The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Who said anything about him marrying his mother? How abnormal that you came up with that. I still say they will be the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and that this tiara, specifically being held for use by William's wife would have perfect historical attachement to that title.
It's not abnormal at all. So much fuss was made about William giving her Diana's engagement ring with insinuations about a mother fixation it would just stir it up further if she wore the tiara so closely associated with Diana for her wedding. Can you imagine the reaction of the press the moment she stepped withn camera range in her wedding dress wearing this tiara? "The dress is lovely, but LOOK she is wearing DIANA'S TIARA!"

Of course she will more than likely end up wearing many jewels that belonged to Daina at one point or another, and she maay very well wear the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara at some Royal functions. However, for this day I don't see her doing that simply because the focus should be on her and William and not the ghost of Diana.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Gentry

I would really like to see her family gift her a tiara.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Nobility

I'm not sure that the Middletons are rich enough for a nice one they would have to cut back quite a bit
Old 04-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Serene Highness

I would love if William' family gave her one. If not, and as so many have said before, His gradma could gently lent one of hers.
My problem with the Middletons giving a tiara for her is that would give the "moaners" another chance to question them. "they must have planned this for ages, buying the tiara and waiting for the proposal".
I also want to be surprised with a headpiece that carries a special meaning. Kind of the same way it happened in the first engagement in Angelsey. Remember the facinator?! it's clear that some effort was put into it, with the Prince of Wales feathers on the larger badge, for that reason I'm holding my hopes up for something totally appropriate and new.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Nobility

Since I've already mentioned that I think she may wear the fringe tiara, I am going to guess that she will not wear a necklace, but will wear some lovely diamond earrings. If they dangle, they will be restrained, not too chandelier-y. JMHO.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
Since I've already mentioned that I think she may wear the fringe tiara, I am going to guess that she will not wear a necklace, but will wear some lovely diamond earrings. If they dangle, they will be restrained, not too chandelier-y. JMHO.
I think Kate will probably opt out for pearls for any jewelry worn other than her tiara whichever one that may be. Pearls have had a long line of tradition in many cultures over the ages in meaning. Figures the first place I looked up on the meaning of pearls would be HM

What's the Tradition Behind Wearing Pearls for Weddings? - Wedding Questions - Wedding Dress Questions - TheKnot.com
Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

As you've mentioned with Kate's well chosen outfit for her first engagement with William on Anglesy, there was a lot of thought put into what she wore. I don't expect anything less for her wedding day. We have to remember that this dress and whatever else she wears with it is going to become a item of history much like HM's dress, Diana's dress and so forth. For this reason I really don't think Kate will be wearing a new tiara but rather something that has a bit of tradition and/or historical meanings behind it. One thing I think we can bet our bottom doughnuts on is that there will be meaning behind everything she wears. Now... wouldn't it be totally amazing if for something borrowed.. she wore a strand of HM's pearls?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine is not Diana and I think wearing her mother-in-law's jewels isn't going to be such a big deal. People will expect to see Diana's jewels reappearing and the intent was William would inherit all of her royal jewels for his wife to wear as the future Princess of Wales and Queen Consort.

I just don't see what the hoopla is all about. The Lover's Knot Tiara is lovely, has a very strong association with The Queen and her grandmother, in addition to Diana, and Catherine undoubtedly will wear many of Diana's pieces anyway.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Ahh... I like how you put that. I think that really other than her sapphire engagement ring (which actually could actually have been bought by anyone from Garrard's catalog at the time) and the Spencer tiara (and of course her wedding ring), most of the pieces worn by Diana were of significance to the royal family.

The engagement ring given to Kate by William was a special remembrance of a beloved mother. No matter what tiara she wears on her wedding day, it will have significance for both William and Kate. If by chance it was worn previously by Diana, I can only see that as a plus. They're not picking what they wear, or what they do or how they do things with the people and the media in mind and what they'll think, but doing what is important to them and those close to them. Diana was William's mother and I'd think it quite odd if her memory didn't serve as a big part of their day.

On Diana's ring:

"Unlike many celebrity engagement rings, when the public must hypothesize about an engagement ring's price and jewelers are sworn to discretion and secrecy about their client's privacy, the public knew the cost of Diana's engagement ring instantly. It was actually a piece in the regular Garrard catalog and therefore could be purchased by anyone, for the hefty price of 28,000 British pounds, or the equivalent of $65,000 (at 1981 exchange rates)."

Princess Diana's Engagement Ring - LoveToKnow Engagement Rings
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
...I think we can bet our bottom doughnuts on is that there will be meaning behind everything she wears. Now... wouldn't it be totally amazing if for something borrowed.. she wore a strand of HM's pearls?
I'll be betting on your team :). and about the pearls, well, I would love to see that just to read the reactions of some obnoxious people.That's too harsh but nonetheless true :P
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
I would love to see the Kokoshnik Tiara or the Fringe Tiara on Kate.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Catherine is not Diana and I think wearing her mother-in-law's jewels isn't going to be such a big deal. People will expect to see Diana's jewels reappearing and the intent was William would inherit all of her royal jewels for his wife to wear as the future Princess of Wales and Queen Consort.

I just don't see what the hoopla is all about. The Lover's Knot Tiara is lovely, has a very strong association with The Queen and her grandmother, in addition to Diana, and Catherine undoubtedly will wear many of Diana's pieces anyway.
Exactly so, Branch G. Well said. And I would rather see Diana's jewels on her daughter in law Kate, than on Camillia any day of the week.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Exactly so, Branch G. Well said. And I would rather see Diana's jewels on her daughter in law Kate, than on Camillia any day of the week.
Correct me if I am wrong, however my understanding is that any jewels personally owned by Diana went to William and Harry. Any important jewels belonging to the Queen that was gifted or loaned to Diana went back to the Queen after the divorce or upon Diana's death. This Includes the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara. Any jewels that were gifted to the Prince of Wales from his Grandmother belong to the Prince of Wales. Camilla doesn't have access to Diana's personal jewel collection since they are property of Princes William and Harry. Not that she would want to wear them. She has plenty of lovely jewels that are more suited for her.

I really don't see the Queen gifting the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara to Kate/Catherine. Although the tiara has significant history, it is identified most with Diana since the 1980's. I don't see the Queen wanting to encourage comparisons.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
I have no problem with Kate wearing the Cambridge Lover's knot, just not for the wedding. . . . .
Exactly! She has time to grow into the Lover's Knot but it really is too much associated with Diana for her to wear at her wedding. It would eclipse everything, and yes they are right, the media would overlook just about every other aspect of the wedding to drool over the fact she was wearing "Diana's Tiara". Everything else would pale into insignificance
Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 AM
Royal Highness

In the current climate I don't think the queen would offer Catherine something from her private possession (her "vaults") to wear which hasn't been seen for decades. It's not good IMHo to remind the media that the queen owns so much jewelery never in use...

But there are the pieces of the "Royal collection" which are more or less "public possession" as the queen just keeps them for her heir and thus the "nation". Aren't there any suitable tiaras?

I could see her well eg wearing the "Orange Blossom"-necklace as a headband instead of a tiara...

Royal Collection - Pieces from the orange blossom parure
Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I would love to see the Kokoshnik Tiara or the Fringe Tiara on Kate.
I think you may have a to wait a while to see Kate in the Kokoshnik. The fringe is certainly a possibility for the wedding, and one I am rooting for!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I could see her well eg wearing the "Orange Blossom"-necklace as a headband instead of a tiara...

Royal Collection - Pieces from the orange blossom parure
IMHO the orange blossom necklace as a headband would be too young (juvenile) for Kate. Pieces like that would be wonderful on the child attendants though.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
In the current climate I don't think the queen would offer Catherine something from her private possession (her "vaults") to wear which hasn't been seen for decades. It's not good IMHo to remind the media that the queen owns so much jewelery never in use...
I don't think there is anyone who is NOT awear that the Queen has many possessions in her "vaults" that we have not seen in decades or at all for that matter ( in most of our life times at least) ..so I think this is a moot point... IMO I hope she does pull something rich in history for Kate. Great to see the old pieces used again.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Agree with Lady Ann, an older piece from the royal collection for Catherine ought not to be seen negatively at all by the British people.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Aristocracy

Kataryn, Are you serious? I think the people would be happier if the Queen dusted off some old jewels, then purchase new ones. I for one, would love to see something new, but it would probably be best if it came from the Middleton's......

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding