Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fringe is unlikely just because I do think it will be worn by Zara at her wedding.

Irresepective of whether Catherine wears the fringe or not, IMO, Zara will not be using the fringe tiara. Instead, I think she will wear one of the tiaras that Anne regularly uses: either the Greek Meander tiara or the Festoon tiara that Autumn wore at her wedding.

I would not mind seeing Kate in the Lover's Knot ...and hearing them called Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would put the icing on the wedding cake for me...

I think she will wear one of the tiaras that Anne regularly uses

Quite true. Zara will, I'm sure, use one of her mothers tiara's.

She won't wear the fringe.

I think that we will have to wait untill after the wedding to see "the good stuff". Not long to go now.

noldorlord said:
I think that we will have to wait untill after the wedding to see "the good stuff". Not long to go now.

I keep hoping they'll do a formal function before the wedding and that she's received a nice piece as an engagement present, but that's probably wishful thinking!

Perhaps William will use his mother's wedding band? Just a thought.
Personally, as I myself was given my husband's deceased grandmother's wedding band 20 years ago, I am proud to wear it every day. I hope that the two of them are happily married for many decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really gunning for the fringe tiara now, partially because fringe tiaras are my favorites. Even though it's been mostly associated with the female Windsor line--the Queen Mum, the Queen and the Princess Royal--I think it would be perfect for Catherine. The Queen Mum stopped wearing it, more or less, by the 50s. The Queen and Princess Royal really only wore them on their wedding days, although, I guess the Queen has worn it a few times since the Queen Mum's death.
I guess the only probably with Catherine wearing it on her wedding day is if Zara is to continue the female-line bridal tradition, it would be awkward seeing her wearing it 3 months after Catherine's wedding.

It is my choice as well for the reasons you listed perfectly. It has almost become the "wedding" tiara for the family so I don't mind if Zara were to wear it. Though I do think the Greek tiara would look nice on her.

I hope the Queen or Camilla provide Catherine with a nice pair of diamond or pearl and diamond earrings to wear for the wedding.

For this exact reason I believe that we will see the Lover's Knot Tiara at the wedding. But we shall see.

i think we will see the Lover's Knot tiara also because William probably remembers times seeing his mum all dressed up with it on. Gazing at Kate in her bridal finery, he'll also have a gentle reminder that in a way, his mum is there with him on his special day. Especially too if he is named the Duke of Cambridge prior to the wedding.

If Kate does wear the Lover's Knot, I then expect her to choose to wear pearls.

Lookie, lookie! An article from the National Post (seems to be a Canadian paper), which includes a link to our Aestheticus Rex's blog post on this subject:

Post Primer: Kate Middleton’s royal wedding headgear | Posted | National Post

This article seems a little far-fetched because it states that Camilla is entitled to wear the Lover's Knot tiara. While that may be true in theory I highly doubt that would ever happen. I think they don't know what she will get so they are making things up. Also people just want to jump on the Lover's Knot Tiara bandwagon because Diana wore it. That doesn't mean that Kate will get it as well. The article then goes on to say that Kate got to walk in a room and pick which tiara she wanted. That seems very theatrical and un-Queen like.

Though I will say that it is always fun to speculate and I guess that is what they are doing.

If Kate does wear the Lover's Knot, I then expect her to choose to wear pearls.
Diana's pearl chocker with the small saphire pendant in the front, would be a simple beautiful touch with it.

I hope it is either the lover's knot, or the strathmore rose. I know it is far smaller and more delicate, but would look beautiful on her. And for the bride of a grandson and not son of a monarch, maybe more fitting. I am hoping not to see the Fringe.

I have a feeling we are going to see Catherine wear something totally new on the day of her wedding. Something that will totally identify with her.

I think she's going to have a new tiara or tiara-like accessory, as well. Perhaps no tiara at all (I know, but it's a distinct possibility).

I think she's going to have a new tiara or tiara-like accessory, as well. Perhaps no tiara at all (I know, but it's a distinct possibility).

Perhaps a new tiara, but no tiara? No. It is royal tradition for brides to wear a tiara. If Autumn Philips, the bride of a female line grandchild, wore a tiara, I doubt Catherine will not have one on. It may be a new creation, or one that has not been worn in a long time. It is why I'd like to see the strathmore rose, it isn't one associated with Diana, nor has it been worn recently. Its delicate, small, and suitable for the wife of a grandson of the monarch.

why cross the bridge before u get toit, relax enjoy wait nobody better than the GB royal family specially the queen knows what to do and when

PrincessKaimi said:

I also think she'll go with no tiara, not sure why but that's my guess

gonzalo said:
why cross the bridge before u get toit, relax enjoy wait nobody better than the GB royal family specially the queen knows what to do and when

Do you mean why speculate on the tiara? Because it's what the thread asks, and it's enjoyable for some.....why be on a forum if not to discuss? :) it's fun!

I also think she'll go with no tiara, not sure why but that's my guess

Why wouldn't she? She is marrying into the royal family. She will be a princess or duchess, by way of marriage, a member of royalty. One will expect certain traditions to be followed. If minor members of the family like Autumn Philips, and the Windsor cousins wear them, I'd assume a tiara of some form, whether new or old, will be seen.

Look at the out cry for not arriving in a carriage by tradition. No royal wedding in GB is complete without a tiara.

If GB is so strong on tiaras, she'll wear one, I'm sure (unless tomorrow we find out that one of the couples' goals is to continue to break with tradition; as in inserting non-traditional elements into their ceremony, etc.) Which tiara did Princess Anne wear?

anne.jpg

Princess Anne wore the Fringe Tiara also worn by her Mother.

The National Post is Canada's nation-wide paper that tends toward the conservative side of things; The Globe and Mail is the nation-wide paper that's more on the liberal side of things.

Lookie, lookie! An article from the National Post (seems to be a Canadian paper),

QE and Princess Anne wear it very differently. So this is the one that some here hope Kate does not wear.

And which tiara did the Queen Mum wear?

1218062.jpg

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but Princess Anne definitely used a lot of veiling with the Fringe Tiara, so that one sees the veil first and the tiara later. And with the Queen Mum, I'm having an even harder time seeing the tiara.

I know she's not British, but did Princess Grace wear a tiara? Is there a tiara involved here? I love the way her headpiece so completely melds with her dress and nothing takes away from her lovely face (Kate is lovely, too), but was this a tiara or merely a bridal headpiece?

grace-kelly-bride-7904401.jpg

Last edited:
Gracde didn't wear a tiara on her wedding day, her headpiece has been copied over and over again by many brides

That's what I thought, Auntie. If it works, it works - and it really enhances her beauty. It doesn't look like Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon wore one either. As a princess of the blood, of course Princess Elizabeth wore one, but her mother doesn't appear to have worn one (and as a commoner, I think Grace Kelly was properly inspired not to wear one either).

Of course I would like to see one as much as the next person, but my intuition says that may not be the direction Kate's style is taking.

Thanks for the help on tiara-spotting, everyone.

I could be wrong but I am quite sure the queen mother wore her own tiara. The strathmore rose, which has been mentioned numerous times here as one for Kate to wear. The strathmore rose was a gift from Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th earl of Strathmore and Kinghornee, to his nineth child, Elizabeth, on her wedding day. I'd assume if he gave it to her as a wedding gift she wore it, and she does look to have something under her veil. If you look at photos of the strathmore, its quite delicate and concealable.

Grace is not a princess of GB so it doesn't mean anything for a British wedding. It might indicate what Charlene wears.

The most recent british brides, moving away from the cupcake dresses, and some very removed from the throne have worn them.

Rose Windsor
http://mrpoplife.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/07/19/windsor_wedding_11_wenn1983221.jpg

Autumn Philips
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/22/article-1021316-014902C100000578-752_468x436.jpg

Lord Frederick's bride seems to be wearing a much smaller one

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Lord+Frederick+Windsor+Sophie+Winkleman+Wedding+g1A3oYMC646l.jpg

:previous:
It is, and I don't think the larger tiara looked too much because the dress was so simple and elegant.

Rose really did look stunning on her wedding day. Wonderful choice of tiara as well.

Thank you for that wonderful picture of Rose. I agree, she looks exquisite. The tiara really makes the ensemble, in this instance (and she could have had long hair and it would still have been beautiful). Great choice of tiara indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom