The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
But was her father still alive until 1993? Because before he died it was his to lend....

I just heard it on this show....'demanded' was their word, who knows how true it is or is not. They never said she wouldn't give it back, just that he demanded it back
The Spencer Tiara belonged to Charles as it was left to him as a bequest upon his grandfather's death in 1975. Since he was still a child and unmarried, it was borrowed by Diana after her marriage in 1981.

Victoria wore the tiara on her wedding day, but Diana continued to wear it. After the official separation of the Wales, Charles felt it should be returned to him.

Diana retained the Lover's Knot Tiara, so it's not like she didn't have anything for her use. And she didn't need a tiara after her separation anyway as she was not expected to attend state dinners after that.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg

The Spencer Tiara belonged to Charles as it was left to him as a bequest upon his grandfather's death in 1975. Since he was still a child and unmarried, it was borrowed by Diana after her marriage in 1981.
Oh- good to know, I assumed as Spencer tiara was owned by the Earl Spencer whomever that is

Good talk- now we better get back on topic, Kates wedding tiara...

Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Gentry

I had this idea that Kate could wear diamond brooches in her hair and then while they're signing the register, the brooches could be put into a tiara frame and she would wear the tiara back down the aisle as the new princess.

I don't think that would be possible with any of the current tiaras in the Queen's collection though.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Boy isn,t that the truth.
He does seem to be a somewhat prickly pear, doesn't he? But I've heard him cracking jokes and at times I think he can be personable. We all have our good days and bad ones...OK back to the tiara!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Serene Highness

Something that would be interesting to see but unlikely to happen: Catherine wears one tiara for the ceremony and then another for pictures. Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium (Grand Duchess of Luxembourg) did that. Okay, I know that was the royal exception and definitely not the rule in the British royal family, but this girl would love to see a few more tiaras come out of the vaults.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristineML View Post
I had this idea that Kate could wear diamond brooches in her hair and then while they're signing the register, the brooches could be put into a tiara frame and she would wear the tiara back down the aisle as the new princess.

I don't think that would be possible with any of the current tiaras in the Queen's collection though.
I quite like this idea, I think it is possible but without walking in with brooches in her hair as it would be a hassle to take them out without pulling some strands out of place. I think walking in with just her veil and then a tiara going out.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I think adding anything would be a problem and let's face it, we wouldn't want them hanging about in the chapel too long after signing the Register. The crowds from outside would be howling with anticipation.

Those inside would be grinding their teeth as they smiled for the camera's that will have nothing else to do but pan the guests to see who has the most outrageously ugly hat!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristineML View Post

Do you think of something like the diamond stars what Empress Elisabeth (of Wittelsbach, common known as Sisi) wore in her hair?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Aristocracy

Mind Change!

I've decided that maybe The Portland is too heavy for a Woman who doesn't have a nineteenth century beehive. My new choice for the second tiara Kate gets is the Londonderry. The Teck Crescent remains my choice for the wedding, though
Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Something that would be interesting to see but unlikely to happen: Catherine wears one tiara for the ceremony and then another for pictures. Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium (Grand Duchess of Luxembourg) did that. Okay, I know that was the royal exception and definitely not the rule in the British royal family, but this girl would love to see a few more tiaras come out of the vaults.

There's been reference to the many tiaras owned by the Queen, but when there's speculation about which Kate will wear, it seems there's only mention of five or six!

How many does she actually have to choose from, that are currently wearable?
If we rule out the Queen's favorites, doesn't it come down to two or perhaps three?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Commoner

I think the count is somewhere up around thirty. But not all would be suitable, as colored stones are probably not appropriate for the wedding, and HM has rubies, emeralds, aquamarines, sapphires, etc., not just plain diamond ones...
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

What's the name of the tiaras Anne and Diana wore for their weddings? I'm rethinking the fringe tiara now:)
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
What's the name of the tiaras Anne and Diana wore for their weddings? I'm rethinking the fringe tiara now:)

Anne wore the Fringe tiara, Diana wore the Spencer tiara. We know the latter is absolutely out of the question, as for the former, it has the pattern of being worn by the daughters of the sovereign for their weddings; while Zara isn't the daughter of the sovereign, she's the granddaughter of the sovereign, so it's more likely that she'll wear it.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Colored stones (and gowns) are perfectly suitable if the bride wants to wear them. However, the tradition of a white wedding generally means diamonds.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Colored stones (and gowns) are perfectly suitable if the bride wants to wear them. However, the tradition of a white wedding generally means diamonds.
I am not aware of the last time a British royal bride wore a tiara with coloured stones - though I agree, I see absolutely no reason why they cannot be worn.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Commoner

I wonder could it be a huge surprise.... something none of us thought of. A tiara thats been hidden away for decades, or a necklace thats been converted to a new tiara, or indeed a brand new tiara made from stones from old pieces no longer used.

Catherine has said that she wants what she will be wearing on the day to be a complete surprise to William as its the only thing she can keep secret.... how do we know she hasnt pulled up something from the vaults he has never seen.

This time tomorrow we'll all know :)
Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Courtier

Did you see the photo of Michael Middleton leaving the Goring Hotel yesterday with a leather briefcase and 3-4 men surrounding him? Makes me think that he was carrying something very valuable as I don't believe he has personal protection officers. Maybe he did buy/borrow a tiara for his daughter?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Did you see the photo of Michael Middleton leaving the Goring Hotel yesterday with a leather briefcase and 3-4 men surrounding him? Makes me think that he was carrying something very valuable as I don't believe he has personal protection officers. Maybe he did buy/borrow a tiara for his daughter?

If by briefcase you mean something similar to what my dad takes to the office with him, I doubt a tiara would fit without being smashed. I suppose I'd need to see a picture.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Im sure any tiara that Kate will wear will be delivered tomorrow morning just incase there is a break in or something. The Middletons have been surrounded with bodyguards all day, so I don't think its because of a tiara or anything.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Courtier

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the Middleton's suites at the Goring to find out which tiara it will be! I can't wait! Dumb question: will she wear a tiara tonight?

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding