started shopping around for jewels for the future Queen Catherine. And it will be stunning. :flowers:

Although the various UAE and Saudi royals are always very generous with giving jewels to other royal people, I do feel that the design of most jewels they give are too flashy, and looks mediocre to downright ugly (Letizia's necklace for example).

Although the various UAE and Saudi royals are always very generous with giving jewels to other royal people, I do feel that the design of most jewels they give are too flashy, and looks mediocre to downright ugly (Letizia's necklace for example).

Or the rubys Camilla got. It's onyl strange that for example the belgians seems to have got no Jewellry. I think Philippe and Mathilde have made a few Visits there.

Maybe they have a stricter policy in accepting gifts in general and gifts from undemocratic potentates in specific? Queen Paola did receive a demi parure from Kabila when she and her husband visited the Congo this summer, but she won't wear them.

Maybe they have a stricter policy in accepting gifts in general and gifts from undemocratic potentates in specific? Queen Paola did receive a demi parure from Kabila when she and her husband visited the Congo this summer, but she won't wear them.

Lets be clear, the Belgian royal family just does not have the clout
or presence on the world stage the way some of the other royals have. The M-E rulers are no fools, and will only give where they think they can get somnething back in return. I just don't believe it has anuthing to do about policies of accepting gifts, whether it is from democratic or undemocratic states.

True, the British get the most impressive things, and after that the Spaniards and then come the lesser Gods ;). And indeed, they don't give them for nothing & expect something in return, which is exactly why gifts like these should not be accepted in this day and age.

There are rumours that Máxima's chandeleer earrings were a gift from the UAE, as were her emerald earrings. The Danish queen has a necklace that was a gift from a ME ruler and Queen SIlvia has some sets of modern jewelry that are said to be a gift from the sultan of Brunei (note that most of the above was never confirmed by the various courts).

I am not sure if accepting these gifts is very wise anno 2010. In my own country public servants can not accept gifts above 50 euros and there is always a lot of criticism whenever it does happen. Added to that, to accept things from undemocratic rulers will reflect badly on the image of the RF, as was the case with Kabila's blood diamonds for Queen Paola.

---

Stefan, I agree with you, the design of Camilla's ruby necklace is hoirrible. One can only hope that in due time she will have the necklace broken up. Since it contains so many nice rubies they could easily create a new ruby parure with it.

Last edited:

Lady Nicholas Windsor wore a lace veil, no tiara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom