The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
You may be right about the Lotus flower tiara. If thats then case, then I think that might be a good choice for Kate on her wedding day.

Viscount Linley made her that beechwood tiara which is quite charming, but if I were Serena, I would have wanted the Poltimore. The Beechwood is a poor substitute for the Queen of tiaras.... the Poltimore. Trageddy that it was sold........
I was captivated by the Poltimore when I viewed it at the Christie's pre-sale exhibition. Agreed, it was sad to see it go. I had no idea about the beechwood tiara, clever, but no substitute.

AR

Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

A WOODEN tiara? That is just hideous.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Delhi Durbar diadem was definitely modified to be worn as a tiara for Camilla. There was a photo posted somewhere of her turning her head slightly in the car while wearing it showing it was no longer enclosed.

The royal collection of jewels sitting in the vault unused is said to be enormous, so I'm sure any number of pieces could be modified to practical use as a tiara for Catherine, assuming the cost of Garrard's doing the work is worth it versus just buying her a newly-designed one.
Strange! I have a photo of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess in their car and there the Delhi Durbar looks very much still enclosed.
Here's the photo - Link

Bobby
Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Royal Highness

The beechwood tiara was specially designed for the tiara exhibition which Geoffrey Munn organized in 2002. Viscount Linley runs a furniture company and primarily works with wood. Therefore it made perfectly sense for him to craft a wooden tiara for this exhibition, imo. I think that this tiara should be rather seen as a piece of contemporary art and not as a piece of jewellery for worn a glittering white tie events.
Actually it is not publicly known who owns the papyrus tiara now. Personally I believe that the Linley's did not auction off all of Princess Margaret's heirlooms and that they kept this tiara. Therefore I'd be extremely surprised if Kate will receive the papyrus tiara.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince.of.preslav View Post
Strange! I have a photo of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess in their car and there the Delhi Durbar looks very much still enclosed.
Here's the photo - Link
Bobby
Quite. There is no evidence whatsoever to show that the Delhi Durbar tiara has been sliced open at the back.
In fact, the evidence (eg the picture above and video of the DOC at a Buckingham Palace banquet) indicates that it remains as it ever was, a circlet or diadem.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Scroll or Teck Diamond tiara why not.
Maybe some diamond fringe tiara is free? Or how about convertible necklace/tiara? Catherine should recive diamond or colour stones tiara?
About old tiara from royal jewelry box they can reinstall it or give to the Garrard's do it.
Btw Bentley&Skinner has few not expencive and heavy.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Aristocracy

The bentley and skinner flower tiara would be a great choice IMO, as would the Teck circle necklace tiara.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
The bentley and skinner flower tiara would be a great choice IMO, as would the Teck circle necklace tiara.
Did you mean this one? IMO, its similar to Sarah's.

Bentley & Skinner
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Aristocracy

yes. but it isn't anything like Sarah's garrard tiara.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Heir Apparent

The B&S flower tiara would be lovely for Catherine to wear at her wedding. Its also at a price level that her parents could probably afford to spend on her.

That said, if this was one her parents were buying for her, I would not expect to see it being available on the website.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Aristocracy

The B&S tiara has been for sale for several months. I actually thought about buying it myself. I would love for Kate to have it .... it is lovely.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Commoner

Wink Jewellery who does it belong to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I wonder which of Diana's jewels we'll start seeing in the near future!
Its Charlie's jewellery and will stay in his family as Kate is not royalty and has no claim over it. It will stay in the Windsors family.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Strange indeed. The car photo is what made me believe that the tiara was still kept enclosed, especially since any major alteration to the DD happened before Cam's entered the picture.

I like the pearl and diamond tiara on B&S. It looks lovely as a tiara and necklace!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Few other which were sold by B&S
Bentley & Skinner or Bentley & Skinner

Maybe she should recive some parure you know tiara, necklace, braclets?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somersby Tulip View Post
Its Charlie's jewellery and will stay in his family as Kate is not royalty and has no claim over it. It will stay in the Windsors family.
It's not Charles' jewellery, it belongs to his family and Diana wore it when she was alive. If Charles bought her jewellery, then it belongs to Diana. If Kate is "given" some of Diana's jewellery to keep, should she ever divorce William, then it's hers to keep.
Kate being royalty has nothing to do with jewellery.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Quite. There is no evidence whatsoever to show that the Delhi Durbar tiara has been sliced open at the back.
In fact, the evidence (eg the picture above and video of the DOC at a Buckingham Palace banquet) indicates that it remains as it ever was, a circlet or diadem.
It may still be enclosed, but if you look at the period images it now seems to pitch at an outward angle toward the top. In Mary's reign it was straight as a gate circling her wiglet.

AR
Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

But that is because of the alteration that happened before the Duchess wore it. They removed the very top layer of the tiara and that makes it seem much more open. Plus QMary and QMum wore it straight on top of their heads where as Camilla wore it angled back giving a wider impression.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestheticus Rex View Post
I thought so...The Durbar had such straight sides in Mary's time and it is definitely angled now.

This is a fantastic photograph of three generations (out of four) wearing the same tiara. Indeed, continuity is one of the very few advantages in having a monarchy and this photograph is an example of the obvious continuity of a reigning house. Also, I think Camilla looks the best of the three ladies in this diadem.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc View Post
The scroll tiara would be lovely whether she wears her hair up or down. I noticed in recent posts references to the recent auction of the Portland Collection. The diamond, pearl and sapphire tiara are gorgeous and would complement Catherine's ring and beautiful eyes. Would there ever be a chance that Prince Charles would buy a piece of jewellery from auction for Kate or is it more likely that she would receive something from the Queen's collection?

THE PORTLAND ANTIQUE SAPPHIRE, DIAMOND AND NATURAL PEARL TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, tiara | Christie's
I hope that Prince Charles does not buy antique jewellery for Catherine (as he did for Lady Di) because I think that the Windsors need modern jewellery in the collection and not more old stuff. Also, I feel that Catherine Middleton would suit the Strathmore Rose tiara, the scroll tiara or the fringe tiara that the Queen wears and which does not convert into a necklace like the fragile Georgian one that the Queen and Princess Anne wore at their Abbey weddings.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Gentry

i think the dehli durbar looks diffrent without the diamond and boy if was put back on it would more fantastic and that would be a a amazing sight the deli as it was a stunning tiara /diadem :)

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding