Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Girls of Britain and Ireland" tiara needs to be on Kate's head for that wedding. Nothing else will suffice, unless of course it's the Lover's knot. However, I think that would burden Catherine with the memory of Princess Di.....as much as I love her.

As much as I LOVE the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland, I just don't see HM lending it to Catherine. But if she did, I think that would speak volumes about how the queen feels about this marriage and Catherine.

And I also think the Lover's Knot is beautiful and perhaps someday would love to see Catherine wear it. My fear for that one is that it is supposedly a rather heavy tiara. I'd hate for her to get a headache from wearing it on her wedding day.:headache:

The more I see the Strathmore, the more I like it. It's beautiful, elegant, smaller (but still stately imo), and just seems to "fit" with Catherine's style.

Whichever it will be, she will be gorgeous! Only 22 more days till we find out!

Last edited:
The "Girls of Britain and Ireland" tiara needs to be on Kate's head for that wedding. Nothing else will suffice, unless of course it's the Lover's knot. However, I think that would burden Catherine with the memory of Princess Di.....as much as I love her.

The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara is too closely associated with the Queen, and thus is very, very, very, very unlikely that Catherine will be wearing it on her wedding day. I agree that it would be nice, but there's a greater chance of William's aunt Sarah doing the Hokey Pokey at the wedding breakfast than Catherine getting that tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! The DM thickens the tiara plot... And I've occupied myself with wondering endlessly which one she will wear! The idea that she might not wear one never occurred. Silly me.

I'd like to think the DM report is probably wrong, but who knows???

The Daily Mail isn't exactly known for quality journalism. I cannot imagine Catherine won't be wearing a tiara on her wedding day.

Yes, why not.
The Queen herself didn't wear a tiara on her weddingday, so it's not as if Catherine would do something new and unheard of.

Yes, why not.
The Queen herself didn't wear a tiara on her weddingday, so it's not as if Catherine would do something new and unheard of.

The Queen actually wore the fringe tiara on her wedding day.

Lmarch said:

That tiara needs to stay off Catherines head until she deserves it. Something simple for Catherine will be fine.

All recent royal brides have worn a tiara [I count The Countess of Wessex as wearing a tiara, even if perhaps it was not what some of us were expecting] at some stage during the Church ceremony. From memory, only The Duchess of York walked up the Aisle in a floral band; she then had a tiara on when she and the Duke of York walked back down the aisle.

Looking at things logically, these are my musings:

A although I have no proof of this whatsover, I don't think that the Middleton family have a family tiara. However, there would be nothing to stop them hiring or buying one for the occasion, though. The Duchess of York originally hired a tiara from Garrard [Crown Jewellers at the time] which the Queen generously bought for Sarah.

B Catherine will need something to secure her veil; I cannot think that she will not have a veil. This is after all the marriage of the elder son of the Prince of Wales and at Westminster Abbey.

C. Although a lot of the official information coming from BP about the wedding includes information which suggests certain - slight less formal practices [ is perhaps the best phrase] - being adopted at the wedding - Catherine to travel by car, there will be a minibus/coach to ferry guests, Prince Harry will be 'Best Man' rather than a 'Supporter', Chocolate Cake will be available as well as a the more traditional wedding cake etc- I don't really think of Catherine [or Prince William for that matter] as 'rebellious' [not perhaps the right word, but hopefully you will see what I mean] I therefore cannot really see her putting up the sort of resistance that the DM is apparently suggesting. [Let me make this perfectly clear, this is entirely my own opinion.] I have never met Kate, but I have seen her a few times, and she has always struck me as polite and I therefoe think that she would be reasonably - is compliant the word I am looking for - over something like this. In other words, I just don't think she would 'rock the boat' too much.

D. Royal Family brides do adhere to the 'something old / new/ borrowed/ blue' tradition. Perhaps someone can help me here, but i seem to remember being told [we are going back 30 years or so] that the Princess of Wales had a little blue ribbon bow somewhere and that her 'borrowed' was the Spencer family tiara. By my reckoning, 'borrowing a tiara' from the queen would fit in nicely here. The loan might even be 'long-term'; whilst we have been told that Prince William is going to continue his service career, he and Catherine will still be attending formal state occasions [Catherine perhaps even by herself if Prince William's operational duties keep him away from [e.g.] a State Banquet etc. Catherine is therefore going to need a tiara at some stage, and to get used to wearing it - they are quite heavy! The Royal Wedding would therefore be as good as any place to start wearing one!

Please note that what I have set out above includes my own speculation and opinions - they are not facts; I have no inside information on this.

The Queen actually wore the fringe tiara on her wedding day.

*scratches head*
Now, how did I end up with that idea, then?
Thanks for the correction. :)

Don't forget...

.....and a sixpence in your shoe!!!

Hello KittyAtlanta, forgive my question, but which photo is on your avatar? Maybe someone famous? I try to find but failed. Happy if you answer my question.

The photoshopping was pretty good, however I'm confident Kate will wear a tiara during the whole ceremony or reveal it after the register signing, much like the Duchess of York did. I sure hope Kate looks better than Autumn Kelly, :whistling: She looked way too natural for my tastes and her hair was a bit messy.

All recent royal brides have worn a tiara [I count The Countess of Wessex as wearing a tiara, even if perhaps it was not what some of us were expecting] at some stage during the Church ceremony. From memory, only The Duchess of York walked up the Aisle in a floral band; she then had a tiara on when she and the Duke of York walked back down the aisle.

Sarah Ferguson was wearing a tiara, it was just obscured by the flowers and front part of the veil. When she emerged from signing the register, that part of the veil and the flowers had been removed, and the tiara was then visible.

Of course, so far, no one is 100% sure, but I'm putting on my coins on Kate wearing a tiara, any. Come'on! I would be very upset otherwise :bang: :ROFLMAO:
If she doesn't wear one, we should demand a 1 minute of silence in this thread!

SLV said:
*scratches head*

The Queen Mother did not wear a tiara, though some wear she did, she did not so maybe that's where it came from :)

I have so much excitement about this wedding, that if Kate doesn't wear a tiara or has a boring dress, I may never think of the Royals as Royals ever again. Call me shallow if you will, but when it comes to the BRF I expect Pomp........... Wearing flowers in and a tiara out wouldn't be bad at all. If I was torn as to what to do as a royal bride, thats probably what I would do. Sarah done good ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarah Ferguson was wearing a tiara, it was just obscured by the flowers and front part of the veil. When she emerged from signing the register, that part of the veil and the flowers had been removed, and the tiara was then visible.

Thank you for that , Yes, I agree - I had in fact made this point properly on an earlier thread, but just did not express this clearly in my current post. Actually, Sarah would have had to have been wearing the tiara under the veil/band of flowers, because it would have taken too long to fix a tiara and veil properly in the Vestry.

I must say that if Catherine takes the same approach, she has chosen a lovely time of year for her wedding, because it is Spring and I think Spring Flowers are lovely.

The Queen Mother didn't wear a tiara when she married the-then Duke of York, and her dress was rather plain and boring, at least owing to the fashion of the times. I don't think it made her any less royal.

I'm 99.99999% certain that Catherine will have a tiara on her head when she gets married, but if for some reason she chooses not to, and just goes with a nice array of flowers and maybe a jeweled pin to anchor her veil, it's not going to change who she is, or what she'll become.

I have so much excitement about this wedding, that if Kate doesn't wear a tiara or has a boring dress, I may never think of the Royals as Royals ever again. Call me shallow if you will, but when it comes to the BRF I expect Pomp...........

Let's face it, even a "low-key" wedding by BRF standards is immeasurably grander than anything we would normally see in real life. I'll still be interested.

The queen mother did not wear a tiara but, at the time of her marriage, she was not marrying an heir, therefore was not expected to one day be queen. Kate is marrying the heir's heir, so perhaps that may make a stronger case for tiara-wearing...

I don't know about you all, but I'm getting pretty excited. Frankly, I have a feeling we're all going to be surprised, and in a good way in regards to her dress and tiara.

I suppose we should all wish them well, happiness, heath, and a long life! :)

The queen mother did not wear a tiara but, at the time of her marriage, she was not marrying an heir, therefore was not expected to one day be queen. Kate is marrying the heir's heir, so perhaps that may make a stronger case for tiara-wearing...

Who you're marrying doesn't determine if you wear a tiara or not. I mean, Sarah and Sophie both wore tiaras when they married, and neither Andrew nor Edward are expected to be king. It's all down to personal preference. The Queen Mother chose to wear a band of myrtle with a York rose on each side, which was as symbolic as any tiara would have been, but the fact she chose not to wear one had little to do I believe, with the fact that the Duke of York was not expected to become king.

I suppose the two weeks ahead us before the week of the wedding will be the longest weeks of all. Nothing knew to learn from the official website, I hope (and I'm confident) there will be a photo opportunity before the wedding with the prince of wales and new photos released the week of the wedding like the 25 26 27 april? and maybe a interview with Piers Morgan, or with anybody else? What do you think?

If you, like me, long for this wedding to happen, 14 days ain't that bad. Don't forget on monday they will have one more engagement so that should distract us a bit.
If Piers Morgan get to interview them , it would be after the wedding. I can't see William and Catherine wanting to reveal details before the ceremony.

I do hope she wears tiara - I think she will, I couldn't find a first wedding in the Windsors since the Queen mother where one was not worn, likewise, the brides in the weddings of their contemporaries seem to have worn them as well.
QEII, Princess Margaret, Princess Anne (first marriage,) Diana, and Sarah all wore tiaras, as did Sophie, Lady Helen Windsor (1992,) Serena when she married Viscount Linley, and Lady Sarah Armstrong Jones.
More recently, Autumn wore one when she married Peter, Lady Tamara Grovesnor wore one in 2004, when she married Edward Van Cutsem, Rose Astor wore one in 2005 for her wedding to Hugh Van Cutsem, Lady Rose Windsor wore one in 2008, Sophie Winkleman wore one in 2009, when she married Lord Frederick Windsor, Alice Haddon Patton wore one for her marriage to Captain Nicholas Van Cutsem in 2009, and Lady Katie Percy wore a huge tiara for her wedding this year.

Will all this "modern" thinking, I am starting to doubt that she won't wear any tiara in any time of her life, as Princess of Wales or as Queen. :s

*scratches head*
You were probably thinking of the Queen Mother! She wore a myrtle band with a rose on each side. Ugh!!!

I really do hope she chooses to wear a tiara! Couldn't she do both; wear a tiara and have a couple of flowers in her hair? If she would have a nice updo (I do hope she will be wearing her hair up in some kind of a nice hairdo like the ones we see Crown Princess Mary and Crown Princess Victoria wear), she could have a couple of roses or orchids in her hair and the tiara with the veil. Or, compromise and wear a floral tiara! ;)

I think a lot of people will be disappointed if Catherine decides to be "plain" and "ordinary" or in her words "modern". We see floral hair arrangements and cheap tiaras all the time at weddings. Finally we have a chance to be able to see something glittery and beautiful and she wants to break the tradition... :bang: I come from a country where there's no royals so I want to see tiaras! Here's hoping she will be wearing them in the future too.

I can just about accept Prince William not wearing his wedding ring (funnily enough, here in Finland it used to be the tradition that both get plain engagement rings and only the bride gets the wedding ring) but no tiara... What's next, she doesn't want any titles either?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom