The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Which tiaras is she allowed to wear??

Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Which tiaras is she allowed to wear??

Theoretically, any tiara owned by the Queen. Or, Charles could buy her one as a wedding gift, or her family could buy her one.

Now, on that note The Spencer tiara won't be worn, the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara won't be worn (too associated with Diana, even though it's possible she could become The Duchess of Cambridge), and the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland won't be worn (it's too associated with the Queen).

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Exactly so, Branch G. Well said. And I would rather see Diana's jewels on her daughter in law Kate, than on Camillia any day of the week.

Any jewelry loaned to Diana during her marriage was returned to the Queen upon her divorce. Any jewelry that was personally owned by Diana at the time of her death, became the property of her family (see: her engagement ring).

So while we may not see Camilla wearing the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, that doesn't mean it's because she doesn't have the right to wear it. The tiara belongs to the crown, and when Camilla is Queen, the jewels will be at her personal disposal. So if she chooses to wear it, she chooses to wear it. The tiara may be "associated" with Diana, but it's not her property. It's the state's.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not true. Diana was permitted to retain all of her royal jewels after the divorce with the proviso they could never be lent or sold. The agreement stated these jewels would pass to Prince William for his wife to wear after her death. Since she died a year later and William was still a minor, the jewels were instead returned to The Queen.

Whether they reappear on Catherine or not is entirely up to The Queen as these jewels are all her personal property. They are not the property of the State or the Crown. The State Regalia, George IV State Diadem and the Indian Circlet all belong to the Crown.

Once Charles is King, it certainly is possible that Camilla could wear the Lover's Knot Tiara as Queen Consort, although given the large selection available to her, I highly doubt she will do so.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Courtier

I thought the poster was talking about Diana's personal Jewelry...which I would love to see on Kate or whom ever Harry ends up marring... but if not.

I have to say while I agree about it being Camillia's right to wear the royal jewels if allowed too..and I have nothing against Camillia...BUT, the first time I saw her wearing the Prince of Wales signet I took a deep gasp and thought oh no...it took me days to recover... Athough, I Knew this was the Prince of Wales' pin, and never belonged to Diana...
Google Image Result for http://www.linksjewel.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/291-300x235.jpg
Old 04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Nobility

So, can Kate keep her engagement ring? Or is it safely tucked away since she will wear band of Welsh gold?
Enlighten me..
Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
So, can Kate keep her engagement ring? Or is it safely tucked away since she will wear band of Welsh gold?
Enlighten me..
Not sure what you mean..if you mean will she wear the engagement ring once she is married...IMO yes, Diana also had a band of Welsh gold which she wore behind her engagement ring. I assume Kate would do the same.

Does that help?? here is a picture of Daina wearing both rings:
EDIT FOR BETTER PICTURE....
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.mydaily.c...dding-ring.jpg
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Gentry

[QUOTE=muriel;1227239]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post

Agree with Lady Ann, an older piece from the royal collection for Catherine ought not to be seen negatively at all by the British people.
I agree too. Most of the pieces in the collection are pieces that the Queen has inherited. It's not like she goes out and buys a new tiara every other week.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I thought the poster was talking about Diana's personal Jewelry...which I would love to see on Kate or whom ever Harry ends up marring... but if not.

I have to say while I agree about it being Camillia's right to wear the royal jewels if allowed too..and I have nothing against Camillia...BUT, the first time I saw her wearing the Prince of Wales signet I took a deep gasp and thought oh no...it took me days to recover... Athough, I Knew this was the Prince of Wales' pin, and never belonged to Diana...
Google Image Result for http://www.linksjewel.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/291-300x235.jpg
I can understand that, but something people need to come to terms with (not necessarily you) is that as Charles' wife, Camilla will be wearing a lot of the same jewels that Diana wore and would have worn, had they not divorced. So yes, she might well end up wearing the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara or any other pieces that have become associated with his late first wife.

Everyone (again, not necessarily you) just needs to move on.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Not sure what you mean..if you mean will she wear the engagement ring once she is married...IMO yes, Diana also had a band of Welsh gold which she wore behind her engagement ring. I assume Kate would do the same.

Does that help?? here is a picture of Daina wearing both rings:
http://10.6.184.61:15871/cgi-bin/blo...ion=3443958319
I must look at this closly on my MAC..I cannot open the link on the netbook..
I was unsure if HRH to be will continue to wear that stunning Sapphire with the Welsh gold band..Lucky Girl...
Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Not true. Diana was permitted to retain all of her royal jewels after the divorce...
Actually this is a hugely confusing issue and I've heard both sides ...they belong to Crown (which is Queen or Charles) or William..... And I've heard both sides say they are right
Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Royal Highness

Per US Magazine-

Accenting Middleton's perfect tresses? A tiara from the royal family collection. Though she has 80 to choose from, the frontrunner is the $10.5 million Strathmore Rose Tiara, which underwent a restoration for the big day. A palace official told Us, "Many of these tiaras have not been touched for almost a century."
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it would be amazing if we saw something new, and by that mean I something old that hasn't seen the light of day in centuries. It would be new to us, and most (if not all) people watching. It would give HM the chance to showpiece some beautiful jewels for the next generation of royals.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Courtier

I have been a fan of the Strathmore Rose Tiara from the start I love it..It is charming and classic...I hope this is true.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Gentry

This would be awesome, if true. The quote of $10.5 million for the Strathmore Tiara, however, makes me thinks this whole thing was made up. Granted, a diamond tiara costs plenty, but there's no way that tiara on its own would be valued at $10.5 million.

This (to my eye) more lavish tiara is "only" 36,000 GBP: http://www.bentley-skinner.co.uk/sea...item=TIARA&m=1.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Royal Highness

But the history if the tiara and who owns it/has woren it may up the value
Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Strathmore Tiara, even fully reset with D quality diamonds, is no way worth $10.5 million. That's crazy.

I hope it's not the Strathmore Tiara. It's pretty ugly in my opinion.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
But the history if the tiara and who owns it/has woren it may up the value
Yes, but not that much. It was only worn by the Queen Mum, and mostly during her days as Duchess of York, before she access to the major jewels. Princess Margaret's Poltimore tiara fetched "only" $1.7 million, and that was a much more spectacular and famous (even though it was worn only once) because it was a wedding tiara.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Royal Highness

US Weekly isn't the most reliable source so it's possible they made it up :)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Princess Margaret's Poltimore tiara fetched "only" $1.7 million, and that was a much more spectacular and famous (even though it was worn only once) because it was a wedding tiara.
Princess Margaret wore the Politmore Tiara many times, not just on her wedding day. It was her primary tiara for years and there are many photographs of her wearing it.

Before her marriage, she borrowed the Scroll Tiara from The Queen or wore the Papyrus Fan Tiara that was a gift from her mother, which she also used for many years.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding